Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone list things that Martin McGuinness has done for the people of the 26 county Republic of Ireland or anything which has made our lives and Country a better place?

Is he just a one trick pony or has he got something else up his sleeve after singlehandedly bringing peace to the 6 counties of Northern Ireland?

Without mention of Northern Ireland what do people see his contribution consisting of if he is elected president of the Republic of Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Less people been shot/exploded on both sides of the border these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

jhegarty wrote: »
    Less people been shot/exploded on both sides of the border these days.
    ... cos he stopped shooting people / exploding people*

*or directing others to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Absolutely nothing and if he gets elected? Nothing that Higgins or some of the others would not be able to do. Martin Mcguinness and his record in Northern Ireland will really help him prepare himself to open a shop or meet a president from a different country? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Republic of Ireland = Soccer team
    Éire or Ireland = Country

Just for the sake of clarity; we're not asking what MMcG has done for the boys in green I'm assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

He has brought fresh hope that one day the north and south will be united through peaceful means.

sorry if this post does not fit into another MMG bash thread;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Just for the sake of clarity; we're not asking what MMcG has done for the boys in green I'm assuming?

I posted this already today but:
    I always wonder why people get so excited by the name of the country. Ireland is fine as per the constitution but Rep of Ireland is a fine description as per the 1948 Republic of Ireland Act. People should just relax. It is really not important. Describing Ireland as the Republic of Ireland is fine.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1948/...022/index.html
    "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

He has brought fresh hope that one day the north and south will be united through peaceful means.

YES

beeno67 wrote: »
    I posted this already today but:
    I always wonder why people get so excited by the name of the country. Ireland is fine as per the constitution but Rep of Ireland is a fine description as per the 1948 Republic of Ireland Act. People should just relax. It is really not important. Describing Ireland as the Republic of Ireland is fine.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1948/...022/index.html
    "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."
    Common misconception, but it was clarified by Costello when the bill was going to be struck down for being unconstitutional. It doesn't purport to change the name of the nation, it merely clarifies that the nation is a republic (an issue that actually was not clear prior to the 1948 Act).

The name/description difference has been very confusing for some people, but needless to say in order to be correct, you must call the country Éire or Ireland, but you can refer to it as being a republic.

Cliff notes: describing Ireland as the Republic of Ireland is not fine; describing Ireland as a republic is fine.

Without mention of Northern Ireland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Can anyone list things that Martin McGuinness has done for the people of the 26 county Republic of Ireland or anything which has made our lives and Country a better place?

He mostly stayed away and left us alone, until recently.

Which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

But that was in the past. Wee Martin wants us to forget about the past.

Common misconception, but it was clarified by Costello when the bill was going to be struck down for being unconstitutional. It doesn't purport to change the name of the nation, it merely clarifies that the nation is a republic (an issue that actually was not clear prior to the 1948 Act).

The name/description difference has been very confusing for some people, but needless to say in order to be correct, you must call the country Éire or Ireland, but you can refer to it as being a republic.

Cliff notes: describing Ireland as the Republic of Ireland is not fine; describing Ireland as a republic is fine.

In the Irish statute books it is written
    "the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."
    Not may but shall

So according to the statute books describing it (as in "the description") as the Republic of Ireland is ok. This is not changing the name of the country. But if people want to describe Ireland as the "Republic of Ireland" they are correct..

In the Irish statute books it is written

So according to the statute books describing it (as in "the description") as the Republic of Ireland is ok. This is not changing the name of the country. But if people want to describe Ireland as the "Republic of Ireland" they are correct..
    I'm sorry, you're incorrect. People can describe Ireland as a republic, but calling it Republic of Ireland is incorrect. From Costello's mouth himself and any legislation that would suggest otherwise is unconstitutional.

Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I'm sorry, you're incorrect. People can describe Ireland as a republic, but calling it Republic of Ireland is incorrect. From Costello's mouth himself and any legislation that would suggest otherwise is unconstitutional.

ffs don't capitalise the R of republic and you're grand.

It's not like you are going to get mixed up with the 2nd Empire of Ireland, the Grand Duchy of Ireland, the Independent City of Limerick of Ireland, or the United States of Ireland.

Edit:
    The republic of 'Ireland' is the state 'Ireland'.
    "Northern Ireland" is a country in the state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The landmass "Ireland" contains both "Ireland" and "Northern Ireland". For the sake of clarification Ireland is often described as the republic of Ireland so as to identify it from the island, Ireland, which which it currently shares the same name.

I would like to say that that's an end to the discussion on the matter, but I know that it isn't :(

You are getting massively pedantic here as is the whole idea of complaining about the name. Let people call it what ever thay want. The statute books state: The Republic of Ireland.
    2.—It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.

Whatever Costello said is irrelevant but here is what he said:
    If the Senator will look at Article 4 of the Constitution she will find that the name of the State is Éire. Section 2 of this Bill declares that "this State shall be described as the Republic of Ireland". Its name in Irish is Éire and in the English language Ireland. Its description in the English language is "the Republic of Ireland
    Describing it as the Republic of Ireland (note the capitals and the definitive article) is right according to the Irish Statute book and Costello. The name of the country according to the constitution is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ok but I used the name Republic of Ireland for Martin's sake in case he is registered on boards.ie and wanted to post, so that he would know I was referring to the 26 counties and not the whole Island of Ireland which he still recognises as the state.

No need to apologise, i dont want this to be a sinn fein or McGuinness bashing thread either.

It seems to me that North and South have been united through a total seperation though and this took a lot more effort and work than Martin McGuinness and sinn fein/IRA laying down their arms

ffs don't capitalise the R of republic and you're grand.

It's not like you are going to get mixed up with the 2nd Empire of Ireland, the Grand Duchy of Ireland, the Independent City of Limerick of Ireland, or the United States of Ireland.
    You can be wrong all you want. :o

Wasn't it Goethe:
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

People being proud of it just blows my mind. Presumably this is the same crew that doesn't see any problems with "txt spk" and misspellings once people can "get the idea" of what they're trying to say :rolleyes:

You are getting massively pedantic here as is the whole idea of complaining about the name. Let people call it what ever thay want. The statute books state: The Republic of Ireland.
    2.—It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland.

Whatever Costello said is irrelevant. Describing it as the Republic of Ireland (note the capitals and the definitive article) is right according to the Irish Statute book. The name of the country according to the constitution is Ireland.
    Quite simply, no it isn't. It could not have been enacted if it was unconstitutional - constitution trumps statute book.

Of course, you can keep arguing the point; I'm sure your extensive education and experience with Constitutional law needs to be exercised somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The answer is nothing at all, he's done the place harm all right as part of an organisation that made it hard for the state to develop international economic links that would have been to the benefit of the people of this state. Kidnapping people like Tiede Herrema, Don Tidey and even shooting dead Shergar did send the wrong sort of message.

mike65 wrote: »
    The answer is nothing at all, he's done the place harm all right as part of an organisation that made it hard for the state to develop international economic links that would have been to the benefit of the people of this state. Kidnapping people like Tiede Herrema, Don Tidey and even shooting dead Shergar did send the wrong sort of message.
    There is also a lot of American/U.S. investment that would not have happened but for the IRA and their fundraising efforts in the United States of America

There is no real evidence that the IRA were involved in the disappearance of Shergar.

• Advertisement

Quite simply, no it isn't. It could not have been enacted if it was unconstitutional - constitution trumps statute book.

Of course, you can keep arguing the point; I'm sure your extensive education and experience with Constitutional law needs to be exercised somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

He kneecapped a load of heroin dealers in dolphin's barn in the 80s. :D

Shame he left a few slip through.

Ignorance how now?

:eek: I forgot all about Shergar! :D

Fuppin' grassholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You can be wrong all you want. :o

Wasn't it Goethe:

People being proud of it just blows my mind. Presumably this is the same crew that doesn't see any problems with "txt spk" and misspellings once people can "get the idea" of what they're trying to say :rolleyes:

FFS!

The: Definite Article. There is only one of these things in existence!

Republic: a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them, or simply one in which the head of state is not a monarch.

Of: Preposition; used to indicate possession, origin, or association, constituted by, containing, or characterised by

Ireland: Either the island or country: either meaning works in the context.

I am beginning to despair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is also a lot of American/U.S. investment that would not have happened but for the IRA and their fundraising efforts in the United States of America

You better explain this to me, I might be a bit thick but blowing up, shooting and kidnapping people generally dissuades hard nosed businessmen from investment in a location.

Spacedog wrote: »
    He kneecapped a load of heroin dealers in dolphin's barn in the 80s. :D

Shame he left a few slip through.
    He did not do this surely? but it was done in the name of the IRA but was this not just a way for the local criminals(many who are still around) to terrorise and intimidate hard working honest citizens even more?

You better explain this to me, I might be a bit thick but blowing up, shooting and kidnapping people generally dissuades hard nosed businessmen from investment in a location.
    When Ireland(Republic of) was thriving the IRA coffers were full so it was in their interest to keep American companies investing and keep Americans and Irish people contributing to the cause.

Ignorance how now?

You cannot see the difference between the name and the description. I quoted for you what Costello actually said but you ignore that.
    I have quoted you the actual act. Word for word, yet you say it doesn't say what it actually says. If it was unconstitutional it would have been tested in the Supreme court by this stage, yet you say that what the actual act says cannot be so because that would be unconstitutional.

As I say you are being totally pedantic about this. People know exactly what is meant by Republic of Ireland (probably more than they know exactly what is meant by Ireland). I have had enough of this. Carry on with the pedantry.

• Advertisement

FFS!

The: Definite Article. There is only one of these things in existence!

Republic: a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them, or simply one in which the head of state is not a monarch.

Of: Preposition; used to indicate possession, origin, or association, constituted by, containing, or characterised by

Ireland: Either the island or country: either meaning works in the context.

I am beginning to despair
    You can begin to despair all you want, but you're simply wrong. How do you think I feel having to deal with stupidity where it's clear I'm correct.

Explain the significance of the Supreme Court decision in 1989 of Ellis v O'Dea if you believe it is accurate to call the country the Republic of Ireland?

The purpose of the 1948 Act is to officially declare the country as a republic - your definition is correct. However, it's not as simple as you put it forward; clear from the decision in Ellis that a description of Republic of Ireland is not correct.

I, now, begin to despair for those who argue despite having not a notion of what they are on about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement