Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Lumen wrote: »
    @AdMMM: clean your rims and pads, maybe abrade the pads a bit with sandpaper, nutmeg grater or something to break the surface in a bit.

Do you usually get the Butler to do it for you?

In downtown abbey one refers to them as "the help". Isn't that right my dear lord lumen?

Cutting it very fine with my new winter tyres - there's less than 1mm clearance! :D

CIMG1266.jpg

Are you riding a portal frame shed? That yoke is bleeding humongous looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Junior wrote: »
    I've invested in Swiss Top Greens, I think they do a Black set as well which is also for alu rims. Well worth it.

also swear by green after the trip to france excellent braking, think their ok on alu wheels, i think yellow is fro carbon wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

the amount of braking distance they shave off in the green

Unfortunately they shave off more than braking distance. They fairly eat your rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They fairly eat your rims.
    ....and your wallet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service. We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover
    222211.jpg
    http://memex.naughtons.org/archives/2012/09/24/17121

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ROK ON wrote: »
    Various cheese garrottes,

Can you not kill more than one cheese with the same garrotte?

Not a big fan of nutmeg, but do have a couple of mezzalunas, mortars and pestles, and a dedicated spice grinder for preparation of my favourite curries. Also a patato ricer, which is a most glorious invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

smacl wrote: »
    Can you not kill more than one cheese with the same garrotte?

Not a big fan of nutmeg, but do have a couple of mezzalunas, mortars and pestles, and a dedicated spice grinder for preparation of my favourite curries. Also a patato ricer, which is a most glorious invention.

It is it is it is. Best thing for making mashed turnips.

+1 for nixing cruelty to cheeses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

^^^^^^^^^
    222219.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nutmeg graters, potato ricers, cheese wires.......how very bourgeois!

This is what you should be using.....:)

rape_truffes_gd.jpg

• Advertisement

I have
    Nutmeg grater,
    Walnut cracker,
    Oyster shucker,
    Pineapple corer.

They have all been used. How do people prepare food without these essential utensils?

No mezzaluna? I've two - a single-bladed one (bit of an heirloom) and a double bladed one :)

Cheese garrotte

cheese_wire.jpg

Evil. Wrong. What would cheeses do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm presuming you're all in Orwell?

buffalo wrote: »

Not me, I failed the blood test - not blue enough! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

buffalo wrote: »

Not I, though given the excellent home made nosh on recent orwell randonees, it's a fair association. Certainly not IVCA if WW200 grub is anything to go by ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

One of my workmates is from Lithunia. At break he came back from the shop with ,amongst other things , a bottle of Ribena with extra good stuff. He didn't realise that it had to be diluted with water.
    He opened the botttle and took a huge swig which he then promptly spat straight back out and shouted 'VWAT DA FOOK'
    I cracked up laughing and told him he needed to go back to the shop and get some water.
    'NO. I have tea in my flask.' He then proceeded to pour a cup of tea and pour some Ribena into the cup. He nearly spat it back out but stubborness forced him to drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

I have
    Nutmeg grater,
    Walnut cracker,
    Oyster shucker,
    Pineapple corer.

They have all been used. How do people prepare food without these essential utensils?

A tin opener?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have
    Nutmeg grater,
    Walnut cracker,
    Oyster shucker,
    Pineapple corer.

Not sure, but somehow the butler manages fine.

I think my favourite of the many gadgets in the kitchen is the garlic chopper:

Garlic-Chopper-on-Wheels-3.jpg

Great for chopping the large amount of garlic I use in a dipping sauce with olive or sunflower oil, balsamico, a dash of sesame oil, soya sauce and orange or lemon juice. Very yum poured over chicken or roasty vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@Qualitymark, I hope you make "Vroom, VROOOOM" noises as you use that.

• Advertisement

doozerie wrote: »
    @Qualitymark, I hope you make "Vroom, VROOOOM" noises as you use that.

Oh now you know all my secrets.

And Beep-beeeep, too.

Garlic-Chopper-on-Wheels-3.jpg

@ Qualitymark - there is something wrong with your chess board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The most useful item in the kitchen; the pizza wheel. Away with your nutmeg crunchers etc...

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does anyone have any of that Skins gear? Is it any use for cycling?

awec wrote: »
    Does anyone have any of that Skins gear? Is it any use for cycling?

Yes, and no (in my case anyway) - works very well as a light baselayer though, beyond that it's not much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BX 19 wrote: »
    The most useful item in the kitchen......
    .........the microwave oven!.

I fit into the "can't cook, won't cook" category. If it can't be microwaved, I go hungry or have to eat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A recent e-mail from my daughter's creche talks about biting, and includes the paragraph: "Toddlers have very limited language skills. Consequently, biting is a way to register a complaint."

Replace "Toddlers" with "Cranky dogs"/"Commuters"/"Noisy neighbours"/"People"/etc., and "biting" with, well, just about anything really, and you have what seems like a good description of daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Does anyone have Hotpoint appliances? Are they any good? They have great energy ratings at good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Does anyone have Hotpoint appliances? Are they any good? They have great energy ratings at good prices.

We've a hotpoint fridge and tumbly dryer. They both work. And have done for several years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »

Is this an austerity drive in Castle Monti?

Bosch FTW!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement