Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Just took this video at the dropping well, milltown half an hour ago.
    Water had gone down about 2 feet, but a lot of cars hydrolocked

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its five to midnight which means it time to head to Met Eireann on Radio 1....Rain off the South coast to push into Munster and South Leinster later tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 EmmyPixel

Fiskar wrote: »
    Doubt it, cannot run the lifts or the escalators, electrics and water don't mix kindly together. Insurance people won't allow it either

I'm showing up at 9am for work as usual. Guess I can do something even if it's not my usual job! Up on level 3 - reading that most of the damage is on level 1. If I know that lot, Dundrum won't be closed for any longer than absolutely necessary. Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Not wrote: »
    All areas that used to flood badly and routinely during heavy rain in the 80s. I wonder how the houses built on Dodder Road in dip where the caravan sales place used to be are getting on ? Always seemed to me to be an insane place to build houses.

yep, grew up around dundrum and the bowling alley which used be about where nandos is now flooded at least twice during my childhood. they took a feckin river and turned it into a water feature. hardly a surprise nature acts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    my WHOLE neighbourhood is flooded.. very lucky to have not been affected...

I'm at the top of the Grange Road, think cos it's so steep the water has just run down it! Very lucky. I can't imagine how horrible it must be having your house flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭septictank

Iancar29 wrote: »

POST OF THE DAY!!! :pac::pac::pac:

Give us a chance, that was my first ever post!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Fiskar wrote: »
    Doubt it, cannot run the lifts or the escalators, electrics and water don't mix kindly together. Insurance people won't allow it either

I took a wander down there not so long ago. Its only the ground floor that's been affected it seems, for shopping anyway. I could see the escalators and lifts running.

Oddly enough the cinema which is on the same level but separated seems unaffected.

The underground car park is another story. Access is possible but all that seems to be going in and out is tanker trucks so I'm assuming its badly flooded down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

septictank wrote: »
    Give us a chance, that was my first ever post!:rolleyes:

Welcome to The Weather Forum!! :pac:

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I'm at the top of the Grange Road, think cos it's so steep the water has just run down it! Very lucky. I can't imagine how horrible it must be having your house flooded.

I'm in the same spot. I went for a drive to see what I could see and the roads are grand until you get to Nutgrove avenue where the hill levels out.

Looks as if all our rain has collected down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

dbyrne wrote: »
    royalflush I dont think that is a fair comment that you have used several times to different posters. I am asking people in dublin what it is like, people on the ground can always give a better answer than those looking smartly from the outside.
    I am 3 hours away so I cant tell what it is like. I am on holidays this week but my job is flooded, they are still trying to get the water out, I am going back to try to help clean up. After talking to my neighbours some if their houses are flooded, mine is not thankfully that I can tell. There are alot of people who are outside dublin and stuck on flooded roads wondering if there houses are ok, families are ok and that they will have jobs to go to in the morning to go to! How many people are going to get into work in the morning, lift the shutters and find that their businesses are destroyed.

i THINK U new this was going to happen , u went on holiday to avoid the clean up and get a xtra few holidays by saying your trapped , tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

dbyrne wrote: »
    royalflush I dont think that is a fair comment that you have used several times to different posters. I am asking people in dublin what it is like, people on the ground can always give a better answer than those looking smartly from the outside.
    I am 3 hours away so I cant tell what it is like. I am on holidays this week but my job is flooded, they are still trying to get the water out, I am going back to try to help clean up. After talking to my neighbours some if their houses are flooded, mine is not thankfully that I can tell. There are alot of people who are outside dublin and stuck on flooded roads wondering if there houses are ok, families are ok and that they will have jobs to go to in the morning to go to! How many people are going to get into work in the morning, lift the shutters and find that their businesses are destroyed.

Seriously? I think I've translated that correctly as that you've been talking to your neighbours? Better chance of getting info on the ground from boards you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

What ever about a shopping centre getting flooded the knowledge that a young man has been washed away near Blessington is truly shocking. God bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Quiet you wrote: »
    I'm in the same spot. I went for a drive to see what I could see and the roads are grand until you get to Nutgrove avenue where the hill levels out.

Looks as if all our rain has collected down there.

I don't know the area that well but my mother has a business there. Is it bad around mid nutgrove avenue - near shops before shopping centre??

Thanks she is oap and don't want to worry her but will have to check out damage tomorrow for her if it is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Anybody know what the road conditions near the Aviva stadium are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Plenty of flooding around here tonight as well, a few roads under 2 feet of water. Seen pics of Monaghan and a few places in the north, seems to have affected the whole north and eastern half of the country

Rain finally clearing here, managed to keep the water out of the house but there'll be thousands of people out there not so lucky tonight :(

zipee wrote: »
    I don't know the area that well but my mother has a business there. Is it bad around mid nutgrove avenue - near shops before shopping centre??

Thanks she is oap and don't want to worry her but will have to check out damage tomorrow for her if it is bad.

I stopped just before Nutgrove avenue seeing as I didn't see any point in adding another car to the chaos on the flooded stretches of road so I'm not too sure but from what I saw it seemed to be the road and footpaths affected.

If she's in one of those granny flats there I'd say she's grand. It didn't seem deep enough to get into them.

I stopped just before Nutgrove avenue seeing as I didn't see any point in adding another car to the chaos on the flooded stretches of road so I'm not too sure but from what I saw it seemed to be the road and footpaths affected.

If she's in one of those granny flats there I'd say she's grand. It didn't seem deep enough to get into them.

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

2236: Met Éireann forecast from 2230:
    "Spells of heavy rain affecting parts of north Leinster and Ulster will continue to clear northwards overnight, with drier weather developing in many areas and just a little patchy rain or drizzle.
    "However, another spell of persistent and locally heavy rain will spread into much of Munster and south Leinster overnight."

Sky news were showing that at lunch time, Met Eireann a bit on the slow side.

More importantly, my sympathies to the family of the Garda that was swept away to his death.
    It puts things into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Pic from twitter of the dodder at ballsbridge:

Acjjr8xCQAAIbLX.jpg

• Advertisement

jesus wept, that comment about the garda, sick b******:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

In past events, does it tend to recede quickly or is there likely to be major disruption in the morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

A few pictures of the dargle from earlier here, didn't quite get into our estate luckily but it came pretty damn close!
    DSC_9480.jpg

DSC_9510.jpg

More here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75117175#post75117175

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Jake1 wrote: »

Scum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Borrowed this from YLYL,thanks go to paigne

179175.jpg

Jake1 wrote: »

Ye i know! SOrry , i cant delete it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

I tried to get to nutgrove shopping center earlier from yellow house direction, fire engine on nutgrove avenue about at the row of shops causing tailbacks in both directions. I aborted and turned around as many others were doing.

This was at about 8pm so I think those premises would have been saved from the worst with that fireengine pumping water.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ye i know! SOrry , i cant delete it! :(

sure its not your fault. :) Some people just have no decency

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    I tried to get to nutgrove shopping center earlier from yellow house direction, fire engine on nutgrove avenue about at the row of shops causing tailbacks in both directions. I aborted and turned around as many others were doing.

This was at about 8pm so I think those premises would have been saved from the worst with that fireengine pumping water.

Fingers crossed!! Thanks!

Advertisement