Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 JB1988

there wont be a backrow who will compete with us in this six nations, gilly and conny on the flanks its gonna be devastation on the field 2 big fellas that love the physical element of it especially gilly, looking forward to friday night!!! bring on a full weekend of wins over the welsh

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

F horan is supposed to be the business.. playing for lansdowne AIL straight outta school.. a mate playing for em said he made b macken look like a chum recently when they hammered blackrock.

Does anyway know when furlong is due back from injury? big loss, especially away to fra n eng

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

Interesting front row without merry starting and furlong still injured. Furlongs first game I hear will be at the start of march so he won't be back for 6N but will be available for JWC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

JB1988 wrote: »
    there wont be a backrow who will compete with us in this six nations, gilly and conny on the flanks its gonna be devastation on the field 2 big fellas that love the physical element of it especially gilly, looking forward to friday night!!! bring on a full weekend of wins over the welsh

I hope you're right but realistically none of us have a clue about how strong the other teams will be.(although I bet England will be a gang of monsters :()

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

England will be all fully developed in terms of size. The Irish pack will be up against it. The French will too although the English are usually a bit bigger.

The Welsh teams are usually bigger than the Irish too. They have a different academy system where they start younger so they would be ahead of Ireland in the development stakes too.

Actually Italy might also, not sure about them. The Scots are usually about the same as Ireland in terms of size.

The props and Paddy Jackson are key men for Ireland. I think Jackson will be better than last season. He has some experience now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

profitius wrote: »
    England will be all fully developed in terms of size. The Irish pack will be up against it. The French will too although the English are usually a bit bigger.

The Welsh teams are usually bigger than the Irish too. They have a different academy system where they start younger so they would be ahead of Ireland in the development stakes too.

Actually Italy might also, not sure about them. The Scots are usually about the same as Ireland in terms of size.

The props and Paddy Jackson are key men for Ireland. I think Jackson will be better than last season. He has some experience now.

Skill, not size wins Rugby matches ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Whats peoples opinion of Marmion too? i believe he is orginally welsh and moved to connacht academy last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

liam12989 wrote: »
    Whats peoples opinion of Marmion too? i believe he is orginally welsh and moved to connacht academy last year?

Wasnt very impressive last season but here's a clip from a warmup game against Leinster A's in December.

http://youtu.be/mjISrkj_Cb4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Seams a very Strong Irish team, with a lot back this year - should we win the6 N ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

it this match on tv?

• Advertisement

7.05, live on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

shuffol wrote: »
    7.05, live on RTE 2

nice, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

liam12989 wrote: »

He was with the Connacht academy for awhile last season as well

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Any word on yerman Ian Prendeville.. clongowes TH from a year or 2 ago.. A 20 stone powerhouse who caused havoc at scrumtime and in the loose.. Never seen him in any underage squad.

Also Quirke, the OH, was sensational.. I know there is an abundance of quality in jackson/marsh/hanrahan and more but looked like he could play pretty much anywhere in the backs with his speed and skills.. Forgive the Clongowes bias but they were two players instrumental to Clongowes recent schools domination and no sign in any underage team the whole way up.. Maybe they didn't fancy the pro game?.. any word?

hype101 wrote: »
    Any word on yerman Ian Prendeville.. clongowes TH from a year or 2 ago.. A 20 stone powerhouse who caused havoc at scrumtime and in the loose.. Never seen him in any underage squad.

Also Quirke, the OH, was sensational.. I know there is an abundance of quality in jackson/marsh/hanrahan and more but looked like he could play pretty much anywhere in the backs with his speed and skills.. Forgive the Clongowes bias but they were two players instrumental to Clongowes recent schools domination and no sign in any underage team the whole way up.. Maybe they didn't fancy the pro game?.. any word?

quirke did his ligaments in his knee is the u19 leinster squad, conor gilsenan tackled or something like that so he will be out until next season, might get a academy contract then along with nick mccarthy, the no6 last year who i felt was one of the best players in the senior cup last year

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Got my tickets.
    Bringing the six year old and his friend.

Looking forward to this more than Saturday's :)

Come on Ireland!!!!

quirke did his ligaments in his knee is the u19 leinster squad, conor gilsenan tackled or something like that so he will be out until next season, might get a academy contract then along with nick mccarthy, the no6 last year who i felt was one of the best players in the senior cup last year

Prendeville didn't make it in Leinster 20s last year didnt make it behind furlong and moore and seems to be playing with lansdowne under 21s. Quirke was involved with Leinster 20s this season in the summer and wasn't involved in any of the interpros so presume he's gone? Thinks he's playing with ucd 21s.

easyeas wrote: »
    Prendeville didn't make it in Leinster 20s last year didnt make it behind furlong and moore and seems to be playing with lansdowne under 21s. Quirke was involved with Leinster 20s this season in the summer and wasn't involved in any of the interpros so presume he's gone? Thinks he's playing with ucd 21s.

as i said he did his ligaments he is not playing at all at the moment

easyeas wrote: »

as i said he did his ligaments he is not playing at all at the moment

From what I've seen he's playing every week for ucd 21s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I'd reckon Finn, Boland & Leader must be gutted

Its interesting that Connacht won the interpros and have 4 players to Leinsters 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Its interesting that Connacht won the interpros and have 4 players to Leinsters 12.

That it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I wouldn't read too much into it. These teams change significantly through the course of the tournament. The Connacht representation is surprisingly low but I expect them to have one or two more regulars in a few weeks as the fat is trimmed.

GerM wrote: »

I wouldn't read too much into it. These teams change significantly through the course of the tournament. The Connacht representation is surprisingly low but I expect them to have one or two more regulars in a few weeks as the fat is trimmed.

To be honest I dunno if any of the other Connacht players are good enough to be in the squad apart from Finn and Carty

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

just incase it not already posted this game will be on bbc red button tomorrow.

just seen the wales props stats. jeez der big lumps. anyone know what our props are like or should i dare ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Wales Under 20s
    15 Ross Jones
    14 Iolo Evans
    13 Nathan Edwards
    12 Cory Allen
    11 Luke Morgan
    10 Sam Davies
    9 Jonathan Evans
    1 Rob Evans
    2 Kirby Myhill
    3 WillGriff John
    4 Matthew Screech
    5 Rhodri Hughes
    6 Ellis Jenkins
    7 Daniel Thomas
    8 Reuben Thomas

Substitutes
    16 Jamie Sollis
    17 Thomas Davies
    18 Dan Suter
    19 Dan Crimmins
    20 Ieuan Jones
    21 Joshua Davies
    22 Lewis Williams
    23 Luke Williams

Interestingly, Wales full back Ross Jones went to Castleknock College after growing up in Wales. Was offered a sub-academy deal by Leinster or a three year development contract with the Ospreys so no surprise that he choice to return to his homeland. I believe he was in the same year in school as Ireland tighthead Peter Reilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Looking forward to seeing Qualter and Henderson. They were both very decent last year and hopefully they will have improved a good bit. We can never have enough 2nd rows.

A few of the Connacht lads such as Finn, Leader, Carty and Kindregan are certainly hard done by but I would still expect to see them involved in some of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A welsh guy at work is saying Dan Thomas is one of the best Welsh back row prospects in a looong time.

A welsh guy at work is saying Dan Thomas is one of the best Welsh back row prospects in a looong time.

Eh? another top Welsh 7, do they mine them over there or what? One thing about this years crop is that it contains good quality in positions we're not overly stocked with. There's 2 very promising 2nd rows(although that crisis has abated somewhat), a couple of highly rated no.7s, lots of 12s available(Hanrahan, Farrell, Leader) and a fair few fullbacks too(Leyden, Nelson, Sherlock).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

shuffol wrote: »

Eh? another top Welsh 7, do they mine them over there or what? One thing about this years crop is that it contains good quality in positions we're not overly stocked with. There's 2 very promising 2nd rows(although that crisis has abated somewhat), a couple of highly rated no.7s, lots of 12s available(Hanrahan, Farrell, Leader) and a fair few fullbacks too(Leyden, Nelson, Sherlock).
    Ive also heard that Thomas has been approached by Irish teams (Leinster academy) but I'm not sure if he can be elligible for the national team so the move could be blocked... Not sure what the deal is with Wales u20 and international elligibiliy any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

just incase it not already posted this game will be on bbc red button tomorrow
    And 19.00 on RTE Two.

Advertisement