Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a pain. I'm the same, I'll take a video of the car before hand if a staff member won't come walk around with me and sign off any existing damage, do the same when I return it. When I used to hire cars using my corporate code they'd never even bother checking it and it was no skin off my nose but when it's going to come out of my pocket it's the only way to go.

One reason why I hate hiring cars when on holidays, the constant fear of a scratch or something.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

daragh_ wrote: »
    The annoying bit is being at the mercy of their system and not being able to get my own quote for a repair. :(
    They use set charges but don't actually get any repairs done (except major ones) until the end of the lease period - basically it is a complete rip-off - they get you through the insurance or charges for "damage"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i use economycarrentals.com when hiring cars - they have full cover included. couple of times ive refused to sign anything when handing car back after some scratches appeared - never heard anything more. Used to regularly hire cars for work throughout europe using them and never had any issues or charges on my card

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

stetyrrell wrote: »
    370 points in my leaving cert, fairly certain I'll have to build another bike for commuting to college now ;)
    You'd better get those sums right on the Jersey order now ...

Well done

lennymc wrote: »
    i use economycarrentals.com when hiring cars - they have full cover included. couple of times ive refused to sign anything when handing car back after some scratches appeared - never heard anything more. Used to regularly hire cars for work throughout europe using them and never had any issues or charges on my card
    I think they have been a lot "keener" over the past couple of years, but it does also depend on the location. I try and hire form somewhere where I know I can get it checked over on return - never had a problem except for the "nail" incident. If I just leave the keys I know the chances are they will hit me for anything they can find, even scratches so faint you could never really pick them all up. I suspect some smaller hire locations justify their existence by the "extras" they can pull in

Still it's always worth arguing your case as they do seem to tend to give up when you insist on evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beasty wrote: »
    I asked them to provide proof of damage - they said they had photos - after another 6 months they had failed to provide any evidence and refunded in full
    This is the thing, unless a staff member inspects the car with you when you drop it back, the rental company has no leg to stand on. The damage they allege, could have occurred at any point after you dropped off the car.

We rented a car in Italy and while trying to negotiate the streets of a medieval castle, I hit a wall (well, it was the fault of my Dad who was guiding me in, really), completely destroying the front wing panel, a good €600 worth of damage, probably €1000 after the rental company tack on their markup.

Anyway, drove the car the rest of the time, dropped it back to the airport where the girl at the desk just took the keys and smiled. No inspection, no questions asked.

Never heard anything about the fncked wing, not even an attempt to charge it to the card. I'm sure someone looked at the car, saw that nobody had inspected it and just said, "Well, fnck".

So moral of the story - unless they've inspected the vehicle while you're there, don't accept any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cheers lads, if it helps I managed to get an A2 in ordinary level maths so I should have a handle on the jersey sums :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

He just has to wait for it to gain in Irony value. Soon it will be flying around Dublin on some fixie riding, non-prescription glasses wearing, typewriter carrying, Galactoids playing, faux-courier Hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think the boards rule is that a drug scandal increases a retro jersey's value. Might be a bit early for this one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

So this contraption was in the car par beside the hotel in Lanzarote. Parked up and not in use (thankfully or I probably would be pedaling my hardest and sweating like a raped ape every night, laying down a challenge to all the dare to go up against me :D).

The bikes obviously rotated upwards and were driven up by pedaling. Check out the chain runs. Other than that I have no idea :confused:

267310.JPG

267308.JPG

267309.JPG

267311.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    If I just leave the keys I know the chances are they will hit me for anything they can find, even scratches so faint you could never really pick them all up. I suspect some smaller hire locations justify their existence by the "extras" they can pull in
    The last few times we hired abroad Mrs WA insisted we get the full insurance cover. It's expensive but great peace of mind especially when they tell you that the car may be returned in a skip if desired.

The problem in some countries is that many drivers consider it perfectly normal to utilise the bumpers when parking - a bit of a pain when it's done to a rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Keep thinking I have some kind of flu coming on, then I get on the bike awhile and it seems to abate. Starting to think its psychosomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Keep thinking I have some kind of flu coming on, then I get on the bike awhile and it seems to abate. Starting to think its psychosomatic.

I've had a tickle in the back of my throat for the past month and a half. I wonder if as soon as the season ends, illness will strike, KAPOW!

buffalo wrote: »
    I've had a tickle in the back of my throat for the past month and a half. I wonder if as soon as the season ends, illness will strike, KAPOW!

It suddenlly hit after the Team Pursuit Nationals, which I was stressing about for a few weeks, so maybe that's all it is. Stupid cycling, never had these things going on when life was pizza, Buffy, couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I made a cycling joke

How do you know you cycle the same route too often?

You start to recognise things in the dirt on the side of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

It suddenlly hit after the Team Pursuit Nationals, which I was stressing about for a few weeks, so maybe that's all it is. Stupid cycling, never had these things going on when life was pizza, Buffy, couch.

I don't like it when you use your pet name for me in public. :/

buffalo wrote: »
    I don't like it when you use your pet name for me in public. :/

You'll have to give me a few days to come bak to this one, speechless at the moment. You never made it clear that it was a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Zyzz wrote: »

Considering who says it and the context of the show, I'll take it as a compliment. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The Jeff of boards 410?

The Jeff of boards 410?

Me? Ketchup is a vegetable btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Ah France.....So today my son went surfing down at Carcans plage (beach) only to find the coastgaurd/helicopter rescue in training manouvers/show off mode....then went to find a supermarket but in typical French style everything closed for Thursday pm and then a nice 50km cycle in late 20's heat and clear blue sky on cycle lanes that made our motorway surface look poor.
    Decided not to wear socks or a crash hat.Felt liberating!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrah, first time this week my shift in work will be sub 12 hours. I get to leave work early, I may celebrate with a stop in my local purveyor of alcoholic beverages store.

687474703a2f2f63617463686d79706963747572652e636f6d2f662f41516b72374d2f3634302e6a7067

Any of my fellow trackies fancy going in on a buy of this?

https://www.lfgss.com/thread111780.html#post3770043

I'm 70% interested in actually doing it, for the fear and adrenaline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm 70% interested in actually doing it, for the fear and adrenaline

So all you need is someone who is moderately interested or a midget who is very interested?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any of my fellow trackies fancy going in on a buy of this?

Is there a tandem track record in Ireland?

CramCycle wrote: »

No clue tbh, I'd only be using it for fun.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    There will be as until the last couple of years they ran National Track Championships at Sundrive

They are not listed on the trackcycling website though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement