Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - IMAT12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Mon 13/2 (cont'd) pm 2000m Club Swim session

WU 300m FC + 300m Drills with fins (Kick with board, one arm one side, one arm rotate)
    Main - 8 x 100m hard off 3:30. Did the first few off 2:45-3:00 but faded back. Sozzled at the end.
    1:43 22spl
    1:45 25spl
    1:50 25spl
    1:56 26spl
    1:57 27spl
    2:00 27spl
    2:04 28spl
    2:04 28spl
    WD 4 x 100m FC easy

Tues 14/2 am Run with 3 x (3min hard, 1min easy) after 10min
    8.26km, 0:45:02, 5:27/km
    Went off too hard on the first hard set, took longer to recover and couldn't finish out the last one :(
    0:10 WU at 5:25/km
    0:03 at 4:07/km recover 1:30 at 6:50/km
    0:03 at 4:28/km recover 1:30 at 6:44/km
    0:02 at 4:20/km recover 1M at 6:07/km
    WD at 5:40/km
    Not good. A real struggle and very disheartened afterwards. I've picked up a hip pain over the last few days and this hasn't helped it. Not sure if its related to 'reaching' too hard on the turbo or the harder run sessions. Definitely need new run shoes as I've the current ones for way over the recommend time/mileage and maybe a bike fit also as I start putting in more time and effort on it. Either way I'm in a bit of bother at the moment and while need to sort it. :(

Wed 15/2 Rest. Travel early to Dublin with work. Thought about a pm Turbo session but opted for an early night instead :o.

Thurs 16/2 2600m am swim
    My longest straight swim ever and I'm delighted :D:) :rolleyes:. 1:03:24, 2:26/100m, 27spl.
    I've had a lot of concerns about my swim capability over the last while but a decent few weeks effort has brought it along nicely I believe. I was only up for a 1k straight swim last time I tried as I was getting splitting headaches probably related to breathing issues :confused:. Anyway I came relatively fresh today and planned on taking it out for as long as I could. I was aiming for 1500-1900m straight but I was just ambling along with such low energy drawdown that I just kept going and it felt like I was just going for an easy walk in the park (which in swim terms I was :rolleyes:). I'm delighted that I was able to maintain consistent form and manage my breathing and endurance level for that distance without excessive effort. I chose to stop at 2500m but I must've miscounted as the watch had measured more :D. I was tiring alright at that stage but could still have cracked out another few 100m if it came to it. Its a bit of a Monkey off my back because I was doubting if I'd be even able for the IM distance based on January numbers. Now I'm a lot more confident about making the distance anyway so its just a matter of getting the time down to more acceptable levels ;).

I've decided to ease back on training for a few days and give this hip a chance to recover and I need to get some blood pressure tests done anyway so I picked up a 24hr BP Monitor from my GP earlier. High blood pressure is a recent concern and I can't do much more in terms of lifestyle management (unless work stress levels suddenly disappear :rolleyes:). So hopefully I'll get back in the pool tomorrow and running / cycling soon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the swim RedB! Next target 3k and it will feel even better :)

Been resting up a bit more than intended but ticking over as the hip comes good. Got a new pair of runners on Friday in Limerick Sports Store and got a solid half hour of trying on different shoes, widths and sizes in an effort to get an appropriate fit complete with orthotics. Thanks Shiv. Very satisfied with the outcome even though it involved changing shoe from the old Asics Nimbus to the New Balance 1080. My wide foot seemed to be rolling out in the Asics and apparently dragging my hamstring, gluts and hip with it. Possibly putting in the extra run intervals on tired lags put too much strain on them, leading to pain :(. Anyway, there's going to be a lot more of that effort so hopefully the new tackies, as they used to call them around here, will help ;).

Fri 17/2 - Rest :mad:. The darn BP Monitor I had on for 24hours kicked in every half an hour which did SFA for any hope of a proper nights sleep as I'm a light sleeper at the best of times. Both the noise of the pump coming on and the tightening sensation around my arm had me addled all night. Only got rid of it around lunchtime and didn't get a chance to hit the pool after that. Tired and cranky too and not as a result of training :o. Blaaagh.

Sat 18/2 - Long Cycle. 80km, 3:15, 24.6kph
    7:30am start again and the mornings are getting brighter :). Only 2 of us and he'd done 70km+ the day before so no major effort apart from putting in the time and distance. Out the old N7 to the R499 and then back via Killoscully to Newport where we turned left at the graveyard and out to Rear Cross and then straight back in via Newport. No brick as still minding the hip. Felt very refreshed afterwards as it was a medium effort outing.

Sun 19/2 - Rest. I'm going to cash in one of my two 'floating' weeks in the Training Schedule and repeat this week as its been thrown off by this dodgy hip and needs to be put back properly on schedule.

Mon 20/2 - LSR. 12.15KM, 1:05, 5:21/KM. Nice am run.

Mon 20/2 (cont'd) 2100m Tri club pm swim
    200m WU
    6 X 50m hypoxic drills (2x50m with 4 strokes per breath(spb), 2x50m 5 spb, 2x50m 6 spb) Near death experience :eek:
    Main Set - 400m on 9min, 4x100m on 2:30, 2x200m on 5min, 4x100m on 2:30
    400m forgot to start watch
    100m forgot to start watch
    100m 2:12 27spl
    100m 2:12 27spl
    100m 2:06 25spl
    200m 4:32, 2:16/100, ?spl
    200m 4:35, 2:18/100, ?spl
    100m 2:17 28spl
    100m 2:13 28spl
    100m 2:10 27spl
    100m WD Out of time.

Tues 21/02 1:00 Turbo am
    5min WU, Set cal to 0
    10min at Setting 1
    5min hard at Setting 5
    3min easy at Setting 1
    5min hard at Setting 5
    3min easy at Setting 1
    Remainder at Setting 2-3
    Avg 200W
    Gears not working right after mucky Sat spin :o so couldn't get into Big Wheel. Had to adjust settings for hardness.

Wed 22/02 2400m Masters am swim
    WU - 6 x (25m catchup, 25m FC, 25m one arm, 25m FC) with fins
    Main Set - 400m, 2x200m, 300m, 5x100m
    400m 8:22, 2:06/100, 26spl
    200m 4:14, 2:07/100, 27spl
    200m 4:17, 2:09/100, 26spl
    300m 6:10, 2:04/100, 26spl
    100m 1:52* 25spl
    100m 1:59* 26spl
    100m 1:58* 26spl
    100m 1:55* 25spl
    100m 1:58* 26spl
    *=short as group backed up at end of lane
    WD - 4 x (25m kick / 25m FC)

Wed 22/2 (cont'd) 0:45 pm Interval Run with 3x5min hard
    0:10 WU 5:03/km
    0:05 med-hard 4:42/km
    0:02 easy 5:53/km
    0:05 med-hard 4:37/km
    0:02 easy 5:40/km
    0:05 med-hard 4:30/km
    Balance 5:19/km
    Total 9km, 0:45:21, 5:02/km
    I was minding myself on this as the hip is recovering and I didn't want to strain it too much. It was also my first run in the new shoes and they felt a bit snug on the toes resulting in a blister and a bit of other rubbing but generally ok.

Thurs 23/2 3k am straight swim
    Well done on the swim RedB! Next target 3k and it will feel even better :)
    Tick :D
    Happy days. Another walk in the park type swim. Slow and easy but longer than last week. I knew I had another few 100m in me then :). Was tiring as the laps ticked away but concentrated on holding form, relaxed stroke and breathing, counting laps and keeping it all together, as well as a bit of gritting the teeth and keeping the head down at times too. Obviously there's a lot more work to do on getting the pace up but its do-able once I keep working at it. I'm put my name down for coaching so I'm waiting to hear back about that also. I think I've put in a decent swim focus this month and its paying dividends :)
    3k, 1:14:30, 2:29/100m

Travelled to Kerry with work. The boss drove down from Dublin to Limerick and I picked him up and drove the rest of the way together. 20mins into the drive he starts shifting uncomfortably in the passenger seat and says "could this seat be wet?". Flashback to where my swimming gear has been hanging out recently :eek:. Whoops :pac:

pm Run - dropped No 1 to her indoor Athletics training at UL and used the time slot to squeeze this one in
    10km, 50:11, 5:01/km
    Best mile split 4:44/km and a bit of WU/WD incl.
    Didn't tie the shoes as tight and helped but still a bit of rubbing. Got some stretching it also as I was waiting around.
    MrsB hitting the mean streets of UL also this evening for her 3rd Boat Club 5km race.

Fri 24/2 - Rest. Going to a Wedding at lunchtime and feeling the effects of a semi-decent weeks effort so far. Didn't have to do much driving this week and I feel the extra energy available. Driving really drains me which can make a difference on whats available for other stuff but still glad to be doing it rather than some of the alternatives :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Fair play Red, great weeks, now the 4K swim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

RedB wrote: »
    6 X 50m hypoxic drills (2x50m with 4 strokes per breath(spb), 2x50m 5 spb, 2x50m 6 spb) Near death experience :eek:

Do hypoxic drills work? Never tried them myself so would be interested to hear.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Theyre called lungbusters where I come from. ;) I hate them, because Im a 2spb breath swimmer. Weve done sets of 100 x 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. I can only manage them if I slooowww evvverrrrythhhiiinnnnggg dowwwwnnn. :)

Do hypoxic drills work? Never tried them myself so would be interested to hear.

I have nooooooo idea :D. First time doing them and while there may be benefits in being concious of keeping a steady form for an extended period without "worrying" about breathing, that could be tackled via a snorkel also. I have read reports of no breathing advantages from it but I really don't know :o.

Sat 25/2 51km cycle, 2hrs+, puncture city. Don't even want to talk about it. Waste of a day.

Sun 26/2 15km LSR, 1:23, 5:32/KM, No energy, laboured run :(. Yuck :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats on the 3k straight swim.

Are you sure you're supposed to hold your breath. I would have thought you just exhale in a more controlled manner?

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats on the 3k straight swim.

Are you sure you're supposed to hold your breath. I would have thought you just exhale in a more controlled manner?

Sorry, yes, its meant to be about exhaling slower also and even surviving on whats left after you do that i.e. "empty" lungs. Its not supposed to be about holding your breath. << I think >>

Mon 27/2 lunchtime run and pm Club swim session
    0:45 run, 8.6km, 5:15/km - stiff quads and a bit of a struggle despite intending it as an easy run

1700m Swim
    200m WU
    4 X 50m Kick Drills
    Main Set - 4 x 100m 15-20sec rest, 2 x 200m 15-20sec rest, 1min rec, 2 x 200m 15-20sec rest
    100m WD

100m, 1:56, 26spl
    100m, 2:13, 30spl
    100m, 2:14, 29spl
    100m, 2:18, 30spl
    200m, 4:43, 30spl, 2:22/100m
    200m, 4:46, 29spl, 2:23/100m
    200m, 4:50, 29spl, 2:25/100m
    200m, 4:49, 29spl, 2:25/100m

Disappointed again with these sessions. Each time seems like my first time and not in a good way :rolleyes:. Clumsy, rushed, breathless, out of control :o. Didn't seem to engage any core or get a steady stroke going :(. Flapped about for the session and used up energy but nothing to show for it :confused:. Maybe its because its been over 4 days since I last swam Thurs am but I had no feel for the water or power. I feel that I need to be cranking up my speed as I should be ok on endurance but I have nothing to show as regards pace. Note to self - maybe more speeds sets needed.

Tues 28/2 am Brick
    0:45 Turbo, 0:20 run
    Haven't done one of these in a while so medium effort
    5min WU, set cal at 0
    40min with 3x5min medium efforts after 10min. Avg 211W
    Quick transition into runners and top
    20min run, 3.9km, 5:08/km
    Nice morning and enjoyable session albeit easy effort.

Weds 29/2 am Master swim

WU
    6 x 50m Hypoxic drill on 2/4/6 breaths per 100m with fins
    200M FC with fins

Main Set
    3 x 300m (rest of group were doing 400m :o), 4 x 100m (50m steady/50m hard alternate, meant to be more but coach pulled us up)
    6:23, 2:08/100m, 27spl
    6:18, 2:06/100m, 27spl
    6:27, 2:09/100m, 28spl (includes slight hold up / break to let a fish through)
    1:48, 24spl
    1:59, 27spl
    2:10, 28spl
    1:55, 26spl (extra rest before this as I skipped one)

WD
    6 X 50m easy, focus on technique

I wasn't happy during this session as I felt I was struggling the entire time and going backwards from the group. The splits are even flattering as they're not to the end of the lane due to the size of the group but they're not as bad as I felt they'd be. Felt very flat on the energy front and again no power in the stroke or decent body position / technique. I seem to fall apart once there's any push on the pace and my breathing is very ragged. I was tired last night as a result of yesterdays brick :o and I gave the foam roller its first outing but was still stale this morning. Hip is improving but still a bit of a niggle.
    Ho humm another day in IM training paradise :)

Lunchtime 9km run 0:45:10 with 3 x 3min hard/1min recovery after 10min
    4:07/km, 4:09/km, 4:05/km for the hard

Evening 1:00 Turbo with 3 x (5min hard/3 min spin) after 15min
    5min WU at 200W?, set Cal to 0, Setting +1
    10min at 220W
    3 x (5min at 300W /3min at 220W)
    Balance at 250-270W
    Avg 255W

Thurs 1/3 aerobic lunchtime run and 1900m pm swim (while No 1 at indoor track training)
    9.06 km run, 0:45, 4:58/km

300m WU
    8 x 50m Drills with fins (Superman, One Arm Stroke, Side, Chest down)
    10x100m off 2:30
    200m WD

Fri 2/3 Rest. Travel to Dublin with work. Long day.

Sat 3/3 Long Bike with 0:15 run off it.
    Early start. On the road at 6:10am in the dark, on my own but the only slot of the day. Done by 10am. In Nenagh track by 11am with No 1 :).
    Similar to previous circuit with slight add on at end. Out old N7 towards Nenagh with tailwind, turn at R499 back to Rear Cross via Kiloscully. Back to Newport GAA and turn to Murroe, Boher Church loop. Quick change of footwear and what felt like a slow shuffle but was actually with a high cadance again. Blowing heavy quickly but kept it in control and could have gone on except for time constraint. Very tired and hungry that evening.
    91.35km, 3:30, 26.1kph
    3km, 0:15:07, 5:02/km

Sun 4/3 Long Run (Ballycotton 10 road race) and easy spin Turbo
    I was seriously thinking of not doing this as I hadn't been doing a lot of running in the last few months bar the basic few hours here and I thought it was a long way to go for a long run that I could just do from my front door. Originally I thought I'd be in a better position to spank it with the IM training but the running volume is relatively low at the moment even though its regular and I haven't done a 10miler since St Stephans Day and even that was a stretch. My buddy BB was nursing an injury and there was a family event on that I was missing and other stuff also. I've picked up the pace and frequency a bit on the running over the last 10 days even though I missed a session on Fri with work and I decided that if BB was going, I'd go and that's what happened :rolleyes:. I picked him and a neighbour up around 9:30am and rolled into Car Park 1 in Ballycotton just after 11am. Sorted out a number issue for the neighbour in the school, got some water on board and had a quick walk up the town followed by some soup and brown bread. Back to the car to change with a bit of discussion on what to wear due to the sun showers and cool wind and then hustled back up town, taking note of the distance markings on the road over the last 1km. Not much of a WU or stretch but dropped the gear and got to the start line about 15min before the 'off' on a nice sunny spring day but with a cool breeze in our faces. Good buzz around the place as usual.
    My PB here is 1:18:00 which is a 7:48/M pace so I said I'd target a 7:45/M pace for the crack and see how I felt with that ;). The 3 of us split up in the crowd with the neighbour moving forward and BB hanging back as he wasn't even sure if he'd be able to finish it if the injury flared up again so he was going to take it handy. Off we went and the usual sorting out of the crowd took a bit of effort but I still went through the first 2miles on target albeit with the benefit of the hill :). The pace dropped then as the course levelled and I felt the effect of the breeze but I was chugging along feeling relatively ok and my 5mile splt was 39:19 which averaged 7:52/M. However I was feeling surprisingly strong and comfortable with easy breathing, solid legs and good mental strenght. I picked up the pace when the wind shifted as we turned for home and was motoring nicely past people constantly for a few miles and even got a 7:3X/M split in there before starting to feel a bit under pressure at 8M and knowing the hill was coming. I calculated a PB was on if I could hold it together and I took an Isogel even though I knew it might only have time to give me a mental rather than physical boost :rolleyes:. I struggled a small bit on the early part of the hill but came good again and got a solid controlled pace going all the way through the village with no distress. I came home fairly strong in the end with a chip time of 1:17:07 and a new PB on a 7:43/M pace. My garmin had me running a slightly better pace but a longer distance so I need to keep that in mind for future events if I'm targeting a time. My 2nd 5 mile split was 37:48 which was a decent negative split run (7:52/7:34) and I was happy with the run as I was well within myself, was pretty comfortable throughout (mostly) and enjoyed it. My 2 passengers were equally satisfied with their performances so a good day out was had by all :).
    10M, 1:17:07

0:30 Turbo 100+rpm. Just spinning the stiffness out of the legs. Did some foam rolling and stretching also.

Happy enough with the week as I was just about hitting the 13hour target.

Been a bit busy at work and at home so didn't get a chance to do a proper update for a few days and then the backlog just got worse and here I am over 2 weeks later with an 'epic' update due :(. Unfortunately training hasn't been epic but I have been tipping away making most of the plan where I could. Mentally its a grind at times as I don't seem to be making much progress, yet I'm putting in as much effort as I can afford. There are good days and bad days and bored days and I'm trying to convince myself to stick to the plan but it doesn't always happen. Physically I'm dragging a pain in my left hip probably due to a tight hamstring along with the regular pain in my right elbow which flairs up from time to time when swimming. General tiredness and bugs in the house also rock the boat as well as work and family pressures. I dropped from 90kg+ at Xmas to 85kg at the end of Feb but getting regular grief from MrsB about being a bag of bones and looking too skinny have made me hit the food trough as much as I can! I had targeted a race weight of 80kg but I'm going to leave that out there for a while yet as, while I could work towards it, I can't handle the hassle right now! I can see it happening naturally as the peak training kicks in. I've been off 'everything' (All choc, cakes, biscuits, crisps, sweets, desserts, etc) for Lent so no sugar fix for the last few weeks has also contributed to the load :o. I'm wondering if its counterproductive and if I'd be better having a reward structure instead :). Anyway, gotta go for now but will be back later with a proper update.

Took my eyes off the prize there for a while as we had a Confirmation in the house and was generally focused elsewhere.

Week 15 of 30
    Mon 05/03 - 1800m Tri Club pm swim session
    200m WU
    4x50m side Drills with fins
    5x100m (1:51, 2:00, 2:04, 2:18?, 2:23? and 25-29SPL)
    2x300m (7:00, 7:19 and 29-33SPL)
    3x100m (2:12, 2:08, 2:32)

Tues 06/3 - 2:00 pm steady Turbo watching Apocalypto DVD
    Short work travel visit to Portlaoise for meeting. The ladies of the house all went to Dublin for the X-Factor concert so me and mini-me had the run of the house :rolleyes:.
    From memory I think I held an average of 220W:confused:

Wed 07/03 - 1:00 am Turbo with 4x(5min Z4 / 3min spin) at 0:15. Average 240W:confused:

Thurs 08/03 - 1:00 am Swim and 0:45 lunchtime run
    300m WU
    10X50M Drills with fins
    12x100m off 2:30 (2-2:14/100m). Happy with them

8.94km, 0:45, 5:02/km

Fri 09/03 - Rest - Travel to Kerry with work

Sat 10/03 - Long run
    17km, 1:31:48, 5:23/km
    Schedule had to be tweeked a bit so swopped normal long run + cycle days

Sun 11/03 -Long cycle and short run off the bike
    4:05, 106km, 25.9kph.
    Old N7, R499, Kiloscully, Rear Cross, Newport, Annacotty with 1 bike-mad-banking buddy plus Abington to Boher Church on my own where I met the Tri Club just starting out so I turned back to Abington with them before letting them away and back home via Annacotty. Felt the effects of the long run on the legs when dropped climbing :o
    19:58, 4km, 4:59/km

Only 11:30 hour week instead of scheduled 14 hour :( but happy with quality

Week 16 of 30
    Mon 12/03 Tri Club pm Swim. Watch battery died after coming on in the bag. No idea of any numbers :(

Tues 13/03 am 1:00 Run with 5 x (3min Hard, 1min easy) at 0:10
    12km, 1:03:55, 5:19/km with 4:43,4:42,4:38,4:27, 4:29/km hard paces
    Travel to Wexford and Carlow with Work

Weds 14/03 am 1:00 Masters Swim
    300m 6:27
    200m 4:00
    200m 4:21
    7 x 100m 1:50-2:05* (back of pack so not accurate)
    4 x 50m 0:55-0:59

Thurs 15/03 No record of anything - Rest :confused:

Fri 16/03 am Swim
    300m WU
    11X100M off 2:30-3:00 (2:02-2:29)
    Travel to Kerry with work

Sat 17/03 am Long Cycle with short run off bike
    100km, 3:29,28.7kph
    Tipp town,Galbally, Caherconlish with 3 others. A decent cycle on a flat circuit
    3.21km, 15:01, 4:41/km

Sun 18/03 am Long Run
    17km, 1:29:24, 5:15/km

Poor week. 9.5hr instead of scheduled 13. Not looking good Red :(

More epic update to follow :rolleyes:

Week 17 of 30
    Mon 19/3 - Rest. No Tri club swim session due to Bank Holiday so rested up as per schedule :)

Tues 20/3 - am Swim + pm Run
    800m straight, 19:41, 2:27/100m, 29spl
    8? x 100m off 2:30 in on 2:08-2:19. Remember not feeling the love and leaving a bit early with bad taste re swimming :(. Not happy.

12.45km run, 1:07:05, 5:23/km with 3x(6min hard/2min easy) at 10min.
    Hard pace was 4:28/km, 4:45/km, 4:48/km. Middle split was only for 5min :(.

Wed 21/3 - am Brick
    21.15km 0:47:28, 26.7kph
    5.72km, 0:30, 5:16/km

Thurs 22/3 - am turbo. Travel to Clonmel with work.
    1:15:00. Avg 245w
    5min wu, set cal at +1

Fri 23/3 - 'Rest'. Confirmation in the house so mad busy with family.

Sat 24/3 - Long Run
    17km, 1:30, 5:16/km

Sun 25/3 - Cancelled my long cycle at last minute. First time missing a long cycle this year I think but family time was needed. Might have to look at pushing long runs to midweek to have a full free family day as its not on to be always heading out the door or to be tired and recovering or even just scheduling in training to other life stuff. I've tried to do my training around family / work life but its a real struggle at times and they didn't sign up for that so sometime the wheels come off the wagon. This was one of those times :o. Demons in the head also don't help as doubts and anxieties come into play when tired and stressed :(. The 'don't quit' mantra is getting a good airing some days :eek:..........

Shocking poor training week at 6hours :eek::(:o

Week 18 of 30
    Schedule calls for Oly Race week which isn't happening yet so skipping onto the next weeks rota instead.

Mon 26/3 - pm Tri club swim
    4x50m side Drills with fins
    3x200m off 4:50-5:10. In on 4:20, 4:42, 4:46
    3x200m off 5:30. In on 4:45, 4:50, 5:00
    4x50m hard. 0:52, 0:57, 1:04, 1:04. Arms dead after first one :o
    100m wd

Tues 27/3 - am Run
    12km, 1:00, 5:00/km with 3 x (5min hard/1min easy) on 10:00.
    Hard paces were 4:23/km, 4:27/km and 4:39/km (last split only 3min long :()

Wed 28/3 - pm Turbo. Travelled to Dublin with work.
    1:15:00. Avg 245w
    5min wu, cal and set at 0
    5min at 200w
    20min at 250w
    5min at 190w
    20min at 275w
    5min at 190w
    15min at 220

Thurs 29/3 - am Swim and pm Brick. Travel to Kerry with work
    300m wu 6:39
    13x100m off 2:30
    600m wd 14:40

5min wu, cal and set at +1
    Pyramid 1min, 2min, 3min, 4min, 5min, 4min,3min, 2min, 1min hard (290w?)with 1min easy in between each.
    5min wd
    Avg 247 w

4M run, 30:18, 4:42/km :).
    Can't believe my brick runs sometimes as the high bike cadance transfers to faster leg speed.
    4:51, 4:43, 4:40, 4:33

Fri 30/3 - am Masters Swim and pm run
    800m WU with fins
    250m 5:15
    150m 3:15
    200m 4:23
    200m 4:25
    200m 4:18
    5 x 50m 0:52-1:01

17km, 1:17:33, 5:10/km

Sat 31/3 - Long cycle
    3:50, 104km, 27.1kph
    Out at 6:30am for an hour with Banker to Birdhill return before meeting up with Alps and Kevin7 at 7:30am. Murroe, Boremans Hill, Newport, Kiloscully, R499, Birdhill, Killaloe, O'Briens Bridge, Dalys Cross.
    Tired legs from previous days run meant I was dropped on every bump, incline and hill :(. Alps got a puncture at Birdhill and Banker got one at Killaloe but I had to leave them there to sort it as I was rushing to Dublin with the family to do some babysitting :rolleyes:. Cranky for rest of day as probably should have left MrsB drive!

Sun 01/04 - Long Slow Run
    A trip to Dublin Zoo and then headed out at 9pm for a slow wandering loop along the N11 and the ghost offices in Sandyford.
    18km, 1:41, 5:39/km

A better week at approx 13.5hrs but tiring :).

Mon 2/4/12 1800m Tri Club pm Swim after returning from Dublin by Train
    6x50m WU with fins
    4x(25m scull, 25m fc)
    3x400m off 11min (9:29,9:38,9:56, 26-32spl)
    100m wd

Tues 3/4/12 Rest. Slept very badly over the weekend and dog tired.:(

Wed 4/4/12 am Run
    12km, 1:03:14, 5:16/km.
    Felt dead to the world doing this :(. Cold and tired and devoid of motivation. Felt a bit better after when I saw the pace wasn't as slow as I thought. :)

Thurs 5/4/12 am Swim and pm Turbo
    1500m? straight swim 36min? Watch went gaga during this set and I wasn't really keeping track :o
    4?x100m off 2:30. Head not in the game :rolleyes:

Travel to Carlow Rtn with work

2x20min Turbo sessions
    0:10 WU, cal to 0 and set to +1
    0:20 at 257W
    0:05 easy
    0:20 at 268W
    0:05 wd
    Nice session out the back under the stars :)

Fri 6/4/12 am Run 1:15 with 10min hard at 1:00
    15.12km, 1:16:23, 5:03/km
    Could only manage 7:30 hard but at 4:15/km pace. Happy overall.

Sat 7/4/12 am Long Cycle
    110.68km, 4:01:14, 27.5kph
    On my own at 9am. Abington, Boher, Tipp town, Galbally,Caherconlish, Ballyneety, Childers Road, Tipp Rd until I had the 4hrs nailed. The first 2.5 hours were ok but then I hit a headwind on the way back into Limerick which was draining and sucked the momentum and energy from me. Had gels at 2.5 and 3.5 hr marks.

Sun 8/4/12 Rest. Family day. I'm going to try to shift my long run to mid-week as I need to have at least one day of undivided attention to family stuff. I just cannot keep doing what I've been doing especially as the longer cycles and runs take up more and more time and energy.
    The end of lent meant home made brownies for breakfast followed by lots of chocolate and biscuits after many weeks of abstainence :D. Going to see Munster get beaten by Ulster in the Heineken Cup was my punishment for gluttony :(

Another poor training week not even making 10hrs but hope to turn a corner now and make the most of the remaining 12 weeks. Following a serious rethink of what I've been doing over the last several weeks, I think my time target is gone at this stage and it'll be a get-around effort from here on in:rolleyes:. Swimming will be purely survival stuff at around 1:30+, the bike might be ok at 6:30ish if I can continue to ramp it up but the run will be ugly afterwards as the miles just aren't in the legs. However I'm going to focus on enjoying the next 12 weeks as much as possible instead of stressing it as that's what its all about at the end of the day. I wish I had it in me to grind out the kind of effort others do but this experiment of one is coming up with different results. Anyways, onwards and upwards.

In my head I'm revising targets downwards too, based on the times Im putting out in training. But getting to that start line is the only thing that really matters, you do what you do after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You seem a but down on yourself - far too early to be revising everything. Have you a race coming up - the IM training is tough going especially when you haven't a clue where you stand so an encouraging performance might reawaken the mojo for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    You seem a but down on yourself - far too early to be revising everything. Have you a race coming up - the IM training is tough going especially when you haven't a clue where you stand so an encouraging performance might reawaken the mojo for you

CW is right on this. During any 30 week training programme you are going to loose focus / interest. This will pass. I had a rough couple of weeks around this time too for my first IM when I used Fink's 30 week plan. Your numbers look solid so don't be pushing your time out yet. There's a long ways to go yet and a lot of swimming, biking and running to do. As the slowest IM'er on ART (me that is not you :)) the best advice I can give you is to stay positive, if your body tells you it needs a break then take a break, you'll benefit more from a rest day than a poor session in the long run IMHO. Keeping a positive attitude for the run in is important, you're way beyond the 'just get round' standard. Just my 2c.

Oryx wrote: »
    But getting to that start line is the only thing that really matters, you do what you do after that.

Getting to the finish line is the only thing that matters and I'm a past Master on finishing ugly :D
    Bring it on! :)
    catweazle wrote: »

Defo was a bit down on myself as the 'slogfest' went on and on and on but took some quality rest time over the Easter w'end and recharged the batteries a bit which has helped. I suppose that's the trick with this lark - finding the sustainable balance between pushing yourself and recovery. Another big issue on the home front was the impact on quality family time which was making life into just a sort of 'existance'. There was no fun there for a while :o. You need to be having fun :p. I don't really want to say more here but hopefully I've turned a corner for the better in that department :).

I do have a race coming up with the Joey Hannon Olympic on Sun 29th April. I think I'm going to have to pear back my swim time to approx 35mins (no wetsuit :rolleyes:) but I should be well up for the others. I don't have any other races lined up apart from the Limerick Half Marathon which might be part of an epic club training weekend (tbc). I didn't get into Tri-an-Mhi and I think the Tri-Athy double Olympic might be too close to IMAT:confused:
    griffin100 wrote: »
    CW is right on this. During any 30 week training programme you are going to loose focus / interest. This will pass. I had a rough couple of weeks around this time too for my first IM when I used Fink's 30 week plan. Your numbers look solid so don't be pushing your time out yet. There's a long ways to go yet and a lot of swimming, biking and running to do. As the slowest IM'er on ART (me that is not you :)) the best advice I can give you is to stay positive, if your body tells you it needs a break then take a break, you'll benefit more from a rest day than a poor session in the long run IMHO. Keeping a positive attitude for the run in is important, you're way beyond the 'just get round' standard. Just my 2c.

Agree 100% (apart from the slowest IM'er comment :)) and will be taking every word to heart. Really appreciate all the feedback as I'm training a lot on my own and, while this sure isn't the most riveting log on here, it helps me to have it especially for the good advice and encouragement during dark days :rolleyes:.

Anyhow, its all good in the 'hood again and we're driving on :).

Cashing in my last 'float' week as I reschedule the last 12 weeks. Generally repeating Finks Week 19 tweeked to suit.

Mon 9/4/12 Easy am run. 12.46km, 1:03:38, 5:06/km
    Went to the pool with the kids and thought about squeezing in a few lengths but only 1 lane was available due to a High Performance Session and there was a lot of traffic so skipped it. Bumped into Kevin7 on the deck and agreed to go for an early spin the next morning.

Tues 10/4/12 Easy am cycle. 65km, 2.5hrs, 26kph
    N7, R499, Kiloscully,Newport,Boarmans Hill, Murroe

pm Swim.
    300m WU
    8X50m drills (one arm drills, superman, catchup, pullbuoy)
    3x(3x100m off 2:20). 1 min recovery after 1st set, 2 min recovery after 2nd set
    2:04, 26spl 2:05, 27spl 2:05, 27spl
    2:07, 27spl 2:07, 28spl 2:10, 28spl
    2:08, 28spl 2:10, 28spl 2:17, 30spl
    100m WD

Wed 11/4/12 am Long run, 20.38km, 1:45:03, 5:09/km
    Lovely lovely run. Cool crisp bright morning. Head and legs happy. No bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

You have put in some really good work to this point, as you are so close to the training\suffering etc. you don’t see the true gains made over the past few months,
    Stop worrying about what others on here are doing, and enjoy the next few training blocks and you will be grand and will get your Mojo back.

It must be the weather as we all seem to be in a slump ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Redb, you have hills in virtually all of you long bikes and you have a hatful of 4-5hr rides done. Your swimming has progressed. It won't always be a linear progression Chief so take stock of where you are now and enjoy Joey and the GLR and push on from there. The racing will break up the training a bit. .

Its not too late to do the Athy Double I see a couple of LTC IMAT heads on the entry list. What is the purpose fo a HIM befroe an IM anyway? Instead you could go down to Kilkee and do a 6-7 hour brick.

I'm doing the double in Athy. I know its close but for me it will be a training day/practice run. Should build confidence for the big 'un and help me with any kit issues.

Your work so far looks good to me but I think I'm getting a bit of the same mindset where it seems like there is too much still to do. :) No doubt we will both be fine. Just a question of who will take the slowest IMer crown. (Personally I think I have it in the bag) ;)

Just a question of who will take the slowest IMer crown. (Personally I think I have it in the bag) ;)

I don't think that's a title I'll be giving up to either of you two yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Hey Red B looks like we'll be exiting the water at the same time in Austria - this swimming lark sucks in my opinion :rolleyes:.

Keep the faith not long now, I've opted for the Oly and Sprint in Athy - making a long training weekend of it as i have had bad memories of the river there before :(

I've had a bumpy patch these last weeks and its hard to
    keep focused but the big prize is nearly there - just visulalise the carpet to the finish line, all this preparation will be worth the feeling and emotion when your done...........:D

Thurs 12/4/12 am 1:15 Turbo - 2x20set
    10min WU incl cal to 0 and then set to +1
    20min at 268W
    5min easy
    20min at 286W
    5min easy
    10min at 100rpm (254W)
    5min easy

Out the back again on another beautiful morning. Blue skys, crisp and steam rising :). Found the 2nd set slightly easier in a higher gear, lower cadence.

Had to smile at the reverse smack talk above out of Oryx and griffin100 :D. Slightly different from MrT and JB's version :)

Reverse smack talk is the Irish gene coming out. We are so down on ourselves.

(or it could be a sneaky strategy to keep the other side guessing....)

• Advertisement

Reverse smack talk is the Irish gene coming out. We are so down on ourselves.

(or it could be a sneaky strategy to keep the other side guessing....)

Eehh, in my case it's a refection of my approach to IM and also my general laziness about training. We could get some sub 12hr smack talk going but I don't think it would have the same cache of sub 10hr. For one thing I've no idea what size my FTP is........or what it is for that matter, the only thing I can think of is that it stands for Flaccid Tiny Penis.........as in how big is yours;)

Advertisement