Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

¿¿¿Fixies???

Options
  • 14-10-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Whats the deal with these fixed wheel bikes (fixies)?
    I have seen a couple around and they look cool but are they worth the money?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you think they look cool, then you may already be too far gone to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You mean track cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OI OI OI OI
    Got on the train from Cambridgeshire
    Moved down to an East London flat
    Got a moustache and a low cut vest
    Some purple leggings and a sailor tat (twat)
    Just one gear on my fixie bike
    Got a +1 here for my gig tonight
    I play synth...
    We all play synth!
    20-20 vision, just a pair of empty frames
    Dressing like a nerd although I never got the grades (fail)
    I remember when the kids at school would call me names (tramp balls)
    Now we're taking over their estates!
    Woo-oo-oooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They are just regular bikes with a lots of bits missing.

What happens is this:
    A road bike worth €500 from a company such as Trek or Giant arrives at a hipster bike shop. The hipster then removes the rear cassette which has 7 cogs on it and replaces it with a single-cog cassette. He then does the same for the front cassette. Next he removes the gear shifters and cables.

Next, our hipster sees that maybe Trek or Giant provided handlebars that were too long. After temporarily removing the brake levers, he starts up an angle-grinder and removes 6 inches off either side of the handle bars.

When it's time to think about putting the brake levers back, the hipster decides that you don't really need your brakes and promptly removes the cables, brakes and levers.

Finally, it's time to come up with a price for the new bike. The calculation is as follows:

€500 bike - gears - brakes - handlebars = €1500.

It's a simple formula and if you don't understand it, you're just not hip enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

KTRIC wrote: »
    OI OI OI OI
    Got on the train from Cambridgeshire
    Moved down to an East London flat
    Got a moustache and a low cut vest
    Some purple leggings and a sailor tat (twat)
    Just one gear on my fixie bike
    Got a +1 here for my gig tonight
    I play synth...
    We all play synth!
    20-20 vision, just a pair of empty frames
    Dressing like a nerd although I never got the grades (fail)
    I remember when the kids at school would call me names (tramp balls)
    Now we're taking over their estates!
    Woo-oo-oooo!

"Say I work in media but I'm really on the dole" - also a fav line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Have we scared the OP off yet !! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

KTRIC wrote: »
    Have we scared the OP off yet !! :pac:

He's gone to buy leggings and get an anchor tat. Shops won't sell the bikes to you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

This fixie/hipster bashing is all a bit 2009 isnt it? Ive seen more and more 'norms'* riding fixies on my commute over the last 6 months...

*middle aged/high viz flapping/backpack wearing/utility cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kootie_Kat

scared me off? Not at all! Im a bit intrigued, although there seems to be a lot of animosity towards these bikes?

• Advertisement

Kootie_Kat wrote: »
    scared me off? Not at all! Im a bit intrigued, although there seems to be a lot of animosity towards these bikes?

The bikes are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There are cheap(ish) road bike geometry singlespeed/fixie machines available. Giant Bowery, Specialized Langster etc. They are a decent low maintenance option for commuting. They don't make you look cool though.

The ones that are supposed to make you look cool are a different story entirely. As a card-carrying middle-aged suburbanite, I can't tell you anything useful about them.

So what's the difference between Giant Bowery, Specialized Langster etc. singlespeed/fixie and the other one's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

They're good bikes for what they do. Simple and low maintenance.
    I just don't understand the pricing from a cost-of-materials plus labour perspective. The markup seems insane. Large markups remind me of the fashion industry which in turn makes me think that part of the price you pay for a fixie is for the right to say that you have a fixie.

The single gear idea is odd as well. I had a bmx when I was a kid with one gear. I could barely get up hills (Connemara's far from flat) and the top speed was pretty bad. I persume that fixies are meant for short duration, urban trips.

So what's the difference between Giant Bowery, Specialized Langster etc.

The spelling and the colour.

I believe most hipsters build, or at least claim to build their own bikes.

Or have some one steal one for them, which I've seen.
    Don't take this option.

So what's the difference between Giant Bowery, Specialized Langster etc. singlespeed/fixie and the other one's?

They are stock mass-produced machines. They have front and rear brakes and standard drop handlebars. They look more or less like road (racing) bikes without the gears.

The hipster efforts are often DIY projects built on old frames with custom paint jobs, narrow flat bars, no more than one brake etc. Largely built for style rather than function, although they can be nice simple urban runabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I persume that fixies are meant for short duration, urban trips.
    Not necessarily, but primarily. If you don't have a lot of undulating terrain, then you don't really need gears and they can just be a maintenance hassle that you don't need.
    Fixie proponents will also tell you that they're more efficient than derailleur gears because there's less power loss. Whether that makes a serious difference or not I don't know, but it would be of some benefit on longer touring rides across flatish terrain.

With the acquisition of pedals & shoes for my road bike I hope to be taking my singlespeed to the streets next week (if survives the test ride) so I'll let you know.

So would I be right in saying that other than the price the only difference is the handle bars?

So would I be right in saying that other than the price the only difference is the handle bars?

I don't even know what that means.

• Advertisement

You don't know a lot about bikes, do you?

Not looking at them now bit they more than likely have different chain sets, wheels, stems, headsets, cranks, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

This is what you're looking for I think :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The single gear idea is odd as well. I had a bmx when I was a kid with one gear. I could barely get up hills (Connemara's far from flat) and the top speed was pretty bad. I persume that fixies are meant for short duration, urban trips.

Depends on the rider.

Greyspoke did the National Hillclimb Champs on one gear a few weeks back.

That was apparently quite steep, average of 9.6% for 2.5km and and up to 16% in the final 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CianRyan wrote: »
    You don't know a lot about bikes, do you?

Ah come on, play nicely. It's Friday! :)

cheers 'Some fool' the bike is a beaut but a little out of my price range.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Trips like this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

cheers 'Some fool' the bike is a beaut but a little out of my price range.
    dont worry, Im sure a friend will arrive soon and post a link to a new select your custom affordable 'fixie' website..

(I could be wrong, maybe you're genuine)

I dont get it kumate? cheers Rp thats a classic video but whats the relation to 48 - 16?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I dont get it kumate? cheers Rp thats a classic video but whats the relation to 48 - 16?
    I had a hunch your OP was shill for a new fixie business, apologies if Im wrong

• Advertisement

48 tooth cog on the front, 16 on the back.
    It's the gear ratio, very important for fixed gear bikes.

Advertisement