Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

I think i have a few males ones ...will check when im home.
    they're the AMP UP pins yeah?

Yeah male one only 4, if you do I'd really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

would you believe,I have exactly 4 of them left.
    PM address and ill send to ya my good man

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Cheers for the ideas, the cab is in great nick but the control panel has become faded and needs replacing. I'll post a few pictures as I go about any restorations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

LoGiE wrote: »
    Cheers for the ideas, the cab is in great nick but the control panel has become faded and needs replacing. I'll post a few pictures as I go about any restorations :)

After you have replaced th cp overlay, put a nice piece of clear plastic Perspex over to protect everything.

Came across this yolk on AO..good god.
    What disturbed individual would create such a thing.Hilarious

somac_final11.jpg

somac_final04.jpg

somac_final08.jpg

somac_final16.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah!!! See that head down the bottom? That's how my face feels after looking at that creation.

Definitely the work of a serial killer.
    A buffalo bill type that stuffs victims heads and puts them in cabs as manikin heads.

Think it'll be in the next Criminal minds season

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I can see that being me in 5 years if keep trying to work on cabs that keep trying to break you heart, eventually they will break me and I will become mental...

And hopefully if do become a Serial Killer - It will only be my cabs I kill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A very good friend has kindly loaned me his review version of the OCZ RevoDrive3 X2 MAX IOPS 960GB PCI Express SSD drive.

hd086oc37905350.jpg

What's this got to do with arcade stuff? Well, I'm planning on sticking one of these or similar(as in cheaper as these cost over 3k euro at the moment:eek:) as my main boot drive on the hyperspin pc so that when the candy is powered up it should boot to the main hyperspin frontend in 5-8 seconds max(slowed only by the bios itself and that can be tweaked on this system). Not really instant on but pretty damn good and fast enough to help mask the fact that there is a PC booting up inside the candy cab. A little help with the illusion if you will.
    Overkill? Very much so :pac:

Quick speed test(it can go faster but my own pc is the bottleneck here):

ssdspeed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Steve SI wrote: »
    Not really instant on but pretty damn good and fast enough to help mask the fact that there is a PC booting up inside the candy cab. A little help with the illusion if you will.

I've never seen a Candy cab when its powered on, are arcade machines really all that instant? No unskippable screens or anything?

(Actually I've never seen any arcade machine powered on, except a Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja one from a pub in rural Sligo, no idea what the internal hardware on that was though. JAMMA probably)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

somac_final16.jpg

• Garfield sticker
    • Twin floppy disks
    • "Bullet hell" re-enacted with screws
    Didn't HP Lovecraft write a story about something like this?

Master of the Universe

a5y wrote: »
    Actually I've never seen any arcade machine powered on

Ye wha?!!?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ye wha?!!?!

I think he means he's never seen one switched on - as in does anything appear on screen when it's powered on. I would have been the same until I got my own cab - sure anytime you go into an arcade they're already on. :)

Master of the Universe

Ahhhhhhhhh, as in seeing one start up?

In the pub we played games in down the country as kids we were always plugging the Neo Geo cab out and restarting it to try and get free credits. Obviously it never worked, but we'd heard otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Most games go through a quick POST routine, usually the likes of:

Rom 1 check = passed
    Rom 2 check = passed
    Sounds 1 check = passed

etc ect & then it boots to attract-mode

In the pub we played games in down the country as kids we were always plugging the Neo Geo cab out and restarting it to try and get free credits. Obviously it never worked, but we'd heard otherwise!

I was that soldier too, damn arcade room rumours. There was of course legitimate reasons to power cycle a cab back then, any SF2 connoisseurs will know why :p

Aye that's how I read it.

Lol yee little feckers, good thing they're sturdy yokes. Good to see this thread revived too. :)

@Steve_SI: I'm not quite as OCD as yourself, I just power on the PC a few seconds before I flick on the cab switch. Sure as soon as you see the Hyperspin wheel you know it's not genuine (better than the Windows logo though I guess).

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I was that soldier too, damn arcade room rumours. There was of course legitimate reasons to power cycle a cab back then, any SF2 connoisseurs will know why :p

Imagine you accidentally somehow managed to access the dip menu. You'd think you stumbled across some kind of witchcraft :D

What's the story with cab power cycling on SF2? Never heard of that one.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol yee little feckers, good thing they're sturdy yokes. Good to see this thread revived too. :).

Indeed, horrible to think I probably did damage to the cab! Then again, it's more than likely been smashed up and put in a landfill by now. :(

What's the story with cab power cycling on SF2? Never heard of that one

Ever play as Guile in The World Warrior? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Is that the sticky man glitch thingy??

• Advertisement

Imagine you accidentally somehow managed to access the dip menu. You'd think you stumbled across some kind of witchcraft :D

You can access the test screen and dip menu on Raiden by holding both P1 & P2 Start buttons when powering on. :cool:

Master of the Universe

Is that the Guile throw glitch thing or something else?
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    You can access the test screen and dip menu on Raiden by holding both P1 & P2 Start buttons when powering on. :cool:

Didn't know that! Now to find it in an arcade somewhere and put it on freeplay :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Is that the Guile throw glitch thing or something else?:D
    The handcuffs! :pac:

pretty sure you could get out if though as far as i remember, the round didnt end until you did though even after the time ran out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    Is that the sticky man glitch thingy??

Aul fella in cinema glitch? :pac:

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Aul fella in cinema glitch? :pac:

We call that one the 'Johnny_Ultimate glitch'

keithgeo wrote: »
    The handcuffs! :pac:

pretty sure you could get out if though as far as i remember, the round didnt end until you did though even after the time ran out.

You could get out of them indeed, but not everyone knew how. Before I learned, it wouldn't be uncommon to walk up to an SF2 cab & find it glitched with this. Easy way was to power cycle & hope you wern't spotted by a manager :o

Master of the Universe

Any of you fine arcade appreciating gentlemen own an Atomiswave motherboard?

I'm quite taken with Dolphin Blue.

Plus Metal Slug 6 is on the system too.

Seems there is a company making high quality bootleg carts for the system too for around 50 euro per game. Check out the price difference.

Boot

http://cgi.ebay.fr/K7-Metal-Slug-6-atomiswave-/140781786089?pt=FR_YO_Jeux_Jeux_JeuxCafes&hash=item20c73f93e9

Not a boot

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Metal-Slug-6-Atomiswave-Original-Notice-originale-No-Bootleg-No-Fake--/370599725199?pt=FR_YO_Jeux_Jeux_JeuxCafes&hash=item564977088f

I'd say Dolphin Blue is even more expensive.

Really would like to pick one up. They seem to clock in around 200-250 for the mobo alone, so better start saving.

Was only just talking about the Atomiswave mobo and carts this morning - I'm thinking of swapping back in the 1P CP for a while (just to be seated centre screen) and that has the card reader on it but only works with Atomiswave games iirc. Never been too push about the games but never really looked into what's available either. I did read from AO that ebay is riddled with Chinese boots of the carts.

Is MS6 rare or something? Didn't think Atomiswave carts were all that expensive?

Master of the Universe

Real Atomiswave carts can be very expensive. Too expensive to buy really. From my recently searching on ebay, not too common either.

I think those bootlegs would be the only way to go - if you see an Atomiswave game listed cheaper (say under 100 euro) then it's one of the bootlegs. They all have a serial number from a select pool of a bout 10 serials though, so you can check it off against a list to see if it's a bootleg.

Good thread on it here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?225056-Atomiswave-Bootleg-Carts

Here's the cheapest official Dolphin Blue I can find on ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolphin-Blue-Sammy-Atomiswave-Cartridge-ORIGINAL-RARE-with-Shockbox-/320925457928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab8a5de08

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm quite taken with Dolphin Blue.

I've seen that on quite a few Game Centre YouTube videos. It looks brilliant. One for my OCD 'stuff to do at the Game Centre' itinerary:
    1. Play Dolphin Blue
    2. Find all the Darius cabs.
    3. Die happy.

In that order.

If the game is any use I'd pick it up. It goes for silly money though I think.

Advertisement