Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Brewing - Dark Arts - Availability

Options
  • 10-10-2011 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi, can anyone tell me about the availability of this beer?
    have heard much about it but havent had the chance to try it yet. keep expecting to find it but haven't to date.

i would have it either draft or bottled (preferably bottled to enjoy at home).

any suggestions, and is it really as good as the rumors?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Their stockist list says L. Mulligan Grocer, the Bull & Castle and Against the Grain in Dublin, plus Harry's in Inishowen.

It doesn't exist bottled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

That web page isn't accurate either. Several places that have Ór also have Dark Arts, but the web page just says Ór.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Abbot's in Cork have it pretty much all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

In Dublin, I've seen it a few days ago in MJ O'Neill's (Suffolk st) and it sometimes pops up in the Porterhouse Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Bull and castle didn't even know what it is.
    I Was in porterhouse too but no room to sit down and eat so had to move on :(

I saw a thread when searching suggesting some of their beers are available bottled but i guess that's just or?

I'll try drop into atg or lmg if I get a chance.

Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

subway wrote: »
    I asked a young barman there and they said they didn't have it, seemed to know it, or been asked before about it. I expected them to have it so just ordered like I had seen it. This is probably the best way to go about it though, walk into pubs and ask (preferably the manager) for it, and act all shocked they don't stock it, like they are fools not to -which they are!

:D

rubadub wrote: »
    I asked a young barman there and they said they didn't have it
    I'm surprised. I ordered one yesterday when I was having lunch downstairs and they brought it straight away.

It's on the bar upstairs. Pointing at the tap and saying "This one" gets round the staff-not-knowing-what-it-is factor.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's on the bar upstairs.
    Thats good to hear, I was actually upstairs when I asked, perhaps they were just out of it at the time. (this was maybe 2 months ago)

I think I was in whelans and saw galway hooker, but they were out of it, building up my hopes and dashing them down to nothing :mad:;)

Thanks for the extra info. I dragged the oh all the way up try it and it was the first thing I asked for when the waitress came over.
    She just said "know nothing about it, here's the beer menu" and in fairness it wasn't on it.

Will go on a little wander this Saturday methinks

• Advertisement

here's the beer menu
    I really wonder why beer speciality places bother with those things. They're always out of date, probably before they reach the tables.

They're always out of date, probably before they reach the tables.
    Thats why I like against the grain, they at least have the ability to easily update them (for those who have not been in there they have a bunch of clipboards with printed out A4 sheets of all beers sorted by country.)

Dunno if they do keep it up to date though, they should have a specials page on it to highlight updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thats good to hear, I was actually upstairs when I asked, perhaps they were just out of it at the time. (this was maybe 2 months ago)

I think I was in whelans and saw galway hooker, but they were out of it, building up my hopes and dashing them down to nothing :mad:;)

Were out of it last two times I was there too, beginning to wonder if they even stock it anymore. :(

they have a bunch of clipboards with printed out A4 sheets of all beers sorted by country.
    That's the bottles. Big fan of ordering bottled beer in the pub, are yeh? :P :P :P

The draught range, including guest taps, plus prices, is all on blackboards above the bar. Easily read and always up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Was in ATG for the first time this weekend, just before a work night out over in The Village.

Bar staff are friendly, but they all seemed a little rushed, like bees buzzing around the bar, but it wasn't even busy. Also, one of the barmen had never tasted Dark Arts :eek:

Is the food nice in there?

I've always found the food to be pretty decent. The burgers are particularly good.

The burgers are particularly good.
    In some other thread it was said (maybe by yourself) that ATG own one or more "gourmet" type burger bars in cork or somewhere, so should be the same standard.

Speaking of food there, they have that soup & sandwich deal on again
    http://www.geodeals.ie/deals/639?utm_campaign=notification&gnt=XU1WaxmIRwZsfW0TqeUfjCMVOIQqSDe2&utm_content=156&utm_source=geodeals&utm_medium=email&gct=BkjjBcsaJsnKCEOz5ZG55Gy1CQN9IcRn&utm_weight=0.013

but it is quite limited as to when you can avail of the offer.

In some other thread it was said (maybe by yourself) that ATG own one or more "gourmet" type burger bars in cork or somewhere
    That would be The Mill (formerly Mustard) in Galway. It's a proper restaurant rather than a burger joint. Although it's disappeared from the group website. I wonder have they closed it.

Update: Confirmed via Facebook. Closed on 24 September.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've eaten in ATG a few times - thumbs up ... The menu changes fairly sharpish but things like the asian offerings (chicken curries etc) and homemade chips remain consistently good.

Not really a place I'd go to eat versus go to drink, if that makes sense, but if you do want to grab something it's certainly good food (especially for the money).

Actually around that neck of the woods you're spoiled for choice in terms of good value eats... Bobo's, Green Nineteen, Burrito 'n Blues...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

In some other thread it was said (maybe by yourself) that ATG own one or more "gourmet" type burger bars in cork or somewhere, so should be the same standard.

Speaking of food there, they have that soup & sandwich deal on again
    http://www.geodeals.ie/deals/639?utm_campaign=notification&gnt=XU1WaxmIRwZsfW0TqeUfjCMVOIQqSDe2&utm_content=156&utm_source=geodeals&utm_medium=email&gct=BkjjBcsaJsnKCEOz5ZG55Gy1CQN9IcRn&utm_weight=0.013

but it is quite limited as to when you can avail of the offer.

ATG also does a soup and a sandwich special each day for 6 euro, different sandwich each day, not the ones on the menu though. You have to go in and ask.
    Have been in a few times for lunch during the week and on a Sunday. Food is fast and has always been very good. The roastbeef sandwich is a winner with me.
    One complant is could do with more chips in a portion.

As for the Dark Arts, had it in ATG and it was like black coloured water, flat and tasteless. Got it in the Bull and Castle and it was completly different, nice creamy pint. This was about 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Bottled Dark Arts hit the shelves today, in DrinkStore at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ronano

nice gonna check it out during the week thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

yup, got the tweet from trouble about it yesterday, hopefulyy I can find some in Galway over christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

I need to find some in time for Xmas

McHugh's?

i've mailed mchughs this morning, not sure what they are like about getting back.
    will be in the local one tonight anyway if they dont get back to me.

I see Cathal McHugh on Twitter asking them for a delivery, so I'd say it'll be there in the next day or so.

woohoo!
    mchughs wrote:
    Thanks for the enquiry. Trouble Dark Arts will be delivered to our shops at 6pm this evening and will be available from then. We hope to see you over the weekend to pick up our latest addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I picked some up in mchughs the other day. They also still have some bellringer left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They have it in McHughs at the artane roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

So, has anyone drank any of this in bottles yet? Opinions?

Advertisement