Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a log with no name

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

catweazle wrote: »
    Lol all we need is Oryx on JB's gold plated plan and poor Red will be convinced their is a conspiracy against him.

Red I would be interested to hear what that 10k pb was, I would expect you to be going very well at this stage, judging by your 1/2 marathon pb on tired legs
    I am not in conspiratorial form at the moment. Just saying, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Oryx wrote: »
    I am not in conspiratorial form at the moment. Just saying, like.

Good one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Lol all we need is Oryx on JB's gold plated plan and poor Red will be convinced their is a conspiracy against him.

Red I would be interested to hear what that 10k pb was, I would expect you to be going very well at this stage, judging by your 1/2 marathon pb on tired legs

:D

JB certainly is The Man With The Plan alright! He graciously copied me the current block and it looks smoking hot. Might be a bit too rich for my blood or maybe I should just HTFU and dive in. Its a different mix to what P+D has me doing and I think the Tempo runs would be a big step up from what I've done to date so could take a bit of getting used to. I might give the 'fast' long run a go on Saturday and see how that works out.

I did the East Clare 10km on Sat in 42:38 but only clocked it at 9.91km so will only claim around 43:02 for 10km. I pushed it the whole way and struggled with breathing. Daniels' Tables puts that around 3:20 marathon pace but I seriously doubt that. Realistically I'd be very happy to shave 15mins off my DCM10 PB of 3:42:46 for a 3:27:xx. I've a few niggles in the knee and back to contend with (as well as the head of course :rolleyes:) but training is going bang on plan for several weeks now so fingers crossed :)

RedB wrote: »
    :D

JB certainly is The Man With The Plan alright! He graciously copied me the current block and it looks smoking hot. Might be a bit too rich for my blood or maybe I should just HTFU and dive in. Its a different mix to what P+D has me doing and I think the Tempo runs would be a big step up from what I've done to date so could take a bit of getting used to. I might give the 'fast' long run a go on Saturday and see how that works out.

I did the East Clare 10km on Sat in 42:38 but only clocked it at 9.91km so will only claim around 43:02 for 10km. I pushed it the whole way and struggled with breathing. Daniels' Tables puts that around 3:20 marathon pace but I seriously doubt that. Realistically I'd be very happy to shave 15mins off my DCM10 PB of 3:42:46 for a 3:27:xx. I've a few niggles in the knee and back to contend with (as well as the head of course :rolleyes:) but training is going bang on plan for several weeks now so fingers crossed :)

That is a nice PB. dont worry about the time for DCM stick to the training and it will be a doddle to you.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My pb is 3.59. Intimidated. Much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

3.27 good to see you are confident on hitting the time, the pace is no problem but I always worry that the endurance will get the better of me.

You will be cruising by me on the run next year in the Hell of the West if I am not careful :mad:

why, you have archieve more than most this year, and a pb is a pb no matter what, and it is faster than most.

3.27 good to see you are confident on hitting the time, the pace is no problem but I always worry that the endurance will get the better of me.

You will be cruising by me on the run next year in the Hell of the West if I am not careful :mad:

I'm not that confident on hitting the time, its still a big ask but I'll be going for it.

And I take it from the above that you don't rate my potential swim and cycle splits either! :mad: - fair enough I suppose :D :P

RedB wrote: »
    I'm not that confident on hitting the time, its still a big ask but I'll be going for it.

And I take it from the above that you don't rate my potential swim and cycle splits either! :mad: - fair enough I suppose :D :P

No I would rate your cycling splits and we will say no more ;)

I see you leaving a man in a red hat in your dust. Again. Believe. You've definitely got it in you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, does everyone but me have JB's plan?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I don't have it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sure at this stage i am going to be fcking up half the countries DCM, pm your e-mails.

Friday 21st:
    was meant to do the speed work last night, but a late meeting screwed up the evening so nothing done,

SO had to get to them tonight
    did about 2k warmup.
    The 6*2K with 2min recovery
    the first 2 were fine, coming in 7:50,7:53. after this I suffered; should have left more time after eating, started to get a bad stitch.
    the remaining in on 4:07,4:03,4:11 (1k uphill),4:17 stopped after the 1k, my dinner decided to return :mad:
    6*2K

Felt ok for most of this considering, there was a nice bite in the air, or freezing to be more exact.

Saturday 22nd:
    Got out and spun for an easy 3 hours, never pushing it.

Sunday 23rd:
    Meant to be a progressive run.
    again running back from the young mans rugby training.
    I was cold starting and did not want to get out to run, would have liked to go home and relax. but nope off I set
    plan 3*45min @3:45,3:30 and 3:15.
    set into a nice pace and ran 3:45 easy, watch beeped and upped it to 3:30 but it went to :35 and trying not to push it too hard early on tried to slowly get the pace to :30, this didnt work and it held at :35, Near the end of this I was getting thirsty after leaving with no liquid. the watch beeped again now to try and run 45min @4:15 pace. held this for about 1-2min and then turned into a headwind and a 7k of hills to run, I pushed it for the few drags to keep pace but each hill was taking more out of me, and I stopped, I was shattered and completly fecked struggled to get home. fell in the door and was mighty peed off.
    PRogressive Run

Monday 24th:
    was planning an easy run, but my head is not in it and I have 0 interest in exercising so do nothing today

aghhhhhhhhhhhh one crappy week.
    It started off with our old puppy, an 11.5 year old boxer. who has had a number of ulcers in the eyes, and these to sort out means sedation and this the last 2 or 3 times has really takes its toll on him, and at his age it takes longer to recover, so it was decided that if it happens again we would do the humane thing and put the old pup to sleep. Well Sunday night we spotted what looked like an ulcer and ohhh sh1t, so don't panic.
    Monday morning and it looked like the eye was collapsing so I had to head home, and bring him to the vet, (he hates Vets, he is fine outside with them but once in the office they dont get along) so lift a 40kg dog into the car and over. I was a bit emotional at this point in to the office and told the receptionist that Batman is here (the pups name) and the look on her face wtf is this a prank, thankfully the vet was behind her and is knows him, but the look did bring a smile to my face and thankfully it was not an ulcer something else (no idea what), which some antibioticsis sorting out.

And then I forgot to enter DCM, remembered yesterday and looked at the web site sae 17:00 and in my head that was 7 last night, up to my nuts in here and went home and registration closed.
    so now to forget it or look for someone selling an entry (if allowed:o)

Training:
    did a nice 30min tempo run @4:05 pace,
    A long run Sunday, made another boo boo (again what a week) ran in old Nike runners, I have used for short ones but nothing long so 34K easy not paying any attention to pace, did through in 2 sections of PMPish pace.
    [url=http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228614229]long run[/url]

Swimming:
    1*1 swimming lesson: finally got around to this, a year too late.
    well it was not as bad as i thought, I do have a few items to work on.
    my stroke is to fast and too short. He wants to get me to 46 strokes per 50m,
    Breathing is erratic, I can bilateral breath but dont always and could be every stroke or miss one. just all over the place, so I never really relax
    My hand entry is too flat, need to turn the hand to enter thumb first.
    and make a more of an S in the water during the pull phase.

At least its something to work on.

And I am hoping that the week improves.

I would be more than happy to sell you my entry but I don't know if it is allowed, its a bit too far up for me to go to sign you in and race in my name if not, but I don't like seeing the entries go to waste either, they make enough money as it is

I have a particular interest in that soon to be displayed Assos jacket you are trying to sell, what colours is it. Sizing we are similiar - is it too big for you?

Well training have really been hit and miss over the last few weeks.

trying to follow the plan as laid out by JB, well most of it, getting the Tuesday, Thurs and long run in.

Tues 2nd:
    Tempo run to run as 4:10 pace.
    the first 10K were around the pace, some above some below. 40min @4:11, the last 2k was into a headwind and a slight uphill with knocked the pace. down to 4:14, was again stuck for time so the 70min was cut to the hour, felt like I could maintain the pace\effort for another 20min
    Tempo run

Thursday 4th:
    was not looking forward to this, and tired starting. as soon as started I got soaked, skipped the 30sec opener and got in to the pyramid, first one fine, second not so, got soaked and a few drags slowed me down, the rain didnt let up, but on the 4th it was unnatural, felt the extra few stone of water held me back, the last 2, not good the 2k was almost uphill for the lot small drag but slowed me down, the 1k some pleb in a car pulled in and could not get past so stood there for a few seconds. over all happyish was aiming for 4min/k pace but didnt really get close after the first.
    pyramind

Friday 5th: what a wuss I am, went to get a recovery run in and it was p1ssing out so left it, could not face been cold two days on the trot.

Saturday 6th:
    8K easy,

Sunday 7th:
    up at 4:30 for a deployment in work, planned to finish at 9, this did not happen finally turned off the laptop at 1, and I was spaced and tried to convience myself for the long run, but I was light headded standing up so once again it did not take much to talk me around.:mad:

Tues 9th:
    Tempo run @4:10 pace.
    from the off the pace was not there, but after the weekend I was getting this done, the first 12K were uphill and this pulled the legs out of me, and I was no where near the pace I wanted,
    in the end was happy enough,
    total 92min, @4:23 pace, a pb for the half.
    90min tempo

Thurs 11th:
    plan 7*2K @4min/km pace
    not bad, apart from a very cold night.
    splits: 4:02,3:39,4:00,4:08,4:03,4:07 &4:25. the last one was a half hearted attempt, it was uphill and I know it would be slow so never really got the head in the right place,
    7*2K

Sat 13:
    progressive run; felt the cold as soon as I walk out, also felt heavy and slow.
    Aim was [EMAIL="50min@4:45"]50min@4:45[/EMAIL], [EMAIL="50@4:35"]50@4:35[/EMAIL] and [EMAIL="5@4:25"]5@4:25[/EMAIL] the first was 53min @4:48 avg pace; feeling slow on the drags no strength in the legs, the second was 55min and @3:37 the last 2,3k I started to feel it, the last section was brutal, the first 2k hit the pace and then slowed down, after 5k was @4:35 and then all 5min per k, the long drag just drained everything I had in me, at walking pace for the last bit home. reminder not to run without breakie again for a hard run, not a good idea at all. main section was 30k at 4:42min/km pace.
    The lack of food really took its toll on the rest of the day and legs.
    preogressive run

Sun 14:
    went out on the bike for a very lazy spin, just rode and looked around.
    My "easy" or dreamland power is down about 20watts. I did notice this and lifted the pace with no problems, so its still there somewhere just need to make sure I dont loose it again, wuld like to keep it at a decent level to start next year.

stupidly I watched IM from Kona on a 1mb line not easy and as it has been mentioned on other logs, is it possible to get there?
    if I mention it and get the divorce which was promised I may the time to train ;)

SO DCM is back on thanks CW,

So taper to begin, I honestly do not like tapering feel lazy not training enough,

So the week was on
    Tuesady 16th:
    30min Tempo @4:10pace; was almost 35min, at 4:08
    felt good, nice and controlled, had not problems at all holding the pace.
    Tempo

Wednesday simple hour on the rollers spinning a low gear, 100+rpm

Thursday 18th:
    Was on my way out for a lucnh time run, when got a call and had to head back in, a few problems killed that run, was late getting home and peed that I missed the run, around 9:30 got some free time so out the door,
    (need new batteries in the head lamp)
    Plan 5*800 and 2*1K at 4:10 pace 90sec rec.
    these felt good. the 800's felt short and apart from the second, which due to laziness and with the rain was not able to see the watch to keep an eye on the pace fell slightly short.
    reps (800's - 4:11,4:14,4:06,4:01,4:08; 1K 4:06,4:06)
    5*800, 2*1k

Friday 19th:
    >3k swim, trying to work on my stroke; looking to get my stroke count to 46 for the 50m, (avg around 50ish at the moment)

Saturday 20th:
    A very nice easy taper run, pace was mp +30 sec and came in nicely on 4:55.
    At the moment not sure if I could maintain 4:25 pace for the full 3hours,

Sunday 21st:
    Up for a spin, was feeling shattered so had a coffee and was chatting to the wee man, stood up and got a very bad case of light headiness; felt like it lasted an age, I could not see correctly and legs almost went from under me, no idea where I was etc. so once I came around left the spin and relaxed for the day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Hey Benny

Great to see you doing a bit, best of luck for next Monday, you will fly it mate.

Tuesday 23rd:
    4*3min 2min rec @4:10pace, felt good tried, all efforts were slighlty ahead of target pace. 4:03,4:06, 3:58, 3:58 and felt I was not pushing the pace, so happy.

Hit the pool on the way home for an easy 2k. just swam slowly trying to concentrate on the stroke.

Wed 24th:
    a very easy 45min rollers, no power or hr, just kept the rpm's>100

Thursday 25th:
    10*400 @ mp 1min rec.
    plan was 4:25 pace, and no faster :o, so I tried to run to feel and relax,
    a nice range from 4:26 to 4:10, and feeling comfortable for most parts.

I am feeling ok for the marathon, not sure if I can maintain the pace I would like for the full distance, but I feel "faster" than ever, (Thanks JB). but I am also after putting on a few lbs(kgs more like) so this does not help.

• Advertisement

Have a great race on Monday!!! If I wasn't so lazy I could probably figure out what time you are targeting (it's that km to mile thingy)...so, um, what time are you targeting?? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Have a great race on Monday!!! If I wasn't so lazy I could probably figure out what time you are targeting (it's that km to mile thingy)...so, um, what time are you targeting?? ;)

thanks DD.
    I will be happy with sub 3:10, and really happy with 3:05,

BennyMul wrote: »
    thanks DD.
    I will be happy with sub 3:10, and really happy with 3:05,

Well, then...I hope you make yourself really, really happy!!! Smash it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good luck Monday Bennymul

Hope it goes well - I am looking forward to a few people reading the results on the Indo on monday and a few of my nemesis's choking on their coffee ;)

Trig1 wrote: »
    Good luck Monday Bennymul
    +1
    Enjoy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck Benny.

Well done Benny. Cracking time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

How did you go, for some reason i cannot find a time for you?

• Advertisement

How did you go, for some reason i cannot find a time for you?

Check out the mighty CW's time and the truth you will find :D

Look for a Lee around the 3.14ish mark

Advertisement