Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jodie Marsh - Bodybuilder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

g'em wrote: »

congratulations! You've just earned your 17th ban from boards.ie, this automatically upgrades you to permaban status from the forum you received your ban in.

y'all have a nice day now.

Lol, a life well spent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

She's claiming she's totally natural. I'm in two minds; it's plausible that she is but it's unlikely.

Is it a tested fed?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

oooh, apparently it is - Natural Physique Association (NPA)

I'm even more impressed now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

She's claiming she's totally natural. I'm in two minds; it's plausible that she is but it's unlikely.

As I said I know nothing of these matters, but it seems to have piqued my curiosity.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3853388/Jodie-Marsh-Bodybuilding-has-made-me-feel-sexier-than-ever.html

There is one shot of her de-blacked and with a trophy there. Supposedly the next day. She doesn't look remotely swole to me. Is this just a lack of "culture" to my eye? Is she still looking big there?

Edit: I'm gonna leave it up there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

her arms legs don't look massive really compared to say a girl who swims/runs/plays sports.

How much of female BB is cutting body fat vs building muscle?

She obviously does a lot of ab and back work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fair play to her. Serious hard work.

Fair play to her to look even more gross. Serious hard work to look appaling?

I of course refer to her only and not the general bodybuilding people that don't do it for attention and fame.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Fair play to her to look even more gross. Serious hard work to look appaling?

I of course refer to her only and not the general bodybuilding people that don't do it for attention and fame.

Go away. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Go away. Seriously.

Is that not a somewhat valid point though? On-stage bodybuilders often look grotesque (between the ronseal and uber-cutting).

Often they look a million times better after competition.

There's a thread about this in Celebrity and Showbiz - if someone wants to talk about the finer points of her looking appalling there then work away.

But this is Health and Fitness. For once, just once, I think a bodybuilder (physique competitor) in the limelight deserves a conversation that revolves around more than just how much someone would or wouldn't hit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But why are people seemingly unable to draw the distinction between self improvement in order to look attractive/sexy (which is in the eye of the beholder anyway) and similar effort that results in definition, symmetry and the other aims of bodybuilding, but that may not be sexy in the conventional sense?

Why is that even coming into it? It's not a Miss World swimsuit competition, it's an athletic competition with entirely different goals and different criteria for success.

Nobody comes in and says "I can't believe jockeys wear that stupid outfit, they must look ridiculous at parties".

I don't get the issue at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

vicwatson wrote: »

What, like Arnie.

-Chris- wrote: »
    But why are people seemingly unable to draw the distinction between self improvement in order to look attractive/sexy (which is in the eye of the beholder anyway) and similar effort that results in definition, symmetry and the other aims of bodybuilding, but that may not be sexy in the conventional sense?

Why is that even coming into it? It's not a Miss World swimsuit competition, it's an athletic competition with entirely different goals and different criteria for success.

Nobody comes in and says "I can't believe jockeys wear that stupid outfit, they must look ridiculous at parties".

I don't get the issue at all...

Arguably that is better displayed without the silly tan and OTT cutting?

columok wrote: »
    Arguably that is better displayed without the silly tan and OTT cutting?

Wikipedia tells me the tanning combines with the lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct.
    Cutting would give the same result surely.

If the point is to show muscle definition & symmetry (or whatever, I'm no expert :P), what alternatives would you suggest?
    Why would anyone give up these tools without an equally effective alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Tefral

You know I never knew she had it in her. She might have done it for the attention, but thats alot of dedication, that kind of physique is not easy to attain or maintain.

I say fair play to her!

Wikipedia tells me the tanning combines with the lighting make the definition of the muscle group more distinct.
    Cutting would give the same result surely.

If the point is to show muscle definition & symmetry (or whatever, I'm no expert :P), what alternatives would you suggest?
    Why would anyone give up these tools without an equally effective alternative?

It isn't an objective measurement system though. Clearly a drive within bodybuilding is favouring this ultracut, overtanned look. Bodybuilding used to have a greater athletic component at the shows (weightlifting) arguably producing better rounded and healthier looking bodybuilders. If judges favoured a less extreme looking physique the athletes would match it!

Just because a cut is hard doesn't make it somehow worthwhile!

Then, just like any other sporting event, you're looking at the sport's governing body deciding that a certain shade of brown is "too brown", and introducing limits as to the darkness of the skin colour of the contestants.

I'm not sure how the black contestants would like that...

I don't know how you'd reduce the amount of cutting tbh. A minimum body fat percentage?

Then, just like any other sporting event, you're looking at the sport's governing body deciding that a certain shade of brown is "too brown", and introducing limits as to the darkness of the skin colour of the contestants.

I don't know how you'd reduce the amount of cutting tbh. A minimum body fat percentage?

You'd need judges not favouring people with excessive tan. That would be a subjective thing.

You'd help the cutting factor by introducing an athletic component to the proceedings that would require a competitor to do a demanding task that would be incompatible with extremely low bodyfat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Body building is a freak sport,min bodyfat max muscle ..Look like a statue it aint healthy but im sure the contestants are happy enough with their look

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Gaz wrote: »
    Pixie Girl wrote: »

Are these After (rte) and before (daily mail ) pics ? Sorry I can't spend too long with pics of a half naked girl open on my pc at work !

Anyway - in the rte one she looks like a freak in the daily mail one she looks very bloody good indeed !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

If she is clean, I'm impressed.
    If she isn't, then I'm indifferent.
    :)
    oooh, apparently it is - Natural Physique Association (NPA)

I'm even more impressed now tbh.

Would these folks be tested in every competition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

to be fair its the first time she's ever been in the paper for doing something she actually put some effort into - so I say fair play to her. ( she's ruined how she looks though - she'll never have me now ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I think she looks fantastic in the Daily Mail pics :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Fair play to her and contest shape is something she will hold for a day at most and would look much softer otherwise eg in the photos where she is going to the gym

Funny how some people can post up stupid comments and I see them as being similar to clients that tell me their fat friends tell them they are getting 'too' slim.

Or the guy that doesn't like weights because he doesn't want to get tooooo big.

no-squats-or-deadlifts-dont-want-to-get-to-big1.jpg

Fair play and screw the haters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Body building is a freak sport,min bodyfat max muscle ..Look like a statue it aint healthy but im sure the contestants are happy enough with their look

I know it takes an awful lot of time,dedication & effort to get in competition shape but it's not a sport!!! It's a glorified offshoot of a beauty pageant, no athletic ability or skill is tested!!

can-of-worms-demotivational-poster-1229709370.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Her boobs are actually too big and on stage cover her top two abs. I wonder would she possible have them reduced. On the rte link when she is holding her boobage up her abs look amazing nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I'm sure there's lots of people who like her new look but its not my cup of tea. :(

Me Like her :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The 50 days thing is a bit of an exaggeration...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60458716

She's being working on it for over two years I suppose. Probably off and on, at least she's stuck at it and kept trying if she did fall of the wagon so to speak, unlike her 'rival' Jordan who made a mockery of the marathon that she was doing for charity(which I think was her own charity?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

50 days is probably the length of her cut for the comp? Presume she's got someone on the payroll telling her what to eat, when and how many reps to do. I reckon she should do some leg work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

She's followed it through and taken it further than most wannabe bb'ers/figure girls ever will..

And she'll probably make a fortune with a fitness dvd after the programme. And she'd be one of the more legitimate quasi-celebrity fitness dvds out there too being in the shape she is. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Go away. Seriously.

This was, earlier, a health and fitness thread, and on that basis I maintain my point ....

"Fair play to her to look even more gross. Serious hard work to look appaling?

I of course refer to her only and not the general bodybuilding people that don't do it for attention and fame. "

Advertisement