Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    E-mail just received:
    :D:D:D

Hope you get the chance to see your beloved team try to get closer to the 5 that Liverpool have won, will help them establish themselves as the second best team in the Premier league....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Beasty wrote: »
    E-mail just received:
    :D:D:D

Hi Beasty, my bestest buddy in the whole wide world :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

this is exactly hyow a chain should be fixed ha

e8RGD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

BX 19 wrote: »
    this is exactly hyow a chain should be fixed ha

e8RGD.jpg

She could at least feign an interest and smile, the cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Holy flying cyclists and bikes batman !!

A63en6aCMAAhYHn.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Like this - http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

The biological explanation for "sorry mate, didn't see you":
    When you move your head and eyes to scan a scene, your eyes are incapable of moving smoothly across it and seeing everything. Instead, you see in the image in a series of very quick jumps (called saccades) with very short pauses (called fixations) and it is only during the pauses that an image is processed.

Your brain fills in the gaps with a combination of peripheral vision and an assumption that what is in the gaps must be the same as what you see during the pauses.

Essentially, if a cyclist is in a driver's saccade, they're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Junior wrote: »
    Airless Tyres anyone ?

its about time. the tech has been around for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Junior wrote: »

Wonder how aero they are? Probably not much use for CX.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tel wrote: »
    Wonder how aero they are? Probably not much use for CX.

Probably not much use for anything. I would bet that the ride quality and grip is worse than a puncture proof tyre (e.g. Marathon Plus), as the sidewalls would have to be super stiff.

The off-roading looks slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I changed a shifter cable tonight. What an irrational fear of such a (like most stuff on the bike) simple job. I feel like I've come of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Try to get to a muddy terrain with those tires.. they 'll end weighing a ton each!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

buffalo wrote: »
    Essentially, if a cyclist is in a driver's saccade, they're screwed.

Grab the driver by the saccade, or the fixation, and give it a good yank. That's sure to attract his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've been searching for a set of Electron Backupz USB rechargeable lights online and found a set on special offer, for £19.95 (they are £30+ elsewhere), from a place in Edinburgh. Their shipping info says they don't ship to Ireland but their registration page lets you select from only 4 countries for your address and Ireland is one of them. So I registered.

Sure enough they auto-filled the delivery charge in my basket - they'll charge £20 just to ship this tiny set of lights to me. In case that should scare me off they are offering free shipping if I spend just another £480.05. 'Twould take a lot of sets of lights to reach that figure, more than I'll ever need in several lifetimes, but it's "free" shipping, and something free has got to be good, right?...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how doable is 430km in a day do you reckon?
    http://goo.gl/maps/q6Wp4

up there over the new year would really like to get up to the north most point from where we are, looking to get a car to get 70km or so up the road make it a bit easier but not sure if I'll be able too. 1400m x2 of ascent in the total dist which isn't too bad...

Would prob take 15 hours I reckon :eek:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's nearly 29kph assuming no stops. I think you could easily "budget" on the full 24 hours including stops and it's still a hell of a challenge imo

... or are you saying the "70 or so up the road" in the car reduces it to a "mere" 290km? In which case maybe 15 hours including stops is a lot more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

doozerie wrote: »
    I've been searching for a set of Electron Backupz USB rechargeable lights online and found a set on special offer, for £19.95 (they are £30+ elsewhere), from a place in Edinburgh. Their shipping info says they don't ship to Ireland but their registration page lets you select from only 4 countries for your address and Ireland is one of them. So I registered.

Sure enough they auto-filled the delivery charge in my basket - they'll charge £20 just to ship this tiny set of lights to me. In case that should scare me off they are offering free shipping if I spend just another £480.05. 'Twould take a lot of sets of lights to reach that figure, more than I'll ever need in several lifetimes, but it's "free" shipping, and something free has got to be good, right?...

I'm in Edinburgh next week if you want me to pick them up?

up there over the new year would really like to get up to the north most point from where we are, looking to get a car to get 70km or so up the road make it a bit easier but not sure if I'll be able too. 1400m x2 of ascent in the total dist which isn't too bad...

I recently did 295kms in Italy in 9h 20m including three / four stops along the way for refreshments.

It's a long day, but certainly do-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I recently did 295kms in Italy in 9h 20m including three / four stops along the way for refreshments.

It's a long day, but certainly do-able.

Just lying down now for a little. Suddenly I feel fatigued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

doozerie wrote: »
    they'll charge £20 just to ship this tiny set of lights to me.

Have you looked into that parcel motel thing ? All the kids over on the Bargain Alerts forum are raving about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

I understand the main benefit of Parcel Motel is that it offers 24hr delivery locations and you can pick up your items from these when you wish, but can someone explain how it can reduce delivery costs etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Because some sites offer free delivery to the UK, or will only deliver to the UK, you enter your address as the parcel motel address in Antrim, so it's shipped free to there. They then bring it down to one of the drop off points for €3.50. So in doozeries case he'll pay €3.50 for a two night 'stay' in a selected motel rather than £20 delivery directly from the site.

There's additional costs depending on parcel size and not collecting within the 2 days etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I think you'd have to do that on the Summer Solstice to have any chance of doing most of it in daytime! :D

Just lying down now for a little. Suddenly I feel fatigued.

Imagine how I felt! Didn't get back to the hotel until 1am after the bus transfer back from the event finish and then was up at 5:30 am the next morning for a flight!

The logistics of events with different start and finishes are head wrecking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Holy flying cyclists and bikes batman !!

A63en6aCMAAhYHn.jpg:large
    Aaw, the poor little doggy. I wonder who it belongs to, Philippe Gilbert perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I can envisage big clods of dirt getting stuck in them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Aaw, the poor little doggy. I wonder who it belongs to, Philippe Gilbert perhaps?

Does it not look like the dog stuck out its leg and caused the bike to go out of control/somersault etc.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Does it not look like the dog stuck out its leg and caused the bike to go out of control/somersault etc.

Is that a question?

Pedant alert. I love this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement