Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone ever used one of the Topeak quick release pannier type racks?

Any use?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Forgot to put my rear mudguard back on after Saturdays race, realised about 5 minutes after leaving the house. The most valuable lesson I've learnt since starting to commute by bike is to ALWAYS have a spare pair of knickers in your locker. Phew. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

awec wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used one of the Topeak quick release pannier type racks?

Any use?

Sorry, forgot to reply to your pm ! They are decent. You can fit a fair bit onto them, they'll take up to 10kg. I didn't like it though because when you start pedaling hard, the whole back of the bike starts to sway. I haven't used rigid panniers before, so this might just be the default behavior, not limited to the QR one.

For just bringing stuff into and out of work though, if you don't like a backpack, it's very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Forgot to put my rear mudguard back on after Saturdays race, realised about 5 minutes after leaving the house. The most valuable lesson I've learnt since starting to commute by bike is to ALWAYS have a spare pair of knickers in your locker. Phew. :pac:

go commando into work ,solves all those problems:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1-088-e1339836056729.jpg
    kk-057-e1339836397239.jpg

25th anniversary Stephen Roche jersey, €85.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bit pricey but I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bit pricey but I like it

Look at all those bands. Couldn't you only wear this if you were world champion and won the giro and the tdf tho?

Is a nice top tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

IMAG0003_1.jpg

Spotted this "guerilla marketing" campaign on Parnell Street. I wonder if they'd lend you a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Ha I saw this yesterday as well, got a good laugh at the phonetic spelling!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Had my first 'crash' today, naturally into a parked car while going roughly 18kmh. Definition of stupid I think! Lost one bar-end and my front brake is rubbing...Perfect way to try out the new Lidl bike stand I suppose :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had my first 'crash' today, naturally into a parked car while going roughly 18kmh. Definition of stupid I think! Lost one bar-end and my front brake is rubbing...Perfect way to try out the new Lidl bike stand I suppose :(

Didn't think the Lidl stand would hold a car!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

hardCopy wrote: »
    Didn't think the Lidl stand would hold a car!

Car was fine! I think my left knee took the place of the crumple zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Anyone else got caught in that torrential rain in Dublin?:eek:
    Up there with the heaviest downpour I've cycled in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Crow92 wrote: »
    Anyone know who/what race/leisure event went through dublin city today? Load of road bikes and lycra with a gardai van taking the front.

ANyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hanley wrote: »
    ANyone?

It's my commute complete with lead car and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

doozerie wrote: »
    Was in my back garden a few minutes ago and was attacked by a gang of midges. They looked a lot like the gang of midges that attacked me while cycling along Cruagh Road on Thursday night. Clearly the survivors followed me home. Beware, the dumbest insects in creation (why do you crawl into my eyes, you know you'll die in there right, having achieved no greater a feat in life than seriously f'ckin annoying me?) are getting organised. Be afraid, be very afraid.

reminded me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHLTKGyJ58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

buffalo wrote: »
    ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk you Garmin!

Four stages raced. How many actually recorded properly? A single ****ing stage.

Found my Garmin500 in the spare shoes that I was going to bring to the race. doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Crow92 wrote: »
    Anyone else got caught in that torrential rain in Dublin?:eek:
    Up there with the heaviest downpour I've cycled in.

Yep - at the start of my ride out to a race up near Drogheda. Luckily it wasn't cold so I was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Reading the bicycle and city traffic 1992 atm, just got it out of the library in college. I'll probably spout off any interesting facts I read in it over the next few days.

Fact 1:
    Bicycles consume less energy per passenger mile(ppm) than any other mode of transport. (Lowe 1990)
    Cycling:35 calories ppm.
    Walking:100 Calories ppm.
    Driving (1 occupant): 1,860 Calories ppm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Well.. I haven't seen this before on a tube LOL

211563.JPG

Got a slow puncture, so took the tube out to see what's going on, I pump it up and started getting this.. funny :D

Edit.. and it gets better..

211571.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Well.. I haven't seen this before on a tube LOL

211563.JPG

Got a slow puncture, so took the tube out to see what's going on, I pump it up and started getting this.. funny :D

Edit.. and it gets better..

211571.JPG

what sort of fancy tubes are blue?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They're latex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Astramonti will soon be available for kids parties. Ballon animals are his speciality. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lightweight tubes yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Not super light, they are around 80gr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Not super light, they are around 80gr.

Can you patch them like butyl tubes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

BX 19 wrote: »
    Can you patch them like butyl tubes?
    no, I read somewhere you can use old latex tubes, cut a piece off as a patch and use carpet adhesive as a vulcaniser.

youre not supposed to pump those tubes past 15psi outside a tyre, its normal for them to make funny shapes like that but I think it might weaken the tube and be a potential problem in future use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I might fit michelin latex tubes this week, I remember noticing lower rolling resistance and less road vibration last time I had them but I had upgrade tyres at the same time too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

no, I read somewhere you can use old latex tubes, cut a piece off as a patch and use carpet adhesive as a vulcaniser.

I've patched several latex tubes exactly as I would butyl. Works just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's finding the hole that's the problem. Any time I flat with latex its always these microscopic cuts that self seal below certain pressures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement