Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

¿¿¿Fixies???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kootie_Kat

ha. In this economy! I wish, no I need a bike as im starting an internship and dont want to shell out for the bus everyday. Admittedly I like the look of the bike I saw but I dont want to spend on something I know nothing about.
    What's your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Completely depends on the bike, post it here and we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Kootie_Kat wrote: »
    ha. In this economy! I wish, no I need a bike as im starting an internship and dont want to shell out for the bus everyday. Admittedly I like the look of the bike I saw but I dont want to spend on something I know nothing about.
    What's your opinion?
    my opinion is dont buy a bike just because you like how it looks, research more and buy a bike you will actually use and get benefit from. If I was buying a branded fixed gear bike I'd get something from Wiggle or CRC on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

so whats wiggle or CRC? i like the fact of the fitness. @ Cian i just saw the bike on the street in Temple Bar. and how hard is it to ride a fix wheel?

• Advertisement

cheers VW 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

how hard is it to ride a fix wheel?

There are slightly more ways to die whilst riding a fixie, including catastrophic pedal strike and lethal trouser entanglement. And you can sever your fingers while working on it. Otherwise they're fine :)

so whats wiggle or CRC? i like the fact of the fitness. @ Cian i just saw the bike on the street in Temple Bar. and how hard is it to ride a fix wheel?

www.wiggle.co.uk
    www.chainreactioncycles.com

Ah, then it's like asking how long is a piece of string.
    There are good bikes and there are **** bikes, forget about how it looks 'till you understand what makes them good or ****.

What's the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I would suggest that anyone considering a fixie should first take a spin on their intended route using a geared bike. If they don't change gear once, then go for the fixie. I commute in 'flat Dublin', but I like having the option of shifting up or down depending on just how flat the section I'm on is.
    As to the hipster angle, I think they've moved on to old 80s racers with downtube shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

im starting an internship

Remember to ask lots of questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I would suggest that anyone considering a fixie should first take a spin on their intended route using a geared bike. If they don't change gear once, then go for the fixie. I commute in 'flat Dublin', but I like having the option of shifting up or down depending on just how flat the section I'm on is.
    As to the hipster angle, I think they've moved on to old 80s racers with downtube shifters.

Yes indeed it seems they are moving on to old road bikes, I for one support this move,it pains me every time I see an old steel frame with a SS wheel fitted and stays jammed together. IT WAS MADE WITH 126/130mm SPACING FOR A REASON....GEARS! Then theres the frames with the hanger cut off, that actually makes me cry on the inside:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just get a single speed instead. I've gotten a lot fitter riding my single speed (48 - 16) compared to my Giant FCR4. Powering up hills is fun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

seamus wrote: »
    Not necessarily, but primarily. If you don't have a lot of undulating terrain, then you don't really need gears and they can just be a maintenance hassle that you don't need.

I agree. I don't understand why my Trek has 21 when I only use 3 gears:

One for 45 degree inclines which is rarely used.
    One for taking off at the lights - 2 down from highest cadence.
    And one for cruising - highest cadence.

I would actually like to have one cog on the front cassette and 3 at the back.

seamus wrote: »
    With the acquisition of pedals & shoes for my road bike I hope to be taking my singlespeed to the streets next week (if survives the test ride) so I'll let you know.

Best of luck. I'm curious as to how quickly you can take off from the lights and whether or not it will allow you to overtake a car doing 30-35 kph.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Best of luck. I'm curious as to how quickly you can take off from the lights and whether or not it will allow you to overtake a car doing 30-35 kph.

Once you get your arse out of the saddle you'll be up to speed in no time. And 35kph is no problem. 43kph is where i would max out with my gearing on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

rp wrote: »
    Trips like this one?
    Those lads came fourth out of four. While it's impressive, I think that doing it on a fixie is as sensible as doing it a tricycle. Sure, you can do it, but there are better bikes for the job.

Still, it was an amazing feat. Then again, so would going it on a trike.

I'm not trying to diss the fixies but I'm trying to gauge what they are good for and what their weaknesses are. Other posters have helped inform me but I'm still not too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Hmmm, I too am curious about these things. I've spent the last couple of hours researching them and from what I can tell they are a type of child's toy built by Fisher Price™ They are similar to (but not to be confused with) bicycles. I tried to find a picture of one but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. I think one of these is a fixie but it's confusing since they are built from the same material and have the same gear ratio.

neon_blt1.jpg

barbie%20barbie%20bike%20800%20x%20600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭mediwheel

I have a nice fixie for sale a Giant Bowery in red if interested ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

CianRyan wrote: »
    I believe most hipsters build, or at least claim to build their own bikes.

Or have some one steal one for them, which I've seen.
    Don't take this option.

hipsters dont build bikes sure they can barely cycle the shaggin things

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Aside from all the richly deserved hipster slights, you're far more likely to break your teeth on a fixie. If you're gonna get one make sure it has a flip-flop hub so that you can change to single speed after you get sick of the face plants. Fixies really do take a LOT of getting used to.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I believe most hipsters build, or at least claim to build their own bikes.

Or have some one steal one for them, which I've seen.
    Don't take this option.

hipsters dont build bikes sure they can barely cycle the shaggin things

Hence, "claim to".

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

coolbeans wrote: »
    Aside from all the richly deserved hipster slights, you're far more likely to break your teeth on a fixie. If you're gonna get one make sure it has a flip-flop hub so that you can change to single speed after you get sick of the face plants. Fixies really do take a LOT of getting used to.

Ah I think you're being slightly disingenuous there - you get used to them fairly easily and it is an enjoyable sensation once you do get used to it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I'm not trying to diss the fixies but I'm trying to gauge what they are good for and what their weaknesses are. Other posters have helped inform me but I'm still not too impressed.
    Sorry if my reply was not helpful. Let me try and fix that.

Why do I use a fixie for my main commuting tool? Main reason is simplicity - less things to go wrong, especially on cold and wet commutes. I started off commuting with a bike recommended by the LBS, a deraillier geared hybrid. After a couple of years I got fed up with the high maintenance gears and switched to a Rohloff geared Thorn (I was commuting across one of the hilliest cities in Europe: Luxembourg).

Back in Ireland, commuting in and out of Dublin, there didn't seem much point in all those gears (and weight), so I simplified my life with a steel framed On One Pompino: equipped with mudguards, rack, front brake, 60lux LED and hub dynamo. This bike just works.

Performance wise, it has quite high gearing (48/13), but my commute only climbs 200m each way (the rise and fall of the N4), so I average 45mins for the 25km commute (inc. red lights). It'll spin out at about 65kph (gentle downhill), but on the flat sprinting 55kph is possible. Every journey feels like a full body work out, as I spend a good amount of time out of the saddle pulling on the bars (if I get into a Silly Commuter Race with a gearie, if I get ahead, it is nearly always on the uphills, go figure...). The best compliment I've had commuting was: "when I saw you on that fixie, I laughed: I'm not laughing now"

I also have a carbon framed, Ultegra equipped road bike for summer weekends, but that is just a toy, just for fun. The fixie is my first choice.

Oh yeah, and did anyone mention: it's a Zen thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Performance wise, it has quite high gearing (48/13), but my commute only climbs 200m each way (the rise and fall of the N4), so I average 45mins for the 25km commute (inc. red lights). It'll spin out at about 65kph (gentle downhill), but on the flat sprinting 55kph is possible.

48:13? Thats just silly.
    for a keirin race it would be fine, but not for commuting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Works for me. Anyway, here's my 'Kirin' race bike:
    3975014910_301a005768.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

coolbeans wrote: »

i don't think it's that bad, is it, although I hear James has minimum two fixie teenagers in their every week (source: clubmate whos OH works in there)

I use 48:13 for commuting around Dublin but then again, I hate my knees :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Performance wise, it has quite high gearing (48/13)
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I use 48:13 for commuting around Dublin but then again, I hate my knees :P

Jaysus lads, I was on 44/16 until now and recently threw on an 18, massive difference between gearing on here i suppose it's down to your style and respect for your knees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Works for me. Anyway, here's my 'Kirin' race bike:
    3975014910_301a005768.jpg

Pffft, slack chain!

• Advertisement

I think I would have to go Flip-Flop at first just to get a feel for the bike. had a good look over the weekend. Forgive the ignorance but there is a semi mountain bike version too, is that also a fixie or am I way off?

Advertisement