Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The handy Tools/Gadgets to have in an Apocalypse Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

aaakev wrote: »
    Would 35lb draw be enough for hunting large animals if it came to having no choice?
    It would do for smaller game like rabbits and birds, I wouldn't like to try taking on a boar or deer with one though. 45lb would be the minimum, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I fully aggree with you there. At least a 40lb draw for hunting big game, but until I get used to shooting a bow, a 35-40-50 or 60lb draw won't be any used to me either way!! I've a machete, but I ain't heading out to no jungles till I'm sure of not chopping off any toes ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Would 35lb draw be enough for hunting large animals if it came to having no choice?
    I like to hide in or around the dead carcass of my kills till another prey comes along, like this

Yea, easy kills. Don't forget to scream as loud as you can, it freezes them.

Or sometimes I'll "run" away up into trees from bears, zombies or dirtbags after my gobag and then drop my knife and let gravity do the work, like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I like to hide in or around the dead carcass of my kills till another prey comes along, like this

Yea, easy kills. Don't forget to scream as loud as you can, it freezes them.

Or sometimes I'll "run" away up into trees from bears, zombies or dirtbags after my gobag and then drop my knife and let gravity do the work, like this
    35lbs is about right for squirrels mind you. :p

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

+1 on the minimum of 40lbs. You'd want to have a broadhead on the arrow if you were to go after any type of larger game anyway.... might have to be careful with this thread as bow hunting game in Ireland is a big no no. As far as I know you can bowfish, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Doc Ruby wrote: »

If your after small game the best bet is to have a few G5's on hand to stop through and throughs, like these.

image_zps149fe6ad.jpg

If you don't have them on hand and don't want to spend an hour looking for a Broad Head, you can unscrew the tip and tag the game in short distances.
    Under Irish law it is not illegal to own or posses Broad Heads or G5's, but you could and should expect the full extent of the law to come down on you if you hunt with them. *If you are wanting a few different types of Heads/tips you should stick to one weight i.e. 100g or 125g, so that in the field your not having to adjust shots, you do what you have trained to do.

* I mention this in the context of this forum and thread in general, I know it's illegal to hunt animals in Ireland with a bow and so should everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Scego

Deerhound wrote: »
    For somebody interested in getting a bow on a budget and is handy at DIY you should check out this guy on YouTube. Some of his stuff is on my to do list.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/backyardbowyer?feature=results_main

(Putting this in the Online Resources Sticky also)

Has anyone ever found any of that Schedule 40 PVC or equivalent in Ireland?

As far as I could gather, my local builders supply only stock the thinner walled pipe which is grand for building but brittle for bows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ya cant beat a pair of meindls, that system is class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

canadian+girls+dont+mess+with+them+eh+motivational+posters+hot+hunny+web+sites+motivationalpostersonline.blogspot.com+nude+naked+babes+advertising.jpg A good woman who knows how to hunt and chop logs in case I get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

canadian+girls+dont+mess+with+them+eh+motivational+posters+hot+hunny+web+sites+motivationalpostersonline.blogspot.com+nude+naked+babes+advertising.jpg A good woman who knows how to hunt and chop logs in case I get injured.
    Dirty.... She's all yours!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That Well something similar has been out for years here is the original

http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL%20STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

grapeape wrote: »
    That Well something similar has been out for years here is the original

http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL%20STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

I hope I look as good as the gent in the picture when the SHTF :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

The Bahco 2448 Chisel Knife and its bother the Bahco 2449 Curved Blade Wrecking Knife look like handy tools where a tough blade is needed.

BAHSB2448-228x228.jpg2-013W_M.jpg

You can see most of what I would say from the info on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-BAH2448-2448-Chisel-Knife/dp/B003ASVQP2 & http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-2449-SB-2449-Curved-Wrecking/dp/B006XBV1EO/ but you need to handle one to see the full potential. The back of the blade is very heavy and designed to be hit so would make a good log splitter with a suitable hammer (or just another bit of wood).

I've seen the chisel version in a local hardware shop (not priced) and when I've found the best price I'll be adding one to my kit. 20 and a bit euros doesn't seem to bad.

I know there are better survival knives about and I have a good few knives but none I'd want to be using regularly in the way that this one is designed for. It could also be reground if you wanted a different shape. The weight is quite low and with other tools like a folding saw it would help make part of a handy tool kit. A chisel is just as illegal to carry around as a knife but its a bit more defendable if you are stopped carrying it as part of a tool kit.

Note to Mods> If this fits in better with a pre-existing thread then feel free to move it.

Edit> Cheers for moving the post.
    Checked price in the local hardware and the Bahco 2448 Chisel Knife is €19.99 so I'll probably go back and get it there as I don't see much to be gained buying it online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

does anyone have one of these or know if they are robust and useful?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AXLUX2/?tag=047-20

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

does anyone have one of these or know if they re robust and useful?

I don't have one..... yet. I first heard of it about a year ago on a few American blogs and sites. They got some very good reviews and recommendations. I forgot to bookmark any pages and couldn't find it later.
    Intend to pick up some in the near future once the bills calm down a bit.

Didnt have that one but I had a couple of these ones for wheel barrows http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-H2go-Bag-80-Ltr-Water-Carrier-Container-For-Wheelbarrows-/251226024722?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item3a7e3ceb12
    and found them great really strong and reusable

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I go for the Swiss Army Cyber Tool, because I get a lot of the use out of the screwdrivers everyday its in my pocket all the time. I'd have a proper "knife" on top of that which I wouldn't be carrying around everyday.

I'd buy a leatherman but as I don't think I'd use it as much as I do the Cyber Tool I wouldn't have it with me all the time and I making use of items that you have with you all the time should be imo be part of your survival stratagy.

I have a leatherman CX for EDC for about 2 years now. I wouldn't leave home without it at this stage. I must use it at least 3 or 4 days of the week in work.

[OFFTOPICRANT] I forgot to take the accessories out of my bag last week and they stopped me bringing them in carry-on "They are bits for a tool" was their final answer after I queried them. In the end, they let me post them home, muppets[/OFFTOPICRANT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Sister used one during Hurrican Sandy, thought it was brilliant.

Chinese Military shovel looks like one tool for all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b60OZhrTB6o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Does anyone know if they are available over here? I have a waterbutt for the garden and would use the water from it for flushing a toilet. I also have some 5lt bottles of water that I keep since the pipes froze a few winters ago. But this would be a good thing to hold in reserve for drinking/cooking/washing water.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

eirator wrote: »
    The Bahco 2448 Chisel Knife and its bother the Bahco 2449 Curved Blade Wrecking Knife look like handy tools where a tough blade is needed.

BAHSB2448-228x228.jpg2-013W_M.jpg

You can see most of what I would say from the info on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-BAH2448-2448-Chisel-Knife/dp/B003ASVQP2 & http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-2449-SB-2449-Curved-Wrecking/dp/B006XBV1EO/ but you need to handle one to see the full potential. The back of the blade is very heavy and designed to be hit so would make a good log splitter with a suitable hammer (or just another bit of wood).

I've seen the chisel version in a local hardware shop (not priced) and when I've found the best price I'll be adding one to my kit. 20 and a bit euros doesn't seem to bad.

I know there are better survival knives about and I have a good few knives but none I'd want to be using regularly in the way that this one is designed for. It could also be reground if you wanted a different shape. The weight is quite low and with other tools like a folding saw it would help make part of a handy tool kit. A chisel is just as illegal to carry around as a knife but its a bit more defendable if you are stopped carrying it as part of a tool kit.

Note to Mods> If this fits in better with a pre-existing thread then feel free to move it.

Edit> Cheers for moving the post.
    Checked price in the local hardware and the Bahco 2448 Chisel Knife is €19.99 so I'll probably go back and get it there as I don't see much to be gained buying it online.
    Got the chisel one last week. Very handy on site anyway. Also razor sharp out of the box. Had masking tape on 2 fingers after the first day!!! €15 in heaton buckley in santry.
    2 tips.
    1. Don't lend it to your brother, he'll try to cut concrete with it(gob****e)
    2. Masking tape works miracles on cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

If it works as well as the instructions were translated from Chinese, you'd have a surefire winner.....

But for a few quid, it might be worth it as you can crank it to warm you up for the few hours your phone will need to charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Got the chisel one last week. Very handy on site anyway. Also razor sharp out of the box. Had masking tape on 2 fingers after the first day!!! €15 in heaton buckley in santry.
    2 tips.
    1. Don't lend it to your brother, he'll try to cut concrete with it(gob****e)
    2. Masking tape works miracles on cuts

Haha Yeah, they are incredibly sharp out of the box. I did the very same thing the first day I got mine. I was using it as a chisel for a while and went to grab it (forgetting about the knife part) and sliced a finger open. Blood pouring out of it for a while onto the snow covered scaffolding!
    I've had it about 1.5 years now and only use it as a rough chisel but it does the job nicely, it loses the extreme sharpness pretty quick but stays sharp enough for ages.
    The plastic sheath is handy for clipping on the belt too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I have what I suspect is the exact same one. Junk.
    turns fine until you put an electrical load on it. Then the plastic gears start slipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Added yet another stove to the home/camping bug in kit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Unleaded-Double-Burner-Stove/dp/B000QUIKX8 only difference is I picked it up in the UK for £27.99 :D, a miss priced item I'm sure but I wasn't going to question it ;)

Full price I'd have walked on by but a bargin like that has to be added to the, 3 parafin pressure stoves, 1 petrol stove, 3 trangias and 4 gas stoves we already have :o

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Advertisement