Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Also, which oral irrigator are people being recommended by their dentist? I'm looking at the Panasonic EW1211 as I see it has a 2 year warranty and a pressure of 5 - 90psi.

Thanks.

Also, which oral irrigator are people being recommended by their dentist? I'm looking at the Panasonic EW1211 as I see it has a 2 year warranty and a pressure of 5 - 90psi.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gillen

Hi all,

I've booked a consultation in South Dublin for next week. I think I've settled on invisalign as I don't want to go down the train track route - I had them when I was 15/16 and like many others, lost the retainer and instead of asking for a replacement I left it and never bothered!

I'm working and living in Dublin so it would be great if anyone could pass on / recommend an orthodontist that would be great.

South side of the city is preferable but isn't a must.

I've been quoted €3,500 for top and bottom initially over the phone for top and bottom, although I think I only need a top one.

Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

gillen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've booked a consultation in South Dublin for next week. I think I've settled on invisalign as I don't want to go down the train track route - I had them when I was 15/16 and like many others, lost the retainer and instead of asking for a replacement I left it and never bothered!

I'm working and living in Dublin so it would be great if anyone could pass on / recommend an orthodontist that would be great.

I've been quoted €3,500 for top and bottom initially over the phone for top and bottom, although I think I only need a top one.

My boyfriend has just started his invisalign treatment in a South Dublin clinic too, it's working out €3400 (some promo on) and he gets 20% back in tax. He also got a gym membership which I'll be taking, we'll both be unreal in 12 months time :rolleyes: :D

Good news... they're coming off! :D

Bad news... not when I had hoped. But it's not too long more.

Initially I was given 25th February to get them off but after my check last week, it was pushed back by another week to 2nd March. But that's a definite date. They even took the moulds for my retainers! :):):)

• Advertisement

Well, they're off! Great result. :D

The only thing is, I was asked to come back in a week so they can take moulds for a night time retainer. But I have also been fitted with a bonded retainer. I thought the whole point of having a bonded retainer was so you didn't need the removable ones? So that seemed to come out of the blue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Have you a bonded retainer top and bottom?
    I remember when I initially was getting my braces the Ortho mentioned I'd have a bonded retainer afterwards but in the end I ended up with the removable and no bonding. It's actually been fine dealing with it since. I only wear them at night so I just pop them in before bed and go without it during the day. Flossing has definitely been easier without dealing with the wire.

Yeah, top and bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I've a bonded and a night retainer. I was told to wear both to make sure they stay put. I have noticed that the night one gets a bit tight if I don't wear it for a few days so must be needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I got my wire changed on Saturday and my god I don't think I've ever felt pain like it. My gums are in bits and eating hurts. I don't remember it being this sore when I was 15. Or maybe I'm just a big baby now.

• Advertisement

Karsini, can we see pics? :-)

aine92 wrote: »
    Karsini, can we see pics? :-)

I was hoping to get my proper before/after shots from my orthodontist but they haven't arrived yet. In the meantime, here's a more amateur one!

Karsini wrote: »
    I was hoping to get my proper before/after shots from my orthodontist but they haven't arrived yet. In the meantime, here's a more amateur one!

They look great, you must be delighted!!!

Congrats - looks a lot better than how mine turned out :(

As an aside, can anyone help me on my questions above (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98678889&postcount=781).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Karsini wrote: »

Oh wow, what an amazing result! I'm supposed to be getting mine off next week (fingers crossed), if they look anything like yours I'll be over the moon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Afternoon,

there's some very informative posts in this thread, well done to everyone involved. not sure if it exactly matches my current situation which is:

I'm 41 now and never had my teeth fixed, I had a large enough overbite as a teenager and now its really prominent (i can fit my thumb sideways between my top and bottom teeth) and there's some serious crowding of my bottom teeth (they cross over and are getting loose). I am also scared by the thought of braces at my age, and also the cost of it!

So I'm wondering if a) braces can correct this level of overbite or would surgery be needed
    b) if braces could do the job, would it necessitate train tracks and given the level of overcrowing would extractions be necessary?

also aine92, am i reading right that there was a promo for gym for 12 months with the braces for your boyfriend ?

Thanks in advance for any help

salomon wrote: »
    Afternoon,

there's some very informative posts in this thread, well done to everyone involved. not sure if it exactly matches my current situation which is:

I'm 41 now and never had my teeth fixed, I had a large enough overbite as a teenager and now its really prominent (i can fit my thumb sideways between my top and bottom teeth) and there's some serious crowding of my bottom teeth (they cross over and are getting loose). I am also scared by the thought of braces at my age, and also the cost of it!

So I'm wondering if a) braces can correct this level of overbite or would surgery be needed
    b) if braces could do the job, would it necessitate train tracks and given the level of overcrowing would extractions be necessary?

also aine92, am i reading right that there was a promo for gym for 12 months with the braces for your boyfriend ?

Thanks in advance for any help

I'm not sure if I can help; his teeth look something like this (not him, random google image) : 6767_1teeth.jpg although not as bad, just one side he has a hidden tooth. Invisalign suited him, however he has crooked molars which invisalign cant fix, and the dentist said if that bothered him then he needed train tracks. He opted against that, you can't see his molars obviously and he had never noticed so.

Invisalign is quite fickle, definitely doesn't suit everyone but the consultation is free so you may as well pop in, 2 seconds on the chair and the dentist can say yay or nay. I had a consultation the same day as BF and mine will take 6 months max (former brace wearer, didn't wear my retainer...) and I'll be getting them as soon as it's financially viable.

He (or me... I took it ;)) did get a gym membership but that was a January offer. They are doing €500 off for VHI members though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

gillen wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hi there,

I posted a good bit back around last summer. I went for 4 detailed consultations and got very dramatically different opinions.

I went with Ortho in Donnybrook as in my opinion the best experience, patient care and consultation. If you look at my earlier posts you'll see my detailed review...

The best thing you will do but do your homework. A lot of people try to go with quick fix 6-9 month braces and 2 years later have to go again. Or they get told there is only one option..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

aine92 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I can help; his teeth look something like this although not as bad, just one side he has a hidden tooth. Invisalign suited him, however he has crooked molars which invisalign cant fix, and the dentist said if that bothered him then he needed train tracks. He opted against that, you can't see his molars obviously and he had never noticed so.

Invisalign is quite fickle, definitely doesn't suit everyone but the consultation is free so you may as well pop in, 2 seconds on the chair and the dentist can say yay or nay. I had a consultation the same day as BF and mine will take 6 months max (former brace wearer, didn't wear my retainer...) and I'll be getting them as soon as it's financially viable.

He (or me... I took it ;)) did get a gym membership but that was a January offer. They are doing €500 off for VHI members though.

thanks for the reply aine,

my bottom teeth are a it worse than that image so possibly may end up with train tracks by the sound of things. I'll take a PM on the name of the orthodontist please. but if invisalign was a runner would be fantastic.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I'm going to finally get my teeth fixed at the age of almost 30! Does anyone have advise?
    My teeth are terrible IMO so I'm guessing I have to go the full train tracks route, just wondering if I should be careful which orthodontists I go to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Can anyone recommend an orthodontist around Dublin city centre? Looking to get overcrowding sorted, not necessarily a smile worthy of Hollywood!

ETA please PM recommendations as per the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 chris0808

Could anyone recommend an orthodontist in Dublin ? PM me if you know anywhere. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

Getting the braces from my top teeth off today - can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

PippaChic wrote: »
    Getting the braces from my top teeth off today - can't wait!

Lucky you! Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on, hope everything goes well for you. :)

And they're finally off. It's so strange to feel my teeth against my lips again! The bits between the teeth are from the mould he used to make up the retainer - which I should get in the post on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

PippaChic wrote: »
    And they're finally off. It's so strange to feel my teeth against my lips again! The bits between the teeth are from the mould he used to make up the retainer - which I should get in the post on Tuesday!

They look lovely! Congratulations :D

They look lovely! Congratulations :D
    Thank you so much :)
    I was really disappointed initially, I thought they looked weird - but I'm gradually getting used to them! I think the braces make the teeth look shorter as they 'break up' the length, so the teeth look really long afterwards.
    I have a bar across the back of the 4 front teeth and I keep poking at it with my tongue, my tongue is quite sore!
    I'm pleased now that I went through this, I was unhappy with how they looked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Do NOT get Invisalign under any circumstances. I wasted 5k on 2 rounds of it several years ago. They don't work unless your issue is very minor. I am currently spending another 4k on damon train tracks to fix the mess invisalign made.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

percy212 wrote: »
    Do NOT get Invisalign under any circumstances. I wasted 5k on 2 rounds of it several years ago. They don't work unless your issue is very minor. I am currently spending another 4k on damon train tracks to fix the mess invisalign made.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I wonder though why the orthodontist didn't tell you that you that it wouldn't be suitable? I was told invisalign wouldn't work as I have a large space on my lower teeth, so wasn't an option even if I wanted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I guess inexperience of invisalign on the dentists part...I don't really know. It was a big waste of money which still makes me cringe! The dentist I see now has a poor opinion of invisalign in general. I think he has a point. Train tracks all the way :)
    Yikes, sorry to hear that. I wonder though why the orthodontist didn't tell you that you that it wouldn't be suitable? I was told invisalign wouldn't work as I have a large space on my lower teeth, so wasn't an option even if I wanted it.

Advertisement