Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (Leaving Cert 2012)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

Does anyone know how many marks go for sticking to the title in the essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

20 marks for ideas
    80 marks for language and grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Laura.12

How long are people's irish essays for paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Does anyone know how many marks go for sticking to the title in the essay?

20 marks go for subject, ie, sticking to the title.
    You can get no marks for your full essay of it is completely off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Laura.12 wrote: »
    How long are people's irish essays for paper 1?

around 600 words..

• Advertisement

xclw wrote: »
    around 600 words..

It's changed from 600 words to 450 on the new LC course.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    It's changed from 600 words to 450 on the new LC course.

wait so we have 2 hours to write 450 words :O does it make much of a difference if you got over that amount and wrote 600?

imelle wrote: »
    wait so we have 2 hours to write 450 words :O does it make much of a difference if you got over that amount and wrote 600?

450/500 would be minimum.
    You can write 600 no problem.
    I would say though, as a corrector, I wouldn't go too much over 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

I have no idea where to start with the essays! Daoine Oga, Recession, Gaeilge, Alcohol and road safety and if I learn debate vocab should I be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

What do people think will come up for the essay??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lkate

bdoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about it. The new papers will be there for you on Monday afternoon. Makes no difference to the exam.
    Surely it will make a difference? There are going to be different essay titles like.. topics people are predicting to come up may not be on the back up paper like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

lkate wrote: »
    Surely it will make a difference? There are going to be different essay titles like.. topics people are predicting to come up may not be on the back up paper like.

Or, they may be on the back up paper, and not the original one. As far as I know, the 2 papers are made independently, so they could easily have the same or similar topics. Even if something unexpected is on the paper on Monday, you'll have no idea if what you wanted was on the other one, so just continue your study as normal and don't worry about it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Loving the fact that it's 20 marks for content and 80 marks for language and grammar. Finally my 14 years of Irish will come into some use! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

lkate wrote: »

Predictions are hardly reliable. Paper could be easier, could be harder, either way everyone is getting the same paper any you'll never know what was on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Can someone tell me what is coming up on Paper 1 in Ordinary Level?

I went into the Pre's unaware and now I am going into the real thing unaware it seems... Need to know what I should learn and whats coming up as I want to do some tomorrow and Sunday and am praying for a B1 or something in Irish to boost my points... I have good basic Irish so if I am aware of whats coming up I should be prepared by Monday..

Can someone tell me what is coming up on Paper 1 in Ordinary Level?

I went into the Pre's unaware and now I am going into the real thing unaware it seems... Need to know what I should learn and whats coming up as I want to do some tomorrow and Sunday and am praying for a B1 or something in Irish to boost my points... I have good basic Irish so if I am aware of whats coming up I should be prepared by Monday..

You don't know what's on paper 1 and you want to get a B1?:confused: Did you not ask your Irish teacher to go through the paper with you?

Paper 1 includes Aural and Written.
    In the written section you have a choice of 4 things(story/essay/conversation/letter etc...). You have to do 2 of the 4 written parts. Both are worth 50 marks each.

You don't know what's on paper 1 and you want to get a B1?:confused: Did you not ask your Irish teacher to go through the paper with you?

Paper 1 includes Aural and Written.
    In the written section you have a choice of 4 things(story/essay/conversation/letter etc...). You have to do 2 of the 4 written parts. Both are worth 50 marks each.

Well she said what was coming up but I wasn't paying much attention :rolleyes:

Setting myself with high limits... What will the story be about? An accident?.. Whats the possible options here thats more likely to come up?... Does the accounts of some short stories not come up like we done one of someone drinking in belfast or something and gets shot at the end when he walks out of Chinese or is that in paper 2?...

Might do Story and Essay are they pretty much not the same kind of thing though?... What sort Essay come up also?

Thanks for help :)

Well she said what was coming up but I wasn't paying much attention :rolleyes:

Setting myself with high limits... What will the story be about? An accident?.. Whats the possible options here thats more likely to come up?... Does the accounts of some short stories not come up like we done one of someone drinking in belfast or something and gets shot at the end when he walks out of Chinese or is that in paper 2?...

Might do Story and Essay are they pretty much not the same kind of thing though?... What sort Essay come up also?

Thanks for help :)

The short stories come up on paper 2.
    The story or essay that you write for paper 1 could be based on anything.
    For the story, you get a sentence(any sentence at all) and you must continue the story from there.
    Have you looked at the past papers?

The short stories come up on paper 2.
    The story or essay that you write for paper 1 could be based on anything.
    For the story, you get a sentence(any sentence at all) and you must continue the story from there.
    Have you looked at the past papers?

No have not lol, must take a look at them... This year I taught was new course?.. Maybe Paper 1 hasn't changed... Should be grand with story probably be about an accident or something along the lines so will learn some of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

just wondering if anyone has the info to update me on what came up on the irish papers one and two? Essay titles, scéal? which poem and prose came up? What was the an triail question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Frainc wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone has the info to update me on what came up on the irish papers one and two? Essay titles, scéal? which poem and prose came up? What was the an triail question?

Can't remember what all of Irish Paper 1 was except what I did: one scéal was about you playing football and it's your perfect opportunity to score and the other was where you were begging for water.

The Prós were Hurlamaboc and Oisín i dTír and the poems were Géibhean and An tEarrach Thiar. This was for OL by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Frainc wrote: »

They're up on examinations.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

They're up on examinations.ie :)

I was very happy with the exam paper, just viewed it online.

I took a gamble with the essay and we prepared one main essay that could be adapted to a series of titles and their prepared essay was directly related to the titles in the exam paper, thank God!

Our students prepared an essay Sochaí na hÉireann in An Triail and four of the main characters! and it should suit the question very well. The aural questions seem uncomplicated. We spent the last two weeks doing Hurlamaboc, thank God that came up. An t-Earrach Thiar is not a complicated poem, I hope they revised that one in their studies. I just pray the class did what I told them!!!

Advertisement