Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think he would be faster is he didn't look at stems all the time.

Maybe he is so fast because he is forever chasing his stem, unable to quite catch up with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

doozerie wrote: »
    I think it's a father thing.

I remember my dad giving me bread and dripping and telling me it was just like pate. It wasn't and I still can't believe he gets so excited when the butcher has it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I remember my dad giving me bread and dripping and telling me it was just like pate. It wasn't and I still can't believe he gets so excited when the butcher has it in.

In primary school a mate used to wipe the pan clean with a slice of white bread and wolf it down. Now this was in the days before we all got healthy and used olive oil to fry with, it would be full of semi-solid frytex or other similar animal fat based grease, and black bits of everything that was cooked in the pan the previous days. Jaysus, even thinking about it I'm gagging.

To this day I blame him for me insisting my frys are grills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In primary school a mate used to wipe the pan clean with a slice of white bread and wolf it down. Now this was in the days before we all got healthy and used olive oil to fry with, it would be full of semi-solid frytex or other similar animal fat based grease, and black bits of everything that was cooked in the pan the previous days. Jaysus, even thinking about it I'm gagging.

I do this but don't bother with the bread. Wouldn't touch Frytex. Lard or coconut oil only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rear hub's bearings decided to pack it in on the Quays, currently stranded in town waiting for Rothar to replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lived with a guy in college who would reuse the same fat in the frying pan over and over and over, just leave it sitting there to congeal an reheat. I never really ate meat so presumed this was the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Rear hub's bearings decided to pack it in on the Quays, currently stranded in town waiting for Rothar to replace them.

LOL, oh dear! The sacrifices you're making for the boards jersey order won't be forgotten ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A missed opportunity there, if you'd used courdelion's dad's dripping to pack your bearings you could have settled down to a "tasty" snack of (recycled - ha!) lard on a slice of bread right now as you waited for your bike hub to be de-larded. That's how my father's generation would have rolled, quite literally.

…ah heyor, I've reminded myself now of that disgusting dry/lard feeling you'd get on the roof of your mouth after eating stuff that was fried in dripping. Barf! I'm definitely one of the high cholesterol generation - I reckon my parents thought "high" cholesterol was an aim rather than a medical condition, a case of overachieving gone horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I almost offered to pop over to keep you company...but then I realised my dissertation procrastination problem is getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

doozerie wrote: »
    I reckon my parents thought "high" cholesterol was an aim rather than a medical condition, a case of overachieving gone horribly wrong.
    Your parents were right, you live longer if you have a higher cholesterol. Especially if you are a woman.

• Advertisement

I almost offered to pop over to keep you company...but then I realised my dissertation procrastination problem is getting out of hand.

I know the feeling, I still have 4 half-filled job application forms on my desk at home.

Results day tomorrow, I have a feeling that this repair is the universe trying to tell me something in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Andy ".....fish n chips thare luv"

996579_10200434235394659_1113520186_n.jpg

Really didn't appreciate Rothar telling my my wheel would be sorted by 5 o'clock as I had a shift at 6, yet when I arrived at 5 I was told he was still working on it. Fast forward to half 5 and the mechanic appears to tell me he had only started working on it and it'd be tomorrow evening before I could collect it.

2 and a half hours wasted waiting, 12.50 in a taxi home as you can't take a bike on Dublin Bus, and a wheel that's still busted.

I am not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Really didn't appreciate Rothar telling my my wheel would be sorted by 5 o'clock as I had a shift at 6, yet when I arrived at 5 I was told he was still working on it. Fast forward to half 5 and the mechanic appears to tell me he had only started working on it and it'd be tomorrow evening before I could collect it.

2 and a half hours wasted waiting, 12.50 in a taxi home as you can't take a bike on Dublin Bus, and a wheel that's still busted.

I am not happy.
    Did they not offer a lend of a wheel? A few times I've had wheel problems, I've been offered a wheel by the shop I usually deal with.

Did they not offer a lend of a wheel? A few times I've had wheel problems, I've been offered a wheel by the shop I usually deal with.

Nope, just told me to drop the bike back in if I get a chance tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Nope, just told me to drop the bike back in if I get a chance tomorrow

Which branch of Rothar was it?

Which branch of Rothar was it?

Fade Street. Figured I'd give them a try because On Track were swamped with repairs.

Fade Street. Figured I'd give them a try because On Track were swamped with repairs.

Was wondering becuase I had a very disappointing experience in the one in Phibsboro but fade street have always been helpful and friendly with ideas and advice although they have never actually done any work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nice to see the british feting christine ohurugu (what a one year ban for missing three drugs test no no she's one of britains greatest)

a cloud over that one for sure imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nice to see the british feting christine ohurugu (what a one year ban for missing three drugs test no no she's one of britains greatest)

It's only Johnny Foreigner who dopes, thats obvious. Whats a few missed tests anyway, we all know there's not benefit to sprinting or endurance racing from using banned drugs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's only Johnny Foreigner who dopes, thats obvious. Whats a few missed tests anyway, we all know there's not benefit to sprinting or endurance racing from using banned drugs..

It's not like it's being totally glossed over. Three independent commissions concluded that she was just forgetful and it wasn't due to her trying to conceal drug use. She was banned for a year for it so didn't get away scot free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's not like it's being totally glossed over. Three independent commissions concluded that she was just forgetful and it wasn't due to her trying to conceal drug use. She was banned for a year for it so didn't get away scot free.

Just forgetful, shure thats fine then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Back from a lovely two weeks in Spain, floating in a lagoon, having the odd Vino Tinto and doing a few sessions on the bike.

Got overtaken by Valverde on one spin. Jumped onto his group for a glorious 30 seconds. That was the highlight.

The lowlight was Europcar ripping the guts out of my credit card last night for one bloody scratch. Winter bike fund has taken a big hit. They better put my name on the Team Jersey as a sponsor now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just forgetful, shure thats fine then...
    Never realised that she had actually had a lifetime ban from the Olympics imposed by the BOC and had to get it overturned via the CAS (as did Dwain Chambers), so at least at the BOC level they didn't gloss over it

370 points in my leaving cert, fairly certain I'll have to build another bike for commuting to college now ;)

370 points in my leaving cert, fairly certain I'll have to build another bike for commuting to college now ;)

Fair play!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Congratulations, Stephen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

daragh_ wrote: »
    The lowlight was Europcar ripping the guts out of my credit card last night for one bloody scratch.

How did they spot it, did you point it out or was it an after the fact thing were they billed you after you dropped it off ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

daragh_ wrote: »
    The lowlight was Europcar ripping the guts out of my credit card last night for one bloody scratch. Winter bike fund has taken a big hit. They better put my name on the Team Jersey as a sponsor now.
    Always get them to check the cars over on return whenever I can. Still got stung for £1,200 last year (over 2 cars hired by me and the wife at the same time) by Avis. I reckoned they were getting us to pay for pre-existing damage (I am absolutely certain there was no damage to my car while I had it - I drove it to our property, left it on the drive for a coupls of days and then drove back)

I asked them to provide proof of damage - they said they had photos - after another 6 months they had failed to provide any evidence and refunded in full

Had another incident with Hertz where I spotted a nail in the tyre. They would never have seen it whan I checked back in but I told them about it to avoid the risk of someone having a blowout (and it was almost certainly there when I picked the car up) - they still charged me 200 quid for a new tyre - I reckon it cost them no more than a tenner to fix

I suspect they make a lot more money ripping customers off with their insurance (Typically €15 or so a day - an annualised premium of over 5 grand) or charging customers for "damage" that they do from hiring teh cars. The car hire industry across Europe really shoudl be subject toi some kind of investigation

Anyway, someone told me about www.carhireexcess.ie where you can get annual pan-European cover for €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How did they spot it, did you point it out or was it an after the fact thing were they billed you after you dropped it off ?

They pointed it out to me when I dropped the car back. I had pics of the car from when I picked it up and the scratch seemed new, so I couldn't dispute it. Also was in a rush to get the kids through check-in so didn't have time to argue.

Hadn't seen it it that morning and had been super extra careful the whole time.
    The annoying bit is being at the mercy of their system and not being able to get my own quote for a repair. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement