Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I don't think anyone is going to be looked after! Screwed if you get it and screwed if you don't! More screwed if you do though!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Folks.. silly me forgot my login details and what not. Don't ask how ! So I made a new name with a dot in between...im still the same person

Merry Christmas to yee all :)

Just had a thought for some reading for anyone whose interested over the few days... www.policehistory.com is very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

carzony wrote: »
    This is the attitude I developed, not just for the garda recruitment but for everything. I find people just don't wanna listen and have all adopted the attitude ''ah, sure it's a job'' which is unfortunate but there you go mate..

I hate the idea of people getting taken advantage of but if it's the job their happy in then so be it.. I just hope Irish people get preference in this campaign. As an earlier poster said it's time to start looking after our own people..

That's racist, plain and simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

That's racist, plain and simple!

Yeah exactly. The best people will get in and deserve to get it. Irish or non Irish. There are plenty of well capable people out there from all backgrounds.

There can be snobbery and arrogance on this sometimes, and people who seem to know it all just because they think there something special.

Nobody is perfect candidate. Just because your in the reserves, or from the last panel, or have a degree, won an all Ireland, saved someone from a burning building...etc

Everybody has an equal chance no matter who they are, what they've done. It's a long difficult competition and I can't wait for it to start

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Devil08 wrote: »
    That people will actually lower themselves to those standards, show some pride guys.
    Nobodys life is worth risking for 350 a week.

Their really only gonna get 350 a week coming out of college ??? Omg I wouldnt go near it putting up with scum and idiots everyday for min wage, and 30,000 applying for this, are yas all mad, I hope half of them pack it in when they realise its not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Everyone has an equal chance?

then they should pick the 300 new recruits by eeney meeney miney mo or short straw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Their really only gonna get 350 a week coming out of college ??? Omg I wouldnt go near it putting up with scum and idiots everyday for min wage, and 30,000 applying for this, are yas all mad, I hope half of them pack it in when they realise its not worth it.

It was 30,000 people expressing their interest in AGS before applications opened, half of them hit the road once they read conditions of service booklet stating the pay. and probably rightfully so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Folks.. silly me forgot my login details and what not. Don't ask how ! So I made a new name with a dot in between...im still the same person

Come on now Ann you'll need a better memory than that if you gonna join AGS! ;)

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Everyone has an equal chance?

then they should pick the 300 new recruits by eeney meeney miney mo or short straw

Do you really really think so? Why don't we all have an equal chance? Tell me one person who has a sudden advantage?

We all have a 1/30000 chance. As the competition progresses your chances improve.

My point is there are so many well capable people out there. We all have to do the aptitudes and the interview

Do you really really think so? Why don't we all have an equal chance? Tell me one person who has a sudden advantage?

We all have a 1/30000 chance. As the competition progresses your chances improve.

My point is there are so many well capable people out there. We all have to do the aptitudes and the interview

Because life isnt equal

no individual are equal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Because life isnt equal

no individual are equal

Correct, it's like any other job, at interview you will be marked on everything from your education, qualifications, life experience etc.
    No one is equal at that stage. The only stage where everyone has an equal chance is during the app test

Correct, it's like any other job, at interview you will be marked on everything from your education, qualifications, life experience etc.
    No one is equal at that stage. The only stage where everyone has an equal chance is during the app test

Everyone has different aptitudes

Nobody is equal

The way to get ahead is to be less unequal than the rest!

If you get to interview stage, it won't come down to you having a driving licence or first aid, it will come down to the replies to their questions and how you come across, there are people spouting here who must never have done an interview and realise how much weight is given to it, anyone who gets that far has it in their own hands if they prepare well and come across as decent reliable people rather than coming across as arrogant and condecending but with a first aid course and a few hours in the reserve!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Is the length of service for new recruits 30 years or 40 years, in line with the rest of the public service?

How would this affect applicants that are over 25 and would not have the 40 years done when they reach retirement age?

Is the length of service for new recruits 30 years or 40 years, in line with the rest of the public service?

How would this affect applicants that are over 25 and would not have the 40 years done when they reach retirement age?

Im of the impression its 30years still

front line policing is a a big of an anomoly in terms of public service due to the nature of the work, like the DF

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

If you get to interview stage, it won't come down to you having a driving licence or first aid, it will come down to the replies to their questions and how you come across, there are people spouting here who must never have done an interview and realise how much weight is given to it, anyone who gets that far has it in their own hands if they prepare well and come across as decent reliable people rather than coming across as arrogant and condecending but with a first aid course and a few hours in the reserve!

Papa Charlie never fails to express his contempt for the garda reserve . Extremely worrying for someone who states he is a full time member ??????. No way I believe that. He is however right it will come down to your interview performance and this is where specific talents , skills and garda reserve experience will come into play. Remember answer the question , don't waffle and be precise and detailed, it is a compantancy basis interview designed to assess skill and experience

Everyone has different aptitudes

Nobody is equal

The way to get ahead is to be less unequal than the rest!

My point is we all have less then 1% chance right now.

Once you pass each stage you have the same chance as the people moving forward with you.

I hate seeing people come on here bragging about themselves putting other people down. No body is a special case in this competition.

The only time you have to impress someone is at the interview stage

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    And a good few of them "tits" are behind the wheels of patrol cars. Whatever they learn on the driving course is quickly forgotten.

Now what would you know about it. Are you even applying and I don't think so why are you posting

My point is we all have less then 1% chance right now.

Once you pass each stage you have the same chance as the people moving forward with you.

I hate seeing people come on here bragging about themselves putting other people down. No body is a special case in this competition.

The only time you have to impress someone is at the interview stage

Totally correct this will the time for people to shine and demonstrate why they are worthy of the opportunity to train in templemore

Raider190 wrote: »
    Papa Charlie never fails to express his contempt for the garda reserve . Extremely worrying for someone who states he is a full time member ??????. No way I believe that. He is however right it will come down to your interview performance and this is where specific talents , skills and garda reserve experience will come into play. Remember answer the question , don't waffle and be precise and detailed, it is a compantancy basis interview designed to assess skill and experience

Yes, I don't like the reserve I think its a load of baloney, I would much prefer to have seen the resources that were pumped into it having been spent on recruiting full time members earlier than now. I believe it got the government of the hook when it came to stalling recruitment and has hindered AGS in terms of full time resources. I am convinced by the way they have given no preference to reserves in this recruitment that the Government don't see the merit in it and that the feedback they are getting from Garda management is negative in terms of opening the door to the reserve to get in fulltime. That info is coming from the ground up from members like me. The vast majority of members feel the same but won't say it to your face! I have met some good reserves and I hope they do get in but they are in the minority.

• Advertisement

Im of the impression its 30years still

front line policing is a a big of an anomoly in terms of public service due to the nature of the work, like the DF

Prison Officers now have to do 40 years...figured Guards might be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

upper age limit of 35 plus 40 is 75years old?

i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PhilippaF

Can anyone tell me how long does the workplace relationship sort out the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Where'd you get that from?

Alot of these whispers were just recommendations that haven't acutally been applied yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Yes, I don't like the reserve I think its a load of baloney, I would much prefer to have seen the resources that were pumped into it having been spent on recruiting full time members earlier than now. I believe it got the government of the hook when it came to stalling recruitment and has hindered AGS in terms of full time resources. I am convinced by the way they have given no preference to reserves in this recruitment that the Government don't see the merit in it and that the feedback they are getting from Garda management is negative in terms of opening the door to the reserve to get in fulltime. That info is coming from the ground up from members like me. The vast majority of members feel the same but won't say it to your face! I have met some good reserves and I hope they do get in but they are in the minority.

If they had put the time and effort into making it work it would have, integration non existence, that was the biggest problem, lack of PO powers, bowing down to the GRA on having to have them ( Babysat ) GRA words for the past 5yrs at their Annual conference, they should have followed the concept adapted in the Uk full stop.

As for all jobs including FT ags members there are tits in them all and some should have never have got in, experience can only be gained when you come in and participate, not hindered and ignored or left sitting like a plank as is the case in some stations, eventually people think i can sit at home and not have to be ignored or left sitting here and there so people just dont bother going in once that happens its hard to get people motivated again, so Pappa Charilie you where once a student would you have liken that to have happened to you, would it have inspired or motivated you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And that's exactly what's wrong with this country. It's only an employers market because we allow it to be. If people had more pride and refused to work for less than what they feel they deserve, then employees would have the upper hand.
    Just because there is a recession people shouldn't get soft and bow to fat cats like shatter and Kenny.
    So good luck to YOU and the rest. I know who I'd rather be

Pride?
    People do take your approach.
    There are countless people in this country who refuse to work for less then what they think they deserve, and if you become a Garda, trust me, you will spend a great deal of time dealing with them.

It's a simple matter of supply and demand.

bluetop wrote: »
    If they had put the time and effort into making it work it would have, integration non existence, that was the biggest problem, lack of PO powers, bowing down to the GRA on having to have them ( Babysat ) GRA words for the past 5yrs at their Annual conference, they should have followed the concept adapted in the Uk full stop.

As for all jobs including FT ags members there are tits in them all and some should have never have got in, experience can only be gained when you come in and participate, not hindered and ignored or left sitting like a plank as is the case in some stations, eventually people think i can sit at home and not have to be ignored or left sitting here and there so people just dont bother going in once that happens its hard to get people motivated again, so Pappa Charilie you where once a student would you have liken that to have happened to you, would it have inspired or motivated you.

It happened to me as a student and I can empathise, but when you become full time you are seen as a working part of the unit that can actually contribute and investigate incidents and share the workload. That's the problem I have is that people think it can be done part time, I find that insulting and so do the vast majority of members. I've spoken to UK officers and they generally say the same!

Where'd you get that from?

Alot of these whispers were just recommendations that haven't acutally been applied yet.

All prison officers and civil servants have had to do 40 years service since 2008. There is no mention of the length of service for new recruits into the Guards...something that needs immediate clarification surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

All prison officers and civil servants have had to do 40 years service since 2008. There is no mention of the length of service for new recruits into the Guards...something that needs immediate clarification surely.

i'd say it'll be 40 years if that's the case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

It's 30 years

Advertisement