Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

boynesider wrote: »
    I thought Jordan Coughlan was supposed to be a top prospect as well but none of you seem to have him in your teams? Have heard a lot about him but maybe he's still a bit young yet
    Second best backrower at his school last year. Probably shouldn't have made the leinster academy this year imo (should have gone subacademy) but made the academy cause Leinster wanted to keep him away from pro cricket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I thought Jordan Coughlan was supposed to be a top prospect as well but none of you seem to have him in your teams? Have heard a lot about him but maybe he's still a bit young yet

He's a great prospect. This side is very much an experimental one. Conneely is in his second year with the side so is a year further down the line with respect to physical development which is massive in comparison to someone who is only out of school. Coughlan's time will come. His main competition is in the form of Jack Conan who is another quality No. 8.

My main wish for rugby is that Conan one day plays for the Barbarians simply for pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

GerM wrote: »
    He's a great prospect. This side is very much an experimental one. Conneely is in his second year with the side so is a year further down the line with respect to physical development which is massive in comparison to someone who is only out of school. Coughlan's time will come. His main competition is in the form of Jack Conan who is another quality No. 8.

My main wish for rugby is that Conan one day plays for the Barbarians simply for pun.

Pretty sure Coughlan turned 19 last autumn sometime so he is fairly old for his first year out of school and not sure he would be too far behind in the physical development stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Michael Sherlock broke a finger playing for clontarf against shannon a few weeks back, Tadhg Furlong has been out since the summer, not sure when he's due back. Watched Des Merry propping for Clontarf against Cork Con who had Archer and Dev prop John Ryan, he held his own for about 50 mins then tired, great future ahead for him, big unit.

Great to see the number of Connacht players in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

ormond lad wrote: »
    Three Munster Players Named In Ireland U20 Squad
    21 December 2011, 4:53 pm
    By The Editor

The Ireland Under 20 team to take on a Leinster development side tomorrow, 22nd December at 2.00pm in Donnybrook has been named.

Two Munster players will feature on the first XV with James Rael, Garryowen F.C., named in the hooker position and fellow club player Shane Buckley starting in the back row. Dolphin’s Niall Scannell has been named in the replacements.

Munster's contribution is a hooker and a lock/6. It seems like these are the only positions we produce these days. Well, scrumhalf as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Peter Nelson from Ulster has been scoring regularly in the B&I cup of late, meant to be a great prospect too, talk of him maybe getting a run for the full side over christmas. Looking forward to seeing the half back pairing, could be the first time in years we've had a half decent scrumhalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Promademad

As far as I know both furlong and Sherlock will miss the 6n!!! Sherlock under went surgery on his finger and furlong got shoulder surgery after the world cup last year!!! Apparently he played the full world cup with a goosed shoulder and had to take pain killers threw out !!! Fairly impressive seeing as he was one of Irelands best players over in Italy!!! Jackson got stretched off during ulsters last game with what looked to be a serious injury and Ian Henderson picked up a serious leg injury against Leinster a at the start of the year!!! It will be tough missing such experienced players during the 6n especially furlong as it seems to be a real lack of front row players in this squad!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

yeh, what he said!!!

Promademad wrote: »
    As far as I know both furlong and Sherlock will miss the 6n!!! Sherlock under went surgery on his finger and furlong got shoulder surgery after the world cup last year!!! Apparently he played the full world cup with a goosed shoulder and had to take pain killers threw out !!! Fairly impressive seeing as he was one of Irelands best players over in Italy!!! Jackson got stretched off during ulsters last game with what looked to be a serious injury and Ian Henderson picked up a serious leg injury against Leinster a at the start of the year!!! It will be tough missing such experienced players during the 6n especially furlong as it seems to be a real lack of front row players in this squad!!'

Apparently Jacksons injury isnt as bad as first feared and he still hasnt been ruled out of Ulsters game with Leinster on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

shuffol wrote: »
    Peter Nelson from Ulster has been scoring regularly in the B&I cup of late, meant to be a great prospect too, talk of him maybe getting a run for the full side over christmas. Looking forward to seeing the half back pairing, could be the first time in years we've had a half decent scrumhalf.

Pity they signed Terblanche, he may have got a run at some stage otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Anybody got a score from the match today. KO 2.00pm how did it go.

amtw wrote: »
    Anybody got a score from the match today. KO 2.00pm how did it go.

40 - 15 to u-20s
    Ireland captain Conor Gilsenan started off proceedings with a 2nd minute try, converted by the impressive Cathal Marsh, to get proceedings underway before Marsh then converted his own try nine minutes later to assert an early spell of pressure by Ireland.
    Leading 14-0 Mike Ruddock’s side looked potent but gradually Leinster clawed their way back into the game and were rewarded with a Jack O’Connell try on 25 minutes.

But as the half wore on Ireland began to threaten once more and their centre Barry Daly took a wonderfully weighted Marsh pass to race clear to score into the Bective end of the ground, with out-half Marsh converting, to make it 21-5 at the interval.

A raft of substitutions on both sides at half time gave opportunities to virtually two new teams and the break had the desired effect for Leinster with first hooker David Doyle (45 mins) and then Darren Hudson (50) – who did superbly well to keep the ball alive firstly and then capitalise on a kick and chase – to make it 21-15.

But the recovery was short-lived and Ireland scored tries late on from Jack Carty (64), an intercept Jack Conan effort – both converted by sub Carty – and finally the electric Kieran Marmion to round off a fine win.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Ta

Gilsenan taken off injured after 10 minutes. Gah. All action openside with great leadership; I really hope he doesn't go the way of Paul Ryan and David Pollock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Great to see the amount of Connacht lads included.
    I'm saying it now - Layden to be star of the team, unbelievable prospect

GerM wrote: »
    Gilsenan taken off injured after 10 minutes. Gah. All action openside with great leadership; I really hope he doesn't go the way of Paul Ryan and David Pollock.

Was Paul Ryan ever any good, never impressed me whenever I've seen him. Pollock unfortunately had limitless potential as a 7. Looking forward to seeing Gilsenan now, does he play AIL?

Thats a pretty impressive victory for the u-20s btw, lot of B&I cup players and ex Irish u-20s in the Leinster side.

shuffol wrote: »
    Was Paul Ryan ever any good, never impressed me whenever I've seen him. Pollock unfortunately had limitless potential as a 7. Looking forward to seeing Gilsenan now, does he play AIL?

I thought Ryan was very good as an out and out openside but possibly underpowered for the professional game. He was excellent at underage and marked for big things. Captained Ireland throughout the underage set ups. With that said, due to injury, he never had an opportunity to bulk up over any period. His injury record was abysmal. He seemed to suffer an injury every single time he took to the field as a senior. His career followed a very, very similar path to Pollock except Ryan never even managed to get fit enough to get a run of games under his belt for the Leinster senior side. Both great opensides, both leaders, captains throughout their careers.

Gilsenan is following an identical path thus far. He's with UCD but I'm not sure he has made an appearance for their AIL side. He has been playing a lot with representative sides so wouldn't have been about for many UCD games. Has 3 caps for Leinster's A side, a few appearances for Leinster's U20 side and has been with Irish U20 side now too. Hopefully this injury is very minor and he'll be back 100% ahead of the U20 6N training camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It's very much a trial U20s team. Don't think the starting team in Feb will look much like that.

is that like a leinster U 21 team ? , some of the subs i would have thought would be starting , if picked on merit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ireland U19 Training Squad Named

23 December 2011, 10:56 am
    By Editor

Ireland U-19 Coach Colin McEntee has named a 32 man squad for a training camp to take place on December 28th and 29th.

The squad is essentially an U-20 Development squad and the two day camp will bring the players together under McEntee and Assistant Coach Nigel Carolan.

Ireland U-19 Training Squad
    Edward Byrne - Clongowes College
    Bryan Byrne - Clongowes College
    James Connolly - Newbridge
    Jamie Dever - Westport Rice College
    Barry Digby - Marist
    Ultan Dillane - Tralee
    Tom Farrell - Castleknock College
    Brian Haugh - Young Munster
    Robert Henshaw - Marist
    Niall Horan - Bohemians
    Conor Joyce - Malone
    Donagh Lawler - St. Micheals College
    Darragh Leader - Galwegians
    Eoghan Masterson - Clontarf
    Max McFarland - Clongowes College
    Harry McNulty - Dublin University
    Michael Mellet - Castleknock College
    Kenneth Murphy - Pres Bray
    Stuart Olding - Belfast Harlequins
    Matthew Rea - Ballymena Academy
    Mark Roche - Landsdowne
    Rory Scholes - Belfast Harlequins
    Christopher Taylor - Malone RFC
    Gavin Thornbury - Blackrock College
    Josh Van Der Flier - UCD
    John Andrew - Ballymena
    Steven Crosbie - Old Belvedere
    David Panter - Corinthians
    John Donnan - Ballynahinch
    Jerry Sexton - St. Mary's
    Ryan Murphy - Dolphin
    Jack Fitzpatrick - Gonzaga College

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/25152.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aboyfcukugly

tadgh leader , conor finn and shane layden are all CCR schools players from last year are they? along with teirnan o halloran aswell that school seems to be making a name for itself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

tadgh leader , conor finn and shane layden are all CCR schools players from last year are they? along with teirnan o halloran aswell that school seems to be making a name for itself!!

And as well as that they all played for Leinster Schools. Connacht lads, playing in Munster for Leinster.

Products of the Connacht Academy first and foremost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

And as well as that they all played for Leinster Schools. Connacht lads, playing in Munster for Leinster.
    Finn played for leinster u18s, Leader and Layden played for connacht u18s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Chris Farrell looked very good against Leinster on Monday. He's only 18 and darcy got nothing out of him considering the dominance Leinster had. Peter nelson looked a bit shakier but did a few nice things. They should both be key players for the u20's this year.

Chris Farrell looked very good against Leinster on Monday. He's only 18 and darcy got nothing out of him considering the dominance Leinster had. Peter nelson looked a bit shakier but did a few nice things. They should both be key players for the u20's this year.

That's provided Ulster release them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I wouldn't have Farrell in the Irish U20 squad if there are other options. The U20s should be part of a players development.

Farrell is a big talent though. He could be the ball carrying center Ireland has been looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

profitius wrote: »
    I wouldn't have Farrell in the Irish U20 squad if there are other options. The U20s should be part of a players development.
    Why?

Why?

Maybe the more established young players who are on course to get game-time with their province don't need the exposure of an u-20s tournament, whereas players who missed out on an academy contract or are less established could do with the opportunity to showcase themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Don't think Farrell will be playing for Ulster again this year though. That team seemed like a once off.

Id like to see guys like Olding and Farrell in the 20s team, they're great young players and its important to have 2-year guys in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hagz wrote: »
    Maybe the more established young players who are on course to get game-time with their province don't need the exposure of an u-20s tournament, whereas players who missed out on an academy contract or are less established could do with the opportunity to showcase themselves.

Thats my thoughts too.

I'm not in favour of playing 18 year olds in the U20s IF there are other, older options for the same position. These days theres loads of centers coming through.

Farrell looks like he'll have a good career ahead of him. It should be interesting in Ulster with himself and Luke Marshall fighting for the 12 jersey.

Advertisement