Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird laws

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Sunday Pub hours are daft to say the least, what is so different about Sunday's in our secular state, also why can't I go to the pub on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Reported!

On what ground?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

It is actually illegal for an Irish man to walk around in public shirtless, though you never see that law enacted. Spitting in public is also illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gardai are paid for Hay for their horses should they have to attend Court in the line of duty.

True story !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And all ducks must wear long pants

Read the other one.
    The non-duck one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

deandean wrote: »
    I was told this one by an eminent solicitor a few years back:
    In Ireland you can get arrested for urinating in public.
    However you cannot be arrested for having a crap in public; but you do need to take the end product away with you to avoid a littering offence :eek:

That's complete bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Reloc8 wrote: »
    That's complete bull****.
    I have also heard this, but i heard you can ask a Gardai for his hat to **** in if you need it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    On what ground?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He's a blasphemer. He must be roasted in the fiery pit of Satan's dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Apparently when I cross at a green light at a pedestrian crossing and some d*ckhead in a car tries to speed through and comes screeching to a halt inches in front of me and then honks the horn and gestures as if I'm in the wrong even though it's red for him it's ILLEGAL for me to kick his headlights in.

Stupid laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Tippling Act of 1735 prohibits a publican from pursuing a customer for money owed for any drink given on credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

It is actually illegal for an Irish man to walk around in public shirtless, though you never see that law enacted. Spitting in public is also illegal.

Well if spitting in public is illegal half the GAA players in Ireland should be done

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

Apparently in Ireland, it's still illegal to get an abortion! :eek:

And should stay that way unless the pregnancy was caused by rape any other form of sexual assualt.
    Abortions should not be like a fallback when you just don't want to be pregnant from having unprotected sex.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Apparently it's illegal for a dirty or bent politician to be charged with a crime no matter how dirty they appear.

"I won it on a horse".....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

deandean wrote: »
    I was told this one by an eminent solicitor a few years back:
    In Ireland you can get arrested for urinating in public.
    However you cannot be arrested for having a crap in public; but you do need to take the end product away with you to avoid a littering offence :eek:

Apparently this is true - its something to do with the adverse affect on your health of holding in a number 2!!

4leto wrote: »
    Sunday Pub hours are daft to say the least, what is so different about Sunday's in our secular state, also why can't I go to the pub on Good Friday.

This was almost changed about 5 or 6 years ago. The pub owners objected on the grounds that they only get 2 days off a year and thats one of them (Christmas day is the other) and the vintners association went mad cuz holy thursday is their busiest day of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

One of the funniest things is people think the Gardai deal with noise polution or loud parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

Saw something from one of the people I follow on twitter this morning, he was saying that it's illegal to get a Vasectomy or have IVF treatment in Poland.

Urban legends :)
    One of my friends in Poland had Vasectomy with no any formal problems and there is a lot of officially working clinic doing IVF treatment (as for example: www.invicta.pl/58/zaplodnienie_in_vitro.html ). Actually there is a Medical University ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_University_of_Białystok ) where they do this treatment since 1987.

But we have in Poland "strange" low - for example there is forbidden to publish in newspapers names and addresses of small law offenders as is popular in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

biko wrote: »
    The Tippling Act of 1735 prohibits a publican from pursuing a customer for money owed for any drink given on credit.

This needs an awesome law thread, I'm out to convince barmen to spot me! :D
    shannie wrote: »
    And should stay that way unless the pregnancy was caused by rape any other form of sexual assualt.
    Abortions should not be like a fallback when you just don't want to be pregnant from having unprotected sex.

:pac:

Oh fcuk off with that shit, plenty of valid reasons an abortion might be required, but none should be needed except the desire to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 johnwatt

In Nottingham in nottingham you are allowed to kill a welsh man if he is standing in the city centre at 12PM (or AM) with a bow an arrow (apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's illegal to kill scum who break into your house/business, mug you, or assault you/your family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mikemac wrote: »
    Gardaí pass an Irish test, well they used to a few years ago anyway
    So do solicitors and so the judge did one too long ago

Yet if I go to court and want to have my case in Irish they won't do it

Yeah you'll say so what and you're just being awkward.
    But it's a strange one.
    If it's what you speak at home and you're in court on a serious charge and facing prison maybe you'd be more comfortable with your case in Irish

What about the Jury? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We had a witchcraft law for a long time that was only quashed in 2006. It basically said that if anyone practiced witchcraft or pretend to practice witchcraft shall be imprisoned for 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

johnwatt wrote: »
    In Nottingham in nottingham you are allowed to kill a welsh man if he is standing in the city centre at 12PM (or AM) with a bow an arrow (apparently)
    The law was repealed quite recently. I think it was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Cornwall and a yorkshire man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

foxyboxer wrote: »
    According to the town charter of Springfield the town constable gets a pig
    every month and two comely lasses of virtue true.

I take it thats not Springfield Tallaght. I'd say you would be hard pressed to find a comely lass with virtue true intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

k4kate wrote: »
    Well if spitting in public is illegal half the GAA players in Ireland should be done

Obviously dont play any sports then. Its not just GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

k4kate wrote: »

...most GAA pitches are private property

also...apparently, if you're from Trinity, you are allowed to wear a suit of armour and wield a sword.

up until 2006 no jew was allowed to own armour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Some plants are illegal and will land you in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It is legal for an Englishman to kill a Welshman on the walls of Chester, at 2am, with a bow and arrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Oranage2 wrote: »
    One of the funniest things is people think the Gardai deal with noise polution or loud parties.
    there was something about this in the last year or 2, that Gardai were being given powers to deal with this.
    Im on d fone, so not going looking for links, maybe later,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's illegal to kill scum who break into your house/business, mug you, or assault you/your family.

But it's not illegal to shoot an unarmed traveller in the back & kill him as he's walking away from you.

In fact, it's hardly even frowned upon.

Advertisement