Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everdrive MD \ SNES

Options
  • 24-10-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi fellow retro geeks, havent posted here in a bit. (of buying more C64 crap)

have any of ye purchased one of these yet ??

http://shop.retrogate.com/

Thinking of getting these as an early christmas present for myself:pac:

Great idea, but are they any good?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I have the Everdrive MD and I think it's awesome, worth every penny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Cheers man, no problems to report no?

Think its a great idea.

Have you designed your own box art for the cart:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No problems at all, upgraded the OS at one stage and it was as easy as copying a file onto the SD card and running it - can't remember now but it gave some new functionality at the time. I got it a good while ago from stoneagegamer, the one with the case so it just came with the Everdrive sticker on it. But you can just get any old donor cart and cut a slot at the top for the sd and away you go. o1s1n went that route I think.
    It's a great way to play Jap games that had translations released for them - one of my favs is Monster World IV, brilliant game. You can also play some of those hacks folks have created.
    Obviously the best thing about it is having all those games to play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I have an ED MD, 2 Super ED's (one with a DSP1, one without) and an ED 64. I'll be ordering a GG ED within the next week, or so and when the PC Engine ED comes out I'll be buying one of those, too.

They suck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I went the PCB only route and cut out a cart to fit it. Didn't get the cut quite right and accidentally made it way too big. But it still works brilliantly so I'm happy :)

Haven't used it in ages, must dig it out sometime.

Took some photos along the way -

Inprogress0.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

inprogress3.jpg

Inprogress1.jpg

Everdrivefinished1.jpg

Everdrivefinished2.jpg

DSC_1001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I want to get a SNES one for myself aswell

Stupid question but it saves right? for the likes of chrono trigger etc

It saves just fine with the latest OS update with individual SRAM files. The old OS used to be a bit of a nightmare for saves as they were all stored in one single file.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

never heard of these but want them so bad :D
    definitly putting the md one on the christmas list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That last pic is like something out of a magazine o1s, surprised Kirkzz isn't onto you for a publishing deal :p

@Relikk, you have the N64 version? Whats functionality/compatibility like?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

There are a few options for these cards.

The SNES options at the moment are the Super Everdrive or the RetroUSB SNES PowerPak option. RetroUSB allows for loading of the largest ROMS (Star Ocean) but the saving is a little cumbersome... I have both but mainly use the everdrive due to the ease of saving. The super wildcard with floppy disks is gathering dust here anyway :pac:
    However, keep in mind the ultimate card is coming soon - http://sd2snes.de/blog/ - this cart supports all SNES custom chips as well as Byuu's MSU1 streaming (if you can wait...)

Megadrive - the everdrive works great for me but some of the ROMs need patching for saving (like MegaMan Wily Wars). However there is a new revised hardware "Mega Everdrive" coming soon with a lot of new features. So again, hold off if you can.

Then the N64 side of the house is covered by the everdrive64 and the new 64drive carts. There is nothing separating the two aside from a beautiful looking menu on the 64drive. Personally, I have both cards but still use the old CD V64 anyway as it's more retro and works just as well for 99% of the games.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    @Relikk, you have the N64 version? Whats functionality/compatibility like?

There were some issues with Flash RAM saves in the beginning but the latest firmware update has sorted most of those problems. WWF No Mercy can't save, and there's 2 games that aren't playable, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie (I think).

Having not owned any kind of N64 flash cart I can't compare it to anything but, I'm happy. Firmware and OS updates can only improve it.

Relikk wrote: »
    There were some issues with Flash RAM saves in the beginning but the latest firmware update has sorted most of those problems. WWF No Mercy can't save, and there's 2 games that aren't playable, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie (I think).

Having not owned any kind of N64 flash cart I can't compare it to anything but, I'm happy. Firmware and OS updates can only improve it.

Just to add to this - All games now work and save on all these carts except for 1 game - Banjo Tooie

64drive has worked since release, but you need the latest firmware on the everdrive64. Saving works for all games (including WWF No Mercy).

Flashing the firmware on the everdrive carts needs separate hardware however that costs around €20 on ebay.

No cart can play Banjo Tooie, and Jet Force Gemini only works with a crack patch. Rumour has it that someone is working on a similar crack for Banjo Tooie. btw - The reason Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie need cracks is because they are the only two games that have copy protection in them that checks for a specific security chip in-game, not just a boot time.

The official everdrive forum is here http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Cool lads, thanks for all your help. I will get the megadrive one to start of with so.

Which cart would you cannibalise out of the following :pac:

Double Clutch
    The Pagemaster
    Joe Montana - Sport talk football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

djsim101 wrote: »
    Cool lads, thanks for all your help. I will get the megadrive one to start of with so.

Double Clutch
    The Pagemaster

All of them If possible!

Is the device just like a cart where you load rom's onto?

Master of the Universe

djsim101 wrote: »

Double Clutch
    The Pagemaster

Joe Montana! Kill the sports game, kill it.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

so with the everdrive 64 i can pop all the roms on a memeory card and play them on my N64??

where is the best place to buy one of these?

eoinf wrote: »
    so with the everdrive 64 i can pop all the roms on a memeory card and play them on my N64??

where is the best place to buy one of these?

ED's use SD cards for storage. Another bonus of the ED64 is that it can use a NES emulator for NES ROMs. I've found that an 8GB SD is perfect for a full set of N64 and NES ROMs.

You can buy from any of the recommended distributors on Krikzz's site. Just make sure you get the correct CIC chip for your consoles region.

http://krikzz.com/ed64.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

for the ED N64 can you use a CIC chip and cart from an existing N64 Cart?

eoinf wrote: »
    for the ED N64 can you use a CIC chip and cart from an existing N64 Cart?

You can, but it needs to be the standard CIC, not any of the special ones. There are many pins to desolder/resolder though and for the sake of the extra 10 euros you would be better off getting one with the CIC pre-installed.

The other flash cart - the 64Drive - is the same but you can actually add the special 6105 CIC chip and that will let it play 100% of games including BanjoTooie. This doesn't work on the everdrive64 though.

another guy selling flash card for snes, megadrive etc.
    http://ramfactory.com/ (Russian site)

The SNES one supports the Capcom CX4 chip which is a first. Great prices too.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The SNES one supports the Capcom CX4 chip which is a first. Great prices too.

Those prices look brilliant. Shame I don't speak any Russian!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Or press the us flag in the top right for english :p

I don't speak American, by choice :p

Steve SI wrote: »
    I don't speak American, by choice :p

Either do they ;)

Master of the Universe

$42.47 is very good for a Megadrive flash cart. Sure half the problem with the Everdrives was them never being in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

So who's going to be the first Boards Guinea Pig to buy this...

НОВОЕ ИЗДЕЛИЕ? ;)
    (New Product!)

That is seriously the best Light Dimmer Switch Commerical of all time!
    (and perhaps the only in existence!)

T keep in mind the ultimate card is coming soon - http://sd2snes.de/blog/ - this cart supports all SNES custom chips as well as Byuu's MSU1 streaming (if you can wait...)

sd2snes was officially released 2 days ago!

There was only 29 of them up for grabs (yet to be built) and they were snapped up immediately.

They sold for €120 each + shipping but the owner said the next batch will be sometime in Spring next year:

But he said he will sell 100 max per year, as it takes him 3 hours to assemble each one manually.

Translated Page of the official Forum

It's like the 1541 Ultimate of the SNES world in terms of compatibility, expansion and price.

The creator also has a lot more features planned for the future.

If you would like to pre-order one or express your interest you are to contact the seller here.

Full specifications and videos here

A video of it running Mario Kart and other games that used custom DSP chips inside their carts:

The MSU1 expansion allows your SNES to play full motion video @ 224x144, 30fps + 44100Hz 16bit stereo audio!!!

waveform wrote: »

sd2snes was officially released 2 days ago!

There was only 29 of them up for grabs (yet to be built) and they were snapped up immediately.

WOW that was kept very much a secret.. hmmm, but he hasn't finished coding for the SFX chips yet? I'll wait a while longer and keep a close eye on his blog (and that forum)

• Advertisement

WOW that was kept very much a secret.. hmmm, but he hasn't finished coding for the SFX chips yet? I'll wait a while longer and keep a close eye on his blog (and that forum)

Nope. Hopefully it will be added in a future firmware update.

He did quite a good job with all the other chips though!

Nice little vid on the Super FX chip here, learned a lot of new things about the snes in the last 12 hours!

Advertisement