Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spookiest experience of your life

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

My mum used to work in a nursing home. She told me stories of buzzers going off in locked, empty rooms. When the buzzer was pressed in a room a red light would flash at reception. She said it happened so often in locked rooms that she just ignored it after a while, as did all the other nurses.

Also lots of stories of seeing shadows and stuff like that. It used to scare me but fascinate me at the same time.

I was once in a swimming pool at school and was swimming along when I saw two white legs run in front of me. I immediately stood up and took my head out of the water and there was no-one there. No chance anyone could have run past me and got out of the pool in a split second. That terrified me for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I was pretty young, maybe 5-8 or thereabouts and I had just developed an intense fear of the dark so I slept with a torch in my hand. I was lying awake one night in the dark with my torch thinking about all the nasty things that can get a child in his bed and an image of dark hand popped into my head, I could see it rising up from underneath by bed towards that gap between the headboard and the mattress where my exposed neck was.

I froze in terror and awaited the immanent moment when some demon would grab me and drag me off. Then I pictured it pointing out its long dirty fingernail at my neck and at the precise moment it hit me in the image in my head I felt a sharp pain on the back of my neck. Cant remember if I pissed myself or passed out but I remember afterwards there being a little scratch on my neck.

Was spooky at the time but I've since grown up and realised it was just an insect bite or something and I must have scratched it myself by inspecting it a bit vigorously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

vixdname wrote: »
    Was this the Glen Dale hospital by any chance..if so, have a read of this:

http://wikimapia.org/71960/Glenn-Dale-Hospital-abandoned

No it is not, i dont wanna say the name of the hospital as i was not supposed to be taking photos of where i was and dont want to be found out... but my hospital does house the criminally insane or those who have been found not criminally responsible to be more politically correct.. Glen Dale Hospital sounds interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Her back was to me and she was staring further up the estate

How did you know she was staring if you could only see her back ?

EdenHazard wrote: »
    two lads i know driving home along the big long road into kilternan(you know the 1 from shankill?) at about 1am in the morning, anyway so they're driving when what do they see but a giant women in all white just literally taking big strides down the road, the way they described it was as if the walk was a joke just over the top and exagerrated. none of them said anything then bout 2 mins later they both look at each other and were like 'did you see that ye' kept driving and that was that

why do ghosts seem to come in oversized form?

I am from Shankill myself. That road gives me the creeps too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Was in a pub one Sunday evening after a football match when the door burst open and there was this mad looking one standing there. She pointed down the counter at me and shouted " where the **** were you, your were supposed to meet me an hour ago. As i had never seen her before i pointed at myself and mouthed. Me? She replied "Yes you ya b
    d." She picked up an empty bottle and started down the counter towards me. I tried to back out but there was a crowd behind me. When she got down the length of the counter she made a swing at the lad standing behind me. It turned out he was her boyfriend. I had already **** myself at that stage !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

lanomist wrote: »
    Was in a pub one Sunday evening after a football match when the door burst open and there was this mad looking one standing there. She pointed down the counter at me and shouted " where the **** were you, your were supposed to meet me an hour ago. As i had never seen her before i pointed at myself and mouthed. Me? She replied "Yes you ya b
    d." She picked up an empty bottle and started down the counter towards me. I tried to back out but there was a crowd behind me. When she got down the length of the counter she made a swing at the lad standing behind me. It turned out he was her boyfriend. I had already **** myself at that stage !!!
    She sounds like a lovely person, he's lucky to have her .. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Wish i could remember the exact details of this one but for the life of me can't!

About 4 years ago I got a phonecall at around 4 in the morning on a worknight. Male voice saying my name, would laugh when I asked who it was. Then he started saying my boyfriend's (now husband) name and asking did I want him to help me. At first I assumed it was a friend taking the piss. Whoever it was started naming random people I know - my best friend from home, my cousin, boyfriends brother, a fella I worked with and 2 girls I had lived with in college. Even gave their surnames. Gave other details about my boyfriend too and kept asking me to guess who he was.

No one apart from me would have known all these details (boyfriend probably wouldn't even have known surnames). I was kinda half asleep and didn't know what was going on. Hung up the phone and called boyfriend - his phone was off (he always switched it off at night) and left hom a voicemail f***ing him out of it for scaring me. Called two other suspects but both answered half asleep.

Honestly didn't recognise the voice. Next morning checked my phone and had been in call for 7 minutes!!!Went through everyone I could think of and honestly no way anyone could have all that info about me!!!

Wasn't even overly creeped out at the time but would sh*t myself if it happened now!

Wish i could remember the exact details of this one but for the life of me can't!

About 4 years ago I got a phonecall at around 4 in the morning on a worknight. Male voice saying my name, would laugh when I asked who it was. Then he started saying my boyfriend's (now husband) name and asking did I want him to help me. At first I assumed it was a friend taking the piss. Whoever it was started naming random people I know - my best friend from home, my cousin, boyfriends brother, a fella I worked with and 2 girls I had lived with in college. Even gave their surnames. Gave other details about my boyfriend too and kept asking me to guess who he was.

No one apart from me would have known all these details (boyfriend probably wouldn't even have known surnames). I was kinda half asleep and didn't know what was going on. Hung up the phone and called boyfriend - his phone was off (he always switched it off at night) and left hom a voicemail f***ing him out of it for scaring me. Called two other suspects but both answered half asleep.

Honestly didn't recognise the voice. Next morning checked my phone and had been in call for 7 minutes!!!Went through everyone I could think of and honestly no way anyone could have all that info about me!!!

Wasn't even overly creeped out at the time but would sh*t myself if it happened now!

Don't worry. It's probably just a serial killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The only thing that spooked me out majorly was when I used to go for walks up the country roads in the pitch black during winter as a younger teen. Good exercise, anyways. I didn't use a torch because your eyes usually adjust and you can see fine after a while. About 30 mins into my walk I heard the loudest, most high pitched scream I have ever heard, and it lasted for about 30 seconds. I was terrified and nearly shat myself. Turned out it was fox killing a rabbit :rolleyes: well used to the sound now.

I have seen many many strange objects in the skies over the past years though, things that made me a little bit spooked but more interested than anything. Things that I cant identify.
    And before anybody says anything to me, I well know what a chinese lantern looks like. Im highly interested in aviation and can tell what a plane/helicopter looks like, I can name the model and type on a whim. Im also interested in Astronomy so I know what most of the things that we can see up there are. There is just no explaining what these things are, my friend has seen many of the same things as I and even more too. of course everyone is going to suggest the most simple things and doubt me though:rolleyes:

One recent thing I saw that was weird was about March this year, driving home from town one evening with my dad and what appeared to be a bird on fire was flying over the road. :confused: It was only about 10-20 ft in the air and was flying the same speed/size of a bird in flapping pattern so not straight or anything. It came from an empty field area with no houses. Im just going to assume it was a large ember from a chimney fire that traveled a very far distance at fast speed lol.
    I wouldn't put that in the same category as the strange sky object Ive seen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I do remember one thing that happened to me.

after a night out, the taxi left me about a mile and a bit from my house. (I live in the donegal countryside btw) Anyway i was on this tree-lined back road that leads to my house, it was pitch black and was fast walking. A few minutes into my walk i have this real sense of someone breathing on my neck and then touching me i turned around and saw nothing but needless to say i ran the rest of the way home.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The only thing that spooked me out majorly was when I used to go for walks up the country roads in the pitch black during winter as a younger teen. Good exercise, anyways. I didn't use a torch because your eyes usually adjust and you can see fine after a while. About 30 mins into my walk I heard the loudest, most high pitched scream I have ever heard, and it lasted for about 30 seconds. I was terrified and nearly shat myself. Turned out it was fox killing a rabbit :rolleyes: well used to the sound now.

I have seen many many strange objects in the skies over the past years though, things that made me a little bit spooked but more interested than anything. Things that I cant identify.
    And before anybody says anything to me, I well know what a chinese lantern looks like. Im highly interested in aviation and can tell what a plane/helicopter looks like, I can name the model and type on a whim. Im also interested in Astronomy so I know what most of the things that we can see up there are. There is just no explaining what these things are, my friend has seen many of the same things as I and even more too. of course everyone is going to suggest the most simple things and doubt me though:rolleyes:

One recent thing I saw that was weird was about March this year, driving home from town one evening with my dad and what appeared to be a bird on fire was flying over the road. :confused: It was only about 10-20 ft in the air and was flying the same speed/size of a bird in flapping pattern so not straight or anything. It came from an empty field area with no houses. Im just going to assume it was a large ember from a chimney fire that traveled a very far distance at fast speed lol.
    I wouldn't put that in the same category as the strange sky object Ive seen though.

One night myself and my two best friends were walkin along a country road in the middle of the night. Its was a dark night with no moon but it was very starry that night ! We were chatting away walking down the road and next thing we noticed our shadows growing, i looked up and i could see my friends as clear as day because there was this huge bright light in the sky! we stoped walkin and looked at this light! It was silent and it wasnt a plane or search and rescue hellicopter, it was to high ! It was such a bright light, it compleatly lit up the road much brighter than a full moon almost like i giant flood light like you see over pitches , but it was really high up!, we stood staring at it and it then began to fade and disapear and it was suddenly pitch black again!! We all were pretty shocked and all said we had never seen or heard of anything like it before ! Ive never seen anything like it since and we often mention it even now and all agree its still as mysterious as ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Locker10a wrote: »
    One night myself and my two best friends were walkin along a country road in the middle of the night. Its was a dark night with no moon but it was very starry that night ! We were chatting away walking down the road and next thing we noticed our shadows growing, i looked up and i could see my friends as clear as day because there was this huge bright light in the sky! we stoped walkin and looked at this light! It was silent and it wasnt a plane or search and rescue hellicopter, it was to high ! It was such a bright light, it compleatly lit up the road much brighter than a full moon almost like i giant flood light like you see over pitches , but it was really high up!, we stood staring at it and it then began to fade and disapear and it was suddenly pitch black again!! We all were pretty shocked and all said we had never seen or heard of anything like it before ! Ive never seen anything like it since and we often mention it even now and all agree its still as mysterious as ever !
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/small/000/158/329/9189283.jpg?1312526309

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

Once I saw a blimp!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

ballsacky wrote: »
    Once I saw a blimp!

Was it a ghost blimp or a blimp that harboured serial killers and criminally insane?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 el amor

....... waking up first ting nd seeing a bare arse crack in my face

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Nolanger wrote: »
    Went to a job interview for AIB in the Burlington Hotel one morning. The woman at reception said there were no interviews on and the Garda were doing some work upstairs. As I left some guy walked up to me and said don't mind what she said and he brought me upstairs. Went into the waiting room and there were about ten people sitting there. About one minute later a man entered and called my name. Thought it was strange that I got called first. Went into the interview and got asked really strange questions e.g. am I on medication? Was not asked anything about the AIB job. Left the interview and was given wrong directions to leave the hotel. Never heard anything back from that interview. To this day I don't know why the Garda were checking me out by pretending to interview me for a job in the AIB?
    that is so weird what other questions did they ask ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Nolanger wrote: »
    Went to a job interview for AIB in the Burlington Hotel one morning. The woman at reception said there were no interviews on and the Garda were doing some work upstairs. As I left some guy walked up to me and said don't mind what she said and he brought me upstairs. Went into the waiting room and there were about ten people sitting there. About one minute later a man entered and called my name. Thought it was strange that I got called first. Went into the interview and got asked really strange questions e.g. am I on medication? Was not asked anything about the AIB job. Left the interview and was given wrong directions to leave the hotel. Never heard anything back from that interview. To this day I don't know why the Garda were checking me out by pretending to interview me for a job in the AIB?

That was an interview for the Irish secret service. Are you a computer programmer or very techy who is also very fit by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I do remember one thing that happened to me.

after a night out, the taxi left me about a mile and a bit from my house. (I live in the donegal countryside btw)

You cheapskate, why didn't you get the taxi to bring you all the way home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    wtf wonder what the crac is with this? cud always been a group of mates but youd have to be have some collection of losers to do somethin like that.

I don't no who they were, God I actually wish I hadn't brought it up again! ****tin it!

Did she have a nice rack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've had a fair few spooky stuff happen to me through the years but this was recent:

I had a dream the other night that I was in the girlfriend's house and the movie Sexy Beast came on the TV, had no significance to the dream whatsoever. Just had the start of the movie with Ray Winstone sitting in his pool.

I haven't seen this movie in about 2 years so it appearing in my dream made no sense and had no value to me.

Until later that day when a mate called over for me to fix his machine and mentions "I watched this movie called Sexy Beast last night, you ever see it?"

I honestly replied to him with: "Oh yea, that was on TV last night, wasn't it?"

Him: "No, no. I downloaded it for the craìc when I was looking up gangster movies to watch."

I don't believe in supernatural or dream-future-telling-stuff but I found that pretty funny and coincidental.

funny that, I thought your night with your housemate trying to murder you would be up there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

During the winter of last year, I got a taxi home from town at 4am but I only had 10 euro's and the taxi man through me out on the Rock road.....just where he through me out a guy in a black trench coat around 80 years old just came around the corner as you go up the Mount merrion aveto the N11 So we walked together and chatted.

I wasn't even that drunk but this guy spoke like a wise man. the stuff he was saying blew my mind..All about materialism...when we got to the top of Mount merrion ....we said good bye to each other I was going Left towards stillorgan , and he began walking right towards UCD ...within 2 seconds I turned around to look (as you do!) behind me to see him walking and the ****er has vashed out of tin air:eek:....I was like he must have fallen over or he is pissing (Not possible with the time frame).

So I turned around and walked towards his direction .....Not a sign of him anywhere ...I was ****ting it....so I was like I'm going the **** home ...No cars around or anything...I could not run with the snow or ice.....just as I'm about to walk back towards the direction I live...I see a piece of paper on the ground ....there wasnt a thing on the paper and It was dry even though it was in the snow.

I always wonder did the piece of paper mean you cant bring anything with you when you die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Rushing into a portoloo toilet last summer droping an almighty load and realising there was no jacks paper, to make matters worse i was wearing flip flops 'no socks' and i hadnt any boxers under my shorts..........

Hope whoever picked up the arsenal jersey gave it a good home

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Used to go to a neighbours field to get conkers when I was young, I must have been about 7 or 8, very young anyway. The neighbour had a friendly labrador, lovely dog that would be round the roads and would chew the conkers, hang round when we were playing etc (I lived in the country). Where the tree was, nearby there was these old delapitated small buildings, not much bigger than a shed, if you're from a relatively rural area I'm sure you know the kind, hole in the roof, metal sheeting instead of a door, ancient bricks, probably an old cottage from years ago or something.

This was during the evening, not dark yet or anything. I decided, hey, I'll check this out(I was on my own this day on the bike). So went down to one of the small buildings, pushed the metal sheeting out of the way and entered very slowly. Ivy and grass and that was coming down from the roof all over the place, had to go through light enough lengths of ivy to go through the door.

Despite it being bright outside, the place was pitch dark, the hole in the roof had been covered by the overgrowth of plants. I walked in slowly, couldn't see anything apart from darkness, the old walls, leaves on the ground, ivy...then I looked over to the right, saw a bright colour and saw a slight glistening thing (IIRC). The neighbours dog, which I had seen the other day, was lying with dead its eyes wide open...don't think I've ever been as scared since, ran outside and went home as fast as I could. Turns out the poor dog had been poisoned and I was the one to find 'em, he must have been rooting around in there a while after taking the poison.

As another person said, I've had that experience with the cat. Mid dream and the cat jumps off the window sill on to me and scares the crap out of me.

One final one aswell. Had a bad nightmare, scared me no end, and then I woke up frightened, but relieved to be awake. Sat up, and was like WTF? where the **** am I? Pitch dark (as my bedroom would be at night), but I was not in bed, I was moving my arms about feeling for the familiarity of the wall which my bed is against. Not there. I was sitting, my back against a wall. Got up to where my bedroom door would be I thought, was absolutely ****ting it, didn't know what was happening. Turns out I had a bout of sleepwalking, which I never do, went into another bedroom in the house where someone else was sleeping and went under the blanket across the end of the bed and curled up. When I woke up I was totally disorientated in the dark, hitting off stuff, panicing. Looking back now, would have been scarier for the other person if they had woken up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

A simple but scary one is when I came home from school a few years ago with my Dad when he was just finished work as well. House had been empty all day as my sister was at school as well and my mother was off somewhere (can't remember where). Went up to my room, and my DJ rig was on my bed. Two big large heavy speakers just propped up on my bed. I assumed my mother had put them up there while hoovering or something, but she had left before I had that morning! I asked all my family and they all swore they hadn't. I am an atheist, but I keep a crucifix my granny gave me in my bedroom, as whenever I remove it and give it to my mother, something happens. Based on my experiences, I would actually guess that I am 'haunted', even though that my logical mind says that this is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

bump - one of the most enjoyable threads I've read

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

two lads i know driving home along the big long road into kilternan(you know the 1 from shankill?) at about 1am in the morning, anyway so they're driving when what do they see but a giant women in all white just literally taking big strides down the road, the way they described it was as if the walk was a joke just over the top and exagerrated. none of them said anything then bout 2 mins later they both look at each other and were like 'did you see that ye' kept driving and that was that

why do ghosts seem to come in oversized form?

How tall dya know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Giselle wrote: »
    I get night terrors combined with sleepwalking, where I wake up convinced I'm warding off an attacker, or there's an alien under the bed, or a monster in the wardrobe...anything really.

I'm convinced I'm fully awake and its actually happening. Its a horrible experience, especially when its some nightmare demon and you wake up in the living room with your heart exploding out your chest. :(

Take LSD before you go to bed, they'll cancel each other out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

pokertalk wrote: »
    that is so weird what other questions did they ask ya?
    They also asked me some personal questions about my family. I did the AIB graduate exam and then did this 'interview'. I don't mind playing along and wasting their time but thought it strange that the Garda go to this effort to investigate me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

yeah sleep paralysis is incredibly unsettling the first time, its like you are in a nightmare but awake

Advertisement