Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chael Sonnen **Thread**

Options
  • 09-10-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

With 5 months to go until his 'expected' rematch with Anderson Silva i thought this guy deserves his own thread, mainly because i'm 100% sure that the amount of stuff this guy is gonna come out with between now and then could probably justify his own forum!!!

Post 136 Interview with Ariel Hewani

What are your opinions of him? I think he's hilarious and doesn't give a rats about anything.
    The thing is he talks all this crap but actually backs it up as is a top notch fighter
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Saw this earlier on, brilliant!

The guy is a character. For anyone who missed it, this is the interview which apparently got him banned from Brazil. Apparently the Rio Police Chief said he'd arrest him on sight if he got off a plane in Rio airport to corner Yushin Okami

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I like him. Some of the stuff he says is comedy gold. He can be hilarious at times. And he's a very intelligent bloke, he definately knows how to sell a fight.
    My only problem with him is he's in danger of turning it into a WWE farce. All the bad acting and the cheesy one liners in that post fight interview.

I like all the trash talking he does before fights and he comes out with some crackers, but if he keeps up with all the WWE stuff it'll really turn me off him. But then maybe thats the goal--get people to hate your guts so they pay to see you get your face smashed in!

Dean09 wrote: »
    I like him. Some of the stuff he says is comedy gold. He can be hilarious at times. And he's a very intelligent bloke, he definately knows how to sell a fight.
    My only problem with him is he's in danger of turning it into a WWE farce. All the bad acting and the cheesy one liners in that post fight interview.

I like all the trash talking he does before fights and he comes out with some crackers, but if he keeps up with all the WWE stuff it'll really turn me off him. But then maybe thats the goal--get people to hate your guts so they pay to see you get your face smashed in!

Funnily, I don't think it's that bad. He's loud and talks sh*t, but it's not QUITE WWE.

Josh Barnett, now THAT'S horrible! WWE at it's worst. It's so forced! you know he's doing it all for show, whereas even if Chael is doing it just for an angle, it's actually possible that he could actually believe this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Saw this earlier on, brilliant!

The guy is a character. For anyone who missed it, this is the interview which apparently got him banned from Brazil. Apparently the Rio Police Chief said he'd arrest him on sight if he got off a plane in Rio airport to corner Yushin Okami

First time i've seen that in full, was in tears, so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Funnily, I don't think it's that bad. He's loud and talks sh*t, but it's not QUITE WWE.

Josh Barnett, now THAT'S horrible! WWE at it's worst. It's so forced! you know he's doing it all for show, whereas even if Chael is doing it just for an angle, it's actually possible that he could actually believe this stuff!

Yeah that's true. I think at the minute its not too bad but if he gets more and more into it then it could get a bit ridiculous. But for now its just funny as fúck. That stuff about the Nogeira brothers was priceless!

Barnett on the other hand,- don't get me started on that idiot! :D

• Advertisement

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yeah that's true. I think at the minute its not too bad but if he gets more and more into it then it could get a bit ridiculous. But for now its just funny as fúck. That stuff about the Nogeira brothers was priceless!

Barnett on the other hand,- don't get me started on that idiot! :D

And Sonnen knows exactly what he's doing. He talked his way into a title fight in the first place and although Dana said last night's fight wasnt necessarily a No.1 Contender fight, after his speech last night Dana said he'd be "crazy" not to have them rematch now.

This fight will be massive! I look forward to more Sonnenisms between now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Scudzilla I added spoiler tags-in future dont post in that fashion as spoiling results is against the charter.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Scudzilla I added spoiler tags-in future dont post in that fashion as spoiling results is against the charter.

The fights finished 18hrs ago!!!!

Can you remove the spoiler tags tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not everyone can watch it within 18hrs, I'm just finished it now as I was away-others will watch it when free aswell

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878194
    This is what you go by, I'd suggest you reread it

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

No bother, didn't realise it was a week, also didn't think about spoilers when posted it. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Let's not forget the fight itself, I think most people were sure Sonnen would win but I didnt expect him to dominate as easily as he did after a 14 month lay off against a tough (if limited) guy like Stann. Not to mention there was plenty of people ready to write off all his previous fights and claim that he was really just a juiced up strongman. Instead he displayed his usual skills, great wrestling and solid standup and almost unbelievably a very nice submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

With ANY of the reactions, positive or negative his job is done. This fight would be gold dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

the q&a sonnen did with the fans before the last silva fight was the funniest
    i've seen of the lot
    it goes on for a while but it's pure gold

http://www.ufc.com/media/115-sonnen-fight-club-q-a

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That interview in the second post is out of this world! Wanderlei and the Nogueria brothers practising "zhu zhitsu" in bed together :pac:.

The man is an entertainer, there's no doubt about it, but you have to give him credit for his ability on the mat. As fight week culminated, people seemed to give Stann a fair chance in the bout, saying he will strike Sonnen hard and keep him at bay. From the moment the bell went, Stann was on his back for the duration of the fight and Chael was relentless. His work rate was fantastic, constant knees to the body from side control, he mounted him once or twice, he was grinding and not letting him breathe, he threw him around like a rag doll. He never looked tired, he was focused and professional. The submission was a nice touch, showing that he has it in his arsenal.

In a potential rematch against Silva, Sonnen will once again dominate. As far as I can recall, Anderson did not counter a single takedown in the last fight with Chael, and was on his back for 95% of the fight. Sure, he was able to pull off the triangle and win in the end, showing his true worth as champion, but he was half a minute away from losing the title by unanimous decision.

Anderson's only chance is in a submission out of nowhere or a lucky strike, a'la the Vitor Belfort fight. Sonnen has a tendency to lunge in for a double and I could see him getting caught square in the nose with an instinctive knee for a KO (this nearly happened in the Stann fight, where Brian tried to stuff the takedown and Chael barraged into his chest with a loud bang). Sonnen's striking game is questionable, but it hardly matters when it takes him a second to get a guy down on his back and he will keep him there for the whole round.

He dominates people in a way similar to GSP, but his work rate is much higher when he has a person down on the ground. His ground and pound is ferocious and he sticks his palms in his opponent's face to annoy them (this means he sometimes leaves his limbs in the danger zone, we saw Stann trying to sneak a triangle, but I think Chael has learned his lesson and we witnessed more calculated blows to the ribs and stomach rather than unleashing on Stann's face).

He was able to pass guard easy against Stann, but that probably won't happen against Silva. Still, if he keeps on top of him like in the first fight, doesn't let him stand up and keeps away from potential submissions, he will win by decision/TKO. His motivation of "win or leave UFC" will have him powered up and ready.

He's a dick but he's one of the best guys out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Guess its not WWE if he can back it up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He dominates people in a way similar to GSP, but his work rate is much higher when he has a person down on the ground. His ground and pound is ferocious and he sticks his palms in his opponent's face to annoy them (this means he sometimes leaves his limbs in the danger zone, we saw Stann trying to sneak a triangle, but I think Chael has learned his lesson and we witnessed more calculated blows to the ribs and stomach rather than unleashing on Stann's face).

I reckon he could dominate at MW if he fought like GSP, as in taking less chances on the ground and working on his striking to a stage where he could out point submission experts on his feet. But he won't do that, that's not how he works, and ironically it would be the same result either way, decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

That thing about feeding a carrot to a bus is pretty funny. I completely agree with his thoughts about pound-for-pound discussion too. It is like arguing who would win a fight between batman and superman and is a waste of time.

Still hope Anderson stops him again though. There's plenty of other people out there for Sonnen to fight and talk smack about that aren't Silva. That match with Belfort would be interesting for one. And Bisping.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He dominates people in a way similar to GSP, but his work rate is much higher when he has a person down on the ground. His ground and pound is ferocious and he sticks his palms in his opponent's face to annoy them (this means he sometimes leaves his limbs in the danger zone,

I don't think thats the reason he does it.
    Having your hands over the face of the person on the bottom can make it harder for them to breath (or see) which is a handy plus for the guy on top

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think thats the reason he does it.
    Having your hands over the face of the person on the bottom can make it harder for them to breath (or see) which is a handy plus for the guy on top

I thought that was no longer allowed? Using the hand to make it more difficult for a fighter to breathe...
    I seem to remember the UFC changing the rules shortly after Anderson used this strategy so well against Dan Henderson?

Sorry to take this off topic, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Not quite WWE? Sonnen is pure WWE, it's hilarious.
    I thought that was no longer allowed? Using the hand to make it more difficult for a fighter to breathe...
    I seem to remember the UFC changing the rules shortly after Anderson used this strategy so well against Dan Henderson?

AFAIK athletic commissions sets the rules, not the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not against the rules.
    Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Not quite WWE? Sonnen is pure WWE, it's hilarious.

AFAIK athletic commissions sets the rules, not the UFC.

They have to stick to the commission rules at least,but they could add extras if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Sonnen is a clever guy. He talks a lot of **** about guys who potential match ups would make him a fortune; silva, wanderlie, vitor, nogs(little). Silva should love him, the more he talks, the more money silva will make. Guy is class, makes it very entertaining.

What you guys think of talk of him trying to duck sonnen, i was watching something(cant remember what) and dan henderson said silva ducked him for a long time. I wonder how much truth is in it, sonnen and henderson are the only ones who have had success with silva, maybe silva doesnt like the match ups?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

pauldoo wrote: »
    What you guys think of him trying to duck sonnen, i was watching something(cant remember what) and dan henderson said silva ducked him for a long time. I wonder how much truth is in it, sonnen and henderson are the only ones who have had success with silva, maybe silva doesnt like the match ups?!

I don't think Silva ducks anyone. I think people want to believe that...at the end of the day both those guys got tapped.

Sonnen had some argument for a rematch based on his performance but Dan didn't do much against Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I quite like the guy, and he was rather impressive at the weekend.

Can't see him beating Anderson but by god he can sell the fight well.

Gintonious wrote: »

Can't see him beating Anderson but by god he can sell the fight well.

Why not? He destroyed him last time for 24 mins, just got caught in the last 90 seconds

Just appeared on bjpenn.com

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

Gintonious wrote: »

Can't see him beating Anderson but by god he can sell the fight well.[/Quote

Eh did you not see the last fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got around to watching Sonnen Stann now. OMG Sonnen for President! I don't think he will beat Silva either but I will be backing him all the way and look forward to the next few months of Sonnen comedy gold!

Don't expect Chael to take this quietly, expect some more Sonnen Gold in the next day or so

First the guy gets in trouble for fraud, then he tests positive for steroids, and now he wants to kick in someone’s door and slap their wife in the ass? This guy should be in jail; he shouldn’t be fighting. Chael is not the person that’s going to determine when [Silva] is going to take the fight. When he’s going to take this fight is when his shoulder is completely healed up, and he’s ready to start his training camp for the fight. It’s not because Chael says he wants to fight in February. Who is Chael to determine that? Chael needs to take a number and wait his turn. He got his opportunity, and he tapped. It’s not the first time he’s tapped, and I guarantee you it won’t be the last. Would it be a big fight? It would be a huge fight, but right now, it’s not so much who he’s going to fight and when. It’s making sure Anderson gets back to 100 percent before he gets in there.”

The above quote comes way of an interview with Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares that was recently conducted by mmajunkie.com.

With Chael’s most recent dig to Anderson Silva in front of a sold out arena and live television audience, the Brazilian champions manager expresses their dislike for the proposed challenger and unwillingness to abide to his terms just on the notion that he offered them.

With Dan Henderson lurking around the corner and also lobbying for a rematch with Anderson Silva, and the bargaining chips falling in the hands of the Brazilians management team, could Chael Sonnen have talked himself out of a signed contract?

The UFC can make any match they want, they can make the calls, set the date and venue and print the contracts up for the fighters to sign, but ultimately Anderson Silva is the one who has to execute the bout agreement and make the fight official. Would the ultimate stab at Chael Sonnen be to delay his title aspirations in favor for another fight?

Link : http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/10/10/anderson-silva%E2%80%99s-camp-responds-to-chael-sonnen-challenge-6055.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bjpenndotcom+%28BJPENN.COM+NEWS+BLOGS%29&utm_content=FaceBook

• Advertisement

Chael will definitely be next for Hendo. Hendo fights in mid-Nov at 205. if he's to take a fight at 185 it'll take him that much extra time to drop the weight. if Silva gets fit in time, it'll be Chael. it's a massive fight in ever sense of the word. Imagine they held it in Brazil?

Even if all the stars align and it's a straight decision between putting hendo or Chael in there, they'd be out of their minds to not give Chael the next shot.

Advertisement