Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimi for williams 2012 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Was watching Euronews this morning and Rubens was very Bullish about driving for williams next year.

I wonder will we see Kimi and Grosjean driving for Renault next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was surprised to hear Williams were talking to Kimi but I never really thought it would happen as unfortunately, Williams are too far back on the grid. Renault are probably the best team with an open seat at present.

Assuming he fully recovers, Kubica to Ferrari in 2013 is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

G-Money wrote: »

Assuming he fully recovers, Kubica to Ferrari in 2013 is my bet.

Sadly I can never see Kubica coming back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I dont think Petrov has done enough to secure his seat, Senna has impressed everybody and Kubica wont be back IMO.

YEah in his half season Bruno has done a lot to dispell the doubts that he only got into F1 because of his surname. I thought he was very impressive and really showed Petrov up in the second half of the season. With the exception of Australia Petrov did very little of note this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Senna is very marketable & the Brazilian economy is doing relatively well. He is also articulate, polite & great PR material. However I predict the nationalistic trend will continue & that Renault will eventually want two French drivers.

Big test for Kimi & I am not sure that he will pass. Normally you take on a mature driver for the input that they can give the team. Kimi was notorious for hardly talking to the engineers. He will only of signed on the basis that he gets preferential treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Discodog wrote: »
    He will only of signed on the basis that he gets preferential treatment.

I am sure Lotus Renault said he is number one driver.

Hope they up their game next season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1/4 of the grid next year will be made up of F1 world champions. Yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Enderman wrote: »
    1/4 of the grid next year will be made up of F1 world champions. Yes please!

Great stuff isin't it! :D

vectra wrote: »
    I am sure Lotus Renault said he is number one driver.

Hope they up their game next season.

It will be interesting to see how he will perform at Lotus next year. Lotus Renault had a good start to season, then they slipped back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If Renault and Mercedes both didn't go ahead and start with a clean sheet a good while ago they need to fire some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

all i can say is *DANG*... felt like tuning out after this season with a large number of races being snorefests with only hamiltons antics providing something :p Look forward now to seeing the iceman back in a hopefully capable car :)

Here's to him blasting mr moany alonso off the track :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

amacachi wrote: »
    If Renault and Mercedes both didn't go ahead and start with a clean sheet a good while ago they need to fire some people.

I think we might see that happening fairly soon. Kimi and Eric Boullier had a fairly public spat towards the end of last season. I've got a feeling that this deal might mean that Boullier is on his way out.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I actually quite like Petrov he is refreshlingly honest but I dont think he is up to the task at hand.

I can see him in the sport next year. Perhaps he might end up in a HRT, a team which could do with the money he brings.

MudSkipper wrote: »
    all i can say is *DANG*... felt like tuning out after this season with a large number of races being snorefests with only hamiltons antics providing something :p Look forward now to seeing the iceman back in a hopefully capable car :)

Here's to him blasting mr moany alonso off the track :D

What a kick in the face that would be to Ferrari after they handing Kimi a lump of cash to make way for Alonso.. To this day I cannot see the justification in that move.

What a kick in the face that would be to Ferrari after they handing Kimi a lump of cash to make way for Alonso.. To this day I cannot see the justification in that move.

Alonso is just about the best driver right now.

Obviously.. He has beaten everyone on track since he went to Ferrari hasn't he :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Obviously.. He has beaten everyone on track since he went to Ferrari hasn't he :rolleyes:

Not saying I agree with him that Alonso is the best driver on the grid currently but Rome wasn't built in a day, it took MSC 4 seasons at Ferrari and we all know what happened there.

Not saying I agree with him that Alonso is the best driver on the grid currently but Rome wasn't built in a day, it took MSC 4 seasons at Ferrari and we all know what happened there.

It only took Kimi one year at Ferrari and we all know what happened there LOL :D

INot going off topic but I still say Schumacher had the best car and the most obliging team mates when he won most of those titles.
    As with Alonso.
    Had the better car when he won both titles.. He hasnt done much since to be fair.

I still think he is over rated. ( Alonso )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

INot going off topic but I still say Schumacher had the best car and the most obliging team mates when he won most of those titles.
    As with Alonso.
    Had the better car when he won both titles.. He hasnt done much since to be fair.

I still think he is over rated. ( Alonso )

I dont think Alonso had the best car in 2006 in 05 the Renault clearly started the season with a dominant car in both seasons but in 06 by the halfway mark Schumacher went on a rampage and Ferrari won seven of the last nine races. When Alonso needed to get a result he pulled it out of the bag in Japan and that effectively clinched the title for him.
    The year before saw Raikkonen and Alonso battle for the title and both took seven wins. McLaren won more races than Renault and each team took seven poles. Kimi's reliability was the main limiting factor in his season not an inherit lack of pace from the McLaren

Even if you want to believe that Schumi and Alonso had the best car on the grid you could say the same about Hamilton, Button and Vettel in the last four years. Even in 2007 when Raikkonen won the title Ferrari won more races and had more poles than McLaren(9:8 on both counts) and the red cars also had 12 fastest laps in 17 races.
    Fangio always moved teams to go to whoever gave him the best chance of winning titles. Building a team, ala Schumacher and Alonso, is a much more difficult skill and showed their ability and regard on the grid-the best wanted to work with them. Both drivers would have been able to demand one year contracts and move to whichever team offered them the best package for the next year yet they felt it more important to build a team

As the fella said "Time will tell"

Everyone will probably have a big fight on their hands to beat the Bull's again anyway so I guess midfield will be more interesting

• Advertisement

He has consistent driven well in an often poor car. His starts are superb. You obviously can't tell the difference between car & driver performance.

There have been rumours of Kimi's return for ages yet none of the major teams showed interest. Kimi has some bridge building to do:

Former Formula One world champion Kimi Raikkonen has angrily rejected talk he could make a return to F1 next season driving for Renault.
    The 2007 champion now drives in the world rally championship, but Renault boss Eric Boullier said Raikkonen had been in touch about coming back to F1.
    But the former Ferrari driver, now 30, criticised Renault for using his name for "their own marketing purposes".
    "It's 100% certain I will not drive for Renault in 2011," said Raikkonen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9065307.stm

You obviously can't tell the difference between car & driver performance.

I assume what you mean is that the F60 was a bucket and must have taken some driver to make it perform?

As for this post you have lost me. What are you trying to say?
    Former Formula One world champion Kimi Raikkonen has angrily rejected talk he could make a return to F1 next season driving for Renault.
    The 2007 champion now drives in the world rally championship, but Renault boss Eric Boullier said Raikkonen had been in touch about coming back to F1.
    But the former Ferrari driver, now 30, criticised Renault for using his name for "their own marketing purposes".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9065307.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well he was spot on there wasn't he

This will he won't he stuff is getting tiring, he's a great driver, but all this fanfare is a bit much at this stage.

As for this post you have lost me. What are you trying to say?

The article speaks for itself. Kimi had a public row with Renault & Boulier, & said that he was not joining the team & now he is. Maybe he changed his mind because no one else was interested or because of the money - he is one of the richest sportsmen in the World.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well he was spot on there wasn't he

This will he won't he stuff is getting tiring, he's a great driver, but all this fanfare is a bit much at this stage.

He is just another driver. Schumi was going to set the world alight on his return & .......... But I would of dropped Schumi & signed Sutil :D

If Kubica had made a full recovery there is no was that any team would sign Kimi ahead of him.

I am of two minds about the return of past drivers. It's great for viewing figures but damaging for the younger talent & anyone driving alongside Kimi will be a definite No2. I wonder how Kimi will react if his team mate is quicker ? It took Schumi a long time to adapt because the cars are very different now.

As with any driver change these days it is very hard to separate how much of it is about talent & how much is about money.

I assume what you mean is that the F60 was a bucket and must have taken some driver to make it perform?

Well Luca gave it 5 out of 10 so by Ferrari standards it was poor.

The article speaks for itself. Kimi had a public row with Renault & Boulier, & said that he was not joining the team & now he is. Maybe he changed his mind because no one else was interested or because of the money - he is one of the richest sportsmen in the World.

It was Renault and Boulier persuaded Kimi to return
    Not the other way round so whatever happened last year it must have been Kimi who was correct in what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think he will struggle for the first few races, but he should get back to decent form, depending on the car really.
    Originally Posted by Discodog View Post
    Obviously.. He has beaten everyone on track since he went to Ferrari hasn't he

In relation to this, I have to laugh. The majority of the consensus between F1 jurnos and commentators is that Alonso was way out preforming the 150, he got that tractor to 2nd in Abu Dhabi.

Its clear Ferrari are far more comfortable with Alonso in the current formula, and that's where Kimi didnt fit in Ferrari. They like a leader, and neither Kimi or Massa were able to take that mantel after Michael left. Massa was coming close to it in 09 but his accident stopped that.

I think Bouiller is the only man who can get anything out of Kimi, but if he thinks he can't then Kimi will get the boot, he did it with Mick this year. Its a good deal for both though, Kimi gets a better car than he may have gotten with Williams, Lotus get to use him for advertising their cars (Merc pulled this trick with Michael as well) and the attraction of a former champion for new sponsors.

So who is going to get the number 2 slot ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So who is going to get the number 2 slot ?

I would say Grojean, he seems to be very popular with Boullier, but then you never know in F1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement