Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/82097779

They are doing it the wrong way. Beasty should get a naked photo on here and see how fast we can gather 10k to get rid of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

531763_10151277903658744_1957038640_n.jpg

Ritte?....you mean Bitte!!!!

EDIT: What's the difference between the two? One is a bit high maintenance, looks good between your legs and would give you hours of endless pleasure.....the other is a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As the weekend looms I just remembered that I forgot to swap the saddle on my winter bike, the existing saddle has been causing me discomfort recently. Boooo!

Then I remembered that my daughter administered an impressive semi-jumping/semi-flying headbutt to my crotch a few days back. Her accuracy was impeccable. I dropped to the traditional "I'm… Bleedin'… Dyin'...'" crouch, and spent several minutes breathing slowly and deeply and trying hard to find my happy place. That reset my pain threshold nicely, the existing saddle no longer poses any fear for me now. Yaaaayyy! …I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Took pity on a forlorn looking young Portuguese chap with a punctured rear wheel in Fairview Park this morning. However, I fear my tube is not long for this world as I could see through bits of his tyre. He swore he would replace it but I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Advertisement

AzTdLHKCIAAhfB5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Student claims they did not plagarise.
    I wrote down the websites for the 3 websites they copied and pasted from. Swears to my face, that they did not.
    I point out the change in font, background colour and font size, precisely where the copied text is (like a big neon sign saying "hey, I copied this and was to stupid to even re format it"), even though the language was enough to denote it was taken from someone else.
    Asks me to sit down and show them the website, as they don't believe me.
    They presumed because it was submitted by hand, I would not be able to check for plagarism.
    This is one better/worse than the student who last year told me it wasn't plagarism because they retyped it word for word rather than copied and pasted :eek:

Sometimes I am afraid for the future.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wrote down the websites for the 3 websites they copied and pasted from. Swears to my face, that they did not.
    I point out the change in font, background colour and font size, precisely where the copied text is (like a big neon sign saying "hey, I copied this and was to stupid to even re format it"), even though the language was enough to denote it was taken from someone else.
    They presumed because it was submitted by hand, I would not be able to check for plagarism.
    This is one better/worse than the student who last year told me it wasn't plagarism because they retyped it word for word rather than copied and pasted :eek:

That's horrific. Everyone needs to know how to plagiarise well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dónal wrote: »

Indeed. We pressurize kids to learn ever more subjects by rote through primary and secondary school, you'd wonder if it is the smart ones that master cut & paste. In computing, I find the best programmers are the lazy ones ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I know a few people who teach at third level and its mad to hear how much plagiarism goes on, especially among first years. I think the thing that always surprises me the most is how many of those caught find it difficult to conceive that there's something wrong with it.

I suspect uncovering plagiarists is like spotting re-regs for Boards mods. They always think that there's some super sleuthing involved, but really you spot it a mile off. The writing style is always the giveaway.

• Advertisement

I know a few people who teach at third level and its mad to hear how much plagiarism goes on, especially among first years. I think the thing that always surprises me the most is how many of those caught find it difficult to conceive that there's something wrong with it.

I suspect uncovering plagiarists is like spotting re-regs for Boards mods. They always think that there's some super sleuthing involved, but really you spot it a mile off. The writing style is always the giveaway.

I recyced parts of an essay essay in 3rd year from a year before. Rejigged the sentences, rewrote some of the lines and used synonyms for the important bits. Easy peasy.

Did I get caught? No. Do I feel bad? Nope. Would I do the same to others work? Perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You should see this "safe assign" thingy they have now, scary how good it is, a little too Orwellian for my liking. Everything I do has to be submitted using it, except for maths homeworks which are still done the old fashioned way: copying the chinese students*

*I kid, I do my own maths.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You should see this "safe assign" thingy they have now, scary how good it is, a little too Orwellian for my liking. Everything I do has to be submitted using it, except for maths homeworks which are still done the old fashioned way: copying the chinese students.

My department never used safe assign. Always heard my colleuges moaning about it. 2 identical copies with cover sheets FTW :D

Plagiarism is so popular that it is alleged to be practiced at the highest levels. :)
    A chairman of the Institute of Technology Tralee has been accused by 26 staff of plagiarising sections of a thesis.
    :
    :
    Mr Garvey – a retired school teacher from Inagh, Co Clare, currently sits on an examinations and assessment appeals committee at the Tralee institute, which deliberates on issues such as plagiarism by students.

I wonder how good his maths are, he might be thinking "Jaysus, 26 against 1, I'll beat this thing, no problem at all at all".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Dónal wrote: »

True, all they have to do is put it in their own words, reference it (correctly) and hey presto, oh wait....
    doozerie wrote: »
    Plagiarism is so popular that it is alleged to be practiced at the highest levels. :)

Even higher: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12608083

CramCycle (2012, post 5348) notes:
    'Student claims they did not plagarise.

Sometimes I am afraid for the future.' quoted from a post in the boards.ie cycling forum today from a poster under the username CramCycle

Reference: "Dr. Ferrari's Camper Van", www.boards.ie, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82124771&postcount=5348

FYP, sort of, I hate websites as references.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

As part of my work, I'm occasionally involved in developing specifications for engineering works. I always smile when I see a spelling mistake I made ten years ago appear in a new, supposedly unrelated document. Easily flattered, me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

smacl wrote: »
    As part of my work, I'm occasionally involved in developing specifications for engineering works. I always smile when I see a spelling mistake I made ten years ago appear in a new, supposedly unrelated document. Easily flattered, me.

I hate engineering specs. You're too lazy to exclude what's not relevant to the building I'm measuring so you leave it all in and waste my time needlessly. I'm quite capable of wasting it without your help thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

There was a perfectly good Gatorskin tyre sitting outside cycleways earlier. I forgot to take it when I was leaving :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Not having to write a thesis again is something I am very happy about.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

happytramp wrote: »
    There was a perfectly good Gatorskin tyre sitting outside cycleways earlier. I forgot to take it when I was leaving :(

Oh, man sorry. Maybe they brought it back in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Had exactly the same conversation with one of your students last year, down to the lack of reformatting (bold and a completely different font, IIRC), the sudden change in writing style (in this case it wasn't just style, it was going from third person to first person)., the disbelief when I opened the website and showed them where I had found the phrases.

Would laugh (or more likely cry) if it was the same student....

StudentC wrote: »
    Had exactly the same conversation with one of your students last year, down to the lack of reformatting (bold and a completely different font, IIRC), the sudden change in writing style (in this case it wasn't just style, it was going from third person to first person)., the disbelief when I opened the website and showed them where I had found the phrases.

Would laugh (or more likely cry) if it was the same student....

Different class but I can imagine who you are on about. One warning, to everyone, a 0% and it never happened again. They liked you, best lecturer they had in their eyes, and constant references to your teaching and correction style, left quite an impression, alot to live upto :(

Generally I don't use the anti-plagarism software with labs/reports, as there is to much overlap with other students, only use it to identify sites if I can't find them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I'm watching Overcoming (2005) on YT. Bjarne Riis is a bloody arse! My God having him as a DS would drive anyone mad--Good luck Nico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Different class but I can imagine who you are on about. One warning, to everyone, a 0% and it never happened again. They liked you, best lecturer they had in their eyes, and constant references to your teaching and correction style, left quite an impression, alot to live upto :(

Generally I don't use the anti-plagarism software with labs/reports, as there is to much overlap with other students, only use it to identify sites if I can't find them straight away.

Ah jeez, that's mad, chuffed by that, so I am! And there was me thinking they were alwasy bored to tears in my classes!

As for the software - in that particular instance it took nothing more than 10 seconds of Googling to find the website, it was that blatant. But yeah, Turnitin and Safeassihn are good for essays but not the best for basic lab reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Great interview with Kimmage taking a look back at Rough Ride, I found the section on Sky very interesting.

http://m.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/paul-kimmage-and-long-crusade

On mobile hence the mobile link, presumably if you change the m. to www. you'll get the full site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

That's a great read, thanks for the link.
    (Kelly testing his tyre pressures? :()

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    I'm watching Overcoming (2005) on YT. Bjarne Riis is a bloody arse! My God having him as a DS would drive anyone mad--Good luck Nico.

What's a DS? What's YT?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement