Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its about time - IMAT12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just goes to show, you'll never fare as bad as you think you will in the club sessions. Hopefully you can make it a weekly session. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Thurs 19/1 (cont'd) - 1:00 PM Turbo 100+RPM

10 min WU, Cal to zero,
    20 min at +2 setting, avg 232W
    5 min at 0 setting, avg 195W
    20 min at +1 setting, avg 218W
    5 min at 0 setting, avg 198W
    Main Set Avg 219W

Slowly dragging the average Watts up on this set but concerned that I may be compromising technique while doing so. While I do manage it at 100+RPM I wonder if I should ditch the power element as a target and purely concentrate on technique and especially drills which I don't do at all. I don't have music or TV during the session and it helps to focus on the power reading and try to spin smoothly but I can hear the dead spots at times when I fade a bit when chasing power and then have to readjust.

Fri 20/1 - 0:50 AM Swim with Masters Group.
    Had to bail out early to sort kids and drop to school. (The fact that I was brown bread in the water may also have been relevant :rolleyes:.)

10x50m Kick with fins, no board. Mixture of hands ahead on front and back with 25m stroke.

8 x 50m hard = Did ok but ripped me to shreads :o

1 0:45 :eek: /1:30 per 100m pace/22spl
    2 0:35???/1:11pace/19spl :confused: Must be garbage reading or pulled up short
    3 0:52/1:45/24spl
    4 0:53/1:48/26spl
    5 0:50/1:42/25spl
    6 0:51/1:44/28spl
    7 0:53/1:47/27spl
    8 0:56/1:53/28spl

Was supposed to do 3 x (2x100,1x200,2x100) but only managed 5x100 :(

1 1:52/26spl
    2 2:00/27spl
    3 1:49/26spl
    4 1:59/26spl
    5 2:01/27spl

Got out at this stage because I was goosed and flapping like a 5yr old beginner. Definitely need a lot more work on my swim fitness but at least I'm in the right place now rather than just plodding along on my own.

Small side story - I got a work smartphone a few months ago and have been using it to get the IMTalk podcasts which I then listen to when driving crosscountry with work. They had 2 'filler' podcasts on over Xmas from another series (Fitness Behaviour) that Bevan does separately related to training and I thought I'd subscribe to it also. It didnt have an Android App on the site though so it would've been a bit awkward to get each episode. There was a website feedback form available so I requested a link to an App. I thought it would just go to a hosting company. The following week I'm driving along listening to the latest IMTalk episode when an email pops into my phone. Its from none other than Bevan James Eyles himself querying which series I wanted the App for. Weird feeling driving along listening to him while he was emailing me :). Anyhow, he's now on the case. The following week I'm listening to the next episode and Bevan is going on about Apps and use of Technology etc and I'm thinking 'did I do that?' :D. Funny the way the world works and how its connected at times.

Kia Kaha (as my man Bevan says ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

RedB wrote: »
    Yep, that was me. Hiding in the slow lane that night too if I recollect.

Are you at the club sessions too Benny?

Hey,
    I only started with the club there when the swim sessions start so still a newbie, and getting to know people slowly. hard to make conversation while drowning.

nice swim session this morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

1 1:52/26spl
    2 2:00/27spl
    3 1:49/26spl
    4 1:59/26spl
    5 2:01/27spl

Thats much more like it - doesnt Fink move to three swim sessions a week during the build phase. That and the increased distances will improve the stamina. You will be flying by Austria if you keep at it.

Whats the length of the pool, I was counting last night and I was around 13 strokes for the 18m length

BennyMul wrote: »
    Hey,
    I only started with the club there when the swim sessions start so still a newbie, and getting to know people slowly. hard to make conversation while drowning.

nice swim session this morning,

Tough going though :). I train mainly on my own so I don't know many in the club either apart from a few faces from these swim sessions. Say hi on Monday before we start drowning :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Thats much more like it - doesnt Fink move to three swim sessions a week during the build phase. That and the increased distances will improve the stamina. You will be flying by Austria if you keep at it.

Whats the length of the pool, I was counting last night and I was around 13 strokes for the 18m length

Thanks CW - Yes Fink calls for 3 sessions a week in the Build period which starts in Feb but I haven't been putting in the time or distances required for the Base so I'm playing catchup :o. Once I sort out my stamina, speed, technique and general swim fitness I'll be grand! Thankfully I've got a decent bit of time to try to make inroads in all of that :).

Its the 50m UL Pool and I'm recording stroke cycles (measured on Swimsense as left hand strokes) so double it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Its the 50m UL Pool and I'm recording stroke cycles (measured on Swimsense as left hand strokes) so double it.

Thats what I like to hear, I was thinking 26 lengths for a 50m pool :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks CW - Yes Fink calls for 3 sessions a week in the Build period which starts in Feb but I haven't been putting in the time or distances required for the Base so I'm playing catchup :o. Once I sort out my stamina, speed, technique and general swim fitness I'll be grand! Thankfully I've got a decent bit of time to try to make inroads in all of that :).

I'm on the same plan, for the same race. Havent been making the swim targets either. Just thought Id make you feel better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

What I noticed from the Fink Model is that he seems to assume that you can swim already. Its obvious from early in the plans. The swims don't progress much either. Its more about building hours on the saddle and the run. I ditched his swim sessions for a mix of club ones and my own long sets.

Guys at this stage you are circa 20 weeks out. Still lots of time. However by the time the IM/peak phase of 10 weeks hits you will want to just get through the swim sessions without them taking much out of you. Your long bike and run will be paramount. I'd recommend aiming for a 3k straight swim/swim set by end March.

RedB fair play getting down to the pool session twice this week. Bennymul is swimming well at the moment so hang onto his feet if ye hook up. A goal for you could be to make your way up that lane gradually until you are sharing the lead out. Get the swim fitness up by end April so you are ready for some long steady OW swim out at Castleconnell

Sat 21/1 Long Cycle 81.25km, 3:15, 24.9kph
    Testing cycle with blustery wind and a tasty climb. Headed out in the afternoon for a change with Kevin7 and another neighbour to Castleconnell, O'Briens Bridge and out the Broadford road but turned off it and headed to Kilaloe via The Gap. First time up it from this side and my previous attempt from the opposite side had resulted in a walk of shame :o. We were a bit concerned about tackling it with compact gears and it was straight into the lowest gear from the start. I even spun the back wheel and nearly fell over before I got any sort of rhythm going. Thankfully there were several very short 'flatter' sections that I managed to recover through but the last section was head down, breathing like a mad thing until hitting the treeline where it got manageable again. The wind was behind us also which made a big difference but I was just happy to hit the top without falling over :). Coming down it was a nightmare though and I was way out of my comfort zone with grass up the middle of the road and gravel and potholes on either side of the that. Whiteknuckle stuff :eek:. Back to the N7 on the small road from Kilaloe and considered heading towards the R499 to Newport but were concerned about it getting dark so just headed back to Birdhill and up the hilly side road there to the Newport Rd and back to Limerick. The wind was really testing us at times but we still had enough time, light and madness in us for a left turn out the Cappamore Road to Abington and back in by Boher Church. A tough enough cycle and I was starving when we got back as I'd had no nutrition which was pretty dumb but the Abington detour had unexpectedly added on nearly an hour. It was worth it though as it was a good tough challange and I learned from it. The Turbo spinning sessions probably helped my legs operate at a decent cadence and that also helped on the climbing. I didn't have the legs for fast sections but I'm definitely making inroads overall.

Sun 21/1 LSR 11.35KM, 1:00, 5:17/KM
    Really struggled with this one as went to Neil Delamare the night before and had a few pints after and junk food on the way home when the munchies kicked in :o. (I blame the long cycle :p). Anyway, I wasn't laughing this morning as I plodded along with tight quads and low energy levels. Oh well, serves me right :rolleyes:.

Went to the pool with the Kids in the afternoon and snuck in a very mixed 1000m in various FC, BC, Breast Strokes in between hoping over and back to the big Inflatable, shallow section, coaching, etc :).

Just about hit 11 hour target but not fully as per Schedule.

• Advertisement

I did ten hours as per the plan this week, not 11? And good cycle there man. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    I did ten hours as per the plan this week, not 11? And good cycle there man. :)

Whoops - me bad :o. I'm 2 weeks 'ahead' of you as I've factored in some slippage on the schedule. But I still should have only done 10 hours and I should've done a longer Long Run :eek:. Guess I need to check my schedule more frequently :o.

The good cycle made up for a missed Brick session during the week and I put in a bit more swimming than scheduled as I try to dig myself out of a hole :rolleyes:. Tired now and I'll sleep tonight before the madness begins again :).

Yeah more and more I'm finding sleep is an essential part of this plan :)

Mon 23/1 - 1hr am run and pm Tri club swim session
    Felt wreaked during the run. Not happy. Junk miles :( 11.66km, 1:02, 5:18/km
    Poor swim session also. Met Bennymul and tried hanging out in his fast lane but chickened out after first 2 x 100m when I could see the fastest guys coming back into me as I was about to start a 200m and I didn't want to hold them up :o. Don't recall fully what we did but generally a pyramid I think.
    The tough cycle on Sat and the night out without enough recovery took a good bit out of me :(. Not good.

Tues 24/1 - 1:15 Brick Travelled to Dublin overnight with work so had to make do with a reclined bike machine in poor hotel gym.
    0:45 'Bike' at high rpm, 0:30 run 3.5M?

Wed 25/1 - Rest. Travelled home and busy home evening. Needed recovery as felt stale and motivation in my boots. No swim.

Thurs 26/1 - 1:15 pm Turbo 100+rpm
    5min WU and set cal to 0
    1:10 at 0 setting, concentrating on spinning circles rather than chasing power. Went up and down a few gears through Recovery Zone, Sweet Spot and Hard Zone while keeping cadence up. Hitting 300W in hard zone. Felt like a good session. Avg 245W was a bonus.

MrsB away overnight so swim option still not available Thurs/Fri.

Fri 27/1 - 1:00 Run.
    Did NOT want to do this and put it off as long as I could but actually turned out to be a decent run and I felt great after it. I love my running :). MMMMM Endorphines :D
    12:19km, 4:55/km

Sat 28/1 - Long cycle.
    7:30am start in the dark and out to Askeaton and back with four other neighbours. It was cold (-1 ish) and damp. One guy was new and bit off more than he could chew so we ended up coming back slowly as he was hanging. The cold and wet was seeping into our bones as we weren't generating much heat at that pace but I tried making the most of it by spinning easy and staying down on the bars as much as possible as I tend to sit up a lot. Couldn't open my helmet when I got home due to frozen hands and then had nasty pain as they thawed out. Was happy enough with the cold but easy cycle as I feel I overdid it last week with an extended effort that threw me off for the following few days.
    3:30,77km,22kph

Sun 29/1 - Long run
    Feeling a bit the worst for wear after a late cards night with neighbours where I had some decent home measures of Gin to deal with, I was a bit cautious about how this would go, considering last weeks debacle. However it turned out to be a pleasant run all things considered and I was quite satisfied to step up the duration with just minor difficulty near the end :rolleyes:.
    17km, 1:30, 5:17/km

And so the base training period comes to an end and I'm reasonably satisifed apart from my swimming which needs to be concentrated on quickly. The specific turbo sessions have helped my cycling especially the high rpm stuff. I've gotton into as much of a training rhythm as possible in terms of keeping to the schedule albeit with work and family constraints necessitating various regular tweeks. I'm very satisfied with the support from home especially throughout January as its generally been positive and the family are doing their own sports stuff also which puts us all on the same page mainly :). The kids have even seen Utube clips of the IronKids event in Austria and are asking questions about the distances involved :D. I'm generally making the correct run and cycle sessions and once I factor in some recovery I'm generally feeling on top of it. Stretching and core work still hasn't happened but needs to :(. I've sorted some recovery tights but also need to pick up a foam roller as I'm feeling tightness in my legs that could cause problems if not dealt with. So, overall, so far so good :cool:

And now the fun starts - Build time :rolleyes:

Mon 30/1 - pm 1500m Tri Club Swim Session
    Travelled to Dublin for work and just made it back in time to go straight to the pool as I had my gear in the car. Unfortunately the gear was sitting there unused for a week and my swimsense watch had lost its charge so no data available. I can say that it felt like swimming through treacle as I had no feel for the water at all unsurprisingly. I struggled badly with sculling drills as my legs sank and I needed 3 floats to keep them up :eek:. I did ok on the main set as I relearned how to swim (badly) but couldn't breath bilaterally :(. Broken record time - I need to sort out my swimming pronto or I'll be backstroking and breaststroking my way to T1 :mad:.
    100m WU
    4 X 50M sculling drills
    100m
    200m
    300m
    400m
    100m - Time up
    100m WD

Tues 31/1 - am 1:00 run with 5 x 1 min Pick Ups (PU), 1 min easy after 10min.
    Mr Fink says its time to bring on some lactate :D. Had to run easy for several minutes after PUs but came good.
    11.5km, 1:00, 5:13/km.

Hey Redb
    I am trying to hit the pool after work, usually Wed and Fri if your interested or miss the early morning ones. I wont be able to help with problems, but the company may help you out.

Hey Redb
    I am trying to hit the pool after work, usually Wed and Fri if your interested or miss the early morning ones. I wont be able to help with problems, but the company may help you out.

Thanks BM but I'm usually juggling my schedule around work travel so much its hard to commit to a regular slot. Wed is definitely out as I'm tied up elsewhere but I'll aim for the Fri post work slot if I miss the early morning ones. Its good to commit to those 'windows' as otherwise I'll miss out. Appreciate it. You're motoring good yourself. Enjoy the recovery week :).

Wed 01/02 1500m pm Swim

200m WU
    1000M TT 21:50, 2:11/100M
    3 x 100m WD

Piercing headache again as a result of straight swim :(. Swopped in this extra swim instead of a turbo brick. Bit of a crazy day as missed am slot and had to squeeze it into a tight timeband after work. Wednesday is always a bit extra mental at home with multiple activities crisscrossing in a short spell. Monday is equally busy but seems easier after the weekend. Come to think of it, there always seems to be something on most days but I dread Wednesday the most as I also have to prepare for Cubs which I help run :D. Signed up with MrsB for Great Limerick Run Half Marathon on May 6th. Now she wants the am training slots! :rolleyes:

Thurs 02/02 1200m am Swim

200m WU
    4x50m Pullbuoy
    4x50m Fist
    4x50m Kick with float
    4x50m one arm side superman rotate thingie :confused: with fins
    2x100m FC (1:57, 26SPL and 2:04,27-29SPL) Feeling the effort :o

Had to bail out early to help get kids sorted at home after a bit of a middle-of-the-night incident with the youngest. Thankfully had gone to bed at a decent time so not too disruptive. Glad I got the session in though and feeling good after. I'm more interested in increasing the frequency of my swim sets and getting basic quality work done now on my technique rather than hitting yards as I feel I'll get greater gains there initially.

Turning into a bit of a swimfest here the last few days :rolleyes:

Thurs 2/2 (cont'd) pm 1:15 Turbo 100+rpm
    5min WU, set cal at 0, 0 setting
    10min medium and then 5 x 1min hard / 1 min easy
    10min easy recovery
    20min medium at +1 setting
    15min medium at 0 setting
    5min easy WD
    Avg 253W :)
    Decent session but tough going at times especially on the PUs. Hammered it on the first one and saw the watt meter going vertical . ...300W..350W..400W..450W.."she canna' take much more of this Captain! the dilitium crystals are starting to melt!"...500...maxed it there at 507W :eek:. I didn't come close to that figure again but I had a look around the pain cave on the 2nd and 3rd one, thought about redecorating it on the fourth one, but was begging for mercy to get out of it on the fifth one. Its a scary place and the alarm bells are going off all over the place screaming "Get the f*ck out of here!". I suppose thats the point of going there, to get used to that level of effort and silence the alarm bells :confused:
    Anyway, it took a bit out of me but felt there was more there so upped the resistance for a spell but felt it was taking from the smooth cadence :rolleyes: so rolled it back a notch and just concentrated on that for the rest. Happy with the increase in average which I'm going to use as my new working FTP for what its worth.

Fri 3/2 am 2200m Swim with Masters
    700m WU Various 50m easy kick, fc, bk st with fins
    4 x 50m (25fast, 25easy)
    4 x 100m HARD off 4min. Think I got a 1:50 in there somewhere and then it was my first time in the pain cave on a swim :o.
    6 x (100 + 50) endurance. Was blowing hard on these until the Coach told me to ease back a bit and concentrate on technique.
    Had to split then and travel to Wexford with work.
    Was supposed to do a 1:00 pm run but the slot was gone by the time I got home and I wrote it off :(.

Sat 4/2 Long Cycle with 15min run
    Pretty much as per plan but some speed work thrown in as we chased a guy home ;) but I was surprised at how sluggish my legs were feeling :(. Out the old N7 towards Nenagh for an hour and turned into a headwind where one of our group of five put the foot down as he needed to be back early. Myself and my Alps buddy decided to chase him down after a few minutes as the other two were happy to spin but he was fairly motoring so we really had to work hard to reel him in over several KMs where we were maxing out at 40+KPH into the wind :eek:. Was kinda bombed after we caught him near Birdhill and we rode in a chain back to Annacotty where he headed home and then me and the buddy added on a back road loop out to Boher Church and back in the Tipp road. Dropped the bike at home and then a quick 15min run which was tough. The running legs were asleep, the feet were numb and I was doing a lot of heavy breathing on the second half. However the decent bike cadence transferred to a fast run cadence so I was actually tipping along nicely compared to my normal run pace. Thankfully I was home again quick enough but I definitely feel the effects of the effort. Now just a small matter of entertaining 22 kids at No3's birthday party this afternoon :eek:. TG for indoor soccer pitches :D.
    Cycle 71.55km, 2:40, 26.7kph
    Run 3.24km, 15:04, 4:39/km :D

Sun 5/2 LSR 1:12:44, 13.21KM, 5:30/KM
    Back up to Dublin for the Welsh Rugby game. First time in the Aviva and a sad ending :-( . Staying over for work tomorrow and did my run this evening after a takeaway dinner. Really bad idea. Enjoyed the easy run but "GI Issues" were a concern at times.

• Advertisement

Mon 6/2 1600m pm Tri Club Swim
    Arrived back late from working in Dublin and had a sluggish swim pretty much straight from the car :(.

200m WU
    50M Catch up, 50M fc
    2x(12.5M hard, 37.5M easy)

400m forgot to start watch
    200m, 4:37, 2:19/100M, 27SPL. supposed to be 400m but interupted by coach starting TT.
    400m TT, 8:50, 2:13/100M, 28SPL
    4x 50m wd
    Had a quick chat with BennyMul before racing home to let the babysitter away.

Tues 7/2 lunch run and post work swim
    9km Run 45:09, 5:01/km incl 5min hard (4:05/km) after 10min. Didn't want to go as legs were very tight especially hamstrings. Had a good stretch afterwards which helped.
    1400m Swim
    200m WU 4:27, 2:13/100, 27SPL
    6 X 100M (2:01-2:05, 26-27SPL)
    6 X (25M FC, 25M Kick front, 25m Kick back, 25m backstroke).
    Really struggled with breathing during kick front as had no board, arms in front meant I was going slow and bobbing up and down trying to catch a breath.

Wed 8/2 2300M am Masters swim
    WU 200m FC with fins
    12 x 50m FC with fins. Real easy to hit 0:45/50m with fins :). Massive difference to body position and effort.
    300m + 3 x 100m (6:11,2:04/100, 27SPL + 1:57-2:10, 25-28SPL)
    200m + 4 x 100m (4:14, 2:07/100, 28SPL + 1:52-2:06, 25-28SPL)
    300m (6:30, 2:10/100, 26SPL). Had to bug out then to help get kids to school but was fading anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Looking at this stuff, you're definitely a motivated man - putting the effort in!
    It'll all be worth it in Austria, so keep it up!

Get work Red,
    Did you get any swimming pointers Monday night ?

Ive been doing a streamlined kick (no board) since September when the coach banned kickboards. At first it was very hard but its faster now than with the board. Takes getting used to alright.

Get work Red,
    Did you get any swimming pointers Monday night ?

The only tip I got was relating to the turns at the end of each length where we were advised to tuck into a streamlined position and kick off and glide below the surface before starting the stroke. Its supposed to give you easy yards during pool based competitions like Joey. :)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Ive been doing a streamlined kick (no board) since September when the coach banned kickboards. At first it was very hard but its faster now than with the board. Takes getting used to alright.

I'm presuming that one still breathes to the side as coming straight up with my head to grab a breath created a real see saw effect :confused:

The only tip I got was relating to the turns at the end of each length where we were advised to tuck into a streamlined position and kick off and glide below the surface before starting the stroke. Its supposed to give you easy yards during pool based competitions like Joey. :)
    We were taught this too. Spent one whole class practising it! (Will be tonnes of use in IM :p) Tho during the 21 x 100m session on Tuesday, that glide became a lifesaver!

I'm presuming that one still breathes to the side as coming straight up with my head to grab a breath created a real see saw effect :confused:
    Nope. Your arms are stretched out with hands locked (one on top of the other) Upper arms by your ears. You dont separate your hands at all and lift your head to breathe. Its very tricky to get used to, you have to concentrate to both keep your hands locked and prevent your feet dropping or stopping the kick. For some reason when I started using a nose clip this became so much harder to do, I mustve been inhaling thru my nose without realising. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I was taught this a few weeks ago and even as a total beginner it's really been a help, I find it gives me great propulsion and definitely gives me extra yards for much less effort.

Again I'm a total beginner so feel free to ignore me but I was taught a different techique for taking a breath when doing the streamlined no board kick. When you want to take a breath you do sculling (little circles with your hands) this brings you up higher in the water to take a breath. Oyrx is much better informed and experienced than me so her way is probably the way to go though :)

Wed 8/2 (cont'd) pm 100+rpm Turbo
    5min WU, set cal to 0 and setting to +1
    50m medium (230W approx - 90% FTP) with 5min hard (280W approx - 110% FTP) after 10min. Avg 237W
    5 min WD at 0 setting.

Thurs 9/2 Rest. Travel to Dublin with work. Early start, late home, chores, bushed :(.
    Picked up at Foam Roller in Irish Fit at lunchtime and read up on some stuff on core work and stretching in the evening.
    Missed a brick session :o but MrsB got in the first of her 5k UL Boat Series runs and is gung ho for the GLR HM.

Fri 10/2 2300m am Masters swim session
    900M WU - 3 x (2 x 100M FC,2 X 50M Kick) with fins although dropped them for last 100m and kicks.

8 x 50m hard. Clocked 0:48-0:58 for these but this was coming up short as I was at the back of the pack :rolleyes:. 20-26spl.

Rag tag mixture of distances then as I dropped some from the groups main set to recover as I was panting like a mad thing.
    200m, 4:05, 27spl, 2:03/100m
    100m, 2:05, 28spl,
    200m, 4:03, 25spl, 2:02/100m
    100m, 1:59, 27spl,
    50m, 0:51, 24spl
    50m, 0:47, 21spl
    300m (200m+100m no break :(), 6:32, 28spl, 2:11

I have to take those times with a massive grain of salt as they definitely were not the full distances due to the grouping at the ends of the lanes and me pulling up short as a result.
    Had to head away early again for the school run but had a quick word with a neighbour who was recommending a Coach. I see the guy there and hear lots of good reports but there's about 10 in his group and its about €15 a session for a block. I wasn't sure if I was up for shelling that out (current economic climate, etc) but then I found out we were paying €10 for a shorter session for the kids. I'm considering it but I don't know if I can make it work on a fixed morning with my work travel irregular schedule also. Hmmmmmmm.......might be time for RedB to put down a few constraints in that direction and invest a bit more time and money in myself :).

Fri 10/2 (cont'd) pm 1:00 run with 5min hard after 45min
    12:14km, 1:00, 4:56/km incl 4:07/km hard.
    Kind of disappointed initially when I saw my hard effort split was slightly slower than Tuesday's one as I felt like I was going like a train and was well able for it. Happier upon reflection considering it was a later effort and the overall split was good for me.

Sat 11/2 Long Cycle with 15min run off the bike
    3:04:18, 86:42km, 28.1kph cycle.
    15:03, 3.08km, 4:53/km run.
    A slightly longer cycle than intended. O'Briens Bridge, Broadford, Kilmurray, Newmarket, Shannon, Coonagh, St Marys. 5 of us were pedaling happily away out towards Newmarket when 3 lads went by us out of the blue. That was a blatant challange to some of our group who went after them and of course I went with them before remembering the effects of lasts weeks sprint effort and calming my rockets. They came back to us anyway coming into Newmarket and there was a bit of cat and mouse into and out of Shannon where we parted company with them heading back towards Sixmilebridge and most of us heading towards home. I met the one guy who stayed with them later and he told me that they also did some hills at Cratloe so I was glad I skipped that. The brick was tough and even though I felt like I was barely shuffling I was still turning over a decent cadance and pace. Hamstring cramp hit in the last minute of the run and I had to pull up. Only time for a quick recovery drink and a shower and I was out the door again to bring the kids swimming. Went to Cobh later with MrsB for a night away while Mammy minded the kids :).

Sun 12/2 Rest
    Left hip has had a nagging twinge since Thursday's Turbo and my knees and hamstrings are feeling the strain as well so I decided to just take it easy for a day for a change. My recent rest days aren't usually proper rest days as they can be busy work days with lots of travel. Not quite what the doctor ordered. Family quality time is also in order. Plus its meant to be a recovery week :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mon 13/2 am LSR
    12KM, 1:06:34, 5:32/km.
    Fairly slow pace but I wanted to make it an easy run and found that easy to do :pac:. Hip still at me and quads tighter than should be.

Advertisement