Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

How Franck Cammas the leader of the Volvo Ocean Race and his crew relax...

The boats are due in Galway on July 3rd for the finale of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lumen wrote: »
    Unless I've misunderstood, doozerie's debate happened within the confines of his own skull. :D

I did actually say to her that the trailer had a roll cage and was safer than any other form of bicycle transport, and she did indeed ignore me - an impressive feat given that I was only a couple of feet away from her so I wasn't easy to ignore.

The bit that played itself out only inside my head, unfortunately, was the scene of my daughter doing her Tasmanian Devil impression on yer wan, which was a shame. I even had a line prepared for the moment when my daughter would have had yer wan in a full nelson - "Where's *your* helmet god now, be-aitch!". Sadly, the opportunity didn't arise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Should I get my self a road bike and start cycling?

All views appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Holyboy wrote: »

No, cycling's gay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Holyboy wrote: »

Nah, you wouldn't like it. Although your hoopy ears are probably pretty aero.

• Advertisement

No, cycling's gay.

That's what I thought but I need to replace the very bad things in my life with some thing else very soon and seeing as I'm in the trade it seems to make sense!

Nah, you wouldn't like it. Although your hoopy ears are probably pretty aero.

I'm not so sure, they whistle at speed.

Chatattack, I'm not trying to re-start the helmet debate and make the camper van no fun for anyone. This is because I don't actually have anything to say about the helmet debate that hasn't already beeen said and given the lenght and depth of previous helmet debates it seems unlikely that you do either so if we don't already agree at this stage we're probably not going to, and that's ok. A little bit of disagreement is good every now and then.

What I am raising issue with, as someone who has dabbled (albeit only briefly) in statistics during my academic career is the piece quoted below where you accuse the opposition of relying on 'sketchy statistical analysis' and then cite a 'sample study of 1' to support your views, which is pretty much the definition of statistically sketchy.
    chakattack wrote: »
    the driver psychology/safety in numbers argument has very little real evidence aside from some arguably sketchy statistical analysis.

My sample of 1 study has shown twice that...

Can I just say. OH HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD, WOMAN OF JOESPH, HOST OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, VEHICLE OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. FORGIVE US FOR THIS MOST MALLIFICIENT TRANSGRESSION OF ALL THAT IS JUST AND RIGHT AND PURE IN THE WORLD. Billions of blue blistering barnacles there is wrong and there is wrong and then there’s just holding your head in your hand, putting on your frown face and wailing to all the gods and demons and spirits and ghosts and talismens in Christendom and beyond for some small, smidgeoning slice of forgiveness. Some crimes are too great, too far beyond our comprehension of wickedness, too massively depraved to ever merit pardon. But within this subset of unparalleled evil acts is a consortium of wrong so great so as to exceed our human capacity for punishment. All that remains is to wish for undoing.

I am stumped, flabbergasted, shocked, appalled and simply exhausted by what I have seen here.

But then again, it's possible I have an unreasonably low tolerance for poor science.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But then again, it's possible I have an unreasonably low tolerance for poor science.

If a man walks up to you in the street and punches you in the face, do you ask him to do it again for the sake of statistical significance?

If a man walks up to you in the street and punches you in the face, do you ask him to do it again for the sake of statistical significance?

Yeah, I have a problem...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah, I have a problem...
    You would certainly have a problem as that would constitute an invalid sample given you would have influenced the outcome ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No, cycling's gay.

Gay is good though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

In his book Innumeracy, the mathematician John Allen Paulos tells a story about a statistician who, knowing the odds of a bomb on a plane were very slight and the odds of two bombs much slighter still, would carry a bomb every time he flew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

AstraMonti wrote: »
    http://boingboing.net/2009/03/19/verizon-doesnt-under.html

This is amazingly hilarious. The guys on the phone can not understand the difference between 0,002 cents and 0,002 dollars.

Speaking of Innumeracy, this Verizon tale reminded me of another story in the book, where a student who was asked to calculate hair growth in miles per hour said it couldn't be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Mix-ups like that happen to the best of them

Bike lockers now available in parts of Dublin. Interesting idea, though I wonder whether you'd have trouble with storing a bike with a full length rear mudguard.

bike.jpg

Edit: Oops, already covered in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Has there been a Boards Fantasy League done up on Velogames for this years TDF?

I can't find anything and someone normally has one set up by now.

Vélo wrote: »
    Has there been a Boards Fantasy League done up on Velogames for this years TDF?

I can't find anything and someone normally has one set up by now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79342746&postcount=48

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tinkoff are back, sponsoring Saxo Bank this time, leading to a big change to their kit.

saxo_tinkoff_jersey_600.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Theres a new Garmin kit as well (Sharp additional title sponsors) no pics as yet that I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

saxo_tinkoff_jersey_600.jpeg

i dont know what i tinkoff that top.

Too much yellow. Got no respec'.

Hmm, two banks funding real estate on the same jersey. What could possibly go wrong? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Jawgap wrote: »
    When I worked in a lab in California, we were under strict instructions to use metric for all measurements, I assume to avoid this sort of expensive gaffe. I think the only non-metric allowed was psi for gas pressure (I was working with gas chromatography).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

doozerie wrote: »
    Bike lockers now available in parts of Dublin. Interesting idea, though I wonder whether you'd have trouble with storing a bike with a full length rear mudguard.

bike.jpg

Edit: Oops, already covered in this thread

Did you photoshop out the Hi-Viz and helmet? The other thread has a bib and helmet in the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Jawgap wrote: »
    When I worked in a lab in California, we were under strict instructions to use metric for all measurements, I assume to avoid this sort of expensive gaffe. I think the only non-metric allowed was psi for gas pressure (I was working with gas chromatography).

Ain't that fancy for farting?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Let the head rule the heart and went to bed on Friday night without bidding on this.
    Never again, I say, I say...NEVER AGAIN! :mad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-BMC-Team-Machine-SLR01-Carbon-Road-Frameset-53cm-/230810567423?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item35bd61c2ff

A $4000 frame for $1525 :(

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

2011 BMC Road Racer SL01 on adverts for €800 if your interested

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/bmc-full-carbon-road-bike-frameset/1704455

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Too big, but thanks for the heads up.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭tonycombat

cyclingsamara001-53.jpg

This discussion has been closed.