Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimi for williams 2012 ?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23673.html

this report could be a bit premature for kimi to sign for williams yet, as it hints on a sponsorship deal to be agreed for him. it would be nice to see him back in F1 albeit in car that would be probably mid grid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Kimi in a midfeild car would be a sight to behold, it would be reminiscent of his Sauber days. I reckon if he were to come back coming into a mid feild team would be the kind of motivation he would need to respark his enthusiasm for racing in F1. Kimi is like Alonso when he is motivated. He will drive the balls out of the car and get more out of it than anyone could have expected.

Here's hoping he does come back even if I'll only be reading about teh results after the race thanks to Bernie "I'm only worth £2.5 Billion" Ecclestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Why would you get rid of an experienced enthusiastic driver who has shown his ability and is good at setting up cars for someone who just doesnt give a pardon my french a ****. Rubens deserves a drive in F1 and he competed really well with Button in the Brawn team. That Williams is a dog of a car and any points that he and Maldonado have brought home this season should be regarded as a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Why would you get rid of an experienced enthusiastic driver who has shown his ability and is good at setting up cars for someone who just doesnt give a pardon my french a ****. Rubens deserves a drive in F1 and he competed really well with Button in the Brawn team. That Williams is a dog of a car and any points that he and Maldonado have brought home this season should be regarded as a bonus.

Because Kimi is one of the most talented and exciting drivers to have ever graced an F1 car. Rubens has been there two seasons, and has not helped the team progress, they have gone backwards. There's no risk in hiring Kimi, they can't really get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Dont forget that Williams are still waiting on confirmation that Maldonado can still bring in the Venezuelan oil money for next season. The team is in bad shape financially and a driver like Kimi could help generate some positive PR and bring in new sponsors.

Personally I still Sutil is much more likely to be hired because he is a solid driver who can bring in a lot of cash to a team. I dont see the value of Kimi for a team like Williams because it all depends on if Kimi is actually bothered to show up and race for a midfield squad. Seeing as he mailed in his last year with Ferrari I think its far from guarenteed that he would be motivated

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Frostie just hit the nail on the coffin there. Maldonado is only there due to finance, although he has asserted himself a bit in the sport in a few races. Kimi & Barichello; an exciting pair-up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

frostie500 wrote: »

Personally I still Sutil is much more likely to be hired because he is a solid driver who can bring in a lot of cash to a team.

I think he took Medion sponsorship with him to Force India, but I heard they were taken over by Lenovo (who I think sponsored Williams at one time).

Could be Sutil and Maldonado at Williams next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

frostie500 wrote: »
    Dont forget that Williams are still waiting on confirmation that Maldonado can still bring in the Venezuelan oil money for next season.

Gotta love all that Venezuelan oil and petroleum products...

/me glares at PDVSA and CITGO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

PlanetF1 seem to think its done.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7268653/-Raikkonen-has-signed-Williams-deal-

Would love to hear Ej's opinion on this.

Here's why Kimi is electric to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_s-HVnJnv4

Here's why Kimi is electric to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_s-HVnJnv4

and heres why hes not

leading the race and runs into a back marker. I was sitting right in front of the accident he was daydreaming.

I hope this doesnt mean the ned of Rubens career and that he can find a drive if not at williams somewhere in F1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

They seem to think its a done deal out there on Twitter land. He's funny but he just doesn't seem to care which can come across as laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would be fun to see him back

6 world champions on the grid

might be tough for him to get back up to speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I doubt Rubens would get a drive next year if he's ousted by Kimi, maybe one of the backmarkers because he'll have 325 races under his belt and would extremely valuable in a test capacity at least.

However for pretty much all the teams bar Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes the main draw would be hard cash rather than a proven ability so if a 20 yr old with a years racing in GP2 turns up with $5 million in sponsorship money then they'll take the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Could be a repeat of earlier years.
    Kimi to Williams for one year and replace Schuie at Mercedes 2013

Now that would be a nice pairing. Kimi and Rosberg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

if it falls through, i think they will go for sutil. if kimi and maldanardo are the partnership for williams in 2012 then hopefully rubens will get a drive. maybe lotus ? , he's not going to have many options for 2012 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

vectra wrote: »
    Could be a repeat of earlier years.
    Kimi to Williams for one year and replace Schuie at Mercedes 2013

Now that would be a nice pairing. Kimi and Rosberg

I think they've a better pairing already :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think they've a better pairing already :)

For what reason?

For what reason?

The Schumacher part. Don't get me wrong, I like Kimi...but from a team direction & development point of view, Schumacher is worth 20 Kimi's.

The Schumacher part. Don't get me wrong, I like Kimi...but from a team direction & development point of view, Schumacher is worth 20 Kimi's.

Really?
    Maybe 10 years ago..
    Schui'e contract is out end 2012. I cannot see Merc renewing it. Also,
    Doesn't Norbert Haug have a soft spot for Kimi?
    Not saying it will happen. But there is a grave possibility.

Really?
    Maybe 10 years ago..

Why not now, because his car isn't competetive? Sure Rosberg outqualifies him a lot, but on race day, Schumacher has been top dog for me for the past while. Probably over the last 6/7 races he's been pretty damn good in that car, & only for DRS we'd have seen him on the podium a few times.

You don't think a seven time world champion, & now with two full seasons under his belt with the likes of DRS & the new tyres would be more beneficial than someone who hasn't been in an F1 car for three years, & when he was in one seemed like he couldn't wait to get out of it?

As I said, I like Kimi as a driver, but I couldn't see him playing any part of development or direction. Kimi would consider showing up for race weekend a valid contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Really?
    Maybe 10 years ago..

Its been a while since Kimi was the force he used to be in Formula 1 as wel.....

If Raikkonen came back and was the Kimi we saw before he won his title he would be a massive addition back to the field. Everyone knows how special a driver he is when he is pushing himself but not going to Australia this year showed, ocne again, that when he isnt bothered he can be a nightmare for a team boss.

• Advertisement

Time will tell :D

'05
    '06
    Schumacher couldn't win

'07
    Enter Kimi
    Won the wdc

'08
    '09
    Kimi did not do so well
    Enter Alonso
    What has he shown with all this hype about him?
    Don't say "Bad car"
    Kimi had a bad car in '09.

'10
    '11
    Enter Schumacher.
    Outrun by a younger less experienced driver most of the time.

'12
    Enter Kimi to Williams > One year of experience gathering to get into the swing of it

'12
    Farewell Schumacher

'13
    Welcome Kim to Mercedes
    You never know what lies ahead in this world :pac:

T'09
    Kimi did not do so well
    Enter Alonso
    What has he shown with all this hype about him?
    Don't say "Bad car"
    Kimi had a bad car in '09.

In fairness, Kimi didn't really have to contend with these lads

red-bull.jpg

RB were only emerging as the force they are today back then.

Kimi has a long wayto go before I'll rate him as I do Schumacher. Schumacher has nothing to prove, Kimi, to me at least, does.

Edit - finishing 2nd, 4 points behind Vettel wasn't too bad last year either for Alonso. Yeah he should have won it, but if your looking for what he's shown, he's the closest man to Vettel.

In fairness, Kimi didn't really have to contend with these lads

red-bull.jpg

RB were only emerging as the force they are today back then.

Kimi has a long wayto go before I'll rate him as I do Schumacher. Schumacher has nothing to prove, Kimi, to me at least, does.

Edit - finishing 2nd, 4 points behind Vettel wasn't too bad last year either for Alonso. Yeah he should have won it, but if your looking for what he's shown, he's the closest man to Vettel.

Hold on one second :D

You are confused..
    What makes Schuie so special over Kimi??
    Schuie did not have to contend with those guys either when HE had the best car on the grid.
    When Renault suddenly had the better car whaere was the mighty Schuie?
    Where is he now with a middle of the pack car?
    Kimi would be doing just as well.

Anyhow.
    I will not get into a debate over who is better than who.
    All I was saying is there will more than likely be an opening for Kimi in Merc 2013 when Schuie is gone.
    A repeat of history.
    Then again... If Kimi did hop into Schuie's car I suppose it would be a case of " Ah. It was easy for him, Schuie had that car sorted for him" :D

Kimi would be doing just as well.

I'm not saying he wouldn't, I'm not comparing their racecraft here...I'm comparing their dedication & usefullness to a team from a feedback & input kind of view. There's no contest between the two in that sense.

Regardless, I'd like to see Kimi back in F1.
    vectra wrote:
    All I was saying is there will more than likely be an opening for Kimi in Merc 2013 when Schuie is gone.
    A repeat of history.
    Then again... If Kimi did hop into Schuie's car I suppose it would be a case of " Ah. It was easy for him, Schuie had that car sorted for him"

Well it'd be more credible than "Kimi really took us in a new direction, his feedback & dedication have been instrumental".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can't beat a Kimi thread for entertainment.:pac:

******Gets more popcorn******

lord lucan wrote: »
    Can't beat a Kimi thread for entertainment.:pac:

******Gets more popcorn******

Salted for me please and coke :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Salted for me please and coke :pac:

Don't feed the troll...

Don't feed the troll...
    Define troll

I was in discussion about Kimi..What are you doing here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Define troll

I was in discussion about Kimi..What are you doing here?

OK then, in this case the troll is someone who consistently over a number of years has had such a hard on for Kimi that he is blind to the facts and is also someone who was previously banned from this forum for admitting that they were trolling on a thread not unlike this one.

What I am doing here is reminding others not to feed the troll.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Im keeping an eye on this thread, guys lets not let this thread degrade into sillyness.

I post in motorsport .... its bound to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement