Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the 109A that leaves Kells for the Airport waits for the 109 from Cavan to arrive so that passengers going to the airport can get on that bus?

The reason I ask is that from looking at the timetable for the 109A the planners of the timetable seem to think that it only takes 45 minutes for the 109 to get from Cavan to Kells. That has never happened in any of the bus trips I have taken on the 109. It is at least a 55 minute journey.

I have to be at the airport for 3.15 on Monday afternoon. Had hoped to get the 30 from Cavan to Dublin Airport but chances are that will be full up and we will be asked to get the 109. However if I get the 1pm 109 that wont get me to Kells till about 2. That will mean that the 1.50 109 will have already left and so I will have to either

Stay on the 109 and get into O'Connell Street for between 3.10 and 3.30 and then get a taxi to the airport or

Wait for the 109a at 2.50 and get to the airport for 4.30.

Anybody get this combination of buses and could tell me what the best approach would be?

Thanks

From traveling on the 30, airport passengers are priority from Cavan, no other bus directly serves it, so If I were you I would go for the 30. If the the bus is is full push the inspector in Cavan to make alternative arrangements, as not only you but virginia passengers have to go to the airport too, you guys can not be left.

At a worst case scenario they have in the past had to arrange for the 109 and 109A to connect, Ie contact the driver of 109A to wait. This is still far from ideal. We are also away from peak periods so i would guess you are okay. There are always a few getting of in Cavan too.
    I have seen rarely passengers for Dublin city asked to transfer to 109 to allow for the airport passengers.

I think you will be fine!

But I would agree the timetable on 109 is a work of fiction. I was going through the attic a few months ago and found an old timetable from 1994 (route 30 was then route 94) and actually allowed 1 hour 40 from Dublin to cavan.
    Dublin 0900
    Navan 0947
    Kells 1002
    virginia1013
    Cavan 1040

All these towns have become so much busier than then, but buses used to be just as late. I guess timetabling has not moved on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Does anybody know if the 109A that leaves Kells for the Airport waits for the 109 from Cavan to arrive so that passengers going to the airport can get on that bus?

The reason I ask is that from looking at the timetable for the 109A the planners of the timetable seem to think that it only takes 45 minutes for the 109 to get from Cavan to Kells. That has never happened in any of the bus trips I have taken on the 109. It is at least a 55 minute journey.

I have to be at the airport for 3.15 on Monday afternoon. Had hoped to get the 30 from Cavan to Dublin Airport but chances are that will be full up and we will be asked to get the 109. However if I get the 1pm 109 that wont get me to Kells till about 2. That will mean that the 1.50 109 will have already left and so I will have to either

Stay on the 109 and get into O'Connell Street for between 3.10 and 3.30 and then get a taxi to the airport or

Anybody get this combination of buses and could tell me what the best approach would be?

Thanks

I don't think that they wait, unfortunately.

Whenever I have taken the 109A's from Navan they arrived around five past the hour for their departure there at 10 past the hour.

I have taken the 109A from Navan at 7.10am, 3.10pm and 6.10pm and they each arrived shortly before 10 past the hour at around 5 past, so they must have left Kells at exactly 10 to the hour.

All the 109A's leave Kells at 10 to the hour, so I guess considering the ones I got arrived in Navan before 10 past the hour, that they haven't waited for the 109 from Cavan to arrive in Kells.

The buses I got arrived at the airport around 15-20 minutes past the next hour. For example the 3.10pm 109A from Navan got to the airport around 4.20pm.

I guess they don't wait in Kells because they risk getting delayed getting into the airport.

The buses that leave Kells at 10 to the hour are due to pick up at the airport at 20 past the next hour, and then at DCU, 10 minutes later, on their return journey back to Kells.

I think, during the day, the 109A's can get delayed coming from Dublin Airport back on the way to Ashbourne.

I find that the 109's that come from Cavan can take 10 minutes more than scheduled to get to Kells and Navan, I guess due to traffic. They are due in Navan at five past the hour but can often arrive in Navan at 10-15 minutes past the hour. An example of this is that the 5pm 109 from Cavan that is due in Navan at 6.05pm. It often arrives in Navan at the Market Square around 6.10pm, around the same time as the 190 bus for Drogheda and Laytown arrives at the Market Square. This 190 bus is scheduled to arrive in Navan at 6.10pm.

I find that 109's that start Kells at 15 minutes past the hour are more able to keep to the timetable. They are usually in Navan shortly before 35 past the hour, and they are scheduled to leave Navan at 35 past the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Thanks
    When I was commuting a few months ago the Airport Bus would usually be gone before the quarter to bus arrived

Bus Éireann has included on its site the details of the additional night rider 109N, 101N and 126N services at Christmas.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1637&month=Nov

"Nightrider Services from Dublin

Bus Éireann will operate extra Nightrider late night services from Dublin to Balbriggan, Drogheda, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Navan, Naas, Newbridge, Sallins and Clane over the Christmas period.

The extra late night services will operate on Thursdays 11, 18 and Sundays 14, 21 and 28 December.

These extra services will complement our scheduled Nightrider services which operate on Friday and Saturday nights.

Tuesday, 25th November, 2014."

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Oh the irony , on the day fares increase , the 630 express can't even make it out of the yard . An all too frequent experience with the sh@t private buses BE insist on using for some of their busiest services and most loyal customers .

Same level of BE service as usual , no explanation , no apology .

0n 645 slow coach which has picked up the sum total of zero people going out the slow route .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Oh the irony , on the day fares increase , the 630 express can't even make it out of the yard . An all too frequent experience with the sh@t private buses BE insist on using for some of their busiest services and most loyal customers .

Same level of BE service as usual , no explanation , no apology .

0n 645 slow coach which has picked up the sum total of zero people going out the slow route .

It was a joke, one of the few days I made it to the 6.30 and they don't even replace it just put us on the slower bus.

Got there at 6.26 today to be told 6.30 express was a small bus which had just departed. Several others in the same boat . Not having a good week !! Lol

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bus-drivers-could-face-fines-for-being-rude-653342.html

Very interesting!

Not the last service of the day, but the 5.30 was full and gone again yesterday at 5.26. It's not all bad, but statistically I have taken/ tried to take 3 buses this week, and there was a problem with all 3 in some shape or from

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

any word when they will drop the Blanch S.C stop both ways and just pick up on the slip roads, to avoid the heavy shopping traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Bus Éireann has included on its site the details of the additional night rider 109N, 101N and 126N services at Christmas.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1637&month=Nov

"Nightrider Services from Dublin

Bus Éireann will operate extra Nightrider late night services from Dublin to Balbriggan, Drogheda, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Navan, Naas, Newbridge, Sallins and Clane over the Christmas period.

The extra late night services will operate on Thursdays 11, 18 and Sundays 14, 21 and 28 December.

These extra services will complement our scheduled Nightrider services which operate on Friday and Saturday nights.

Tuesday, 25th November, 2014."

they need to update the 109N page because not everyone will see it here on the boards.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1293185310-109N.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

How come the annual bus ticket is not valid on the late night bus but the rail pass is valid on the late trains being put on for Christmas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

malene wrote: »
    any word when they will drop the Blanch S.C stop both ways and just pick up on the slip roads, to avoid the heavy shopping traffic?
    malene wrote: »
    they need to update the 109N page because not everyone will see it here on the boards.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1293185310-109N.pdf

Both of these are in the timetable news page on the Bus Eireann website.

http://buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1649&month=Dec
    Please be advised that from Monday, 8 December 2014 to Sunday, 4 January 2015 inclusive, services on Bus Éireann Route 109, Dublin – Dunshaughlin – Navan – Kells – Virginia – Cavan and Route 105, Ratoath – Dublin will not serve the stops within Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

http://buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1637&month=Nov

As it's only a temporary change, I wouldn't see the main timetable page being changed. The news item is linked to on the homepage.

Fiskar wrote: »
    How come the annual bus ticket is not valid on the late night bus but the rail pass is valid on the late trains being put on for Christmas ?

I don't know, but it was always a separate fare for the nightrider services.

Ever since it started in November 2003, they never accepted the weekly or day return tickets bought for the daily 109 service.

I guess the cost of running it may be one reason?

It is the same bus - and as far as I know it is the same driver - that leaves Dublin at 12.30am and 3.30am and it does a return service from Navan, also covering Dunshaughlin and Ratoath, back to Dublin at 1.45am and 4.45am.

If you have an annual tax saver ticket, this is valid on the night rider service.

http://m.buseireann.ie/index.php?id=239#li_239

lxflyer wrote: »
    Both of these are in the timetable news page on the Bus Eireann website.

http://buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1649&month=Dec

http://buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1637&month=Nov

As it's only a temporary change, I wouldn't see the main timetable page being changed. The news item is linked to on the homepage.

Just as well it's avoiding the shopping centre, the 5.45 took 1 hour 45 to get to Navan yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭gazzer

8.30am bus from Busarus took 2hours 40 minutes to get to Cavan this morning. Its rediculous.

8.30am bus from Busarus took 2hours 40 minutes to get to Cavan this morning. Its rediculous.

hi Gazzer

just wondering, did the 109 - 109A connection in Kells for the airport work out for you the other week?

I'm just curious, as I'm not sure the 109 from Cavan would have reached Kells by the time the 109A leaves from Kells at 10 to the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

can i ask where were the delays? Just a guess but were they out of Dublin or anything specif happen, I guess all towns are a bit busier coming up to xmas. It would have been if you also visited the centre. It is crazy lenght of time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭tom23

Hi folks... anyone getting the 12.30 Nightrider to navan from City Centre. is it worth getting it a O"Connell or is it full by the time it gets there? Whats the next time after that for Nightrider? Thanks

hi Gazzer

just wondering, did the 109 - 109A connection in Kells for the airport work out for you the other week?

I'm just curious, as I'm not sure the 109 from Cavan would have reached Kells by the time the 109A leaves from Kells at 10 to the hour.

I ended up getting a seat on the 30 from Cavan. Though that was a bit of a nightmare because the bus driver pulled over on the road just outside Virginia for a half hour until another bus driver replaced him. Then when we got to the airport we had to go around 3 different times because the replacement driver had never driven to the airport before and kept getting into the wrong lane :D

• Advertisement

CVH24 wrote: »
    can i ask where were the delays? Just a guess but were they out of Dublin or anything specif happen, I guess all towns are a bit busier coming up to xmas. It would have been if you also visited the centre. It is crazy lenght of time really.

We didnt go into the centre. We just went up the slip road at Blanch SC and then down the other slip road back onto the N3.

The traffic was bad enough on the Navan Road from McDonalds until the Halfway House.

Still that journey was not as bad as the epic 3 hours 30 minutes that it took last week (Thursday 11th) for the 4pm 109 to get from Wilton Terrace to Cavan. That was great fun

tom23 wrote: »
    Hi folks... anyone getting the 12.30 Nightrider to navan from City Centre. is it worth getting it a O"Connell or is it full by the time it gets there? Whats the next time after that for Nightrider? Thanks

It usually has space for everyone when it picks up at Bus Aras and at Penny's on O'Connell St, but it's likely that there'd be more people using it this time of year, after Christmas parties or whatever, so it'd be safer to get it at Bus Aras, where it picks up on the Store Street side.

For example, last night the 10.30pm 109 to Cavan was full, which meant there wasn't room for anyone waiting for it at Phibsboro Church or Blanchardstown. As a result, passengers who had been waiting for that 10.30pm service at Phibsboro Church and at Blanchardstown, then got the 109 service that left Bus Aras at 11.30pm.

The 9.30pm 109 service last night was also full, and there wasn't room for at least one passenger, who had been waiting for it at Phibsboro Church.

The next 109N from Bus Aras, after the 12.30am service, is at 3.30am. Both services are the same bus. It does a return journey from Navan at 1.45am, to Dublin, before its 3.30am service from Dublin. It then does a return journey from Navan back to Dublin at 4.45am.

The midnight 30 bus to Donegal, that picks up at the Store Street side of Bus Aras at midnight and at the airport at 12.20am, serves Navan and Kells as drop off points every night.

If there is someone for Navan, it takes exit 8 and gets in to the town around 1am-1.05am. It is just before 1am when it goes by the Kilcarne Bridge stop after taking exit 8.

Ok it's Christmas, one should not be griping. 12:30 night rider appears around the corner queue a ****load of people running for it. 12:30 Departure is a myth. Bus appears at 12:30. I suppose people should be grateful. Bus departs at 12:45.

tom23 wrote: »
    Ok it's Christmas, one should not be griping. 12:30 night rider appears around the corner queue a ****load of people running for it. 12:30 Departure is a myth. Bus appears at 12:30. I suppose people should be grateful. Bus departs at 12:45.

The 30 bus to Donegal leaves exactly at midnight every night. It takes less time to get to Navan than the 109N.

The 12.30am 109N usually gets to Navan around 1.40am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The 30 bus to Donegal leaves exactly at midnight every night. It takes less time to get to Navan than the 109N.

The 12.30am 109N usually gets to Navan around 1.40am.

Grrrrr...would ya stop burstin Lad's baloons.....all of this "Exactly" business...and EVERY night too.....where's your sense of negativity when it's needed ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Grrrrr...would ya stop burstin Lad's baloons.....all of this "Exactly" business...and EVERY night too.....where's your sense of negativity when it's needed ? ;)

The midnight Donegal 30 service, in my experience, is a very punctual service, I guess due to no traffic congestion. It leaves Donegal at 7pm and does the return service at 12am from Dublin.

The different drivers of the midnight 30 service from Dublin, arrive in Navan and Kells at pretty much the same times; 12.58am-12.59am at the stop at Kilcarne Bridge and then around 1am-1.05am at the Mercy Convent stop and then Kells 1.15am-1.20am.

If there is someone for Kells and no one for Navan - since the timetable change since 16th November making all towns except Virginia and Cavan, on this midnight service, drop off points only - it then takes exit 10 for Kells and will get to Kells around 1.05am-1.10am.

AlekSmart wrote: »

In fairness I was been a bit cranky in that last post. Ok 15 minutes is not the end of the world.

I see we are back to halcyon days of pre 2005 when the bus qeus to get through dun shaughlin. Traffic is mental from half house to dun shaughlin.

On the 109 from Navan this morning there as a booklet on every seat about proposed changes to the 109 and other services to Dublin, they are inviting feedback by 21st of January 5pm.

The booklet is also available on their website:

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1420620583-M3-Corridor.pdf

this is the summary from the first page, they want to introduce more direct services using the M3.
    Bus Éireann and the National Transport Authority (NTA) propose to improve your bus
    service along the M3 Corridor and surrounding towns into Dublin. The proposals follow
    a review of public transport services undertaken by the National Transport Authority in
    conjunction with Bus Éireann.

Key outcomes from the review included the following requirements:
    » Provide shorter journey times and more direct services via M3 motorway
    » Better match the level of service to the demand for travel from individual areas and towns
    » Provide improved connections for more people to Dublin Airport
    Cavan, Virginia, Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin, Athboy and Trim are currently served in the
    main by Routes 109 and 111. It is proposed that these areas will be served by a set of
    newly numbered services, each with separate and defined routings to/from Dublin.

This
    booklet outlines each new route and explains how services are proposed to change in all of
    the above locations.

Network Improvements:
    » A simple, easy to understand better connected network of bus services
    » Increased frequency and capacity
    » User friendly timetable evenly spread through the day
    » Simplified route numbering

List of service proposals
    1. CAVAN-VIRGINIA-KELLS-DUBLIN via M3
    2. NAVAN-DUBLIN via M3
    3. KELLS-NAVAN-DUNSHAUGHLIN-DUBLIN via R147 (old N3)
    4. TRIM-DUNSHAUGHLIN-DUBLIN via R147 (old N3)
    5. CAVAN-ATHBOY-TRIM via R154

These proposals are described in greater detail in the following pages. You are invited to
    consider the proposals and to send back your comments and suggestions. Contact details
    are provided on the back cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Interesting proposals - definitely a win for Navan passengers with these.

I'm not sure Trim passengers will be too happy with a diversion via Dunshaughlin, nor will Batterstown passengers, although by doing that it maintains a 30 minute service to Dunshaughlin.

The list of service proposals above omits the hourly 109A Kells-Navan-Dunshaughlin-Ashbourne-Dublin Airport-DCU service which will continue to operate.

Advertisement