Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Why not? They're Irish.

So use our flag and then the association of their actions with our flag. and then you expect people to believe that they were not doing it in Ireland's name?

An insult and dishonour to the flag of Ireland and the just people of Ireland IMO. The flag is for honour and integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    So use our flag and then the association of their actions with our flag. and then you expect people to believe that they were not doing it in Ireland's name?

An insult and dishonour to the flag of Ireland and the just people of Ireland IMO. The flag is for honour and integrity.

So you can't find a quote then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Goodness me...what has that got to do with the IRA claiming that their campaign is conducted 'in our name'?

How many times can you see 'I' in that. Is it signed on behalf of 'all of us' or 'in our name'?

Hnnnnnnmmmm

The Dail acts in our name

The IRA transcended the Dail by their own proclamation.

They styled themselves as the armed representatives of the Irish people - indeed saying that that the Irish army and police force were not legitimate representatives because they served under the Dail, and as I already said, the IRA by their own proclamation transcended the authority of the Dail.

This is not a terribly difficult concept to grasp. I suspect you are going to continue to struggle to appreciate the entire concept of the continuity struggle, so I am probably going to leave it with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    says that:

"A crime occurs if there is an intentional attack directed against civilians or an attack is launched on a military objective in the knowledge that the incidental civilian injuries would be clearly excessive in relation to the anticipated military advantage"

Err... quite. Of course, it is subjective how one defines "anticipated military advantage". I would do a big grin smiley, but it would be in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So you can't find a quote then? :rolleyes:

I don't need a quote, the facts of what I posted need no quote. Imagine any citizen of Ireland, or Garda or whoever who gets killed in the legitimate service of the country having the flag draped over the coffin and the honour it bestows.......on the other hand a terrorist blown up by his own device having the same flag draped over his coffin....ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

is subjective how one defines "anticipated military advantage".

Which is what the ICC's role is I'd say in a case brought before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Hnnnnnnmmmm

The Dail acts in our name

The IRA transcended the Dail by their own proclamation.

They styled themselves as the armed representatives of the Irish people - indeed saying that that the Irish army and police force were not legitimate representatives because they served under the Dail, and as I already said, the IRA by their own proclamation transcended the authority of the Dail.

This is not a terribly difficult concept to grasp. I suspect you are going to continue to struggle to appreciate the entire concept of the continuity struggle, so I am probably going to leave it with that.

Which is only evidence of THEIR position and is not claiming/presuming to do anything 'in our names'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

This thread has veered wildly from the OP, which set out to see if MMG had anything else to offer us, other than his role in the NI peace process. Indeed the thread title is clearly describes what was meant to be looked at.

As per usual, it has turned into a recycling of all the same points and counterpoints that go with most NI related threads, and as such no longer relates to the OP or the first few pages of the the discussion.

For that reason I think we are done here

Cheers

DrG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement