Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

¿¿¿Fixies???

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Kootie_Kat wrote: »
    I think I would have to go Flip-Flop at first just to get a feel for the bike. had a good look over the weekend. Forgive the ignorance but there is a semi mountain bike version too, is that also a fixie or am I way off?
    I have seen fixed MTBs, but most go for a single-speed (i.e., with freewheel) as being more suitable for that pastime.
    Most fixed hubs are flip-flop; that is they have provision for a second cog or freewheel to be attached - but think of all that extra weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Interesting discussion, but I have one question that adds to the safety debate. How would you take a fast bend on a fixie without grounding the inside pedal?

There's one I have to negotiate with a negative camber that would be suicide to try and pedal around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rp wrote: »
    I have seen fixed MTBs, but most go for a single-speed (i.e., with freewheel) as being more suitable for that pastime.

I think you'd need a death wish and/or mad skillz to do fixed gear MTBing. Control over pedal position is fairly critical for MTB.

Two speed MTBing is a nice idea (one speed for up, one for down). For that there is the Hammerschmidt, but I've read end user reports that it is horribly draggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kootie_Kat

The MTB does seem to be very specialized and Im looking for a commuter bike. Whats a fair price to pay for a fixie?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Kootie_Kat wrote: »
    I think I would have to go Flip-Flop at first just to get a feel for the bike. had a good look over the weekend. Forgive the ignorance but there is a semi mountain bike version too, is that also a fixie or am I way off?

Yeah, I was the same. I bought a flipflop hub and a freewheel on the assumption that I would need a while to get used to riding fixed. I still haven't gotten around to putting the freewheel on, and I doubt I ever will. I do still have both brakes on the bike (not that I really need to use them), so I get looked down on for riding a hipster bike by the elite and looked down on by the hipsters too.

I just find it easier for riding around town on. (I take the road bike for the long spins). I also feel safer locking it up around town, mainly in the hope that if it is robbed then I'll most likely find the culprit on the ground at the next set of traffic lights. :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Interesting discussion, but I have one question that adds to the safety debate. How would you take a fast bend on a fixie without grounding the inside pedal?

There's one I have to negotiate with a negative camber that would be suicide to try and pedal around.
    Your only risk of hitting anything is if you get too close to the kerb - avoid it by giving yourself plenty of room

Beasty wrote: »
    Your only risk of hitting anything is if you get too close to the kerb - avoid it by giving yourself plenty of room

You're not cornering fast enough. :)

I've had pedal strike well away from a kerb.

You can lower the risk by using a bike with short cranks, a higher bottom bracket and/or low profile pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I never have pedal strike and I use 170mm cranks. kerbs can be a problem but if your pedal is too close to the kerb your putting yourself in danger, usually because a car is inside the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Thanks pete. Helpful as always.

The article was interesting. I see the advantages from a fitness point of view but I don't think I'd be too comfortable on a fixie. I'm a commuter cyclist mainly and occasionally go for long spins. I don't cycle for fitness - I get that from 3 weekly training sessions with my gaa club. For that reason, I don't mind being able to change gear when I encounter an ascent or the freewheel when I encounter a descent.

Different strokes, I guess.

I'm still not convinced about the high prices. I looked up another thread and smaller production runs seemed to be the best justification that I could find but fixies still seem to be poorer value to the end consumer. Theoretically, if we consider parts, materials and labour, they should be cheaper than a hybrid. I understand that products are worth what people are willing to pay but it doesn't make sense to pay more for less.

I'm still not convinced about the high prices. I looked up another thread and smaller production runs seemed to be the best justification that I could find but fixies still seem to be poorer value to the end consumer. Theoretically, if we consider parts, materials and labour, they should be cheaper than a hybrid.

You're only deleting two mechs, a chainring, shifters and some cable. These probably total under £50 on a hybrid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement