Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Cold Front - 17th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now 9.1c at 3.45pm, exact 4c drop in 15 minutes. Rain rate of 174.2mm/hr recorded as the front passed over, it really only lasted a minute or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

That initial gust that hit Dublin 2 was damn impressive. The poor auld election posters never stood a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Got a vid of it hitting. Started one way then in the space of a few minutes it swung the opposite way.

Pretty cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just passed here, about 3 mins of heavy rain, and a few little gusts. Pretty disappointing really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Wind is up though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A drop of 8 degrees in Mullingar in little over an hour, now stands at a balmy 5 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Rougies wrote: »
    Just passed here, about 3 mins of heavy rain, and a few little gusts. Pretty disappointing really :(

Was going to say the same, not much to it if I'm honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Rain just hit UCD so you shouldn't be waiting long ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

burger1979 wrote: »
    10 Mins?? is that all??? getting darker in sandyford..........i'm off out to take a picture of the wind.....:D:D

Intense for about 10 mins with very strong blustery wind. Once the line passed steady rain but the actual front itself was relatively short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Latest radar shows it weakened as it came across Dublin. Our friends further to the north got a much more impressive show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

temp is about 9.3C here at the house. wondering if it will drop much further?
    5C in mullingar sounds chilly!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just reported on the radio that there's snow on Benbulben in Sligo. Elevation is just over 500m so interesting to see where the snow line starts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Am I right in thinking that this rain is important because it's representing arrival of some new (possibly colder) weather system?

PS: Not overwhelmed by the rain at all - I was in India half of August-Sep and I am used to proper serious, non-stop, deafening type of rain showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got some intense squalls of heavy rain and gale force winds just after 3pm. It just lasted a few minutes just outside Limerick city. It is fairly quiet since with light rain and moderate breeze.

positron wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that this rain is important because it's representing arrival of some new (possibly colder) weather system?

PS: Not overwhelmed by the rain at all - I was in India half of August-Sep and I am used to proper serious, non-stop, deafening type of rain showers.

Cold air will follow behind it is all. Feeling nippy now compared to earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sunshine and scattered showers here gone back up to 4.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Touchdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some thunder or hail would of made me happy about it...

Heres the showers at ther 2 MINUTE peak...

.... Ahh well... at least i got the hang of my time-lapse

Bring on the snow i say ! ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dublin Airport closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Definite change in the temp and pressure. Front doorbell is sticky and acts as a barometer and starts ringing when the pressure drops. Just went to unstick it and its a lot cooler outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Line very well defined again on 1500 ME radar.

Hopefully it stays like that. These features have a tendancy to break up near Dublin.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Latest radar shows it weakened as it came across Dublin. Our friends further to the north got a much more impressive show.

Spot on Docarch, I was thinking the same earlier, hoping it wouldn;t happen again, but as usual it weakened just before it hit South Dublin. Seems like north Dublin even got a better show. Wonder if the Wicklow Mtns have anything to do with it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just back in from the shop...feckin' see your breath out there. Brrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

great video ian! not even monsoon rain would slow down those drivers over the ramps lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

great video ian! not even monsoon rain would slow down those drivers over the ramps lol

Cheers, i wish i could get my old external HD working :(... i have a picture on it from the same view of a van going over the ramps in "monsoon" rains and the splash went as high as the school fence there... EPIC rain that day! ha :)
    Our road turned into a river! , and thats rare as all of Finglas it on a hillio... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

From 13.7C just a few hours ago to 5.4C now.... and it feels it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

PauloMN wrote: »
    From 13.7C just a few hours ago to 5.4C now.... and it feels it!

Wowza - major drop!!:eek: Winter has begun!

Dublin Airport report at 3pm 13c.

Dublin Airport report at 4pm 6c.

54kt gust too.

Went from a mild day to me feeling the cold here at home. Good front!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Casement and Dublin airport dropped from 13c at 1500 to 6c at 1600.

Casement 5.8mm of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

From 12.5 an hour ago to 5.0 now, one of the quickest drops ive seen!! Winter has well and truly arrived!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Ok. Its bloody freezing out now...

:mad:

Advertisement