Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I went for my consultation last week with the same practice as I got my original braces. I'm getting train tracks again for 4 months on my 4 front teeth. A significantly less amount than what I thought they would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Taboola wrote: »
    I went for my consultation last week with the same practice as I got my original braces. I'm getting train tracks again for 4 months on my 4 front teeth. A significantly less amount than what I thought they would cost.

4 months I would consider. Would you mind giving me a roundabout figure of how much? I am considering those 6 month braces which would work out at about €2000.

aine92 wrote: »
    4 months I would consider. Would you mind giving me a roundabout figure of how much? I am considering those 6 month braces which would work out at about €2000.

400e. But I've already given that crowd 4000 so thats why it's so cheap.

400e. But I've already given that crowd 4000 so thats why it's so cheap.

I might contact my old orthodontist in that case and see what they say... she will most likely scold me :pac::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I might contact my old orthodontist in that case and see what they say... she will most likely scold me :pac::eek:

I went back to mine as I had the same issue. Bottom teeth OK because permanent retainer. Top moved slightly because I didn't wear retainer. He offered to put top brace back on and only charge for cost of making brace, not consultation. Said it would take 3-4 months.

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I went back to mine as I had the same issue. Bottom teeth OK because permanent retainer. Top moved slightly because I didn't wear retainer. He offered to put top brace back on and only charge for cost of making brace, not consultation. Said it would take 3-4 months.

Do you need a retainer then to keep them in place after the 3-4 months?

OldNotWIse wrote: »

How long after the fact was that? I have had mine off probably 6 years by now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Do you need a retainer then to keep them in place after the 3-4 months?
    How long after the fact was that? I have had mine off probably 6 years by now :eek:

I don't know about the retainer because I haven't got them back on yet. Calling tomorrow to see about cost, as I want them on and off again before grad. I'll ask and let you know.

TBH I was 18 when I got mine taken off and I am 32 now. They have everything on file so don't worry about 6 years :D

I'm on the home straight now I think! :)

Got my top wire changed on Thursday and new elastic fitted on the bottom. On the top, he put on what I think is a powerchain - it's like a metal wire interlaced between the brackets in the same way as the elastic was; but it only goes back about half way and not to the molars.

I have a small gap on the bottom right side. My orthodontist said we should be done once the gap closes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 iambeave

Digiby wrote: »
    I thought I'd update the thread to let everyone know my braces are off :D
    They're off almost two weeks now and I'm very pleased with the results.

I got my retainer a few days after they came off and I only have to wear it at night for now. This is to let some of my teeth "erupt" and close in some of the space between my top and bottom arch. Getting the retainer in the first day took a lot of effort but since then the bottom one pops in and out much easier. The top one still requires a lot of pushing and pulling to get it in and out though. I'm not sure if this is down to my two large front teeth and trying to pull it off them. I'm afraid I'm going to break something doing it sometimes.

Back in three months for a checkup to see how it's going. It's nice to be able to eat some forbidden foods again :)

Overall it took about 22 months, originally estimated to be about 14 months. It took a long time for the gaps in my upper arch to close in after having two large molars removed.

A before and after picture attached.

Your teeth look awesome! Well done! How are you getting on now they're off?? I'm halfway there now, have had them on for 13 months and he says it'll take 2 years max. Just got elastics which are so painful and left me with a whopper mouth ulcer!! Luckily the doctor gave me some steroids which are pumping me up and doing the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

iambeave wrote: »
    Your teeth look awesome! Well done! How are you getting on now they're off?? I'm halfway there now, have had them on for 13 months and he says it'll take 2 years max. Just got elastics which are so painful and left me with a whopper mouth ulcer!! Luckily the doctor gave me some steroids which are pumping me up and doing the job!

Getting on great.
    I was back for my three month check-up last week and all is good. My orthodontist shaved down some of my retainer and the top one was a little tight for popping on and off so it's much easier now.

Back again in six months for my next visit but it's great to be able to eat some of the things I had to avoid while I had my braces on. The time flies by when you have them though. I didn't seem like I had them for nearly two years, but it was the best decision I made getting them on. I only regret not doing it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FebruaryStars

Hi everyone, apologies if this isn't the right thread for my question! I've had two consultations with orthodontists regarding braces. I'm in my thirties and have mild/moderate issues with overcrowding and what I think is called overjet. Both orthodontists recommend invisalign, rather than fixed braces. One says I need my four wisdom teeth out first (in case they push the other teeth). The second orthodontist says no need to extract the wisdom teeth but that he would do polishing (filing between the teeth) and that I'd need permanent bonded retainers afterwards. Any thoughts on these two options? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Never even knew this forum existed on here!

Thought id throw in my experience. Got a top brace on for 18 months, didnt go for a bottom brace as my jaw would have had to be realigned which required an operation etc.

Been on the list since I was in primary school, im 21 now and I got them put on when I was about 19. When I was a kid I swore id never get them put on and blah blah :P Got them done in Navan Hospital. Anyways im really happy with how they turned out and said id post a before/after picture as id recommend them to anyone having doubts. Excuse the usual snapchat title...:o

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Never even knew this forum existed on here!

Thought id throw in my experience. Got a top brace on for 18 months, didnt go for a bottom brace as my jaw would have had to be realigned which required an operation etc.

Been on the list since I was in primary school, im 21 now and I got them put on when I was about 19. When I was a kid I swore id never get them put on and blah blah :P Got them done in Navan Hospital. Anyways im really happy with how they turned out and said id post a before/after picture as id recommend them to anyone having doubts. Excuse the usual snapchat title...:o

Got a giggle out of that snapchat caption :pac::pac: look great though, my boyfriend has very similar teeth and he is getting his next year so he'll be excited to see this!

Haha I knew someone would! Best decision ever made, considering how long I was waiting it was definitely worth it. My bottom teeth I can live with, especially considering the operation needed :P My teeth were in bad condition in general (hygiene wise) before I went down, the dentist was very good and made sure I always kept cleaning them too.

Haha I knew someone would! Best decision ever made, considering how long I was waiting it was definitely worth it. My bottom teeth I can live with, especially considering the operation needed :P My teeth were in bad condition in general (hygiene wise) before I went down, the dentist was very good and made sure I always kept cleaning them too.

Can I ask, if you don't mind, were you on the medical card list to get them?

No I dont mind answering at all, as some people on here seem to have a problem with it anyways (in my retainer thread)
    I was on the list for free orthodontist treatment from the HSE since I was in primary school, I was on the list for the dentist at Ashtown Gate for over ten years but got a letter in the door out of the blue saying that a spot for my case had become available in Navan and treatment could start straight away. That was shortly after my 18th birthday as far as I can remember, took a few months of cleaning up and what not and then the brace was put on. Nothing on a medical card as I dont have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

paulers06 wrote: »
    Would also invest in a waterpik. I found that brushing alone didn't cut it for removing food from the brackets.

My Waterpik fizzled out after 9 months - however, it worked very hard as 3 of us now have braces! I bought this one in Argos and it is far better than Waterpik http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4439718/Trail/searchtext%3EORAL.htm

And it's reduced at the moment, I took out the insurance - it cost €12.99 and covers the product for up to three years!

Went to my orthodontist today. The word "debond" was mentioned! :)

My next appointment is February 16th. If all is well, they're coming off on the 25th! :)

As an update, my boyfriend has decided to go for Invisalign (providing his consultation goes well!). He is dying to get them on now just to get them off again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

Karsini wrote: »
    Went to my orthodontist today. The word "debond" was mentioned! :)

My next appointment is February 16th. If all is well, they're coming off on the 25th! :)
    I got told the same at my appointment today! I got my braces put on January 30th, I was originally told 18 months so this is a surprise. I'm very pleased with the results!
    I have to wear elastics at nighttime until my next appointment on 5 Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cquinnie

Hi could anyone recommend by PM an orthodontist in South County Dublin or even City Centre. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 azMark09

I'm on my 4th month of invisalign now. They look great but having to wear them 22 hours per day is annoying.

Each time you eat/drink (except water) you have to take them out and brush your teeth before putting them back in. Going out for lunch/dinner isn't enjoyable anymore because all I think about is how long they've been out for. 2 hours per day for dinner/snacks/drinking is not great.

Although if you want proper results in a timely manner, 22 hours a day is what you need to do.

azMark09 wrote: »
    I'm on my 4th month of invisalign now. They look great but having to wear them 22 hours per day is annoying.

Each time you eat/drink (except water) you have to take them out and brush your teeth before putting them back in. Going out for lunch/dinner isn't enjoyable anymore because all I think about is how long they've been out for. 2 hours per day for dinner/snacks/drinking is not great.

Although if you want proper results in a timely manner, 22 hours a day is what you need to do.

Jesus I would need to get Invisalign to stop snacking and lose a stone so :p I imagine it's worth it though, a maximum of two years of annoyance versus a lifetime of better teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cquinnie

Is anyone willing to recommend by PM an orthodontist??

Would love a steer on this

Cquinnie wrote: »
    Is anyone willing to recommend by PM an orthodontist??

Would love a steer on this

PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wham

Can anyone recommend an orthodontist in the D15 area please, have been toying with the idea of (much needed) braces for years and just need to get on with it now. Have a pathological fear of the dentist, so someone who has a good patient manner please. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Hello there

I am thinking of getting a very minor ceramic braces job done on my upper teeth only ..... 6 months by 2 orthodontists.

My cheapest quote is 2000e , upper jaw only.
    Is there anywhere cheaper around? I'm
    Thinking Dublin, northwest, or anywhere in between. Just struggling to come up with that money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

Some of you might remember me posting previously on this thread. Things have been okay since the removal of the braces apart from one issue which is annoying me - my lateral incisors have retracted since the braces have been removed. This has brought back slightly the 'buck toothed' look I was so glad to get rid of.

My orthodontist has signed me off and said the retraction was minimal and it would not be worth putting the braces back on to correct this.

However, I'm not happy with the regression now. The suggestion was that my dentist put a cap on the tooth to make up the gaps - I should say there had been some grinding damage to these teeth. However, for the previous 10+ years I've been wearing a bite guard at night to protect this and now my bite guard is a rigid device to keep my teeth in alignment. So I don't believe that there is ongoing damage being done to the teeth.

The cost of this (my dentist also wants me to get a Michigan Splint) is quite high (approx €850) considering it is papering over the cracks.

Once my braces came off, I was slightly disappointed that the top arch was not as broad as I would have liked. In hindsight I should have insisted that we continue, but I was told that the outcome was as good as could be got. The lateral incisors have not been pulled out as much as I would have liked and are still somewhat crowded behind the nieghbouring teeth (imo).

I know that there is one thing which might improve my smile/appearance. I've got a gummy smile. However, the main issue I have with this is that I'm a mouth breather. My lips are usually dry and hacked, my front teeth seem to have a mucus coating on them which I am not sure of its origin.
    Closing my mouth is an effort and I cannot maintain it very long. If I was able to get my upper lip sorted then it would cover more of the teeth. This alongside capping the teeth may then be the best solution in the long term.

What can be done here and how common is the upper lip correction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

Some of you might remember me posting previously on this thread. Things have been okay since the removal of the braces apart from one issue which is annoying me - my lateral incisors have retracted since the braces have been removed. This has brought back slightly the 'buck toothed' look I was so glad to get rid of.

My orthodontist has signed me off and said the retraction was minimal and it would not be worth putting the braces back on to correct this.

However, I'm not happy with the regression now. The suggestion was that my dentist put a cap on the tooth to make up the gaps - I should say there had been some grinding damage to these teeth. However, for the previous 10+ years I've been wearing a bite guard at night to protect this and now my bite guard is a rigid device to keep my teeth in alignment. So I don't believe that there is ongoing damage being done to the teeth.

The cost of this (my dentist also wants me to get a Michigan Splint) is quite high (approx €850) considering it is papering over the cracks.

Once my braces came off, I was slightly disappointed that the top arch was not as broad as I would have liked. In hindsight I should have insisted that we continue, but I was told that the outcome was as good as could be got. The lateral incisors have not been pulled out as much as I would have liked and are still somewhat crowded behind the nieghbouring teeth (imo).

I know that there is one thing which might improve my smile/appearance. I've got a gummy smile. However, the main issue I have with this is that I'm a mouth breather. My lips are usually dry and hacked, my front teeth seem to have a mucus coating on them which I am not sure of its origin.
    Closing my mouth is an effort and I cannot maintain it very long. If I was able to get my upper lip sorted then it would cover more of the teeth. This alongside capping the teeth may then be the best solution in the long term.

What can be done here and how common is the upper lip correction?

Advertisement