Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chael Sonnen **Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Anyone that disputes that Sonnen is worthy of a shot based on his skills alone as well is sippin' some strange coolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He was and this was what he was talking about, big personalities getting shots and guys like him being left behind.

I feel sorry for him because I think he's earned it time and time again but he's just not an exciting fighter. Ariel Helwani asked Dana about it and Dana said it out straight, nobody looks forward to seeing Jon Fitch fight, he's a boring fighter and he needs to take that on board.

Yeah it's not really fair on him. He is far from an exciting fighter but he does enough to grind out wins and other fighters find it hard to beat him (apart from Hendricks!:D)

But he's in a tough situation....does he continue fighting (and usually winning) the way he has been, and play it safe but never get another title shot. Or does he go out and try something new to impress the UFC brass but risk losing and still not getting a title shot.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Anyone that disputes that Sonnen is worthy of a shot based on his skills alone as well is sippin' some strange coolade.

He definitely has got some serious talent. Nobody else has even came close to putting a beating on Silva like he did. He would definitely be worthy of a shot even without his trash talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yeah it's not really fair on him. He is far from an exciting fighter but he does enough to grind out wins and other fighters find it hard to beat him (apart from Hendricks!:D)

But he's in a tough situation....does he continue fighting (and usually winning) the way he has been, and play it safe but never get another title shot. Or does he go out and try something new to impress the UFC brass but risk losing and still not getting a title shot.

Hr tried that last time out. He tried blocking punches with his chin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Dean09 wrote: »
    Both Jones and JDS would destroy Sonnen.

I doubt they would destroy him.

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    I doubt they would destroy him.

Jones has superior striking and has an excellent wrestling background. Maybe he's not as decorated a wrestler as Sonnen but his wrestling background along with his striking skills, his size and reach and awkward style would be a nightmare for Sonnen.

JDS has some of the best hands in the UFC. His striking is superior to Sonnen. The only downfall he may have is in the wrestling department. But then as a brown belt (I think?) in bjj he'd be well able for Sonnen on the ground too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Yeah, I'm not saying Sonnen couldn't lose, just that he has a good chin and outstanding grappling.

I think either Jones or JDS would be a more interesting fight than Silva, as great as Silva is I hate watching him fight, he's boring, and has his head up his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I don't see Chael going up in weight and winning a belt i have to say.

I'd rather see him hang on where he is, continue to work on his submissions game. Except for the submission of Stan his entire UFC run has been filled with decision wins...I'd like to see him becoming more prominent at finishing fights in the UFC before taking on guys who could end the fight with one cross or one elbow.

Chael is an interesting cat, beyond his strong showing against Silva where he was still unable to finish a fight he largely dominated, but all of a sudden he has people talking him up against Jones, who has completely destroyed 3 former champs in his weight class in a row, and JDS.

No wonder he was in real estate, the guy can sell a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

He is getting CM punk to walk him out for his next fight. Hope its only a joke but it appears on a good few mea sites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont think you need to worry too much dean, anyone remember that alex reid fight from a few months ago where they tried a big fake storyline, that looked awful.

• Advertisement

I dont think you need to worry too much dean, anyone remember that alex reid fight from a few months ago where they tried a big fake storyline, that looked awful.

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you have to remind me of that? I'd expelled it from my brain :(

MrStuffins wrote: »

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you have to remind me of that? I'd expelled it from my brain :(

Unfortunately it is one of those things that has to be remembered so that it is never repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sure this thread will get interesting over the next few weeks :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, I'm expecting great things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Bisping is in for a verbal beatdown! and then a real one..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

And so it begins!!!!

Spent months training to fight Munoz and now I have to fight a guy who sounds like "PIP" from South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Chael Sonnen - Undefeated Middleweight Champion interview (with belt :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

tweet:D

Hey Gov'nor, I'll finish you faster than you can devour a Bovril & pie, u doughy wanker. Just because u have a Queen doesn't make it English

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

4cf0e102479b11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Appantly Chaels pissed over something, must wait for mermaid to post the video

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

What did Kenny do to piss him off so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Niall0 wrote: »
    What did Kenny do to piss him off so much?
    I imagine he lied ;)

Ariel:"This reminds me of that story you told me before about a bus"
    Chael: "No. That really happened!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Some very strange comments lately.
    I'm starting to lose interest in his interviews. His antics seem to be spiraling out from initially funny to down right strange.

As a fighter he's great though. I would really like to see him finish Bisping but I'd predict a decision win.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Think it was this article that pissed him off
    http://www.hd.net/blogs/rasslin-has-no-place-in-mma/

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

"Watcha gonna do, when you know who?
    How you gonna deal with the Man of Steel?
    How will you react to Sonnen's attack?"

Can't wait for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Just saw this:

http://www.mmashareforum.com/serious-mma-videos-f35/chael-sonnen-post-fight-interview-with-joe-rogan-t51821.html

Obviously where Sonnen nicked the script of his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan from.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

would like ta know how or what makes him decide to go mental sometimes or just decide ta be sound other times

• Advertisement

I think its usually pretty simple, if the focus of the interview is on an opponent who is not Anderson Silva he sounds pretty sincere and respectful.

Advertisement