Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird laws

Options
  • 17-10-2011 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Saw something from one of the people I follow on twitter this morning, he was saying that it's illegal to get a Vasectomy or have IVF treatment in Poland.
    I once heard that it's illegal to get a fish drunk in an American state too, but I don't remember which one.
    Does Ireland have any weird laws like these and are there any other weird ones you've heard of?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

That only the Queen of England may eat swan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Think Bono is allowed to graze cattle on Stephen Green maybe :)

There is also a law that if the son of a former TD stands for election that if you previously voted for his father you are automatically obliged to vote for the son. At least I presume thats why they all get elected :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

In Georgia, America you are only allowed have sex whilst married and only in the missionary position :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

In Ireland you are allowed to rape children and pay off their families with church and state money. Also steal millions from the banks and the state will also cover you. Sounds great :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

KTRIC wrote: »
    In Ireland you are allowed to rape children and pay off their families with church and state money. Also steal millions from the banks and the state will also cover you. Sounds great :rolleyes:

surprised it took 5 posts.

• Advertisement

According to the town charter of Springfield the town constable gets a pig
    every month and two comely lasses of virtue true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Apparently in Ireland, it's still illegal to get an abortion! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

foxyboxer wrote: »

and the braking of prohibition is punishable by catapult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think one of the worst results of the recession is that every thread has to have one post on the first page somehow finding a way to have a dig at "the bankers", "Bertie" or "Fianna Fail"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I find it crazy that in some places, a woman can kill a mans unborn child, even if he's against the idea :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

condoms were illegal here unless gotten in a chemists until 1990 for fcuk sake, we've a lot of catching up to do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think one of the worst results of the recessionFianna Fáil and Bertie's reign of terror is that every thread has to have one post on the first page somehow finding a way to have a dig at "the bankers", "Bertie" or "Fianna Fail"

FYP.

discus wrote: »
    I find it crazy that in some places, a woman can kill a mans unborn child, even if he's against the idea :eek:

I'm not going to go off topic and get into an abortion debate, but I think it should always be an option, though ideally I'd prefer if both father and mother were involved in the decision, whenever that would be feasible (ie. they're in a relationship, it was consensual sex etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I'm not going to go off topic and get into an abortion debate, but I think it should always be an option, though ideally I'd prefer if both father and mother were involved in the decision, whenever that would be feasible (ie. they're in a relationship, it was consensual sex etc.).

Then why the hell did you just do it????

I think one of the worst results of the recession is that every thread has to have one post on the first page somehow finding a way to have a dig at "the bankers", "Bertie" or "Fianna Fail"

All the boardsies, thy will to fret.
    Of bankers, bertie et al lest we forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Closing off licences a 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

discus wrote: »

The Terminator Act of 2284 states and I quote

"If an unwanted pregnancy was conceived and due to that the fact that abortion was illegal up until 2284, a parent may, if so desirable, hire a T-2000 Terminator to go back in time and kill the child before it was conceived due to the inadequacy of the prevailing laws at the time"

Then why the hell did you just do it????

That post's my final say on the matter.

To make up for it, here's another weird law:

Here, apparently, is a genuine Irish law:

"Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behaviour."

blasphemy law. Aparantely you cant say moses was a wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A girl and a lad can have underage sex but only the lad is guilty,
    And the lads life may be ruined and he'd be put on a sex offenders register

Yet the girl may have been older then him

Fookin Romeo and Juliet law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

foxyboxer wrote: »

And all ducks must wear long pants

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

As far as I can remember there is a law stating that any politician going to or from the Dail must not be stopped and get to their appointment by any means necessary.

A garda Told me that, he can do a hit and run if he is late!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I was told this one by an eminent solicitor a few years back:
    In Ireland you can get arrested for urinating in public.
    However you cannot be arrested for having a crap in public; but you do need to take the end product away with you to avoid a littering offence :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gardaí pass an Irish test, well they used to a few years ago anyway
    So do solicitors and so the judge did one too long ago

Yet if I go to court and want to have my case in Irish they won't do it

Yeah you'll say so what and you're just being awkward.
    But it's a strange one.
    If it's what you speak at home and you're in court on a serious charge and facing prison maybe you'd be more comfortable with your case in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

blasphemy law. Apparently you can't say moses was a wanker

No, it is not a valid term. The correct word is "onanist".:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Here's a law that OUGHT to be on the statute books, but - weirdly - isn't: :D

Now that they have changed the law so that judges no longer need wear white horsehair wigs (tailor-made in London at €2,200 a pop), they should be required to wear orange big-hair wigs, large bulbous red noses, funny checquered pants and jackets and long floppy shoes (bicycle horns on their belt would be optional) so that their attire reflects many of the decisions they make.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

blasphemy law. Aparantely you cant say moses was a wanker

Reported!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

KTRIC wrote: »

sounds great to rape children !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

And long may it continue...

Should never be forgot ,

• Advertisement

Reported!

theyll never catch me aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

Advertisement