Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

carzony wrote: »
    i'd say it'll be 40 years if that's the case...

Not possible to be working until you reach 75 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

That's why the oldest candidates that get the job will only be 26 mark my words. And plus the fact the younger candidates will be the only crowd willing to live on a measly €23,000 per yr.

With no rent allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

anybody on here know anything about deferring the job if you were to be offered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

thestar wrote: »
    anybody on here know anything about deferring the job if you were to be offered it?

Yes you can't. You either accept or decline. Thousands of people wanting the jobs so don't apply if you can't take it. Apply next time when you are available to take it

D Trent wrote: »
    That's why the oldest candidates that get the job will only be 26 mark my words. And plus the fact the younger candidates will be the only crowd willing to live on a measly €23,000 per yr.

With no rent allowance

Mark your words? Mark your words you are spouting rubbish. There will be plenty taken on who are over 30. Max age is 35. Is written in black and white. Gardai need to serve 30 years, not 40. It's different to prison service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

With no rent allowance

That's such nonsense. The age limit is 35 for a reason. There a plenty of excellent candidates over 26. I'm sure there are even a few 18 year olds with a good chance.

The best people will get in regardless of age

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

If you get to interview stage, it won't come down to you having a driving licence or first aid, it will come down to the replies to their questions and how you come across, there are people spouting here who must never have done an interview and realise how much weight is given to it, anyone who gets that far has it in their own hands if they prepare well and come across as decent reliable people rather than coming across as arrogant and condecending but with a first aid course and a few hours in the reserve!

If you get to the interview stage what is required is that you perform well to be included in the number of available positions. If there are 300 vacancies and you perform to the standard of 301st then you don't make the cut. You will then be hoping that someone above you declines the offer.
    This is of course depends on the interview board applying a fair and equal approach to all candidates being interviewed. I personally would have no confidence in that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If you get to the interview stage what is required is that you perform well to be included in the number of available positions. If there are 300 vacancies and you perform to the standard of 301st then you don't make the cut. You will then be hoping that someone above you declines the offer.
    This is of course depends on the interview board applying a fair and equal approach to all candidates being interviewed. I personally would have no confidence in that happening.

Why not? Please elaborate and back up your arguement if you can?

Member of the final interview board using his/her influence to rate a candidate higher than they should be, perhaps having served as a Garda with that persons father etc. Other non Garda members of the interview board using the same to favour a family member, family friend. Nod nod to the other interview panel members.

This is Ireland Don't be so naieve as to believe that this won't go on

Member of the final interview board using his/her influence to rate a candidate higher than they should be, perhaps having served as a Garda with that persons father etc. Other non Garda members of the interview board using the same to favour a family member, family friend. Nod nod to the other interview panel members.

This is Ireland Don't be so naieve as to believe that this won't go on

There are 300 places up for grabs, stop looking for excuses if you don't get it, that's typical of Ireland and with an attitude like that you might as well stay at what your at! By the way your forgot to back up your arguement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

There are 300 places up for grabs, stop looking for excuses if you don't get it, that's typical of Ireland and with an attitude like that you might as well stay at what your at! By the way your forgot to back up your arguement!

Your talking s***e Charlie. I would expect you above all to know what goes on if you are in the job!. I know for definate but I would not go into detail for obvious reasons. Naive or innocence I don't know what to call it.

If you are a serving member of An Garda Siochana you must have little connection with the way the selection system operates. I don't need any excuse. I have done my time and I know how it works. Lesson one is not to believe anything that is put on paper about you when it comes to applying for any position in an Garda Siochana. It's the phone call and word of mouth where the real truth is told.

thekopend wrote: »
    Your talking s***e Charlie. I would expect you above all to know what goes on if you are in the job!. I know for definate but I would not go into detail for obvious reasons. Naive or innocence I don't know what to call it.

In the interest of the other 30,000 applicants you should bring your information to the garda ombudsman or shut the feck up!

In the interest of the other 30,000 applicants you should bring your information to the garda ombudsman or shut the feck up!

Do you seriously believe that there is a "paper trail" that the GSOC can use to track down this type of activity? First they would have to look at the careers of some of the former Inspectors and Superintendents they hired and see how they got through the system.

If you are a serving member of An Garda Siochana you must have little connection with the way the selection system operates. I don't need any excuse. I have done my time and I know how it works. Lesson one is not to believe anything that is put on paper about you when it comes to applying for any position in an Garda Siochana. It's the phone call and word of mouth where the real truth is told.

Good luck, I'm out of here, best of luck to those who get in, it seems you are going to be accused of nepotism, feck the begrudgers!

Good luck, I'm out of here, best of luck to those who get in and feck the begrudgers!

Best of luck to those who get in and to those who don't.
    Whatever happens it will be a long time before they get the pay and conditions that those who joined between 1970 and 2009 experienced.
    They are going to be exploited by Government and Garda management and abused by the public for shortcomings in the service due to lack of manpower, training and equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Time to put the handbags away !

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Devil08 wrote: »
    Yes you can't. You either accept or decline. Thousands of people wanting the jobs so don't apply if you can't take it. Apply next time when you are available to take it

You 100% sure of that?

thestar wrote: »
    You 100% sure of that?

Yes u cannot defer as medicals and physical tests are time limited as well as many other reasons.
    You either accept or your place is given to someone else on list and u go back to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Time to put the handbags away !

It seems like it's always handbags at dawn on these Policing threads.

• Advertisement

Yes u cannot defer as medicals and physical tests are time limited as well as many other reasons.
    You either accept or your place is given to someone else on list and u go back to start

Candidates could defer in previous campaigns. Where have you seen/heard otherwise for current campaign?

Candidates could defer in previous campaigns. Where have you seen/heard otherwise for current campaign?

You can go back to the end of the panel. Won't guarantee you a spot in next intake though

You can go back to the end of the panel. Won't guarantee you a spot in next intake though

If anything you would be at beginning of the new panel. You would have proven your ability in the interview and physical test ahead of the panelists. The individual may be deferring for a reason out of their control not necessarily by choice. Garda management will see that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Anyone who wants it would be crazy to defer in any upcoming campaign. No accelerated recruitment anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

If anything you would be at beginning of the new panel. You would have proven your ability in the interview and physical test ahead of the panelists. The individual may be deferring for a reason out of their control not necessarily by choice. Garda management will see that

In previous recruitment campaigns candidates who deferred, regardless of reason, were put to the back of the panel and called up when those now in front had accepted their place. There was generally no issue with deferrals as recruitment was on going and in massive numbers.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

It happened to me as a student and I can empathise, but when you become full time you are seen as a working part of the unit that can actually contribute and investigate incidents and share the workload. That's the problem I have is that people think it can be done part time, I find that insulting and so do the vast majority of members. I've spoken to UK officers and they generally say the same!

More utter rubbish creating stories to put forward his point of view. This poster is not a member of AGS. He is constantly disseminating this bias against the Garda Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

All prison officers and civil servants have had to do 40 years service since 2008. There is no mention of the length of service for new recruits into the Guards...something that needs immediate clarification surely.

Yeah, but what's your source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭pah

Raider190 wrote: »
    More utter rubbish creating stories to put forward his point of view. This poster is not a member of AGS. He is constantly disseminating this bias against the Garda Reserve.

And how do you know that he is not a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

As far as I am aware, there was very fee if anyone on the 09 panel that had a serving garda as a parent so to suggest that was the reason for their selection Is obnoxious. Everyone makes the cut on their own merits. The one piece of advice I would give is to go into the interview room full of confidence because they will go through you for a shortcut if you're nervous. One interviewer was s being particularly difficult questioning everything I said I was calm confident and gave it straight back to him without flinching. I later got feedback saying they were very impressed. Don't be nervous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Raider190 wrote: »

We have to take the posters word. If he says he's a member them we can't say otherwise without proof.

If he doesn't like the Garda reserve then so what? Any Gardai I know don't like them either. We're all entitled to our opinion on this forum.

If you read through some of poppa Charlie's posts, I do find him genuine and helpful

Advertisement