Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Vid to accompany the pic of the water running down the steps in DSC

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

eldwaro wrote: »
    early days...but ...any chance dundrum be open this weekend?

Well considering they have to get rid of at least 7ft of water in the carparks and retrieve the cars that were submerged before they even look at the centre its self, might be a tall order

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Just got a great world-weather forecast from Met Eireann after the RTE News just now....never mind the worst feckin' floods to hit Dublin in YEARS....PLEASE Met Eireann, tell me MORE about what it's like in South Africa, Scandinavia and the United States of America...!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

eigrod wrote: »
    This doesn't look good at all. Hopefully he will be found alive.

:(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1024/wicklow_flooding.html

Link to twitter in AH reports that a body has been found.

https://twitter.com/#!/damienrte

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't have any, I'm hoping the landlords insurance might.

Not sure that the landlords insurance will cover any of your stuff :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Edit: just saw above post. Re the Garda apparently swept away: :(

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/breakfastnt/status/128593895134212097

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

NickDrake wrote: »
    Link?

A lot more fell than that lad.

Yawn - your defence of your employers is pathetic

Link? Have you not seen the constant posting of ME warnings for localised flooding and high rainfalls in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Managed to get in from Naas to Kilmainham in about an hour and twenty going via Straffan to get onto the N4, which is okay bar one bit near Chapelizod. Some of the roads around Straffan are in awful nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

NickDrake wrote: »
    Link?

A lot more fell than that lad.

Yawn - your defence of your employers is pathetic

Take it easy eh. It was forecast by Met Eireann on their website yesterday, and even on Friday they had warned of general flood risks countrywide over the following few days. While a few mms more than 40 - 70 mm did fall in some places, they did a pretty good job overall.

As Danno said, if you build a shopping centre on a river then you're asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

cdsb46 wrote: »
    Well considering they have to get rid of at least 7ft of water in the carparks and retrieve the cars that were submerged before they even look at the centre its self, might be a tall order

so theres a chance...thats great :)

typical...girlfriend coming from germany...last time the queen stopped over, couldnt go to the zoo...starting to see a pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

a few questions and things to say. how bad was dundrum flooding, is it gone now and when will it reopen. will it rain more tnoght or tomorrow and how bad? will the rivers have gone down by morning? which areas in dublin were worst hit? in dublin outside my school there was maybe 3 feet of water at around 4!! imagine it now!! and down by the dodder ,the dodder road was closed with 6 feet of water on it and submerged cars:eek: river was absolutely huge!! a few roads closed or impassable in or around rathgar area. how did places like terenure,ranelagh,rathmines,milltown,donnybrook and rest of dundrum do??
    the park by dodder river was closed entire park does anyone know the oval shaped park? well completely covered in torrents of water and bridge into park closed:eek: this si amazing stuff ,hopes its not gone by tomorrow morning. whats town like, grafton street,oconnel street areas? thanks plz answer

There"s really not much point in contributing to a board if you havn't bothered to read it for the past few hours. This has been on the board quite a number of times at this stage.

Bit harsh, given that I'm only sitting down after fighting my way through the bloody water for three hours all told.

I edited my post - the ones directly above mine had not been posted when I began composing it.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

cdsb46 wrote: »

Knowing Dundrum they open the top two floors is that's all that's salvageable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

eldwaro wrote: »
    so theres a chance...thats great :)

typical...girlfriend coming from germany...last time the queen stopped over, couldnt go to the zoo...starting to see a pattern.

I'd be delighted with a reason to have to stay in in that situation. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

Glenvw wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear about your home. Will home insurance cover

I don't have any, I'm hoping the landlords insurance might.
    I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From reports it seems condolences are due to the young Garda's family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

sdeire wrote: »
    Bit harsh, given that I'm only sitting down after fighting my way through the bloody water for three hours all told.

I edited my post - the ones directly above mine had not been posted when I began composing it.

And to be pedantic, I have a paid subscription to boards.ie and have contributed a hugely greater number of times to it that you.

OK. Retracted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sirgandi

At 4.30pm today, I could just about drive through Blanch. Out in Clontarf now and thank God the water is staying below the wall. But has anyone noticed how little information is coming from official bodies right now? Home page of independent.ie has one small text line about the whole shindig. How much info do we get from councils about flooding in Ireland? Thank Christ for boards and all you folks for the second by second updates!!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

zerks wrote: »

ah sooo sad :(

OK. Retracted then.

And my last line retracted also, no need for any of us to be sniping on here. There are far more important things to expend energy worrying about tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

nutgrove ave is flooded near grange road, whitechurch at the tuning fork, dodder park road and lower dodder park road flooded. where the owendoher meets the dodder at springfield ave flooded, woodview cottages flooded.all in rathfarnham.

10idsg8.jpg

dodder at lower dodderpark road, river was about 15cm from bursting banks

jt52rp.jpg
    2pou0dj.jpg

dodder park road
    14j2qop.jpg
    dodder flotsam

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

zerks wrote: »
    That is so very sad . A young man trying to assist others by all accounts ,

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sirgandi

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    ah sooo sad :(

Thoughts and prayers to the family and families of people affected by today's deluge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd be delighted with a reason to have to stay in in that situation. :pac:

never come between a woman and her shopping...for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

bb1234567 wrote: »
    a few questions and things to say. how bad was dundrum flooding, is it gone now and when will it reopen. will it rain more tnoght or tomorrow and how bad? will the rivers have gone down by morning? which areas in dublin were worst hit? in dublin outside my school there was maybe 3 feet of water at around 4!! imagine it now!! and down by the dodder ,the dodder road was closed with 6 feet of water on it and submerged cars:eek: river was absolutely huge!! a few roads closed or impassable in or around rathgar area. how did places like terenure,ranelagh,rathmines,milltown,donnybrook and rest of dundrum do??
    the park by dodder river was closed entire park does anyone know the oval shaped park? well completely covered in torrents of water and bridge into park closed:eek: this si amazing stuff ,hopes its not gone by tomorrow morning. whats town like, grafton street,oconnel street areas? thanks plz answer

Keep reading the thread, the F5 key is like the red button on your remote. And thanks for your contribution too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

God love all those poor people that have homes destroyed. So sad about that poor young guard. we will all have to wait and see what dawn brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Drogheda

wl7u4x.jpg
    e3d6f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

apologies for asking, I have to get back to Dublin, templeogue 2 moro from donegal. I was going to go tonight but I decided there is no point in another car joining the bad roads. would you suggest hitting dublin around 6.30 or 7 or better to leave and hit dublin around 11 or 12

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Had to go check servers for work, M1 southbound is flooded just before the port tunnel, about a foot of water. Ballybough is closed at clonliffe road. Swords road around the regency has a mini river running down the left hand side and all the shores are pouring water out of them. The road beside afghans is also closed. Santry is flooded again near the Swiss cottage, and there is an almighty pot hole outbound near the bus stop outside the omni. The M1 outbound is flooded at the M1/m50 junction, 1.5 lanes are open and passable on the right, but the merging traffic is causing a big delay, a few abandoned cars there too.
    I know this is probably a rehash of stuff posted before, but we're just in the door so it's very up to date info.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nutgrove ave is flooded near grange road, whitechurch at the tuning fork, dodder park road and lower dodder park road flooded. where the owendoher meets the dodder at springfield ave flooded, woodview cottages flooded.all in rathfarnham.

http://i51.tinypic.com/10idsg8.jpg

dodder at lower dodderpark road, river was about 15cm from bursting banks

http://i53.tinypic.com/jt52rp.jpg
    http://i54.tinypic.com/2pou0dj.jpg

dodder park road
    http://i54.tinypic.com/14j2qop.jp
    dodder flotsam

Can you please resize your pictures before you post?

Advertisement