Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (Leaving Cert 2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

how are people approaching the gramadach? seems to be a big emphasis of it in comprehensions

• Registered Users Posts: 27 biomedgirl

Has anyone been given any tips for how to allocate the time for Irish Paper 2 (honours) ????

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beckyy

No one else worried about the masterpieces they must be expecting for the essay in P1 now that you have so long to do it?! :O AHHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Can someone PLEEEASE explain to me, with great detail, the paper layout? I have the sample papers, obviously, but my class was told my our teacher that you got no choice in the poem but appaz you do? HEEELP!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Nope, no choice in the poem or prose sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Nope, no choice in the poem or prose sadly.

You kind of do, there is no choice on the theme you have to write about but you can pick from any poem on the course.

No you cant? It prints the poem you have to talk about and gives you a specific question like "the funny side of mo ghrása idir luibini" or 'dís gives us an insight into married life'. you might be thinking of the optional poetry but even still its not much of a choice imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

You kind of do, there is no choice on the theme you have to write about but you can pick from any poem on the course.

You're thinking of the cursa roghnach which most people don't do, you still have to answer the first part too as far as I'm aware. Most people choose to do An Triail instead of 10 poems.

Nah my sister does the extra poems and it still prints one for you to write about, I'm not sure what that person is thinking of at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

On the topic of picture stories, what were they thinking? We've 5 for German, that's enough. Are ye all learning off stuff or trying to string a few lines together on the day? Our grinds teacher said that examiners will expect that section of the oral to last 8 minutes :eek: better have something to say!

Surely they'll have to mark it easier seeing as it's the first year... aiming at a C1 or higher...

• Advertisement

I've been writing out a page and a half for each picture sequence. It's almost better to stop and think a bit I think, takes up the time :P I'd be terrified to try to improvise it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Beckyy wrote: »
    No one else worried about the masterpieces they must be expecting for the essay in P1 now that you have so long to do it?! :O AHHH

I had paper 1 of the mock today. 2 hours for an essay!? I didn't even realise it until the fecking exam. People were handing their essays up after an hour and I was sitting there like eh.. no way am i handing it up until these 2 hours are up. xD So I kept writing more and more. :D Just waffling.. :pac:
    It's such a stupid paper though.. only the essay and the listening. S: There should be the two comprehensions on it too.. would make more sense!! O: Stupid eejits that set up the new layouts whoever they were. :P Am not looking forward to paper 2.. not at all!

Agreed! so much time for the essay, "to get it right". Ehhh I'm not gonna make a mistake then have a brainwave of how to correct myself by sitting there for half an hour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I've been writing out a page and a half for each picture sequence. It's almost better to stop and think a bit I think, takes up the time :P I'd be terrified to try to improvise it on the day.
    Same here regards the page and a half, and are you learning those off? I'm trying but there's alot in it :(. I think they put so many different stories in to put people off learning them before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I'm delighted with two hours for the essay to be honest, that means that if one comes up that I haven't studied or haven't studied properly I have loads of time to brainstorm and formulate an (albeit ****e) answer! :D

What's everyone studying for the essays by the way? We've done poverty, the president, the state of the irish language and we'll be doing the olympics.

Would it be worthwhile doing one essay on young people, road safety and anti-social behaviour? It all sort of links in like...I'm sure that one essay would fit all three. "Anti social behaviour is mainly young people, theyre not safe on roads" / "Road safety is non-existant due to young people's antisocial behaviour" / "Young people are anti-social and bad on the roads" idk :P I'm just worried my 4 wont cover me, 100 marks is a lot to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

I'm delighted with two hours for the essay to be honest, that means that if one comes up that I haven't studied or haven't studied properly I have loads of time to brainstorm and formulate an (albeit ****e) answer! :D

Your logic has taken a huge weight off my shoulders :pac:

stealing your idea ^^;

Bubbleope wrote: »
    I had paper 1 of the mock today. 2 hours for an essay!? I didn't even realise it until the fecking exam. People were handing their essays up after an hour and I was sitting there like eh.. no way am i handing it up until these 2 hours are up. xD So I kept writing more and more. :D Just waffling.. :pac:
    It's such a stupid paper though.. only the essay and the listening. S: There should be the two comprehensions on it too.. would make more sense!! O: Stupid eejits that set up the new layouts whoever they were. :P Am not looking forward to paper 2.. not at all!

God your mocks are early. Still got two weeks 'till mine.. Bet they took the comprehensions out 'cus people were stealing stuff from them and using it in their essays ;)

good luck anyways..:eek:

What's everyone studying for the essays by the way? We've done poverty, the president, the state of the irish language and we'll be doing the olympics.

Would it be worthwhile doing one essay on young people, road safety and anti-social behaviour? It all sort of links in like...I'm sure that one essay would fit all three. "Anti social behaviour is mainly young people, theyre not safe on roads" / "Road safety is non-existant due to young people's antisocial behaviour" / "Young people are anti-social and bad on the roads" idk :P I'm just worried my 4 wont cover me, 100 marks is a lot to lose!

Can you tell me what you wrote about for the President one? We haven't done that essay in school, and I'd say it was a possibility, I just haven't a clue what to write! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

the new course is lovely, i'm a repeat and it was way harder last year.
    last year for paper 2 ya had to do 5 pros, 11 poems, an triail and stair na gaeilge.
    and we didn't have a choice either for the pros because you had to write about 2 - one which was a choice and one compulsory, the poems you had 5 pass and to write about 2 again one compulsory and one choice, and a choice of 2 out of the other 6.
    trust me the paper is way nicer this year.

the only thing i think is they should have left the comprehensions on paper 1 and kept the aural the same length, it's too short.

and to be honest 20 sraithpictiuri isn't bad i mean for starters you are not meant to be learning off what you arer saying about them, the irish oral is about your fluency of irish and thinking in it off the top of your head, and think of the amount of marks that are going for it!

• Advertisement

Can you tell me what you wrote about for the President one? We haven't done that essay in school, and I'd say it was a possibility, I just haven't a clue what to write! :pac:
    The title was "Do we need a president in Ireland?" but it'd fit with anything about the president really or things like heroes of the country :) I wrote about how we definitely need a president because they represent us and show our best side internationally, and little bits like "the election is very picky but thats no harm in such an important competition" so its not a bland essay or something :P Then we got a photocopy where Foinse had interviewed the candidates and quoted Micky D and then I think it was David Norris and wrote "Why wouldnt we want someone like this running the country?". I cant remember exactly but that was the general idea of it :P
    I put something in about the economy being bad though, luckily only very slightly, dont do that! The president isnt involved in that, derp :P

The title was "Do we need a president in Ireland?" but it'd fit with anything about the president really or things like heroes of the country :) I wrote about how we definitely need a president because they represent us and show our best side internationally, and little bits like "the election is very picky but thats no harm in such an important competition" so its not a bland essay or something :P Then we got a photocopy where Foinse had interviewed the candidates and quoted Micky D and then I think it was David Norris and wrote "Why wouldnt we want someone like this running the country?". I cant remember exactly but that was the general idea of it :P
    I put something in about the economy being bad though, luckily only very slightly, dont do that! The president isnt involved in that, derp :P

:D Thank you!! The only idea I had was to write about the election.. :p I'll give it a go anyway!

Think it's a possible mock? I've decided to just learn about 4 topics and improvise :rolleyes:

:D Thank you!! The only idea I had was to write about the election.. :p I'll give it a go anyway!

Think it's a possible mock? I've decided to just learn about 4 topics and improvise :rolleyes:
    No problem! :) Haha yeah same, it's always good to look at the bigger picture :P Make sure to get some notes on it first, its really helpful because then you wont make grammar mistakes :) I'd definitely say it could be a mock question! It's topical enough really and if my teacher thinks it could come up, I'm sure whoever made the mocks might think so too and put it in some way :) It might not be a direct question but it'll be useful somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Don't tar all Irish teachers with the one brush! Re-educating? :confused:.
    Not all teachers are the same and that goes for any subject.
    I totally agree! We have a class Irish department in our school and no one has been getting under Cs in our Higher level class!
    And I dunno what everyone is doing complaining about the new paper layout. We have it so much handier than last year! :D Just focus a good bit on listening to Irish radio stations and TG4 and going over your sraithpictuirí every so often and you'll be grand! Personally, I'm delighted with the change! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I would say there's a good chance of the essay being on the economy (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

I LOVE THIS NEW IRISH COURSE. STOP COMPLAINING!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i have a question about the leamhthuiscints
    do we just have to copy the answer and quote from the text or do ya have to put it into your own words. my teacher told me just to copy but i don't trust her :/

Mine says dont copy, but I've heard you can. What I'd do is copy only if you have to - change even the verb if you can. That way, even if you get a "die-hard" marker who refuses to accept that we dont have to change them, you'll still get the marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    I LOVE THIS NEW IRISH COURSE. STOP COMPLAINING!
    PEOPLE DO WHAT YOU SAY IF YOU WRITE IT IN CAPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

xclw wrote: »
    i have a question about the leamhthuiscints
    do we just have to copy the answer and quote from the text or do ya have to put it into your own words. my teacher told me just to copy but i don't trust her :/
    My teacher says you don't need to paraphrase. So you can just take your answer straight from the text. But, if you take too much i.e if the answer was sentence Y from the text and you gave sentence X & Y in your answer you will be deducted marks so an understanding of the question and the text is kind of important! :p

Advertisement