Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    ;)
    you not coming along Doyler?

Nah - I did that already. Once is more than enough, believe you me!

I'm going on the club trip that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

No a single post in 5 hours in the Camper Van on a Friday!

Have a great weekend folks and for those of you doing it enjoy the SCC Sportive. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hungrycol wrote: »
    No a single post in 5 hours in the Camper Van on a Friday!

Have a great weekend folks and for those of you doing it enjoy the SCC Sportive. ;)

I was just about to come and rant about my commute home. Cycling happily along Seville place, a row of parked cars (including a truck cab) just to the left of the rather narrow cycle lane means that I'm actually cycling just to the right of the dotted line, outside of the door zone. Car flies past with inches to spare. I give an involuntary yell. I pass him as we go under the bridge, and I make a "more space" motion with my right hand. He passes me and points firmly to the side of the road. Conversation at traffic lights:

Me: just a little bit more space when you're overtaking
    Him: You weren't even in the cycling lane buddy.
    Me (internal monologue): I'm not your ****ing buddy
    Me: There was a truck in the lane back there, I had to move out.
    Him: There wasn't a truck back there. You should stay in the cycle lane.
    Me (int.): Would you like to get out of your car and come back and have a look?)
    Me: I stay in the cycle lane when I can and it's safe-
    Him: *rolls up window*
    Me (int.): Screw you buddy! Have you ever been hit by a car door? I bloody doubt it.
    Me: *sighs*

I'm buying a helmet cam. Even though it means I'll have to start wearing a helmet.

Starting a new job on Monday (just left one having completed the grand total of 13 days at work), commute is doubling increasing to the nice distance of 14kms each way. I'll need to get from O'Connell Bridge to Fairview, anyone have any suggestions for a decent route there? I'm thinking the junctions around the Custom House and Amiens Street may be a bit busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What about the Joycean route: along the quays to East Wall Road, then turn along East Wall Road and follow it along to Poplar Row and turn north for Fairview Park? (Mind you, I don't like cycling on the quays, but at least there's a bus/bicycle lane.)

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »
    Starting a new job on Monday (just left one having completed the grand total of 13 days at work), commute is doubling increasing to the nice distance of 14kms each way. I'll need to get from O'Connell Bridge to Fairview, anyone have any suggestions for a decent route there? I'm thinking the junctions around the Custom House and Amiens Street may be a bit busy.

The junctions by Liberty Hall and behind the Custom House can be a little intimidating if you're not sure where to go/what lane. I don't find it that bad now, but maybe a run through when it's quieter and you're not on a deadline would be a good idea.

Amiens St needs some assertive positioning, but once the bus lane starts (after Buckingham St) it's a straight and easy run.

What about the Joycean route: along the quays to East Wall Road, then turn along East Wall Road and follow it along to Poplar Row and turn north for Fairview Park? (Mind you, I don't like cycling on the quays, but at least there's a bus/bicycle lane.)

Yeah that's my plan B! I used to work up that way and used to go that way. 1.4kms more, wouldn't be too bad more. What's it like turning right at Annesley Bridge?
    buffalo wrote: »
    The junctions by Liberty Hall and behind the Custom House can be a little intimidating if you're not sure where to go/what lane. I don't find it that bad now, but maybe a run through when it's quieter and you're not on a deadline would be a good idea.

Amiens St needs some assertive positioning, but once the bus lane starts (after Buckingham St) it's a straight and easy run.

Yeah it can be tricky even when driving! I'm scouting it out by google maps at the moment.

Yeah it can be tricky even when driving! I'm scouting it out by google maps at the moment.

It's a bit simpler when the traffic is gridlocked tbh, you don't have to worry about merging. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I go that way and will head down Amiens St mostly. It can be a bit Zombieland down there at times so you need to keep your eyes peeled as they tend to walk without looking. There's a pinch point at the Store St corner of Busaras so move out and take the lane if possible beforehand. In heavy traffic beware right turners heading for Buckingham St.
    The route out the quays is quieter usually. Just assert yourself at the bridge beside the IFSC and the one past the Sam Beckett Bridge and you'll be grand. The road surface around East Wall is poor enough.

Yeah that's my plan B! I used to work up that way and used to go that way. 1.4kms more, wouldn't be too bad more. What's it like turning right at Annesley Bridge?

I don't know that turn. Main attraction of that route for me is that you're cycling by flowing water virtually all the way: the Liffey, the Tolka, the Royal Canal.

But come to think of it, wouldn't you be turning at Poplar Row? The beautiful Newcomen Bridge?

• Advertisement

I don't know that turn. Main attraction of that route for me is that you're cycling by flowing water virtually all the way: the Liffey, the Tolka, the Royal Canal.

I think you want the "Kayak Commuting" subforum. :D

buffalo wrote: »
    I think you want the "Kayak Commuting" subforum. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

425895_437967916244783_2090770563_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Are taxis allowed in the bus lane if they don't have a fare on board and are not on their way to a fare/call?

Had a Barney with a taxi driver in Santry a few months ago and he wasn't happy for me to tell him he shouldn't have been there either! Am I right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Are taxis allowed in the bus lane if they don't have a fare on board and are not on their way to a fare/call?

Had a Barney with a taxi driver in Santry a few months ago and he wasn't happy for me to tell him he shouldn't have been there either! Am I right?!

taxi may use lane as long as its available for hire. Althou as in many cases like a certain ryanair chief that wont stop them hard to police to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

now lombardia thread for tommorows race the final monumnet of season gilbert and contador favs wouldnt back either, some bets here;

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=403851

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

my friend got pulled over by a pedestrian guard and told to get off her bike yesterday morning for not having a bell on. she said she'd tip up to a shop and get one, he said she would not, she'd get off and walk. i would (stupidly probably) have taken the fine and gone to court. just a guard on a bad day i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Finally some nice weather outside, would be nice to go for a spin.

BUT! That pesky plasterboard won't attach itself to the walls and ceilings (lazy bugger). Can't wait when this whole renovation thing is done and dusted. Won't be touching a plasterboard sheet for a while after this.

Will be getting a plasterer in for the skim coat, can't bring myself to do it. Anyone knows a good plasterer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Did a measly 60k this morning. My legs have just stopped working for no logical reason. I think I freewheeled all the way home from Glencree.

I need a break from this road bike thing. Mountain Biking is easy, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Finally some nice weather outside, would be nice to go for a spin.

BUT! That pesky plasterboard won't attach itself to the walls and ceilings (lazy bugger). Can't wait when this whole renovation thing is done and dusted. Won't be touching a plasterboard sheet for a while after this.

Will be getting a plasterer in for the skim coat, can't bring myself to do it. Anyone knows a good plasterer?

Peter North

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

endswell wrote: »
    my friend got pulled over by a pedestrian guard and told to get off her bike yesterday morning for not having a bell on. she said she'd tip up to a shop and get one, he said she would not, she'd get off and walk. i would (stupidly probably) have taken the fine and gone to court. just a guard on a bad day i hope

Download this on the spot, fix iPhone to bike. Boom:

Bike Bell App

mzl.vwvedbvn.320x480-75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Anyone have any idea whether or not this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83614 is rim brake compatible?

I've emailed them but they probably won't reply until Monday.

I have a loud bell, but drivers and pedestrians don't tend to notice it. What they do notice is the screech of my brakes (blocks set at a slight angle causes them to scream when applied).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I have a loud bell, but drivers and pedestrians don't tend to notice it. What they do notice is the screech of my brakes (blocks set at a slight angle causes them to scream when applied).

Where is it written in law that a bell is a legal requirement whilst you are on the bike and it is in motion?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Where is it written in law that a bell is a legal requirement whilst you are on the bike and it is in motion?

Here
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/cyclists/cyclists_roadworthy-bicycle.html

Can safely say the last time I had a bell on my bike was when I was 8..
    (that wasn't yesterday btw)

Lusk Doyle wrote: »

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0190.html
    PART VIII. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS.
    Pedal cycles.
    93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

(other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle)
    Does that mean road bikes aren't required to have a bell then? What if you add go-faster stripes to your High Nelly for commuter racing?

Does that mean road bikes aren't required to have a bell then? What if you add go-faster stripes to your High Nelly for commuter racing?

Try it, try it, I can recommend a good barrister :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Felt like a right idiot this afternoon. I'm busy with a new job and don't have that much time so dropped the commuter bike into the lbs for a tune-up. I collected it today while I was out for a walk with the missus.

I locked it up before we popped into the local LIDL. When we came out she went on ahead while I unlocked the bike. When I was done I hopped on and started to head for the exit. Pre tune-up the rear brake was ineffective so I used the front which was 'squishy' but perfectly safe to use.

Out of habit, in the LIDL car park I pulled on the front brake and..... WHOOSH.... I came flying off the bike. Thankfully it wasn't at any sort of pace but I must have looked like a right old plonker as there was no car, no pedestrian...... nothing that would have made me come off the bike. Nothing but sheer stupidity.

The front brake is if anything a little too sensitive so I must see if I can 'de-tune' it to the state it was in before the bike went for a service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement