Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Sent by God"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

old hippy wrote: »
    We need an irony smiley

Oh for :rolleyes: sake what :rolleyes: do you :rolleyes: need one of :rolleyes: for? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So four of them are sent by god, is this a logistical error on his behalf or are they just seen how well it done for bush jr when he said he was fighting for god.

None of them have a snowballs chance in hell anyway, theres been too many mistakes on each of their behalfs too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Personally, I'd have to say that the average display of how much you love Jesus at every presidential election is in America unwarranted. Before people start off saying that this is a Republican only thing, I explicitly remember at the CNN 2008 Democratic primary debate that the candidates were asked about their faith. All of them Obama included started saying about how much Jesus Christ meant in his life.

Unless there is sound basis to think that this is so, I don't see what potential impact this should have. Or indeed, what will this faith mean for their presidency. Does it mean that they are going to have the grace to respect other minorities in the larger society, and show the compassion of Christ in terms of influencing welfare to those who need it most? Or is it just a common tag that people associate themselves with to garner larger support.

Arguably Sweden's response to social welfare is more Christian than anything we've ever seen out of America.

In America's case it seems to be the latter, rather than the former which was demonstrated by people like William Wilberforce.

The legislation system should be never about enforcing Christianity over all other systems of thought. It should be about presenting ideas and potential solutions to be decided upon by merit. If a devout Muslim politician brings some legislation that makes good sense by merit, I see no reason why we should object to it just because he brought it forward by the inspiration of his faith. Likewise with Jews, Christians, Hindu's, Sikhs and so on. It is when people aim to have one faith domineer over politics that there is a problem. This is what we mean by a secular government. A government that gives no more basis to anyone because his holy book happens to argue for something, but rather a Government that treats all faith and none on an equitable basis and focuses instead on the merit of ideas rather than their origins.

As such people need to argue on the basis of merit rather than on the basis of the Qur'an, the Torah, the Vedas or the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

cml387 wrote: »
    Because claiming to be "Sent by the devil" would not be a vote winner.
    No. But it would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

philologos wrote: »
    This is what we mean by a secular government. A government that gives no more basis to anyone because his holy book happens to argue for something, but rather a Government that treats all faith and none on an equitable basis and focuses instead on the merit of ideas rather than their origins.

Couldn't agree more. There seems to be a tendency, which occurs especially in American politics, to equate secularism to some sort of vague evil, that I really have to question if they even understand the term.

Quote by one of the GOP candidates, Newt Gingrich:
    I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they’re my age [his grandkids] they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Knasher wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. There seems to be a tendency, which occurs especially in American politics, to equate secularism to some sort of vague evil, that I really have to question if they even understand the term.

The irony of Gingrich's comment "no understanding of what it once meant to be an American"

I bet there's laughter in the Indian Nations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The hilarious thing is that they probably think they are being humble by saying the big man sent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Knasher wrote: »
    I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they’re my age [his grandkids] they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American.

So many non-sequiturs I may just piss myself :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Saw this & thought of this thread.

http://cdn.front.moveon.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/gods-message-MAIN.jpg

... moving on.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sent by big business more like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

philologos wrote: »
    Unless there is sound basis to think that this is so, I don't see what potential impact this should have. Or indeed, what will this faith mean for their presidency.

<snip>

a Government that treats all faith and none on an equitable basis and focuses instead on the merit of ideas rather than their origins.

You answer your own questions but alas it is not an answer that the majority of the american public appears to be aware of.

Given the lack of any credence to the idea there even is a god, what their faith tells me is that they are willing to accept things, and even act on things on little.... or in this case literally no.... evidence.

That is not exactly what we should be looking for in people attaining positions of extreme power. Alas that is exactly what the american public seems to want. This is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On the subject of "Sent by God" my little grandson today asked me this question that stumped me for awhile --- "Who changed Adam and Eve's nappies when they were young ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

On the subject of "Sent by God" my little grandson today asked me this question that stumped me for awhile --- "Who changed Adam and Eve's nappies when they were young ?"

Prior to its punishment the snake was quite the handy man around the garden/house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

No one, they were formed as fully fledged adults.

Apparently.

Hardly a difficult question.

No one, they were formed as fully fledged adults.

Apparently.

Hardly a difficult question.

Even so they would still require a learning period, surely they were just adult cretins for 17-18 years and certainly shyting themselves in the first three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

RichieC wrote: »
    Even so they would still require a learning period, surely they were just adult cretins for 17-18 years and certainly shyting themselves in the first three.

No they wouldn't.

If God can make a whole universe in a week i'm sure he could make a fully dysfunctional adult in less time than it takes me to have a danger ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RichieC wrote: »

Maybe they were Pampered too much !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I'd laugh in their face.

No they wouldn't.

If God can make a whole universe in a week i'm sure he could make a fully dysfunctional adult in less time than it takes me to have a danger ****.

If they are magic then we are all magic! where's my wizard cape and web of holding spells?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There is that "oldest joke in the world" when adam says to eve.... "stand back honey, I am not sure how big this is going to get....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

They have a lot of faith in this god of theirs but he obviously has little faith in them - sending four of them into an election where only one can win.

I'm picturing the XFactor stage with god, jesus and the holy ghost as judges...there can only be one winner and I hear Romney can do a mean Dana impression.

Advertisement