Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's rampant and I've even seen a large group in the livery of a well known north county Dublin club sail through a red in Santry.
    I saw something similar one Saturday morning on the Swords bypass/Airside junction - knowing a number of the individuals involved I quickly opened the car window and bellowed across the road "red light jumper". One particular individual looked a little startled as he completed the manoeuver and started his sprint towards the next roundabout

Of course I had a couple of the kids in the car, and they never fail to remind me by repeating my words whenever they see that livery (which is part of the reason I tend not to wear my own club jersey ....)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I might just start shouting RLJ every time someone does it now. Only problem is it's probably provocative to a few idiots who seem to get pedal-rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I might just start shouting RLJ every time someone does it now. Only problem is it's probably provocative to a few idiots who seem to get pedal-rage.

Don't worry since RLJing is just weakness staying in the body I'm sure you can outspin them. Just time your shout for when you're overtaking them again and have a clear escape route ahead.

;)

Should I shout "ne-ne-ne-ne-ne" too?

In fairness. If they're not deafened by the sonic boom, you're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Helicopter blows racers off the road:

Went in a town-wide hunt for a lockring tool and a 1/8th chain breaker for the precursa, to no avail despite trying 6 shops or so. Gave up in the end and dropped it into Eurocycles.

This cycling stuff is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

turns out ár$eholes cycle bikes too, while stopped at lights headed south on o'Connell bridge this afternoon a fellow cyclist told me that "I should have looked right at the last turn" as I would have seen him if I had. I pointed out to him that I had looked, had seen him trying to pass me out unnecessarily on the inside of the turn and was indicating all the while.

He waved his hand in my face at that point sarcastically telling me that I was right and moved off to roll through the red light at which stage I pointed out the irony of handing out safety tips before breaking a red light.

It was only when I reached the end of my journey that I remembered that before turning right I had changed lanes through stopped traffic in the run up the North Quays, was that the "Turn" he meant? Now I'm not sure who the ár$ehole is, I reckon its probably both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Posted on Twitter, as filmed by Magnus Backstedt:

Apparently brought down 60 riders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Went in a town-wide hunt for a lockring tool and a 1/8th chain breaker for the precursa, to no avail despite trying 6 shops or so. Gave up in the end and dropped it into Eurocycles.

This cycling stuff is expensive.

Did you try On Track on Cook Street?

• Advertisement

Did you try On Track on Cook Street?

Yeah that's where I started off, Graham wasn't in it was some lad filling in for him so he didn't really know. They'd a chainwhip lockring all in one but it was €30 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I love packing.

Heading across Anatolia and into the Caucuses in three weeks time and I reckon I'll have packed and unpacked and repacked my bike about fifty times between then and now.
    Currently considering the practicalities of leaving my ortliebs behind and just bringing some stuff sacks and paracord meshing for ultimate lightweight and flexibility.

Eurocycles fitted a chainring, cog, lockring and the new chain for a tenner. Was nearly taken aback when he said it, was expecting at least 20 or higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Have basted it with the WD40, going to let it soak a little and try again tomorrow. I don't have handy access to a bench vice at the moment so going to bring out my old friend Mr Lump Hammer to do some gentle persuading.

Use a light hammer rather than a heavy one. Can't remember the exact why of it but it's something about the light hammer setting up higher frequency vibrations that are more likely to free the taper.

Also, I would use the crank puller, wind it in as tight as possible, then hit the head of the puller bolt with the hammer. That adds a much higher impulse force to the mix than just winding in the bolt...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Have the randomest want to try out a TT bike..looks cool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

anyone know a good site for bmx parts? tyres, grips, etc.

Found a rather unusual 'this is not a bicycle' situation when I went to get my beater after work.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Use a light hammer rather than a heavy one. Can't remember the exact why of it but it's something about the light hammer setting up higher frequency vibrations that are more likely to free the taper.

Also, I would use the crank puller, wind it in as tight as possible, then hit the head of the puller bolt with the hammer. That adds a much higher impulse force to the mix than just winding in the bolt...

Thanks for that, the WD40 and my immense strength with the crank puller got it in the end;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

came across one or two components from this bike:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210861
    in my dad's shed today - front and rear mech (suntour XCD, iirc), and shifters, plus an old seat post from a muddy fox courier comp; would they be of any use to anyone? was going to see if rothar were interested if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

lennymc wrote: »
    anyone know a good site for bmx parts? tyres, grips, etc.

Maybe velosolo or tokyo fixed gear? For grips anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Chris Froome Looking at Stems..

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I ate a couple of slices of bread yesterday which tasted a little past their best. I'd looked over the slices carefully before eating them, for signs of, er, aging (there is no mould, there is no mould!) but had found nothing. I optimistically decided to describe them to myself as tasting "a bit dry" on the basis that food that is "a bit dry" isn't particularly vomit inducing.

This morning I plucked another couple of slices from the same sliced pan. The space of time between glancing casually at them and flinging the mould ridden buggers out the door was short, very very short. My mouth has been reminding me ever since of yesterday's culinary experience. It seems that something that tastes "a bit dry" is not unlike something that tastes "very feckin' mouldy". It also seems that nothing is capable of removing a mouldy taste from your mouth, even 24 hours later. Curse you bacteria!

Today's slices of bread will be fine. I'm sure of it. (There is no mould, there is no mould!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just think of it as a dose of penicillin. That's the problem with some of the brown breads you can get, you're not sure if what you're looking at is mould or the various nuts or whatever in it.

ThisRegard wrote:
    Just think of it as a dose of penicillin.

Typical, the stuff that is good for you tastes like crap. The vile tyranny of tastebuds continues unchecked. :(

doozerie wrote: »
    Typical, the stuff that is good for you tastes like crap. The vile tyranny of tastebuds continues unchecked. :(

A friends father once described the Mold on a piece of bread as "the best bit" before fishing the bread from the bin where I had deposited it, buttering it and eating it with great gusto.

Frankly it was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just started a gluten free diet. Started off thinking it was going to be rubbish and thinking of all the food an drink I'd have to give up. I've never eaten so well in my life. Scrambled eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. Tuna salad for lunch instead of sandwiches. It's great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Junior wrote: »
    Chris Froome Looking at Stems..

http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

I think he would be faster is he didn't look at stems all the time.

• Advertisement

A friends father once described the Mold on a piece of bread as "the best bit" before fishing the bread from the bin where I had deposited it, buttering it and eating it with great gusto.

Frankly it was disgusting.

I think it's a father thing. My father used to eat some awful muck and probably still does. (Ma)lingering memories include: cold cabbage congealing between two slices of buttered bread, a slice (literally) of cold porridge on bread, cold tapioca on bread... I could go on but I may just have to throw up if I dredge up any more such memories that I've buried away in the dark recesses of my mind over the years.

Based on yesterday's incident it seems I may be unwittingly heading down the same fatherly route myself.

(My father used to pride himself on his robust constitution, his description of seemingly being able to shovel any auld shyte into himself and survive, but the gloss was taken off that claim one day when he opened a cupboard to reveal a lifetime's supply of Gaviscon hiding in there - you could probably ingest pure acid and survive if you pumped enough of that stuff into your system immediately afterwards).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement