Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I have a full fetac level 5 cert in security studies but no leaving cert, can I still apply or is it strictly leaving cert ?

yes you CAN apply. the minimum is level 5.. where did you do that course btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

How does it work as regards where you're stationed if you get the job? I know you have to be a certain distance from where you're from but are you likely to get a preference on where to go or is it a case of just being assigned somewhere and that's it.

thebuzz wrote: »
    How does it work as regards where you're stationed if you get the job? I know you have to be a certain distance from where you're from but are you likely to get a preference on where to go or is it a case of just being assigned somewhere and that's it.

given the amount of people looking for the work.. you'll be thrown somewhere and that'll be it..:rolleyes: i'd say the 'lucky' people selected will be thrown into the deep end and given very little guidance considering how resources are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

thebuzz wrote: »

You will be assigned to a station as the administration in HRM sees fit. This is usually decided on the requirements of each Garda Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Usually you can give one or two preferences of general location, but it’s really up to them, where they need Guards at the time and it’s the luck of the draw. If you’re a young single guy/girl with no kids you’re likely to be sent anywhere. I’d imagine more than likely most will be sent to Dublin, Cork and Limerick cities and county,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

What do people make of this? Got it off Kildarestreet.ie, was asked this week

Department of Justice and Equality
    Garda Recruitment

John Deasy (Waterford, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context
    452. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if members of the Garda Reserve gain any credits from their work in the Garda Reserve when making a full application to join An Garda Síochána; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [54282/13]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013. These regulations provide that in a competition for full-time membership of An Garda Síochána, the Public Appointments Service shall give due recognition to any satisfactory service by the candidate as a Reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

mycro89 wrote: »
    What do people make of this? Got it off Kildarestreet.ie, was asked this week

Department of Justice and Equality
    Garda Recruitment

John Deasy (Waterford, Fine Gael)
    452. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if members of the Garda Reserve gain any credits from their work in the Garda Reserve when making a full application to join An Garda Síochána; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [54282/13]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013. These regulations provide that in a competition for full-time membership of An Garda Síochána, the Public Appointments Service shall give due recognition to any satisfactory service by the candidate as a Reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

nothing new here

thats the standard answer for a question like this

i think shatter gets asked this every week and he replies with the same answer

google the admission and appointments regs and then see what you think it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Scouser wrote: »
    google the admission and appointments regs and then see what you think it means

It means that Reserve experience counts, just like any other relevant experience and qualifications count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

It means that Reserve experience counts, just like any other relevant experience and qualifications count.

It's the same old generic answer. He just said they will be getting recognition for satisfactory service, and nothing about any extra credit.

Does that mean not every reserve will gain recognition? Or is it just the ones that were satisfactory?

You would think that the reserves would be given extra credit, but it's obviously not the case if they only get recognition.

Looks like it's a level playing field for all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Looks like it's a level playing field for all

The only way it should be.

• Advertisement

Id say the difference will be at interview

for Joe Public, the interview board will have an application form with relevant competencies, experience etc in front of them

for GR's, the interview board will have an application form with relevant competencies, experience etc in front of them as well as a report on their service, conduct, arrests, summons etc including a reference from their unit sgt, reserve liaison inspector and superintendent overseeing their district

thats how I see it anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Does anyone know when we will receive emails regarding the online aptitude, the only email I have received since submitting the initial application is confirmation of submission, I'm assuming it will be once the the submission for applications has closed, also anyone heard of numbers so far that have applied?

yeah you will get an email after the closing date advising you on when to do the test

sit tight until then

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RANDOMUSER

Id say the difference will be at interview

for Joe Public, the interview board will have an application form with relevant competencies, experience etc in front of them

for GR's, the interview board will have an application form with relevant competencies, experience etc in front of them as well as a report on their service, conduct, arrests, summons etc including a reference from their unit sgt, reserve liaison inspector and superintendent overseeing their district

thats how I see it anyways

Assuming it's competency based interviews the interview board will not have any of your Reserve service history in front of them. It would beadministratively impossible In a way its irrelevant to the interview board as they have to base the interview entirely on your competencies. Also in order for the interviews to be fair and equitable all candidates will have to be interviewed using more or less the same questions which all have to relate to the competency being asked.

I think the only upside of being a Reserve is that you should have more knowledge of what is required to do the job which in turn should be then made obvious within your answers to the competencies required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Well here is one less person going for it! I didn't realise how bloody awful the pay was going to be. I am not going to up scuttle myself away from my children and husband for what is a laughable rate of pay. Yes the job interests me greatly but from now on I will watch CSI and perhaps pretend I'm one of them by using my imagination. But that is the only detective work I will be involved in unfortunately.

It used to be a good job, a good career. But it's nowhere near as attractive as it used to be in my opinion. I wish you all, everyone of you the very best of luck and I sincerely mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Does anyone know when we will receive emails regarding the online aptitude, the only email I have received since submitting the initial application is confirmation of submission, I'm assuming it will be once the the submission for applications has closed, also anyone heard of numbers so far that have applied?

Yep, sit tight until then! Check that abstract reasoning Sh*te out! That part is way harder than anything we did up your way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

lukesmom wrote: »
    Well here is one less person going for it! I didn't realise how bloody awful the pay was going to be. I am not going to up scuttle myself away from my children and husband for what is a laughable rate of pay. Yes the job interests me greatly but from now on I will watch CSI and perhaps pretend I'm one of them by using my imagination. But that is the only detective work I will be involved in unfortunately.

It used to be a good job, a good career. But it's nowhere near as attractive as it used to be in my opinion. I wish you all, everyone of you the very best of luck and I sincerely mean that.

I hear you! Its absolutely crap money and if they take away the rent allowance it would be next to impossible to survive, pay rent and pay the mortgage. I'm still going to go for it and see what happens but I do wonder how I would manage on those wages. Makes me regret not applying for the PSNI when recruitment was open!

I don't think your the only one feeling like that. Very disappointing considering most of us have been waiting 5 years for it to open up again. We always knew it'd be crap pay but jesus :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cornee

any other job lads, the guards is the worst job you could get

cornee wrote: »

What do you do for a living?

• Advertisement

cornee wrote: »

No need to troll..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Thanks for kind words lukesmom

carzony wrote: »
    No need to troll..

Everyone entitled to their opinion in my book

carzony wrote: »
    No need to troll..

Everyone entitled to their opinion in my book

Thanks for kind words lukesmom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Like what others have said, it's kinda no different from any other career you go into were the money has been stripped to bare minimum, the plus side of it all bare in mind, is incremental pay, obviously we don't know if the incremence has changed much, but from what I have seen is that over so many years the pay does get substantially better, policing in general is going back in time, it's the same in England and Wales with the Winsor report police forces in those areas are starting officers on 18k GBP per year, mind you that's not far off what a newly recruited Gardai will be on lol, unfortunately policing in general has been ravaged, plus sides are it's a career for life no fears of being made redundant, pension isn't too bad, and opportunity within the career itself, I think if your young with no ties or financial commitments it's perfect, those who are seeking a second choice of a career it might not be as easy as that with financial commitments and families they would potentially have, those who are older with families and commitments would have to think harder than say someone 22 with no commitments what so ever, that's my take on it anyway, but what the hell do I know lol

Like what others have said, it's kinda no different from any other career you go into were the money has been stripped to bare minimum, the plus side of it all bare in mind, is incremental pay, obviously we don't know if the incremence has changed much, but from what I have seen is that over so many years the pay does get substantially better, policing in general is going back in time, it's the same in England and Wales with the Winsor report police forces in those areas are starting officers on 18k GBP per year, mind you that's not far off what a newly recruited Gardai will be on lol, unfortunately policing in general has been ravaged, plus sides are it's a career for life no fears of being made redundant, pension isn't too bad, and opportunity within the career itself, I think if your young with no ties or financial commitments it's perfect, those who are seeking a second choice of a career it might not be as easy as that with financial commitments and families they would potentially have, those who are older with families and commitments would have to think harder than say someone 22 with no commitments what so ever, that's my take on it anyway, but what the hell do I know lol

if there was a significant increase in your pay every year then it wouldnt be to bad.

RANDOMUSER wrote: »
    Assuming it's competency based interviews the interview board will not have any of your Reserve service history in front of them. It would beadministratively impossible In a way its irrelevant to the interview board as they have to base the interview entirely on your competencies. Also in order for the interviews to be fair and equitable all candidates will have to be interviewed using more or less the same questions which all have to relate to the competency being asked.

I think the only upside of being a Reserve is that you should have more knowledge of what is required to do the job which in turn should be then made obvious within your answers to the competencies required.

Your right. It would be impossible for them to have all that in front of them when there interviewing reserves. Alot of those documents are all private, and I don't see how they could be used for a public interview to become a Garda trainee.

You can't rely on one particular aspect and hope that it's going to get you the job either. You may be a reserve and have the experience of wearing the uniform, but there going to want other examples of competencies from other areas of your life such as work, sport, community work etc. to employ the best candidates.

I think the people that pass the interview and go on to the next stage will be the ones that have all the right experiences in different aspects of day to day life. Being a reserve should be a bonus because of the experience you should have.

Then again you don't actually need reserve experience to apply, plus there are 1,200 reserves and 30,000 people seemingly applying. The people that are offered places are going to deserve it. No matter what background, or experiences they've had.

Your right. It would be impossible for them to have all that in front of them when there interviewing reserves. Alot of those documents are all private, and I don't see how they could be used for a public interview to become a Garda trainee.

You can't rely on one particular aspect and hope that it's going to get you the job either. You may be a reserve and have the experience of wearing the uniform, but there going to want other examples of competencies from other areas of your life such as work, sport, community work etc. to employ the best candidates.

I think the people that pass the interview and go on to the next stage will be the ones that have all the right experiences in different aspects of day to day life. Being a reserve should be a bonus because of the experience you should have.

Then again you don't actually need reserve experience to apply, plus there are 1,200 reserves and 30,000 people seemingly applying. The people that are offered places are going to deserve it. No matter what background, or experiences they've had.

well there is a senior Garda officer on the interview board so they would be authorised to view these reports - so theres no issue there

also, reserve gardai are parents, employees, coaches, community workers etc outside of the reserve so they will be bringing all the relevant life experiences to the interview that you will but they will also have the experience of frontline policing which not many else will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

well there is a senior Garda officer on the interview board so they would be authorised to view these reports - so theres no issue there

also, reserve gardai are parents, employees, coaches, community workers etc outside of the reserve so they will be bringing all the relevant life experiences to the interview that you will but they will also have the experience of frontline policing which not many else will

It's not that long ago people were saying on this forum that reserves would be given priority, they are now in the aptitude stage with the same chance as everyone else, to me the job has cut them loose and if they did it for the aptitude test they will do it at interview if they feel they are not up to a full time role which is a different kettle of fish, in fact some reserves may come across as being cocky at the interview stage and get a surprise, I just hope the best people get the jobs!

Advertisement