Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Keeper League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think it should remain as a Snake draft.
    If we wish to use a Linear draft next year maybe, but we would have to vote on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I say keep the linear. Keeps it as real as the NFL as possible and is something different from the snakes we usually do. 4 keepers is enough to keep the strong teams strong. You'll get a lot more respect winning the league from a high draft choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I say keep the linear. Keeps it as real as the NFL as possible and is something different from the snakes we usually do. 4 keepers is enough to keep the strong teams strong. You'll get a lot more respect winning the league from a high draft choice!

I agree with this. I know I might be slightly biased but I do think it keeps it more realistic, as in FF 4 big players is a huge help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

I'm not against a Linear draft. Just not this year. We played by the rules last year as they were set and all drafts I take place in are Snake. So I played with this in mind.
    If we change it to Linear, I think we need to vote and then it would be next years draft and not this years.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I'm not against a Linear draft. Just not this year. We played by the rules last year as they were set and all drafts I take place in are Snake. So I played with this in mind.
    If we change it to Linear, I think we need to vote and then it would be next years draft and not this years.

Why change it next year as opposed to this year?

Most other leagues I am in draft snake because they aren't keeper leagues. I would prefer linear but I don't mind snake draft either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

There's a bit of a pattern forming here, those who did better last year, and who are now drafting late, want a snake draft, naturally. Those who are drafting earlier want a linear one, as this is a clear advantage for them.

I may be wrong, but I don't think any of this was discussed last year in setting up the league. If I am wrong I apologise but I don't remember it. I don't think it was even discussed about the draft order, where the better you do the later your draft pick. I actually have no problem with that, but I don't remember anything being decided about that. There was certainly no talk about a linear draft, and I honestly have no idea why we would introduce this now, it seems to have come out of the blue.

Those of us who finished in the higher positions last year are already stuck with late picks in the first round. That's enough to balance things up, surely. To repeat, THIS IS NOT THE NFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

There was no talk about this year's draft last year full stop, whether it be snake or linear. Maybe people just assumed it would be snake, but that's just assumptions. I always assumed it would be linear, so I could make the same grievances if it ended up being snake.

Perhaps we should ask a couple of regular forum members who aren't in the league what they think is fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

We vote on these things in the offseason - so that's what we're doing, voting. Some people will like it, some won't, but as always the majority will decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

im for linear

why not

its far more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

why have some parts of the league realistic and other parts unrealistic. Its a keeper league, no team in the NFL has to keep only 4 of its roster so there is reality thrown out the window straight away

Im 9th in the order so which ever method is chosen wont affect my draft at all. However i do feel the snake draft to be a fairer method for a couple of reasons.

1.Im sure TO will not put his success last year to the 4 keepers he is keeping, its probably more cos of the depth he had. The fact that he's only allowed to keep 4 automatically brings everyone closer to him.

2. With 16 people keeping 4 players thats 64 players off the board before we draft. That makes the rookies prime picks and they will rightfully go to the players that finished down the bottom of the league given the draft order posted previously.

These two will more than balance the inequalities between the bottom of the league and the top of the league.

• Advertisement

Keeping Brees, Peyton, Austin & Davis. Offers for Peyton are being accepted.

This is Skeleton Boy, who came fourteenth in last year's league and so will be drafting third this year. Do these look like substandard keepers, players that are going to make it impossible for him to compete? I came third, and am keeping Eli, Larry Fitzgerald, Ryan Matthews, Jordy Nelson. Decent keepers but hardly streets better than the ones above.

This idea that four keepers gives a big advantage to certain teams in this year's league is totally bogus. Spongey put it well, TO won last year because of depth, not because of his best 4 players. Most people have decent keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

do we lose a pick in the round taht we took our keeper? ie will i lose a first round pick if i keep tom brady?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

However i do feel the snake draft to be a fairer method for a couple of reasons.

1.Im sure TO will not put his success last year to the 4 keepers he is keeping, its probably more cos of the depth he had. The fact that he's only allowed to keep 4 automatically brings everyone closer to him.

2. With 16 people keeping 4 players thats 64 players off the board before we draft. That makes the rookies prime picks and they will rightfully go to the players that finished down the bottom of the league given the draft order posted previously.

These two will more than balance the inequalities between the bottom of the league and the top of the league.
    For these reasons, the draft should be in snake format. You gotta imagine that Luck, RG3 and Richardson will probably first 3 picks in this draft. That gives these teams a big advantage and then they get to pick 1,2 and 3 in the next round.

Also, I think if we go linear for drafting then we could end up with teams that are out of contention for the playoffs playing for last in future seasons. That could affect the integrity of the league.

I finished 4th will pick 13th which is fine by me. I'll keep Foster (obviously), Schaub (there wont be a better QB on the board by the time I pick) and 2 of Jackson, Lloyd or Crabtree (I'm not of fan of Jackson's move)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

WilcoOut wrote: »
    do we lose a pick in the round taht we took our keeper? ie will i lose a first round pick if i keep tom brady?

I checked the keeper rules on NFL.com and it says that the 4 keepers are basically the first 4 rounds so we all start drafting on an equal footing in the 5th round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

As someone who plays in a paid 5 man keeper with a linear draft its a cúnt to keep any consistency in. And the we have never had the same winner in all the years playing it. It truly is a crap shoot if you win the league and have to pick last all the time in the draft the next season. And that is with 5 keepers and only has 10 people in the league.

If I have to play a linear league so be it but I would suggest moving the keepers right now to 6. Trust me when I say no matter how good you are at fantasy or think you are even if you are at the top Linear drafts will test you big time. And that advantage you think you have wont last.

If we vote on it and it goes linear firstly Fook you and secondly bring it on chumps.

Edit: I just text one of buddies who is the in the 10man keeper with the linear league saying people want to do it with 16 and only 4 keepers and his response:

"Bro I hope that isn't for money as it too lobsided"

There was more to the message but it wasn't suitable for posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've been away for a few days so this is the first I'm hearing of this linear/snake debate. Having just 4 keepers is enough of a leveling out factor without adding in a linear format.. it is so skewed against last years top teams it's ridiculous.

The argument that last years low-finishers deserve the early picks to restore "parity" is voided by having just 4 keepers. Every team should have 4 top players, the strength of the winning rosters comes deeper, at #5, #6 etc, i.e. players who will be cut.

The argument that the NFL uses a linear draft so we should follow that is just mind-boggling to me. Every NFL team didn't have to cut 3/4 of their roster in the off-season and those players weren't returned to the draft pool. A linear draft makes sense in a rookie-only draft or in a league with at least 6+ keepers.

I have been convinced that we should just stick with the snake draft.

The majority have spoken, snake it is.

Democracy rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Cam
    Stafford
    Chris Johnson
    Julio jones

I think these will be my 4 keepers

Also have Jon Baldwin,kendall hunter,mark ingram.Im very near to keeping baldwin over julion jones but that seems insane :D

raven136 wrote: »
    Cam
    Stafford
    Chris Johnson
    Julio jones

Also have Jon Baldwin,kendall hunter,mark ingram.Im very near to keeping baldwin over julion jones but that seems insane :D

Nice keepers. A top 5 WR, a top 5 RB and 2 top 5 QBs. And you have the first pick! Thankfully we went for the snake draft, with a linear you would have walked this league.

(BTW, it's not insane at all to keep Baldwin over Julio Jones, really, not insane, seriously, throw Julio back into the pile, I'll take him off your hands :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

fisgon wrote: »
    Nice keepers. A top 5 WR, a top 5 RB and 2 top 5 QBs. And you have the first pick! Thankfully we went for the snake draft, with a linear you would have walked this league.

(BTW, it's not insane at all to keep Baldwin over Julio Jones, really, not insane, seriously, throw Julio back into the pile, I'll take him off your hands :D)

So keeping Julion Jones it is so and drafting Megatron :D:D

Cam
    Stafford
    Chris Johnson
    Julio jones

Yeah not half bad there. :pac:

Cam
    Stafford
    Chris Johnson
    Julio jones

Did you tank for the #1 pick or what? :D

Anyone know when the keepers are locked in?

Also was just looking at draft order on the draft info page, its looks to be linear. Does it need to be updated?

Coeus wrote: »
    Also was just looking at draft order on the draft info page, its looks to be linear. Does it need to be updated?

It does, and it will be.

Input needed guys.

Per the poll, the most popular date is tomorrow at 9pm. Is that correct? i.e. is everyone okay with that?

Input needed guys.

Per the poll, the most popular date is tomorrow at 9pm. Is that correct? i.e. is everyone okay with that?

I'm now going to be away until Sunday night. If it's going ahead tomorrow night I'll set up my preferences and rankings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Input needed guys.

Im out tomorrow evening will miss the first half hour to hour so probably whole draft.

Input needed guys.

Draft time is cool with me. I can go later if required...

• Advertisement

9pm is fine for me. As above, a half hour or so later would be fine too.

Tomorrow is the only possible night I reckon, as Fri and Sat are probably bad for people, Sunday is PPR league and Monday there are loads of drafts.

Advertisement