Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership Fees near Dublin – no hello money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frogone

Felexicon wrote: »
    Where are looking to join?
    Area wise.

I'm looking at South county Dublin or Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

frogone wrote: »

Why not do a bit of research yourself? Half an hour on the internet should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Tulfarris might be an option, €799.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Most of the clubs are putting out their deals now for the remainder of this year and all of next.
    To be honest there's a lot of choices, depends on your budget really, but there'd be plenty of clubs in the c€1,000-€1,200 range, or even less with certain age categories/membership types.
    Off the top of my head the likes of Slade Valley, Beech Park, Castlewarden, Craddockstown are all in that sort of price range and are decent courses.

Closer in to Dublin, again depending on budget, maybe the likes of Stackstown. Anecdotally I've heard on the grapevine that Edmondstown have got rid of their joining fee but I don't know for sure.

As well as price and location, you would be wise to investigate things like the clubs' financial situation, how the courses play in winter and how busy the time sheets get.
    Some of the suggestions here wouldn't score well on some of those criteria.
    But you will have to investigate that for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 frogone

Thanks to those with the more informative replies. One course's website I looked at, Old Conna still seems to have 'hello' money involved. Slightly stumped by this as I played it recently, and when a chap at that bar asked for cash-back of E20 he said they didn't do it and jokingly said he'd be surprised if he made that in the day. I'd believe him as we were the only 4 there! I believe from Woodenbridge's website they too have no hello money involved and are circa E1,100 for the year.

Thanks to those with the more informative replies. One course's website I looked at, Old Conna still seems to have 'hello' money involved. Slightly stumped by this as I played it recently, and when a chap at that bar asked for cash-back of E20 he said they didn't do it and jokingly said he'd be surprised if he made that in the day. I'd believe him as we were the only 4 there! I believe from Woodenbridge's website they too have no hello money involved and are circa E1,100 for the year.

Top of the head suggestions (or people who might be pushing a particular club) are not "informative".
    It's up to you how and where you spend your money but if you are depending on what you learn from places like this - caveat emptor as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

A friend of mine joined Craddockstown in Naas is €969 for membership from today to April 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Cill dara have an offer up of 439 euro all in if you have been not a member there in the last 3 years i think. It is a nine holer, pro shop, great bar, fantastic restaurant and good bunch of people. Down side, sheep ****e average greens and very few open singles during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Glen of the Downs might be an option. Very easy to get to as it's just off the N11. €1175 with no joining fee according to the website. I was a member before I emigrated. I also have a connection so I won't say anything about the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Long Turn

Ask to see the last financial accounts of any club you are joining.
    The ones that are running their affairs well won't have a problem showing them to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Long Turn wrote: »
    The ones that are running their affairs well won't have a problem showing them to you.
    A similar indication would be the availability of phased payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ciarancummins7

Forrest Little in Swords are offering a variety of membership rates. There is no entrance fee at the moment and if you join now you get the rest of this year "free". Below grabbed from the website, and the €200 Tuesday membership for beginners would probably interest many just thinking about taking up golf...

forrestlittle.ie

Full 7 Day Membership
    Play 7 days a week enjoy plenty of competitions in a variety of formats and time for casual golf, this membership category comes with full voting rights. €1431 (includes GUI levy, insurance and €75 payment to loyalty card).

Five Day Membership
    Play 5 days a week, Monday through Friday enjoy a variety of competitions at a reduced membership rate.

Tuesday Membership
    Specifically designed for beginners, play golf on Tuesdays all year round for the excellent rate of €200. A comprehensive program is in place to ensure beginners are put at ease and gradually become familiar the the game and meet others who also new to the game.

Junior Membership
    Forrest Little welcomes young golfers of all abilities and have reduced our fees in all categories.

Cadet 7-10 years on 1st May €60.
    Juvenile 11 - 17 years on 1st January €183
    Junior 18 - 24 years on 1st January €392
    Intermediate 25 - 26 years on 1st January €634

Family Membership
    Our family friendly ethos is at the heart of Forrest Little and that is demonstrated in our fee structure for families (Father, Mother, Spouse/Partner) who pay two Full Membership subscriptions can avail of 75% discount for their qualified children in the categories of Cadet, Juvenile, Junior or Intermediate.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Long Turn wrote: »

Why would the financial accounts of any club be required, As there is almost no clubs today charging an entrance fee, your payment is based solely on a years golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Why would the financial accounts of any club be required, As there is almost no clubs today charging an entrance fee, your payment is based solely on a years golfing.

Because if you are paying in advance for a year's golf you want to make sure the club will continue trading for the twelve months.

There are plenty of stories of people paying a year's subs one day and shortly afterwards finding themselves as unsecured creditors!

BenEadir wrote: »
    Because if you are paying in advance for a year's golf you want to make sure the club will continue trading for the twelve months.

There are plenty of stories of people paying a year's subs one day and shortly afterwards finding themselves as unsecured creditors!

I must have missed those clubs, who and how many of them were there,

I must have missed those clubs, who and how many of them were there,

The last person I spoon fed was 18 months old but I'll make an exception for you

http://bit.ly/1pp4j2g

So pay by monthly instalment, and you're only paying for what you get.

Russman wrote: »
    So pay by monthly instalment, and you're only paying for what you get.

100% if they offer that facility but if they don't and want your full years sub up front ...........

100% if they offer that facility but if they don't and want your full years sub up front ...........

Ohh absolutely, run a mile in that scenario.

• Advertisement

Then join somewhere that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The last person I spoon fed was 18 months old but I'll make an exception for you

http://bit.ly/1pp4j2g

Awh poor you having to explain something on a discussion forum.
    Should we expect this level of balanced response everytime you're questioned on something?

Awh poor you having to explain something on a discussion forum.
    Should we expect this level of balanced response everytime you're questioned on something?

Mmmmm let me see, someone on a golf thread who appears to be unaware of the fact golf clubs in Ire;and have been closing down leaving their members high and dry. Yes, has to be the answer to questions like that when a 10 second Google would have answered his own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Mmmmm let me see, someone on a golf thread who appears to be unaware of the fact golf clubs in Ire;and have been closing down leaving their members high and dry. Yes, has to be the answer to questions like that when a 10 second Google would have answered his own question.
    The 10 second google search you did provided exactly 1 example so it would seem a more extensive investigation would be required to find all these other clubs you elude to.

Thanks for the info, I was aware of South County, but had been under the impression that a deal had been done with the original owner of the land to take care of those members who had paid their subs in the year that the 2004 company closed down in 2012 and that apart from lost "share ownership" which was a nonsense concept in any propritory course anyway, people were not out of pocket for their years golf when they reopened as lisheen springs., but I stand corrected. Now I have done as you suggested a google search but mine obviously isn't as good as yours as it is not showing up anymore clubs which have closed leaving golfers high and dry, so please pass on another spoonful and shure maybe you'll change me nappy as well, come to think of it there may have been Turbey but I think that may have not reopened at the start of a season.

The 10 second google search you did provided exactly 1 example so it would seem a more extensive investigation would be required to find all these other clubs you elude to.

Man, is there a full moon this weekend? Please tell me what the 3rd search result refers to? The words "Elm" and "Green" ring a bell?

please pass on another spoonful and shure maybe you'll change me nappy as well

Nah, my work here is done.

Man, is there a full moon this weekend? Please tell me what the 3rd search result refers to? The words "Elm" and "Green" ring a bell?

Rather surprised to see that they have closed, must have been this evening as they appear to be advertising for membership next year and also golf for the bank holiday weekend upcoming and posted results for todays competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The 3rd listing is from Elm Greens Facebook page and it is just a link to the article re South County closing...

Did you not click into the link?
    Com'on, I'm just after putting the kids to bed

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    The 3rd listing is from Elm Greens Facebook page and it is just a link to the article re South County closing...

Did you not click into the link?
    Com'on, I'm just after putting the kids to bed

chortle

Advertisement