Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Bargains [No Off-Topic Chat - See Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

The Large 1L bottles of Smirnoff are 20 euro. Bargain.. saves you a tenner.
    There are cracking deals on Carlsberg as well. 1 euro a tin. In the 8 for 8 . There was some class of world beer in there last night. Big 500ml bottle with red writing. I cant remember the name. I had a bottle. Its lovely. Was 1 euro. Tons of the stuff in stock.
    I see people giving out abit. But I challenge them to find a cheaper place local to buy alcohol. As far as I know, Tesco sell these deals at a loss to get you in the door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

smccarrick wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous, if its true. They mailshot over 150,000 homes with those price news brochures. They have sold it @ 20 in the past- they even sold it at 17.50 at Christmas (and the Baileys @ 12). Very poor show on their part if they're refusing to honour an offer that still gives them a 12.5% margin.
    It's not ridiculous. It is normal.
    The previous edition had Actimel at €3 whereas the store had the correct price of €3.33
    They also make frequent mistakes in their price comparisons

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It is ridiculous, whether by accident or by design. They are widely advertising incorrect prices and/or price comparisons with competitors. At very least they deserve a stiff fine everytime they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

smccarrick wrote: »
    It is ridiculous, whether by accident or by design. They are widely advertising incorrect prices and/or price comparisons with competitors. At very least they deserve a stiff fine everytime they do this.
    Not to mention, a 3e a bottle difference means nothing to a multi-billion pound company that bulk bought them for something like 12. The customer dissatisfaction costs them far more in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

CH3OH wrote: »
    There is 25% off Gardening this weekend
    Picked up a few bags this morning in Arklow
    It scanned at €3.98 and 3 bags cost me €8.95 after discount

It would appear that in Tesco's Universe, gardening does not include plants. Went into Arklow store tonight to get some Roundup and decided to pick up a few trays of bedding plants. When I got to the checkout I was told that the 25% offer did not apply to plants, I pointed out that I had picked the plants off the same shelf that had a sign stating 25% off gardening and was met with a blank stare and a "me no speak good English" attitude. No management about of course, so I told them to stuff their plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭CH3OH

bmaxi wrote: »
    It would appear that in Tesco's Universe, gardening does not include plants. Went into Arklow store tonight .....

I noticed the same and had just let it go..
    But I've just sent them an email asking them for a reply as the signage in store was at the very least -misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It would appear that in Tesco's Universe, gardening does not include plants. Went into Arklow store tonight to get some Roundup and decided to pick up a few trays of bedding plants. When I got to the checkout I was told that the 25% offer did not apply to plants, I pointed out that I had picked the plants off the same shelf that had a sign stating 25% off gardening and was met with a blank stare and a "me no speak good English" attitude. No management about of course, so I told them to stuff their plants.

Fair play to her, god knows what I would have said to you: :D

[IMG][/img]2iqzgpc.jpg

On the other hand here's where it clearly says Jameson for €20, just in case the proof disappears when the new magazine arrives. Def worth a complaint e-mail.

[IMG][/img]1ouft4.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The signs have "terms and conditions" at the bottom of them,in smaller print.;)

25% off doesnt apply to the plants.

If you want some nice pants and flowers that you wont find in Tesco,Dunnes Stores,Lidl,Aldi,Homebase or Woodies,then visit the likes of Mount Venus Nursery,Tullly Nurseries,Howth Garden Centre,Mount Usher garden centre or Plantagen.

Also take a visit at the end of this month to Bloom 2013 in the Phoenix Park.:)

http://bloominthepark.com/

A fantastic event and day out for all the family and the kids too.

My thread from last years Bloom here...(including lots of pictures)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79002173

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Fair play to her, god knows what I would have said to you: :D

[IMG][/img]2iqzgpc.jpg

On the other hand here's where it clearly says Jameson for €20, just in case the proof disappears when the new magazine arrives. Def worth a complaint e-mail.

[IMG][/img]1ouft4.jpg

I suppose I could have made my point more clearly.
    Firstly, the sign you show is not in evidence anywhere around this particular area.
    Secondly, there is a bank of shelves which are about equally divided between camping equipment, garden chemicals and plants. At right angles to the shelves and attached to them are signs saying in large lettering, 25% off gardening. I think it is reasonable to assume, as other people were doing while I was there, that this is intended to include the plants. I have never actually seen plants in this particular area before.
    The only conclusion I can draw is that it was designed to be deliberately deceptive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I suppose I could have made my point more clearly.
    Firstly, the sign you show is not in evidence anywhere around this particular area.
    Secondly, there is a bank of shelves which are about equally divided between camping equipment, garden chemicals and plants. At right angles to the shelves and attached to them are signs saying in large lettering, 25% off gardening. I think it is reasonable to assume, as other people were doing while I was there, that this is intended to include the plants. I have never actually seen plants in this particular area before.
    The only conclusion I can draw is that it was designed to be deliberately deceptive

i agree 100%, our local store has done the same thing, on the shelves constantly used for promotions they have placed 3 drops of plants, next to the gardening stuff, all with the 25% off sign,

while also having gardening stuff on the (separated by 2 other aisles) seasonal aisle with the camping stuff.

if they weren't being misleading they'd surely have the plants/camping on the seasonal aisle, and all the gardening stuff together in the promotional aisle. there is plenty of room to do so.

also disgusted with the alcohol advertising, they say *From €15* when only one box in the picture is at €15. the rest are at €17+ but you'd have to really read the fine print, especially confusing as they have previously been selling those same boxes for €15.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do you feel you've been hoodwinked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

paddy147 wrote: »
    Westland Multi-Purpose Compost with added John Innes.

50 litre bags are only 3 euro 89 cents each in Tesco Clarehall.

Thats a great price for some good compost.

Its 8 euro in Woodies

Dunno if Balbriggan just never stocked it, or if they ran out, but there were none when we went to get them on Sunday. Instead we picked up 15 bags of Tesco brand 20L bags - €1.25 each plus 25% off, so less than €1 per bag. Worked out at €2.34 per 50L , which was still much cheaper than woodies or B&Q or homebase for their 50L bags. One of them (can't remember which one) was doing 3 x 50L bags for €10, so Tesco was even cheaper than that.

The 20L are a pain in the bum if you are doing a large area, but are actually much handier if you are only doing the odd few pots as it means you don't have to store a half open bag. Plus much easier to load into the car!

Little Ted wrote: »
    Dunno if Balbriggan just never stocked it, or if they ran out, but there were none when we went to get them on Sunday. Instead we picked up 15 bags of Tesco brand 20L bags - €1.25 each plus 25% off, so less than €1 per bag. Worked out at €2.34 per 50L , which was still much cheaper than woodies or B&Q or homebase for their 50L bags. One of them (can't remember which one) was doing 3 x 50L bags for €10, so Tesco was even cheaper than that.

The 20L are a pain in the bum if you are doing a large area, but are actually much handier if you are only doing the odd few pots as it means you don't have to store a half open bag. Plus much easier to load into the car!

The little Tesco compost bags are absolutely crap IMO,no feed or organic matter in them at all.

Pay the extre few quid out for the propper stuff (Westland in Tesco Clarehall) that will have feed and organic matter in it.

Your plants will be much happier for it too,trust me.:)

The B&Q compost is better value and according to most reputable grow freaks. The best. I got 250L for 12 euro a few weeks back.

If ye are into camping and near Naas there are 3 Gelert Sleeping bags for 8.50e.(each) Sports Isle bottom shelf.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/gelert-bigabag-adult-sleeping-bag-black/168-8204.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=168-8204

The little Tesco compost bags are absolutely crap IMO,no feed or organic matter in them at all.

Pay the extre few quid out for the propper stuff (Westland in Tesco Clarehall) that will have feed and organic matter in it.

Your plants will be much happier for it too,trust me.

Oh we have a LOAD of feed already in the stockpile - a small garden centre near us was selling off a load of it when it closed down a while ago. So not so worried about that element. We bought it more to bulk out existing compost and feed, so suits fine for that.

Got a prompt reply to my email

"I am sorry that you felt misled by our special offer sign for our gardening promotion. Please accept my apologies for the annoyance caused.

Although our Marketing Department believed the sign to be easy to read and understand, they will bear your comments in mind when planning any future promotions.

She also said she would send me a gift card for ...........€5:rolleyes:
    but as Tesco says " every little helps"

I did point out again that the signage I referred to only had the word Gardening with no exclusions mentioned

Oh we have a LOAD of feed already in the stockpile - a small garden centre near us was selling off a load of it when it closed down a while ago. So not so worried about that element. We bought it more to bulk out existing compost and feed, so suits fine for that.

Are you mixing in manure and grit too?

Blood,fish and bonemeal will also help too...or else slow release fertilizer pellets or feed/granules.

it's the granules we added, and there is a spot of manure in there two! glorious odor!

I just do what my sister tells me - she's the one with greenfingers in our family! Whatever she tells me to add in/do is what I add in/do!

it's the granules we added, and there is a spot of manure in there two! glorious odor!

I just do what my sister tells me - she's the one with greenfingers in our family! Whatever she tells me to add in/do is what I add in/do!

No harm to add in some grit too...for drainage purposes.....you dont want to drown and kill your plants

Got a prompt reply to my email

"I am sorry that you felt misled by our special offer sign for our gardening promotion. Please accept my apologies for the annoyance caused.

Although our Marketing Department believed the sign to be easy to read and understand, they will bear your comments in mind when planning any future promotions.

She also said she would send me a gift card for ...........€5:rolleyes:
    but as Tesco says " every little helps"

I did point out again that the signage I referred to only had the word Gardening with no exclusions mentioned

There is a large SEL on every section of shelving stating the discount is for gardening equipment and the dates the promo is on. Its over 8" long and 4" high. Its fairly hard to miss in fairness.
    Sure ye got a free fiver for your own mistake. Cant argue with that.

• Advertisement

brokenarms wrote: »
    There is a large SEL on every section of shelving stating the discount is for gardening equipment and the dates the promo is on. Its over 8" long and 4" high. Its fairly hard to miss in fairness.

As far as I know, you don't work in the Arklow store. So you have no idea what sign was in front of the plants. Maybe the signage was correct in your store, but I don't know!
    The sign I referred to clearly stated: 25% off all gardening..etc." There was no mention of the word equipment and there was no exclusions listed.
    It wasn't MY mistake;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you have a pic of that sign maybe the store put the wrong sign because thats not the sign I saw.

Anyway back to the thread:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Misprice, usually over €1.89, scanning at 59c.

http://img.tesco.ie/Groceries/pi/135/5098933002135/IDShot_225x225.jpg

brokenarms wrote: »

That is not the sign I saw. The sign I saw was about 8"x 6" and said 25% off gardening and nothing else, unless it was in lettering so miniscule you'd need a magnifying glass to see it. There were about six of them on the bank of shelves at right angles to the shelf itself, obviously designed to draw the eye from a distance away. There is no dispute that the other signs existed, just that they were less conspicuous, thereby misleading the casual shopper. I'm sure there were lots of people who placed plants in their trolleys and who were then then too embarrassed not to take them.
    Tesco are not the first, and will not be the last, supermarket to use underhand tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

200g bars of Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations are only €1.67..

389042_430348383728920_688429533_n.jpg

The Jelly Popping Candy Shells one sounds bizarre, but the Cookie Nut Crunch one is meant to be amazing.

As far as I know, you don't work in the Arklow store. So you have no idea what sign was in front of the plants. Maybe the signage was correct in your store, but I don't know!
    The sign I referred to clearly stated: 25% off all gardening..etc." There was no mention of the word equipment and there was no exclusions listed.
    It wasn't MY mistake;)

I thought the signs say "gardening" and not "all gardening".....

There are terms and conditions at the very bottom of all the 25% off signs on the various aisles.

"excludes horticulture"

All signs in Tesco Omni Park,Clearwater,Clarehall and Artane Castle clearly state that,and have the other terms and conditions in small print at the very bottom of each sign.

I thought the signs say "gardening" and not "all gardening".....

There are terms and conditions at the very bottom of all the 25% off signs on the various aisles.

"excludes horticulture"

All signs in Tesco Omni Park,Clearwater,Clarehall and Artane Castle clearly state that,and have the other terms and conditions in small print at the very bottom of each sign.

Maybe we should draw a line here:

The signs in Arklow appear to have been different. Certainly a few of us who shop there see it that way;)
    Anyway on to the next bargain

Maybe we should draw a line here:

The signs in Arklow appear to have been different. Certainly a few of us who shop there see it that way;)
    Anyway on to the next bargain

Well sorry to say this,but its you are on here complaining about it.;)

Take a picture of the signs then.

Because all the 25% off signs on the aisles in various Tescos in Dublin clearly state the exclusions,terms and conditions and dates of promotion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Basq wrote: »
    200g bars of Dairy Milk Marvellous Creations are only €1.67..

389042_430348383728920_688429533_n.jpg

The Jelly Popping Candy Shells one sounds bizarre, but the Cookie Nut Crunch one is meant to be amazing.

I have tried both and have to admit the jelly one is by far the nicer of the two, but then again we all have different tastes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Limited Edition Moshi Monsters: Moshlings WINTER WONDERLAND blister packs are reduced to €1.79 per pack in Maynooth .... packs usually retail for around €5.99 - €6.99 ...

moshi%20monsters%20winter%20wonderland%20moshling%20blister%20pack%206%20web.jpg

• Advertisement

All the Tesco 25% off gardening signs clearly state the exclusions/terms and conditions and the promotion end date at the bottom of them.

So maybe some people need to go and get their eyesight checked over.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement