Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spookiest experience of your life

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Rds1989 wrote: »
    yeah sleep paralysis is incredibly unsettling the first time, its like you are in a nightmare but awake

Yeah i wouldnt wish it on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Was walking home alone from college in Limerick one night after playing a late night poker game in red raisins. My home was a mile outside the college (Briarfield for Limerick peeps)

It was about 4am and very foggy and cold

I was going to take the usual short cut through Elm Park (housing estate across from UL) when I noticed a woman standing 100 yards ahead of me in a white dressing gown. Her back was to me and she was staring further up the estate to a group of hooded individuals all wearing black under a tree.

She stood still for a second (I was rooted to the spot with fear at this stage) until she took off running toward the hooded group screaming.

When she reached them one of the hooded men put his hands on her shoulder and she immeaditaly turned around to face down in my direction

They all then started slowly marching down towards me in tandem

Needless to say I ****ing bolted around by the lodge to get home

Had to wake everyone up when I got home I was so frightened

getting the creeps even typing this

Were ye not tempted to call their bluff? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Used to be scared as a young lad when sent for a message in town by my mother on a dark night as i had to pass the cemetery. My mother used to tell me " You won't meet anything worse than yourself ".
    I always wondered why she said that !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Church related one:

There's an old deconsecrated famine church in my neighborhood. Spooky old place with a bit of history to it. One of the builders was meant to have fallen off the roof or hanged himself from it. The cross on the roof throws an eerie shadow over the inside of the church. The grounds contain the tomb of a carriage driver who was burned to death by his employers wastrel son. Its the only grave there. When we were kids a corner of this tomb had been left smashed open and I had pulled a bone out of it as a bet. ( No idea if it was kosher human bone)

Anyway I was walking home from a friends one night after a skinful and I had'nt been down that way in a long time, so given all new buildings that had sprung up, I decided to cut through the church. I'm walking past the tomb and I noticed there's a very large figure over at the wall behind the tomb just standing there. I walking past eyes glued to convince myself its a shadow but as I walk past this f**ker is remaining stubbornly three dimensional and he's way too big for a normal man. I glance ahead to the exit and I see in the grass beside the path a human torso coming from the ground with its arms raised and a massive pair of leather wings behind it. With that all rational bravery flees and I am off on my toes, I pegged it out onto the safety of main road and I looked back as I fought to catch my breath. I see a sign outside the church about an exhibition of young sculptors works in the grounds. Bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Hasmunch wrote: »
    I used to watch a load of stuff on tele about ghosts and paranormal stuff but used to freak myself out so much i couldnt sleep.
    I had to give up watching Scooby Doo.

You dont watch scooby doo :eek: Youre missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Ok didn't really happen to me but it gave me a quare dose of the heebie geebies when I heard it.

A local farmer had just calved a cow late enough one night. He kept the cow in a shed that had once been a house many years ago. More than likely had been around since famine times. Anyway, once he was finished and everything was as it should have been he packed up and went home, just a 2min walk away.

His young daughter was up and wanted to go down to see the new calf. It was a stormy enough night and kinda late so rather than bring the young girl out he went back down to the shed to take a picture of the calf on his phone.

It wasn't until he returned to the house and took a closer look at the picture that he saw a strange figure standing in the background. Naturally him and his wife were kinda freaked out by this and neither of them recognised this figure in the picture.

The following night he was over in the local and showed the picture around to the usual suspects. Most people were skeptical and wouldn't believe that it was real. The farmer was adamant that the picture was the real deal. Finally one aul fella in his usual spot beside the fire took a look and recognised the figure as a young priest that strangely disappeared in the area during the 60s!

Anytime now I'm walking past that place after a night in the local I can't help but get a dose of the ****s and walk a bit faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*bump in the night*

Shameless Halloween bump, but with some stories to boot.

I've had some very simple but spooky experiences reading late at night in my somewhat isolated house which makes many creaking noise.

Reading The Shining over Christmas a few years ago gave me a few good chills. One of the spookiest was after a simple section where Danny is alone in a hall in the hotel and behind his back a fire hose slips from the wall slightly and onto the ground. He then has to walk back past it and is terrified to do so. It was very scary walking back to bed in the dark after that!

Another time back when I was ten or eleven I was reading The 4th Armada Ghost Book, an old anthology of horror stories deemed suitable enough for kids.
    Most were unremarkable, even to a kid, but one, "The Three D's" by Ogden Nash really freaked me out.

I was reading it in bed, with just my older sister in the house as my parents were out.
    The basic story is of a new girl in a boarding school in the countryside who wants to join an elite clique. To do so, she has to slip out her window at midnight and head out into the woods and meadows to an old, ruined, solitary gravestone nearby, reputed to be the grave of a legendary witch.
    She leaves a dummy in her bed in case anyone looks in.
    Terrified, she makes her way to the grave and picks a flower, I think, as proof she did it. She starts hurrying back, but unknown to her, something rustles the leaves and scuttles past her.
    She climbs back in through her window and reaches over to remove the dummy. But as she removes the sheet, a dusty hand reaches out first...
    The end..

The story itself was terrifying enough, especially with me reading it while in bed.
    But it came shortly after I'd seen a newspaper report about an iceman discovered in the Alps, who I was terrified of finding in my bed every night for some reason.
    Now I was afraid of finding him or a dusty, shrivelled little old witch.

Finally, one night, also as a kid, reading some kids' novel about vikings pretty late at night, I heard what could only be described as the sound of a baby in great distress coming through my open window. This went on for a couple of minutes and left me frozen in terror but also wondering if I should go do something.
    After a bit, the sound modulated enough for me to realise that it was a cat crying! I'd never heard it before, and the first time is terrifying!

So the moral of the story, kids, is never read books!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Ok didn't really happen to me but it gave me a quare dose of the heebie geebies when I heard it.

A local farmer had just calved a cow late enough one night. He kept the cow in a shed that had once been a house many years ago. More than likely had been around since famine times. Anyway, once he was finished and everything was as it should have been he packed up and went home, just a 2min walk away.

His young daughter was up and wanted to go down to see the new calf. It was a stormy enough night and kinda late so rather than bring the young girl out he went back down to the shed to take a picture of the calf on his phone.

It wasn't until he returned to the house and took a closer look at the picture that he saw a strange figure standing in the background. Naturally him and his wife were kinda freaked out by this and neither of them recognised this figure in the picture.

The following night he was over in the local and showed the picture around to the usual suspects. Most people were skeptical and wouldn't believe that it was real. The farmer was adamant that the picture was the real deal. Finally one aul fella in his usual spot beside the fire took a look and recognised the figure as a young priest that strangely disappeared in the area during the 60s!

Anytime now I'm walking past that place after a night in the local I can't help but get a dose of the ****s and walk a bit faster!

Good story but wheres the pics????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

My brothers story but I'm taking it for this occasion.
    About 20 years ago was brother was being droped to the next town to my grand mothers by my mother.
    On the way my brother saw his mate thumbing in the opposite direction, thought nothing of it, tried to salute him but your man never saw him or saluted back so no big deal.
    He mentioned to my mother at this stage who the guy thumbing was.
    Much later that evening they arrived home and my dad broke the news to him that his friend had been killed. He was devastated of course especially as he had only seen him earlier thumbing. My mother confirmed he had mentioned your mans name when they past earlier.
    My dad was shocked, he had been killed the day before canoeing in lough derg or somewhere.
    My brother swears to this day that he saw your man. He couldn't have known he was already dead and my mother backs him to the hilt on it. Both of them still get freaked out majorly.
    Too freaky for me to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My brothers story but I'm taking it for this occasion.
    About 20 years ago was brother was being droped to the next town to my grand mothers by my mother.
    On the way my brother saw his mate thumbing in the opposite direction, thought nothing of it, tried to salute him but your man never saw him or saluted back so no big deal.
    He mentioned to my mother at this stage who the guy thumbing was.
    Much later that evening they arrived home and my dad broke the news to him that his friend had been killed. He was devastated of course especially as he had only seen him earlier thumbing. My mother confirmed he had mentioned your mans name when they past earlier.
    My dad was shocked, he had been killed the day before canoeing in lough derg or somewhere.
    My brother swears to this day that he saw your man. He couldn't have known he was already dead and my mother backs him to the hilt on it. Both of them still get freaked out majorly.
    Too freaky for me to ignore

Woah that is incredibly creepy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

A few of us had a sleepover when we were about 11 or 12. We all slept in the living room, downstairs, and were having a great time until we started playing the ouija board.

It was all kind of creepy. Much worse when we heard loud, rapid footsteps down the stairs. Just down, not back up. Eeeek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Weird. I used to live in Elm Park. What part of the estate is this? I've often heard rumours about Elm Park being haunted.

Really, I never heard anything and I lived there for 3 years.... Would you know anymore about it, would love to hear more!

Heard that the White House and the "Castle" near Thomond are supposed to be haunted, some friends swore they saw something or knew someone who saw something (or something!)

Myself and 2 of my friends were in the main building very late at night (like 2am) once and we saw something in the top floor of C Block. We all dismissed it as sleep deprivation tho, and it became a bit of joke. It was a girl coming directly across us as we were coming out of a lift, but she disappeared, thought it was my imagination until my friend looked at me and said, "Did you see that?!"

Have had two other similar experiences in Scotland and Australia but never anything as concrete as some posters here (the hitching one, Jesus!)

Fishooks, that is beyond creepy, sounds like you came across a satanic cult or something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Weird. I used to live in Elm Park. What part of the estate is this? I've often heard rumours about Elm Park being haunted.

Really, I never heard anything and I lived there for 3 years.... Would you know anymore about it, would love to hear more!

Heard that the White House and the "Castle" near Thomond are supposed to be haunted, some friends swore they saw something or knew someone who saw something (or something!)

Myself and 2 of my friends were in the main building very late at night (like 2am) once and we saw something in the top floor of C Block. We all dismissed it as sleep deprivation tho, and it became a bit of joke. It was a girl coming directly across us as we were coming out of a lift, but she disappeared, thought it was my imagination until my friend looked at me and said, "Did you see that?!"

Have had two other similar experiences in Scotland and Australia but never anything as concrete as some posters here (the hitching one, Jesus!)

Fishooks, that is beyond creepy, sounds like you came across a satanic cult or something!!

It was odd to say the least!

Safe to say I won't be living in Elm Park for 4th year!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Some Creepy people here on Boards.ie.I'm surprised at the number of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Just one reason among many I'd say!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

God, I always go through Elm Park on my way to Milford from the lodge... Won't on my own anymore! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Was walking home alone from college in Limerick one night after playing a late night poker game in red raisins. My home was a mile outside the college (Briarfield for Limerick peeps)

It was about 4am and very foggy and cold

I was going to take the usual short cut through Elm Park (housing estate across from UL) when I noticed a woman standing 100 yards ahead of me in a white dressing gown. Her back was to me and she was staring further up the estate to a group of hooded individuals all wearing black under a tree.

She stood still for a second (I was rooted to the spot with fear at this stage) until she took off running toward the hooded group screaming.

When she reached them one of the hooded men put his hands on her shoulder and she immeaditaly turned around to face down in my direction

They all then started slowly marching down towards me in tandem

Needless to say I ****ing bolted around by the lodge to get home

Had to wake everyone up when I got home I was so frightened

getting the creeps even typing this

You're an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

my marriage. Thank Dog it ended over 10 years ago :p

I've enough ghost experiences to fill a horror movie :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I think there's a logical explanation for most stories, and most just get exaggerated. They're still fun though.

Not my story, but a friend and old housemate (who posts on here, alright Ray ;)) told me of the time his grandmother died when he was younger. He came home from school the day after she died and when he walked into the kitchen, there, sitting at the table was who he thought was his grandmother. It turned out it was her sister who was the spitting image of her, and my friend had never met her in his life because she had lived in England since she was young. He said he nearly got a heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

When me and the lads were in our teens we got the notion of over night fishing/drinking in St.Mullins. When we got there we went straight to the pub and sampled a few local pints. Before we new it, it was closing time and we had no were to stay over nigh as we had not booked any were.

We decided to head down to the river any way and we stumbled across a large disused Boat. One of the lads (Bob) was first to climb up on the boat in the pitch black and search for some were to sleep. As we wondered through the darkness Bob screemed like a child and ran over us, jumped out of the boat and landed on a rock and two of the lads fishing rods, nearly broke his back. Bob said he was groped buy some thing!!! Little did he know one of the lads sneaked on to the boat before us all and hid in a cupbard ha ha joke was on him though cause it was his fishing rod that bob landed on.

To This day Bob thinks he was gropped by casper ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

a man is lying in bed one night when a flash of lightning lights up the room .
    In the flash he sees several faces watching him from the mirror,freaked out he chucks the mirror out and tries not to think about it
    a couple of weeks later in a friends house washing his hands in a friends bathroom writing starts forming in the condensation on the mirror
    "please put back the mirror we miss watching you sleep"

forget where i read this if its a repost apologies but it always freaks me out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

a man is lying in bed one night when a flash of lightning lights up the room .
    In the flash he sees several faces watching him from the mirror,freaked out he chucks the mirror out and tries not to think about it
    a couple of weeks later in a friends house washing his hands in a friends bathroom writing starts forming in the condensation on the mirror
    "please put back the mirror we miss watching you sleep"

forget where i read this if its a repost apologies but it always freaks me out

This is an old thread, and theres a more active one along the same lines that I started a while back (oops, didnt see this one). This sounds like a creepypasta to me, theres a lot which follow the same format and they tend to get repasted a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

You motherf*ckers had to bump this thread late on a Sunday night. No sleep for me, may as well stay up and watch wrestlemania.

Advertisement