Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Cold Front - 17th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

First snow was on the 24th in Donegal, pretty sure that was the earliest last year

Really feels like Winter here now, the wind has finally started to pick up after a surprisingly calm day. Wintry showers every half an hour or so with sleet and hail mixed in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

How did you forget that word!!!

I'll never forget that word, or "graupel" either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'll never forget that word, or "graupel" either. ;)

I remember graupel; thundersnow wasn't mentioned half as often! Though by that logic it must be twice as special and should be remembered twice as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Caitriona wrote: »
    I remember graupel; thundersnow wasn't mentioned half as often! Though by that logic it must be twice as special and should be remembered twice as much.

I see your thundersnow and grauple and raise you thundergraupel! Got some of that stuff here on the 27th last year before it turned to proper snow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqqu882DSwk

Encouraged by reports but discouraged by the failing squall line we decided to try and intercept the squall before it dissipated completely. Leaving Cork we intercepted it all too soon and we were unprepared so missed the start, which is the dramatic bit.

After the squall passed we recorded:
    9.3°C chill factor 5.1°C
    Barometer 998.9 @ 16:54
    We did not get any wind reading.

WS at home:
    Caught 1.2mm of Rain
    Temp: Max 12.5°C @11:27
    Temp: Min 7.7°C @17.59
    Wind unexceptional: Gust of 46 kph @13:01

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Landed in Dublin airport about 16:30. Was pretty rough up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

In cork airport now waiting to fly to Edinburgh.....gonna be rough I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Ah, thundersnow! Have to say i witnessed it last winter in Waterford and it was wonderful.
    Not a sound, low bright lightning and blizzard like snow!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Great to see the forum buzzing again with talk of snow and plummeting temperatures!:)

Had a scary experience today around 2:30pm between Moate and Athlone on the Motorway. Traffic almost at a standstill, heaviest rain I've seen and cars being blown all over the road. :eek:
    I'm sure there was some icy grains mixed in with it, but I was so busy trying to keep the car on the road I couldn't say for definite

Edit: only just looked at the radar for 3pm, must have been that squall line.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I couldnt be happier with the weather today, I actually wooped when I saw there was snow (even tho it was only a little bit :rolleyes:)! Sun is BORING, bring on the wind, rain, ice and snowwwwwwww :D:D:D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Ha Ha ...even the Weather Gods have it in for our TD's ;)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1017/breaking24.html
    282147_1.jpg?ts=1318875119

A number of cars sustained damage in the car park of Leinster House when a section of the roof of the adjacent Natural History Museum blew off. Large pieces of roof lead were visible on the ground. The boot of one car was damaged and some vehicles had their wing mirrors knocked off.

A spokesman for the Houses of the Oireachtas said no one was injured. Engineers from the Office of Public Works were due on site to assess the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Was there any actual verified snow report at any station? For the contest . . .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Lead blowing off a roof?
    Someone in the OPW needs to see what f*cktard affixed that leading to the museum roof, never mind sending down engineers. What a joke this country is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Hopefully not long now till we see a bit of this.. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Was there any actual verified snow report at any station? For the contest . . .;)

No, none, though maybe Knock might be the most likely contender with those showers rolling in during the next couple of nights.

Su Campu wrote: »
    No, none, though maybe Knock might be the most likely contender with those showers rolling in during the next couple of nights.

Being the highest station in the country should help.

9.30 weather had showers and 3 degrees tonight, so possibility of a snow shower somewhere!

Is knock automatic at night?

Edit:Only 4 degrees there at 22.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yep EIKN is automatic at night.It was very cold there earlier this afternoon with a temp of 4 degrees and dew point of the same and a steady 15kt Northerly."Not quite as nice as Alicante" as one Ryanair pilot put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i love how all the temps have plummeted around the country,most places around 5 degrees now? love it feels like winter like it should be, will it stay like this until it gte much colder in like mid november. i tihnk i heard about abother dreade ild spell:mad: coming after these few days of cold temps ,is it true? and once the mild is over will it be back to cold,and more importantly STAY COLD?:)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i love how all the temps have plummeted around the country,most places around 5 degrees now? love it feels like winter like it should be, will it stay like this until it gte much colder in like mid november. i tihnk i heard about abother dreade ild spell:mad: coming after these few days of cold temps ,is it true? and once the mild is over will it be back to cold,and more importantly STAY COLD?:)

Well yes, usually the mild (autumn) is followed by the cold (winter) so we can expect a cold spell some time after the mild spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

sure is cold tonight , 5.5 degrees out now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Some windchill out there in exposed windy areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

would it be cold enough for sleet and rain mixture at 5 degrees or are my eyes playin tricks ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Got stuck outisde waiting for my ride home in this. It was very gusty for an hour before the squal arrived. Looking out the windows at school, the grass was in a constant horizontal position, and I watched a piece of paper get picked up, a scrumpled up piece at that, and blow through the air for a solid 20 seconds which i found impressive enough considering it was a condensed ball of paper. There was an almighty gust as I was sitting outside as the first few drops fell. Across the road there was a very audible crunch from a tree, nothing seemed to have fallen, but something definately snapped. Then the rain came. At first it was like an ordinary heavy shower, but then the raindrops doubled in size and it was probably the most ferocious downpour I've experienced. There was no big gusts with the rain, but their was sheets of mist blowing off roofs and the road which was an impressive sight. The torrential rain last aroumnd 4-5 minutes, and after that there was a definate chill to the air, and an odd calm in the wind. On the journey home there was some decent chunks of trees down in fields, so it was definatly windy out there. Good first hand experience of a squal line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wouldnt be at all surprised if there was a heavy shower passing through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

NIALL D wrote: »
    would it be cold enough for sleet and rain mixture at 5 degrees or are my eyes playin tricks ? :confused:

Had sleet here earlier with the temp around 5.5C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The good news is the mild air will return later in the week, some nice variability for weather fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Min wrote: »
    The good news is the mild air will return later in the week, some nice variability for weather fans.

From the news highs of 13 or 14. Normal temperatures for October.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Su Campu wrote: »

Glenane in Co. Armagh (a UKMO station) was reporting sleet yesterday afternoon at 1500 with a temp of 4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Some windchill out there in exposed windy areas.
    We're really feeling the cold this morning which isn't surprising considering we went from summer to winter in one hour yesterday.
    Mean temperatures are generally 3 degrees above normal for October, at Dublin Airport (my nearest ME station) the mean for Oct so far is 13.1c, compare this with June 12c: July 13.8c: August 13.5c and Sept 14c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks like some serious rain and wind ahead at the weekend guys if you are to go on what MT is saying (and we will:D!)

Advertisement