Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The handy Tools/Gadgets to have in an Apocalypse Thread...

Options
  • 14-10-2011 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

...or when the power goes.:pac:

Gas Camping Stove Grill

36-3402021SPA71UC545981M.jpg
    Crack open a few Tins of Spam you have hoarded and a few eggs and eat like a King.:)

And this...
    36-9278479SPA74UC691047M.jpg

for the Teaaaaa. I wonder does it whistle...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcDcm-eaDNjUuSF_9uK3So1Ftv0gjvmzIBntan5jK2Ozds8Zcg
    Lots of these. Oh and ram (no pun intended) the batteries out of another similar torch-like thing what ladies use and let there be light. For midnight raids/loots on local foodstores (prior to impending Doomsday) when all the rest have fled and only you and a small group of wait-it-outs remain.

You will also need these.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnDKrPVqlOXJ4rRBS8MDwijw3IsJIs5HH3rQ97QLkIXF3E5zrMLots of them

and images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvgD4QhWPP7LXz5hj3yJCuM-T1UIUKsteESTIIc3OaByBr1skiLots of it.

This is what to expect if 'the others' locate you images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiejgSn4iCh5J41LMmQ9rWWp_Q45KoUfV5KmPhWbzlzIlLOjY

so be prepared, take images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7BdqFK_TiQsy1y5yN2bdAGjH__xIGirRTs80z8-cVyYPVWyGO

Get yourself to the nearest images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGsLbnpOALE-aOwDxCcOdK9QUStSOmAc9yvRYWHQSesAnoNBxL6g

and failing that set your gps to images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMMBeZaNCFDtb3EyOGlWGbnxPOPXApfF0brmyDL4kAk-FLZMCY_g
    Lat 53.694567 Long-6.4463
    This place survived the economic crash. So if it can endure that it can survive anything.
    But if I'm there first....you're not getting in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Leatherman

leatherman_wave_black_1.jpg

If you have a rifle

101509od_leathermanmut02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

pix952689501.jpg

One of these might be fierce handy to help aquiring everything else too.:D
    TBH folks there will be plenty of stuff like pots&pans and other useful stuff left in abandoned houses.People loot the oddest things in times of crisis.What are you going to do with a 50in plasma TV if there is nothing on to watch???
    Food and actually everything that a Euro shop has now would be invalueable in the future post crunch time.One poster was saying disposeable razors.How much could you trade one of those for in the future??A euro in a euro store.Writing paper..How much would a deck of A4 be worth??needle and thread.All stuff thats cheap and worth throwing a few euros worth of in supplies.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I think people need to say what they are surviving? A camping stove, well that might be handy to survive a couple of weeks or even a month but what happens if the power doesn't come back on and you finally have go out looking for more gas?

For long term survival I'd be looking for more basic items that won't be available post apocalypse this Kelly Kettle would be classic and even fits into the gadget catagory.

170px-Kkettle.jpg

The only fuel it needs is dry twigs and afaik it will even work on camel dung.

And yes I have a gas camping stove (and 3 full gas bottles - thats at least 3 months supply), primus, optimus, trangia, tilley lamps, hurrican lamps and lots of fuel but I look at it this way sooner or later all those stoves that need bought fuel will be useless in a critical survival situation when supplies dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think people need to say what they are surviving? A camping stove, well that might be handy to survive a couple of weeks or even a month but what happens if the power doesn't come back on and you finally have go out looking for more gas?

For long term survival I'd be looking for more basic items that won't be available post apocalypse this Kelly Kettle would be classic and even fits into the gadget catagory.

The only fuel it needs is dry twigs and afaik it will even work on camel dung.

And yes I have a gas camping stove (and 3 full gas bottles - thats at least 3 months supply), primus, optimus, trangia, tilley lamps, hurrican lamps and lots of fuel but I look at it this way sooner or later all those stoves that need bought fuel will be useless in a critical survival situation when supplies dry up.

Kelly kettles are cool alright and work really well too heating the water quickly even when its windy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For ease of transport and above all else, low cost, the humble Swedish Army trangia stove should get a look in here too

g_army_trangia_set_olive.jpg

I'd put the trangia in the same catagory as a gas stove, it requires a specific fuel that is often difficult enough to get in Ireland and is a finite resourse. That said I would't be without one (or two :o).

I like to divide survival stuff into the immediate comfort use (often stuff you'd use when camping) and long term survival use and without fuel or batteries most gadgets come into the immediate comfort catagory as does this Propane fueled Coffee Maker
    2000008430_500.jpg

from the all time number one camping and survival ""gadget"" makers at www.colman.com

Edit>thats not to say all Coleman gadgets are good its just that they do seem to make a lot of them :).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's why you buy the stainless steel one and hey presto you have a billy can and a separate frying pan. :P For a an additional tenner, you could make a good hobo stove to keep everything compact and transportable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yeah the leatherman and the storm kettle were the first things that came to mind...I always need a cup of tea while I try to figure out what to do next.

Like the look of that army stove though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Don't forget the
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWp9ZhBWw_ZyYUHeVWbV3taihZBpiQgqh6Vwb9y4X99vp4t3Mi

and
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjB6diPE_01Zwgr7_cRZlhcMeksUGO0JnBv4ZSNDYlri75XHxE

It's not going to be all excitement and running around fighting raiders you know, expect epic amounts of boredom what with no X Factor or Come Dine with Me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

and
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjB6diPE_01Zwgr7_cRZlhcMeksUGO0JnBv4ZSNDYlri75XHxE

Come Dine with Me.

Could have a whole new meaning in a post apocalyptic world:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the Swiss Army Knife is a given on any list of survival essentials, however the Question is Which Variant

thisswiss-army-knife.jpg
    is the one I use, I carry one with me at all times and find it to be a most indespensable piece of kit.

its the right size and IMO has the corect set of tools for most basic situations ( the canopener bit is a bugger to use, but once you get used to it, its still a bugger of a thing but at least you can use the short blade to punch a hole in the can and cut it openthat way;)

However I have seen some people opt for the ludicrously large ones, these I find unwieldy and IMO if you cant grip it comfortably in your had it fails at its primary function of being a Knife

I go for the Swiss Army Cyber Tool, because I get a lot of the use out of the screwdrivers everyday its in my pocket all the time. I'd have a proper "knife" on top of that which I wouldn't be carrying around everyday.

I'd buy a leatherman but as I don't think I'd use it as much as I do the Cyber Tool I wouldn't have it with me all the time and I making use of items that you have with you all the time should be imo be part of your survival stratagy.

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Yeah the leatherman and the storm kettle were the first things that came to mind...I always need a cup of tea while I try to figure out what to do next.

Like the look of that army stove though.

Posters on the Survival & Self Sufficiency forum also bought http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_kw=army&_kw=trangia

Think you'll find one stainless steal one in there but not sure if the seller will deliver to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A beer/coke can, pen knife and a bottle of meths can make an exellent little pocket stove that can burn pretty much any fuel.Lot handier than alot of those kits and gadjets.Learn to cook out of a US Canteen cup,it will provide all the portions you need.Fits nicely onto the bottom of a std US GI water canteen along with its little esbrit tab stoves.
    Not dispraging gadjets folks,just remember you will have to possibly hump this stuff on your back to somplace safe,and if you are on a 3day hike to your retreat...I bet you will be dumping alot of the non essentials very quickly.This stuff is great if it is pre placed at yiour retreat,but I wouldnt want to be lugging it all the time.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

If you are prepared to make your own 'gadgets' - or practice primitive skills - this place is great:D

http://www.flybowshop.com/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.flybowshop.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Definitely prefer a Leatherman to a Swiss army knife, far better quality. The steel in SWA knives won't hold an edge.

slowburner wrote: »
    Definitely prefer a Leatherman to a Swiss army knife, far better quality. The steel in SWA knives won't hold an edge.

You definitely have a point there, thats why I'd carry the sak for the tools I use everyday that you don't get on a Leatherman and would have a knife that is a real knife (an essential not a gadget) with no fancy tools on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

I managed to break my Leatherman and had replacement through Petersons - Irish Agent - in two weeks (after returning broken one) with no quibbles. Excellent service and nice to see the lifetime guarantee is not just a sales pitch.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yeah I've made the beer can stoves before and they are great for a day or two hike, and handy when a bit of a Macgyver moment is needed.

Saying that I think I would put up with the extra few pounds in wieght for the longer term use of a Army type stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

The entire contents of this site :D

http://www.heinnie.com/default.asp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

When it comes to cooking in the wild in Ireland a set of mess tins, a means of lighting a fire and a small barbecue grill or a small oven tray will go a long way. There's heaps of fuel and stones lying about the place to set up your little fire and feed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Mess tins are a deffinate for me too, iv had mie since i was in the RDF and a hexi cooker to go with them. used together they are the handiest, lightest and most compact way off cooking. I spent days out on the ground living off ration packs cooked in them, vacume packed beans and sausage army issue ya cant beat it:p great for heating water too and if hexi tabs run out fire lighters can be used instead or as meathsteve said just pop em on the fire and away ya go!

One thing with mess tins, make sure ya clean them every time they are used and dont leave them too long because they can be a pain in the arse! that goes for anything really you use to cook over an open flame

Mess tins are a deffinate for me too, iv had mie since i was in the RDF and a hexi cooker to go with them. used together they are the handiest, lightest and most compact way off cooking. I spent days out on the ground living off ration packs cooked in them, vacume packed beans and sausage army issue ya cant beat it:p great for heating water too and if hexi tabs run out fire lighters can be used instead or as meathsteve said just pop em on the fire and away ya go!

One thing with mess tins, make sure ya clean them every time they are used and dont leave them too long because they can be a pain in the arse! that goes for anything really you use to cook over an open flame

If your cleaning the black soot off the bottom of mess tins then I always found if you give them a good scrub around on a patch of long wet grass as soon as you've finished using them thats half the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

+1 Managed to get a gucci set of teflon coated ones, makes cleaning them a hell of a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    +1 Managed to get a gucci set of teflon coated ones, makes cleaning them a hell of a lot easier!

any chance of a link to this product buddy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'd say an ould gazunder would be handy to have under the bed if your water supply was a bit limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

eth0 wrote: »
    I'd say an ould gazunder would be handy to have under the bed if your water supply was a bit limited.
    Sure would...or a weak bladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Kerosene Lamp
    Kerosene-Pressure-Lantern-No-950-909-975-999-.jpg

Tin Opener
    1295890976Te24Dm.jpg

& a good quality knife
    2945.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

a Kelly Kettle! great piece of kit!

Advertisement