Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

they are off!!!!!! but..... I have to wear the removable retainer 24hours a day for THREE months, I so didnt realize this was part of treatment, it certainly wasnt told to me, I had assumed it would be nighttime only, but along with upper and lower semi permanent retainers at the back of the teeth these will help keep them in place. Its really quite sore to wear all teh time, gums are in bits, they cause excess saliva so Im spitting at everyone, so embarrassing! I got them cleaned in the dentists also, so they are straight and pearly white. I am delighted but wont feel truly done till the retainers are gone during the day. roll on september!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Straycat wrote: »
    they are off!!!!!! but..... I have to wear the removable retainer 24hours a day for THREE months, I so didnt realize this was part of treatment, it certainly wasnt told to me, I had assumed it would be nighttime only, but along with upper and lower semi permanent retainers at the back of the teeth these will help keep them in place. Its really quite sore to wear all teh time, gums are in bits, they cause excess saliva so Im spitting at everyone, so embarrassing! I got them cleaned in the dentists also, so they are straight and pearly white. I am delighted but wont feel truly done till the retainers are gone during the day. roll on september!

That's great to hear. It must be hard to stop smiling now :)
    Do you have a bonded retainer on the top and bottom? Does your bite from the bottom teeth come into contact with the upper bonded wire at all at the back of your teeth?

Was meant to be getting my elastics today but it has been put off for 7 weeks. Just got the bottom archwire changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Hi all. Hope everyone is getting on well.

I put up a post a few weeks ago and got a good few recommendations for places for consultations.

I went for one 2 weeks ago, fantastic practice and very experienced, he said however only option for me (even thoughim not a 'very severe' case) would be 2.5 years, full ceramics on top, full metal on bottom, prob need 1-2 teeth out first and then retainers indefinitely thereafter. I was hoping for a shorter and all ceramic or Invisalign option.

I have a good friend who's teeth are not that dramatically diff to mine, yet she went to a regular dentist and was told is great candidate for the 6 month braces. I know my view of teeth similarities or differences could be totally off!

I would really appreciate your feedback on two Qs I have:
    - how many of you compared 6 month, vs Invisalign vs Full braces and how did you come to conclusions? I did some looking online but it was all v generic
    - secondly did you go for a number of consultations before you decided to help understand what yor best option actually is??

I guess where I am coming from is if a '6 month' more cosmetic route would get me to an 80-90% improved state then I would prob be happy to go with that. And am wondering if the ortho I saw is recommending this more as it's the 'perfect' way to go from a bone/bite/orthodontics perspective....

I always thought I wouldn't just go to someone who only offered 6 month braces as that is all they can offer you, like looking for perfect shoes for that outfit but only visiting a Havianas shop!! However I am now wondering if the opposite is also true, ie BT will only wanna sell you Louboutins! Sorry for shoe analogy but hopefully explains where I am coming from

Would really appreciate any views you would all share on this for me. It is all a bit confusing!

Thank you very much :)

Hi Bettyboo, I have just had full braces off, ceramics on top, metal on bottom, my duration was 18 months, from what i can understand the 6 month smiles are mostly used for very minor misalignment on your smile, that is to say not correct an over/underbite, or seriously off teeth, some things to bear in mind are, it takes a long time to move teeth and even longer to 'set' the bone once they move, so in reality the longer it takes the better the result.

I know you said if you got invasaline or similar and they gave you a 80% success rate you would be happy, but really? at such an expense and the complete discomfort you should expect nothing but 100% perfect.

Didgiby yes my semi retainers are bonded top and bottom, no my bottom teeth do not hit off it, the ortho measures and checks where the bite is to prevent this.

week one down of the retainer and im spitting much less, but taking them in and out to even drink tea is driving me batty! It would be next to impossibe to wear these all the time, id imagine this is what invasiline is like, you are terrified of staining them so they have to come out all the time. pain in the a&&

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 joshie123

Hi all,
    I have an appointment for an initial consultation with an orthodontist in a few weeks but would like to shop around. Can anyone recommend an orthodontist by PM in the leixlip/Lucan/ Maynooth general area.
    Thank you.

joshie123 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have an appointment for an initial consultation with an orthodontist in a few weeks but would like to shop around. Can anyone recommend an orthodontist in the leixlip/Lucan/ Maynooth general area.
    Thank you.
    I don't think we're allowed to mention names on here, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 joshie123

Sorry I meant by PM, didn't realise I had to put that in - will edit my post.

Thanks a lot Straycat, much appreciated and totally agree with your feedback.

I'm just keen to hear from people who went for a few consultations before they decided who to go with, could anyone share their experience with me if so?

Also a lot of the recommendations I got were for same guy in D4, I work around D4 but live near Lucan so open to both areas.

If anyone went to places that told them they were eligible for 6 month, and Invisalign and full braces (ie diff dentists told you all options would work) would really love to hear from you and what/how you choose

Thanks very much again all

Hi Bettyboo, I have just had full braces off, ceramics on top, metal on bottom, my duration was 18 months, from what i can understand the 6 month smiles are mostly used for very minor misalignment on your smile, that is to say not correct an over/underbite, or seriously off teeth, some things to bear in mind are, it takes a long time to move teeth and even longer to 'set' the bone once they move, so in reality the longer it takes the better the result.

I know you said if you got invasaline or similar and they gave you a 80% success rate you would be happy, but really? at such an expense and the complete discomfort you should expect nothing but 100% perfect.

Didgiby yes my semi retainers are bonded top and bottom, no my bottom teeth do not hit off it, the ortho measures and checks where the bite is to prevent this.

week one down of the retainer and im spitting much less, but taking them in and out to even drink tea is driving me batty! It would be next to impossibe to wear these all the time, id imagine this is what invasiline is like, you are terrified of staining them so they have to come out all the time. pain in the a&&

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Bettyboo - am coming (I hope) near the end of almost 3 year stint with the full set of metal braces. At first I also though - I don't care about the bite I just want straight (non protruding) teeth. I was told by my own dentist the 6 mth smiles wont fix the bite - while they may make my top teeth look straight for a while because the bite wouldn't be fixed (I had very bad overbite) & I could end up worse off & with serious jaw pain etc I needed a bite plate & bottom braces for 1 yr (to basically bring forward my bottom teeth/jaw, & stop my bottom front teeth doing so much damage to the back off the 2 front teeth) type of thing. Bite plate was a horror tho I did eventually get used to it am wondering Straycat will the retainer be similar?
    Straycat - when you got your braces off & retainters etc how long did that take how many appointments? Have an apt in 2 weeks - going on hols in 3.5 weeks it would be a dream to get them off & retainers in give teeth a good cleaning before hols at this stage so sick of the braces.
    By the way - am v happy with how my teeth are looking I wouldn't say they 100% perfect either. I have gum recession which means I have small triangle gap at the top of teeth (they tried to close best they could) and I don't think my bite while heaps better will never be perfect. Am I wrong to think that? My ortho tho great rep. & I think is very good is a person for a few words!

• Advertisement

dsn, i had an app to remove the braces and fit the retainer moulds then a few hours later another app to fit them in and check for fit, the semi perm retainers were fitted previous to this. i have to wear full time the removable ones for three months, then at night only.

dsn, i had an app to remove the braces and fit the retainer moulds then a few hours later another app to fit them in and check for fit, the semi perm retainers were fitted previous to this. i have to wear full time the removable ones for three months, then at night only.

Thank u! Will see. In the meantime got few more tooth 'issues' will see how the ortho deals with this :)

Thanks very much DSN.

I had a second consultation today with a guy out in Blanch, I know someone who went there a few were ago and was very happy.

The consultation was extremely thorough, X-rays, photos from all angles etc all included. And very nice guy. He said I need the same ie ceramic on top and metal on bottom because of my bite. Better news was he quoted 18-24 months max whereas the other guy had quoted 30 months.

He is also 800 quid less even though that is not the biggest factor for me.

I have not visited dentist in awhile and need some good cleaning and possibly some fillings.

I have a few root canals and the guy in D4 said I'd have to have them crowned first, but this guy has said no orthodontics first and crowns etc after. Any views on that?

I am going for one more consultation in a place a friend went to at the end of the month and will decide who to go with from there. I have pretty much decided I will get them done now, so just a question of where, and when to get them on as am away a bit the next two months.

I have also given up the ghost of 6 month braces or Invisalign, if I'm going to do them, I'm going to do them right and both orthodontists were very anti 6 month braces as said there is a reason proper orthos not offering them...

DSN wrote: »
    Bettyboo - am coming (I hope) near the end of almost 3 year stint with the full set of metal braces. At first I also though - I don't care about the bite I just want straight (non protruding) teeth. I was told by my own dentist the 6 mth smiles wont fix the bite - while they may make my top teeth look straight for a while because the bite wouldn't be fixed (I had very bad overbite) & I could end up worse off & with serious jaw pain etc I needed a bite plate & bottom braces for 1 yr (to basically bring forward my bottom teeth/jaw, & stop my bottom front teeth doing so much damage to the back off the 2 front teeth) type of thing. Bite plate was a horror tho I did eventually get used to it am wondering Straycat will the retainer be similar?
    Straycat - when you got your braces off & retainters etc how long did that take how many appointments? Have an apt in 2 weeks - going on hols in 3.5 weeks it would be a dream to get them off & retainers in give teeth a good cleaning before hols at this stage so sick of the braces.
    By the way - am v happy with how my teeth are looking I wouldn't say they 100% perfect either. I have gum recession which means I have small triangle gap at the top of teeth (they tried to close best they could) and I don't think my bite while heaps better will never be perfect. Am I wrong to think that? My ortho tho great rep. & I think is very good is a person for a few words!

Thanks very much DSN.

I had a second consultation today with a guy out in Blanch, I know someone who went there a few were ago and was very happy.

The consultation was extremely thorough, X-rays, photos from all angles etc all included. And very nice guy. He said I need the same ie ceramic on top and metal on bottom because of my bite. Better news was he quoted 18-24 months max whereas the other guy had quoted 30 months.

He is also 800 quid less even though that is not the biggest factor for me.

I have not visited dentist in awhile and need some good cleaning and possibly some fillings.

I have a few root canals and the guy in D4 said I'd have to have them crowned first, but this guy has said no orthodontics first and crowns etc after. Any views on that?

I am going for one more consultation in a place a friend went to at the end of the month and will decide who to go with from there. I have pretty much decided I will get them done now, so just a question of where, and when to get them on as am away a bit the next two months.

I have also given up the ghost of 6 month braces or Invisalign, if I'm going to do them, I'm going to do them right and both orthodontists were very anti 6 month braces as said there is a reason proper orthos not offering them...

Hi there - I have a crown on front tooth (have it 20 years) the ortho has caused awful problems there. I was told there was always a risk because ortho moves your bone high chance you loose the crown (which is what's happening to me) so my advice is do not get crown b4 ortho!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Hi

I am considering having braces put on in the next month or so. I have been quoted for invisalign by an orthodontist. I will have them on for 18 months and have been assured that they will straighten my teeth albeit I will still have a small overbite which I am fine with (lower jaw surgery would be required in order to eliminate this totally). The reason I am going with invisalign is the convenience of being able to remove them as I have a special occasion coming up on the next 15 months and I don't want the braces on for this (with invisalign I can remove them for the day in question). They are the more expensive option but seem to be a good option for me for the above reason.

I have also briefly looked into Quickbraces but haven't gone for a consultation. I am considering these as they are significantly cheaper (€1600!!) and they will presumably be off within 15 months. Although my research indicates that they would not do as good a job as the longer term invisalign braces and would not correct an overbite.

My instincts is telling me to go with invisalign as I felt really comfortable with the ortho that I had the consultation with for these, I am confident that she is very professional and would do a good job...but 1600 is alot of money to me at the moment. I don't want to take the cheaper option and regret it either. I don't want "perfect" teeth but don't want a substandard job done either!

Would be interested in hearing from anyone here who has considered both options and which one you went for in the end? I know everyone's teeth are different but would appreciate opinions all the same.
    If anyone can tell me more about their personal experience of invisalign - in terms of comfort and ease of use that would be great. I am a little concerned about having to remove them all the time to eat etc.

Thanks in advance!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Hi

I am considering having braces put on in the next month or so. I have been quoted for invisalign by an orthodontist. I will have them on for 18 months and have been assured that they will straighten my teeth albeit I will still have a small overbite which I am fine with (lower jaw surgery would be required in order to eliminate this totally). The reason I am going with invisalign is the convenience of being able to remove them as I have a special occasion coming up on the next 15 months and I don't want the braces on for this (with invisalign I can remove them for the day in question). They are the more expensive option but seem to be a good option for me for the above reason.

I have also briefly looked into Quickbraces but haven't gone for a consultation. I am considering these as they are significantly cheaper (€1600!!) and they will presumably be off within 15 months. Although my research indicates that they would not do as good a job as the longer term invisalign braces and would not correct an overbite.

My instincts is telling me to go with invisalign as I felt really comfortable with the ortho that I had the consultation with for these, I am confident that she is very professional and would do a good job...but 1600 is alot of money to me at the moment. I don't want to take the cheaper option and regret it either. I don't want "perfect" teeth but don't want a substandard job done either!

Would be interested in hearing from anyone here who has considered both options and which one you went for in the end? I know everyone's teeth are different but would appreciate opinions all the same.
    If anyone can tell me more about their personal experience of invisalign - in terms of comfort and ease of use that would be great. I am a little concerned about having to remove them all the time to eat etc.

Thanks in advance!:)

I would go with the 18 month option. For the sake of an extra 3 months, you may as well get them and know you're getting a good job.
    Imagine having braces for 15 months and then not being happy! You'd be gutted.

Also, with regards to the money - I know it's hard to stretch to (I'm getting braces myself) but in the long run it will be money well spent and you are very unlikely to regret it so I would go for the 18 month, pricier option.

My braces are finally coming off next month.

The only thing I'm not sure of at the moment is how my upper arch teeth rest on my lower arch teeth. Should they all sit comfortable and fit together? When I close my teeth with a bite my back two teeth on either side meet one another between the top arch and the bottom but then the next two or three teeth have an open space in between them of about 3 - 5 mm.

On the left side I can actually poke a good part of the top of my tongue through the open space when I fully bite. Should I be expecting that open space area to close in before getting my braces off or is it something that will happen after they are off? The right side is closed in a little more than the left, but there's still a little open space there too. I have about another 4 weeks to go.

Picture of what I mean: http://imgur.com/cva5PhP

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Yeh don't think it should look like that. If space isn't closed before braces come off , don't think it will close after. I'd defo discuss with ortho before braces come off though as it doesn't look finished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭Do Me Good

Anyone know of a competent orthodontist the Cork area that I could trust. I'm considering one place, but they couldn't even seem to get their appointment times right, so that kind of gives me a bad feeling. they charge €60 for a consult there. Don't know if that's the standard these days?

PM me if you can't mention names.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kco2010

Hi All, I had Invisalign done by a very reputable orthodentist (apparently) about 6years ago and paid 5k. I discussed the removal of one tooth at the time that was clearly pushing all others out of line prior to beginning but he told me not to worry that we could look into that after. Anyway the treatment did improve my teeth somewhat but basically pushed aforementioned tooth behind my other teeth. It was never going to stay there. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled with the outcome but never did anything about it. Slowly the tooth is moving back in and pushing the others out of line again.
    My question is should he have removed the tooth, is that normally done or do they attempt to avoid it. Expensive mistake for me!! I'm considering going elsewhere and having another go, hopefully not as expensive a treatment. Maybe the tracks behind the teeth?? Anyone any experience with those?

• Advertisement

Got my elastics in today. Wasn't done the way I thought it would be, which is a good thing! I thought I'd need to change them myself but apparently not. Back in 5 weeks rather than the usual 8-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Getting lingual braces next month. I have to get a molar on the upper right taken out to make room for another tooth to move into. He is going to put a fake tooth (made out of some sort of foam?) in to fill the gap, and gradually make it smaller as the other tooth moves into place. He said it should take six months for the tooth to move into place. Has anyone had an experience of this type of fake tooth?

Hi all,

Over past month or so I have been for 3 proper orthodontic consultations in Dublin plus I also started going to a new regular dentist for cleanings etc who also has started doing braces and gave me her opinion.

I have been quite surprised by the difference in the options being presented, while appreciating that the point of different consultations is different advice!

My teeth are a moderate case, many of them are reasonably straight but I have a couple of teeth out of place but nothing at the extreme or complex end.

One very reputable practice in Ballsbridge who was recommended to me on here told me my only option was all metal braces, 2.5 years, have to get teeth extracted and also to get two root canals crowned first. They also freaked me out about my general dental health and wanted me to see 2 specialists on gum health and crowns all of which was going to cost an absolute fortune before we even started braces which were going to be 4.5k as it was.

I put a good bit of research into which practices I even did consultations with as like most folks am limited on free time and was away a good bit so wanted to make the most of where I went to. I only went to places that were full orthodontic practices (as opposed to only doing 6 month braces) and also two of the places were on recommendations of people I knew who had been there.

The other places said crown work only after braces and no extractions required. I have chosen to go with a really excellent clinic in Donnybrook based on the quality of their consultations, focus on patient needs, experience levels and recommendation from a good colleague. Cost was a factor but where I am going is more expensive than 2 of the 4 options offered to me so this was not the most important factor.

I'm getting the top ones put on Monday and am a bit nervous now. Mainly at how painful it will be, and how I will look/feel/sound afterwards. I think I will be very self conscious. Also worried at the level of maintenance and what I can eat/not eat etc...

If anyone has any advice on above I would appreciate it.

Will let you know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Hi all,

Over past month or so I have been for 3 proper orthodontic consultations in Dublin plus I also started going to a new regular dentist for cleanings etc who also has started doing braces and gave me her opinion.

I have been quite surprised by the difference in the options being presented, while appreciating that the point of different consultations is different advice!

My teeth are a moderate case, many of them are reasonably straight but I have a couple of teeth out of place but nothing at the extreme or complex end.

One very reputable practice in Ballsbridge who was recommended to me on here told me my only option was all metal braces, 2.5 years, have to get teeth extracted and also to get two root canals crowned first. They also freaked me out about my general dental health and wanted me to see 2 specialists on gum health and crowns all of which was going to cost an absolute fortune before we even started braces which were going to be 4.5k as it was.

I put a good bit of research into which practices I even did consultations with as like most folks am limited on free time and was away a good bit so wanted to make the most of where I went to. I only went to places that were full orthodontic practices (as opposed to only doing 6 month braces) and also two of the places were on recommendations of people I knew who had been there.

The other places said crown work only after braces and no extractions required. I have chosen to go with a really excellent clinic in Donnybrook based on the quality of their consultations, focus on patient needs, experience levels and recommendation from a good colleague. Cost was a factor but where I am going is more expensive than 2 of the 4 options offered to me so this was not the most important factor.

I'm getting the top ones put on Monday and am a bit nervous now. Mainly at how painful it will be, and how I will look/feel/sound afterwards. I think I will be very self conscious. Also worried at the level of maintenance and what I can eat/not eat etc...

If anyone has any advice on above I would appreciate it.

Will let you know how it goes

Hope you're getting on ok with them. They feel very strange for the first few days. I suffered very badly with mouth ulcers throughout my treatment. I recommend medijel for them, much better than Bonjela. Still carry it in my handbag out of habit!

Would also invest in a waterpik. I found that brushing alone didn't cut it for removing food from the brackets.

Feeling self conscious about them will pass much quicker than you think. A couple of weeks and it will feel like they've always been on

Thank you very much, those tips are great, much appreciated!

So anyways they are on!!Well the top ones are, and the bottom will follow in 10 weeks or so as less work to do there. So far has been seamless which is the opposite of what I was expecting! I have the regular ceramic brackets on top and a metal wire (as clear wires stain a lot).

No pain or even discomfort having them on. I am a very nervous patient so believe me nearly chickened out yesterday and had built up all kinds of crazy things! Honesty the easiest dental visit I think I've had. She said I would feel they were very big under lips to start off but to be honest I don't even feel that. Yes I can feel them in there but not in an uncomfortable way. My speech is pretty much the same which was a major concern and they are very neat and not that noticeable I don't think. I have the ceramic ones on top so I know it will be a whole different ball game when I get my metal bottom ones as am going to hate those.

I havnt had any pain whatsoever so far which I have been pretty delighted with. To be fair I'm off for a few days so was just at home yday and only had soup and scrambled eggs so have not tested them with loads of talking or biting down on anything so no doubt there will be some bumps along the way but so far so good. Also no doubt will get self conscious in first social outings etc.

I have two teeth that are more prominent and I can see how you would get mouth sores etc around those as I can feel them chaffing slightly. I have some wax but will def need to keep an eye on that. I think I will also find the extra maintenance and foods to avoid hard but has to be done!

So for anyone thinking about it but worried, I honestly couldn't recommend doing it enough. Even though it is daunting, I'm really happy I'm started now and effectively counting down! I couldn't have been happier with the clinic I chose, super professional, organised and friendly which really made the whole experience so much easier. If you are looking for somewhere please PM me and I'll be happy to share and also the other places I went for consultation. This thread helped me out a lot so if I can help anyone else I would be happy to.

Am back in 5 weeks for elastic change/ check up and they will decide then re dates for next steps.

If anyone has other tips for first few weeks, or if pain/other probs kicked in a bit later would appreciate anything you can share so I can be prepared especially when back at work now etc

My time period is 16-18 months in total so already counting down to 2017 and hopefully a smile I won't ashamed of showing anymore!

paulers06 wrote: »
    Hope you're getting on ok with them. They feel very strange for the first few days. I suffered very badly with mouth ulcers throughout my treatment. I recommend medijel for them, much better than Bonjela. Still carry it in my handbag out of habit!

Would also invest in a waterpik. I found that brushing alone didn't cut it for removing food from the brackets.

Feeling self conscious about them will pass much quicker than you think. A couple of weeks and it will feel like they've always been on

I thought I'd update the thread to let everyone know my braces are off :D
    They're off almost two weeks now and I'm very pleased with the results.

I got my retainer a few days after they came off and I only have to wear it at night for now. This is to let some of my teeth "erupt" and close in some of the space between my top and bottom arch. Getting the retainer in the first day took a lot of effort but since then the bottom one pops in and out much easier. The top one still requires a lot of pushing and pulling to get it in and out though. I'm not sure if this is down to my two large front teeth and trying to pull it off them. I'm afraid I'm going to break something doing it sometimes.

Back in three months for a checkup to see how it's going. It's nice to be able to eat some forbidden foods again :)

Overall it took about 22 months, originally estimated to be about 14 months. It took a long time for the gaps in my upper arch to close in after having two large molars removed.

A before and after picture attached.

I'm at the stage now where I'm just fed up with the braces. I've been travelling since Saturday and have had to do stuff like brush my teeth in public toilets, everyone probably thinks I'm crazy! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LashesBrace

Hi All

Great thread have been reading it all in advance of getting my braces on. So yesterday was the big day I have Damon Braces top and bottom - 6 clear on the top and the rest are metal. I also have elastics for my bite. Feeling ok although its very odd and am nervous to eat so smoothies all the way at the moment.

Back in 6 weeks for checkup and hygienist visit - seems like ages away but I'm sure it will fly by. Am delighted I took the plunge though (so far anyway!) have always hated my teeth and never liked smiling for pictures as was so conscious of both the huge fan teeth at the front and the fangs to the side and that's just the top set! Lol!

Looking forward to reading more about other peoples experiences both good and bad and hopefully picking up some tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I had train-tracks when I was 14-16. Top and bottom. Had 4 removals done before getting them.

I had a plastic gum shield type retainer when I got the braces off and lost it. Never bothered getting it replaced. It's only in the last year (12 years since having them!) that I've noticed a gap forming between my front tooth and the tooth to the left of it.

Anyone have any idea if getting a retainer again would fix this or would I need to go back down the road of getting a full top set of braces again?

Kick myself every day for not replacing the retainer when I lost it :(

Also, any recommendations where to go for consultations in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Taboola wrote: »
    I had train-tracks when I was 14-16. Top and bottom. Had 4 removals done before getting them.

I had a plastic gum shield type retainer when I got the braces off and lost it. Never bothered getting it replaced. It's only in the last year (12 years since having them!) that I've noticed a gap forming between my front tooth and the tooth to the left of it.

Anyone have any idea if getting a retainer again would fix this or would I need to go back down the road of getting a full top set of braces again?

Kick myself every day for not replacing the retainer when I lost it :(

Also, any recommendations where to go for consultations in Dublin?

I'm tagging myself onto this, I was a stupid teenager and thought I was too cool for my retainer (at night... I mean Jesus!) and my teeth have moved slightly. Not enough to warrant another €5000 but definitely something I would like to get fixed if possible.

Advertisement